Jurgensen would let next coach choose his QB

More transcribed Redskins quotes! But only good ones!

The playcalling

Sure, the offense seemed better Sunday, but Joe Theismann still assassinated the playcalling system on his ESPN 980 show Monday morning.

"You know what we ought to do?" he said at one point. "Really, the Redskins ought to do this: they ought to send a mass e-mail out and just take suggestions from the fans. You know, 'What do you want to call on the first fourth-and-1. What do you want to call on 3rd-and-short?' Could it really be worse?"

Either that, or put Steve Czaban in charge. (And yes, it could be worse. They scored 24 points on Sunday. Would the fans have called their way to that?)

Picking the next QB

Much was made of the fact that the Redskins were off scouting Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen last week. When Sonny Jurgensen appeared on ESPN 980's Monday Morning Quarterback show, he was asked which collegiate quarterbacks he likes.

"If they are going to change coaches here and have different leadership in the front office, I would let them make that decision," Jurgensen said. "I wouldn't be trying to make that for them now. You understand what I'm saying? I think that is their job. If I'm the coach coming in here, excuse me, I want to pick my own quarterback."

"How about picking your own everything?" Kevin Sheehan suggested with just a drop of sarcasm. "How about not coming in and having the D coordinator already here or the offensive coordinator already here?

"I want to work with the people that I feel can help me be successful and make us all successful, and I want people smarter than I am, so that we can win," Sonny agreed. "I mean, that's what you have to do. If you don't do that, you're an idiot."

NFC East overrated?

"I look at the entire division, and I'll just say it's the most overrated division in the league," Rodney Harrison said on NBC's Football Night in America. "Everyone looks at the NFC East and says, 'Well, it's such a physical, it's such a hard-nosed division. I don't see that right now when I look at this division."

Onside kick dumb?

I'm not sure exactly what to say about that game-opening onside kick call. But Moose Johnston was sure what it meant.

"I'll tell you, that shows you a lot about what Andy Reid thinks of this Washington team," Moose said on the Fox telecast. "This defense for the Redskins is good. They're going to have their struggles offensively today, but Andy Reid respects this team enough as a divisional opponent, regardless of their record right now, to come out and start the game with an onside kick."

See, "Andy Reid thinks the Redskins have a great defense" wasn't actually the first thing that popped into my mind, but maybe that's just me.

"I was laughing at the announcers telling everyone how much Andy Reid must respect the Redskins that he called an onside kick," Chris Cooley said on DC101's Elliot in the Morning on Monday. "I thought that was a complete lack of respect, and I feel like we handled it well....Here's why that happens. Because you scout a team, and you look at the five guys you have out front on their kickoff return team, and you see guys that start to back off a little bit further. You see guys that start to run early, before the kicker kicks it. And so there had to have been some kind of a key in our front line that they thought they could get a ball from us. It's not like you just say, 'All right, onside kick, let's go get it on the first play of the game.' You've scouted that out. I'm sure the Eagles scouted that and saw something that they liked, but we handled it well."

I've never thought this before, but maybe Cooley has a future in broadcasting. He handled that a lot better than Moose did.

No words

Jim Zorn's honesty after the game continued to make you want to cry.

"I think our players are doing what we ask them all to do," Zorn said. "And then to come out on the short end of it, it's a very difficult emotion to have to come and speak right after a game like this, and make sense of it. I do better when I watch it and I can really see what happened. It's just so quick after the game, it's hard to have any words, really."

He also said this: "I hope we talk sense and sanity into what we find ourselves in, and that's difficult."

Not sure what that means, but it sounds really bad.

By Dan Steinberg  |  November 30, 2009; 10:23 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cooley defends Haynesworth
Next: The play-calling trapezoid's finest hour

Comments

Isn't that exactly what Cerrato has done? So he is not the coach, but he was told to run the team, so he hired the coaches he wanted and surrounded himself with people smarter than him (?) ... mmm ... easier say than done.

Posted by: hock1 | November 30, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Rodney Harrison can have another steroid sandwich and find an old lady to blindside.

I could care less what that cheating cheap-shot artist thinks of anything going on in football.

Between Keith Olbermann, Rodney Harrison and Tiki Barber, I think NBC is purposefully trying to find the most irritating personalities to put on their Sunday Night Broadcast.

Posted by: p1funk | November 30, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Chris Cooley and I'll even go further to say that just shows the lack of respect Andy Reid has for our offense (as he should). He's essentially risking an extra possession because he knows the Redskins can't score. And he did it twice!!

Posted by: tundey | November 30, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Zorn talks like he takes several long sniffs of a dry erase marker before coming out to meet the press.

Posted by: nojunk4me | November 30, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't it just make sense that a coach would want players and coaches of his own choosing? When the Redskins hired people before they hired a head coach I think it hamstrung Jim Zorn from day one. That's not saying that Zorn didn't hamstring himself with some of his own picks for coaches, but I think it did put him in a bad position. It detracts from the coach's authority. As far as choosing his own QB, do you think Jim Zorn would have liked to have that luxury?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 30, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I would not be so quick to write off Phil Daniels. That guy is a physical stud, and a complete professional. Wynn, definitely say Thanks and Well Done.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | November 30, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

From www.nfldraftbible.com ---

Report: Clausen To Declare; Redskins Watch
Written by NFL Draft Bible
Sunday, 29 November 2009 12:04

"Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen will skip his senior season and enter the NFL draft in April, according to Joe Schad of ESPN.

"This report came one day after news broke that the Clausen family has sold its South Bend home, a sign that Jimmy planned to leave Notre Dame after this season.

