LeBron's night, in pictures

Some people might ask whether this LeBron hatred stuff ever gets old, this reveling in the Wizards scoring one home win over another against a top-flight Cavs team no matter what their own record is.

No, is your answer. I mean, do fall Sundays ever get old? Do Dogfish Head limited releases ever get old? Do truth and justice and liberty ever get old? Does watching the final few seconds of George Mason's win over U-Conn. ever get old? Does staring at this absolutely perfect photo above ever get old?

"DeShawn meets LeBron," wrote the brilliant Paul Rovnak. "Sums up the game. DeShawn played can't-feel-my-face defense and LeBron's head got too big."

And yes, the Wiz were really handing out I-Can't-Feel-My-Face bobblehands Wednesday night. So anyhow, let's take a look at LeBron's night.

You'll notice that LeBron's first deployment of the arms-akimbo outrage came exactly 2:19 into the game. This, though, would not be his final instance of outrage over the officiating. (Note: A commenter points out that this is actually a reverse akimbo. Apologies for the oversight.)

Look! He's outraged again! His cheeks are puffed out in that exaggerated "Whaaaaa??!?!?!" way that only his cheeks can puff!

And, back to arms reverse-akimboing. Someone really needs to make the reverse-akimboing arms LeBron James Bobblehead. Or maybe a Bobblearm, like the DeShawn one above, except the arms bobble up and down to the side, asking the world "Whaaaaa??!?!?!?!" in comical oversized fashion. I'd buy one of those.

See? Though now we're already moving into the world-weary exasperation.

I mean, whoever officiated this game should legitimately be banished from the officiating club. That was no official; that was an evil alien sent to wreak havoc upon the normal course of athletic basketball activities and possibly to also destroy humanity.

That above call was so putrid, in fact--an admittedly missed foul on DeShawn Stevenson that was incorrectly ruled a jump ball--that James needed to make his really really unhappy face until he finally got a technical foul. For pouting, I guess.

"They definitely got to the free-throw line way more than we did," James would say after the game. "We feel we attacked at times, and we didn't get the whistle."

Yeah, man. Like in this one. Except in this one you actually did get a whistle, despite the fact that Brendan Haywood left you a gap bigger than most D.C. parking spaces. I mean, he literally didn't touch you, not at all, and you still got the whistle.

"I've seen more contact coming up the escalator," Wiz play-by-play man Steve Buckhantz said after watching the replay.

"I guess he was fouling air," CSN's Michael Jenkins said back in the studio.

And to be serious for a second, the thing about LeBron that drives so many of us crazy is the self-importance, the lack of self-awareness, the uber-grandiosity with which he conducts himself. That's why Gilbert's recent heel turn into an angry, pouting, churlish recluse was so disappointing. If that was D.C.'s standard-bearer, how could we really complain?

Well, look. Gilbert's smiling again.

"We know we're better than this team when we play together and play hard," Arenas said in a postgame interview with CSN's Chris Miller. That's quite a claim, anyhow.

Gilbert was also blowing kisses after made free throws. Not sure what that was all about. And I realize this kind of looks like he's trying to cool down his hibachi-hot hands, but trust me, this was a blown kiss.

The fans also let LBJ have it. Sarah Schorno, for example, tweeted this: "Highlight of my night...getting called a [bad word] by LeBron....I told him to quit crying and take his fouls like a man. He looked at me and said '[Bleep] you.' Then it was on."

If I'm not mistaken, Schorno was sitting very close to the brave fellow pictured here, wearing the "Crybaby 23" t-shirt. I sport one of those at my area gym quite frequently. It's a nice shirt.

Grrrrrrr.

Sniff. By the way, are those bodyguards or what?

Anyhoo, I guess we're all still friends. The Cavs win in Cleveland, and the Wiz win in Washington, and the Cavs win in the postseason, and we can just hope that the Wizards manage to meet some other team in the first round this year. Still, five straight at home.

(Cue Cleveland fans commenting about how this isn't a rivalry.)

Though it's not really necessary for every single person on the bench to give him a hug, is it? Looks like Wiz PR ace Daren Jenkins might be waiting his turn, too. Reports indicate that London Fletcher was waiting outside the Cavs locker room after the game. Dude. C'mon.

Of course, the night ended badly for LeBron; he hurt himself dunking too hard, during the time when he was really really really trying to show DeShawn who's boss. I mean, you hurt yourself dunking because you were trying to make some sort of statement against a team you don't consider in any way a rival?

"It's like you hit your funny bone, but it's not funny at all," LeBron said of the dunk.

Well, maybe that's a little funny, no?

By Dan Steinberg  |  November 19, 2009; 12:35 AM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kornheiser takes the high road
Next: Wiz game draws celebrities, weird sleeves

Comments

Best Bog entry all year here Steinbog. Now if we could just get a few posts about cheese all would be right with the world.