"The Redskins have already sent scouts to South Bend to take a look at Clausen. Drafting a QB with their first round pick despite glaring needs on the offensive line and at running back is exactly the type of bone-headed move we've come to love from Dan Snyder & Co."

Posted by: skinssox01 | November 30, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

"When the Redskins hired people before they hired a head coach I think it hamstrung Jim Zorn from day one."

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 30, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Keep in mind that Zorn wasn't even brought here to be the head coach. He was only supposed to be the offensive coordinator, but got the job when everyone Danny went after turned him down. They rejected his overtures because, as mentioned above, they wanted to select their own people and Danny wouldn't let them do it. Just another part of the dysfunction that has destroyed this organization.

Posted by: stwasm | November 30, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Relax skinssox01!

All teams have scouts. They are supposed to go to South Bend.

Posted by: rickyroge | November 30, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I'll breathe easier when our scouts go to places like South Bend to study their offensive linemen.

Posted by: skinssox01 | November 30, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Why has everybody come to the conclusion that we need a new coach and QB? Is it because we just assume that Dan Snyder will do that - right or wrong?
I think that both Zorn and Campbell have acted with class and dignity through this whole process - and for the most part, the team has too. For once - stick with it for a while and put your focus on the obvious - O-Line and only the O-line.
Get a decent linemean for Portis - he's done but there are still enough coaches out there that are going to think he can still do it behind "their" line. Cartwright, Betts, Mason etc...are looking good, Malcolm Kelly and Devon Thomas are coming on (especially Thomas), Fred Davis looks good and Campbell is doing remarkably well with only enough time for a 3 step drop arsenal. Come on, don't be like AL Davis and think you can build a team with all the "Skill" player toys you could want but no O-Line? Imagine if Campbell had time for 5 and 7 step drops - with Kelly, Thomas and Moss working off each other down field? It has to be better than starting from scratch again!! I have been a life long Redskins fan and I really don't want to take a chance on another QB, or coach. these guys play hard for Zorn - even now when there is nothing left to play for.....Dan - don't do it....O-line Dan...O-Line

Posted by: cjohnson8 | November 30, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Sonny is right. No head coach should be saddled with left overs from the previous administration if he is to be judged on the performance of his team and staff. The person who should be judged and fired is Vinny Cerrato. Zorn was hired to be the offensive coordinator and wound up elevated because no competent head coaching candidate would stand still for being saddled with Cerrato. Zorn is only doing what he can with what he was handed and the situation became worse when the Skins ignored their own evaluation and failed to address their offensive line deficiencies over the off season. Zorn should be faulted for failing to recognize that the system he is trying to run is not suited to the personnel he is stuck with.

I know that it has been said a million times but Snyder needs to hire someone who knows what they are doing personnel wise and then get Vinny out of the picture. If the Danny wants to keep his buddy around, let him handle filing the contracts or something NOT related to football operations.

Posted by: oldskinsfan1 | November 30, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

That Rodney Harrison comment is really irritating because it shows just how little attention he's paying to either the league or the words that are coming out of his mouth. So here's some stats that took all of 2 minutes to add up from www.nfl.com/standings which is a secret site I found that has numbers telling which teams and divisions in football are good.
First number is the division's total W-L record, second is total point differential.

NFC East: 24-20, +114
NFC North: 23-21, +33
NFC Shouth: 21-22, +2
NFC West: 17-27, -129
AFC East: 21-22, +86
AFC North: 21-23, +13
AFC South: 27-17, +23
AFC West: 21-23, -142

So the NFC East has the best point differential and the 2nd best record in the NFL. Truly overrated. I actually like Harrison usually. But God. Seriously, just try to pay attention.

Posted by: Hobes | November 30, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Of course we are all disappointed in the season so far. But I think I see the light at the end of tunnel and it is not an oncoming train. The only one who really needs to go is Vinny Cerrato. I like this group and Jim Zorn is as close to Joe Gibbs in terms of honor and temperament as we will ever find. Get a good GM and the rest will work out.

Posted by: keywestmike | November 30, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Rodney Harrison is a moron whose only contributions are remarks that are drenched in his own personal bias, statements that he hopes make his career sound better. NBC's quote-unquote football coverage already had one of those bitter babies in Tiki.

That last comment took care of most of what I was going to say, and I would only add that this is probably the worst year for the NFC East since the Cardinals left, and it's STILL putting up those kinds of numbers against the other divisions. With a staggering number of big-time injuries in The Beast. That is why it is The Beast.

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | November 30, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

So the consensus seems to be: Fire Vinny. I don't think anyone can hang the team's record around Campbell's neck anymore, it's absolutely amazing that he's managed to avoid Patrick Ramsey syndrome for as long as he has.

Get a running back (Portis is not 'the guy' anymore), get an offensive line, and with the D you've put together, you're looking at 10 or 11 wins.

Randle El has been nothing but a disappointment in every aspect, and Moss is the worst X receiver in the NFL (lol DROPPED!), but as a whole, if you give the O a real running game, they've already got a QB that is capable of making smart choices (I think the last few weeks have proved Campbell's mettle).

We'll see what happens in the draft. If Snyder is smart and ditches Cerrato, gets a real NFL guy in there, and focuses on the O-line, I think the Skins might not be the butt of jokes next year.

Posted by: ncromcr | December 1, 2009 1:13 AM | Report abuse

I came across an online community for individual seeking interracial love. It is --Mixedmingle dot com--- All singles there are seeking interracial relationships. Interracial is not a problem here, but a great merit to cherish!

Posted by: sallyworking2006 | December 1, 2009 7:42 AM | Report abuse