Posted by: doclinkin | November 19, 2009 1:16 AM | Report abuse

Inverted akimbo, maybe?

Posted by: shekb | November 19, 2009 1:16 AM | Report abuse

Steinberg you've done it again!

Posted by: bryan579 | November 19, 2009 1:19 AM | Report abuse

i love this post so much i want to take it out behind a middle school and get it pregnant.

Posted by: kmcass | November 19, 2009 1:19 AM | Report abuse

Extraordinary.

Posted by: empsg59 | November 19, 2009 1:35 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to breed this post with the last few seconds of UConn-GMU and create pure joy.

Posted by: lord_rockumus | November 19, 2009 1:39 AM | Report abuse

Great stuff.
I love the debate about #23 being retired throughout the league. Cleveland is the last place that should happen for Jordan. Crybaby just wants more jersey sales and is using whatever fake altruistic reason for the change so he can gain more attention.

Posted by: sitruc | November 19, 2009 1:42 AM | Report abuse

So does that bobblehead come with big beard, duck tail and lincoln tattoo?

Posted by: Section117 | November 19, 2009 7:27 AM | Report abuse

I don't care...I still want the Wiz to be in on the action next summer.

Posted by: BMoreChil | November 19, 2009 7:36 AM | Report abuse

Crybaby 23.

It would be cool to get a custom cavs jersey done with that... I wonder if they would allow it...

Posted by: MaxPowerDJ | November 19, 2009 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Nice job Dan of preempting the fact that the wiz will lose to the Cavs in the postseason. I see you finally realize that in the end:

Cavs > Wiz. Forever. Enjoy.

Posted by: popopo | November 19, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

LeBron has enormous basketball talent. But he has way more talent at being a crybaby.

Posted by: tundey | November 19, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

I'm a Wiz fan. Love Agent Zero. Loved the game last night.

Still not a rivalry.

In equation form:
Wiz + Cavs < real, true sporting rivalry

"I do this for my culture..."

Posted by: hithere1 | November 19, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

The funny thing, or maybe unfunny is the way the whining has spread to other Cavs players, evident several times last night. I think it's part of their defense strategy - complain about every stinkin foul.

Posted by: rickgonz | November 19, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

This is NBA regular season, which is all about entertainment. Where's the update on the menage a Zero/Shaq/some gold digger chick?

Posted by: rdpinva | November 19, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

The Irony of any Cleveland Player, but especially LeBron, whining about officiating is so thick you'd need some sort of perfectly balanced Samurai Sword, forged by demons, to cut through it.

Posted by: VTDuffman | November 19, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I think this made my day. He and Varejao cry entirely too much... hard to respect

Posted by: unkonchus | November 19, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

A lot of fat white dudes in LeBron jerseys and straight brimmed hats crying in their Miller Lites at Verizon last night. Was glorious.

Posted by: bryc3 | November 19, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sire1 | November 19, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

"Dan, not that you should be up on your street lingo or credibility but it's not "I can't feel my face". It's "You can't see me". Just figured I'd point that out."

---

No, it's "I can't feel My Face."

Posted by: VTDuffman | November 19, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Sire 1, you know this isn't WWE. Sire1, Dan's got more DMV cred than you can handle. VTDuffman, on point with the link!

Posted by: trolly_time | November 19, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Splendid, Steinz. Just splendid!

Posted by: TheFunBunch | November 19, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Fantastic journalism here Steinberg. Really excited to get to start reading you again now that your focusing on the Verizon Center based teams.

Last night was glorious and I appreciated the DC fans finally cheering for their team, against the visiting team and not overreacting when Lebron tried to put on a pointless show at the end. Karma LBJ, karma...

Posted by: ChinatownExpress | November 19, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

MaxPowerDJ --

You can indeed make a Crybaby 23 custom jersey. For your viewing (and possibly purchasing) pleasure...

Posted by: HenryStin | November 19, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

What a beautiful post. Can't believe LeBron actually a tech considering it was the sort of outlandish behavior he usually gets away with.

a wizards win, lebron tech and lebron injuring himself uncontested due to his own ego. nice. if a crab dribble had been called it would have been perfect. but then again, no need to gild the lilly.

Posted by: PindarPushkin | November 19, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Whenever the Wizards are on ESPN & Comcast I like to flip back and forth to hear what the national guys are saying from time to time about the game.

When Jebron Lames drew the foul against Haywood for supposedly hitting him in the head on ESPN Hubie Brown saw the replay and said, "... and we can see here that he was clearly hit in the head by Haywwod!"

I flipped back to Comcast in time to hear Phil Chenier say, "... I don't see any part of Haywood touching him at all! That's an interesting call to say the least!"

It's incredible the way the national media suck up to LeBaby!

Posted by: whatyoutalkinboutman | November 19, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Cropping these pics together to prove a point is out of context and easy/low-hanging fruit. The FT disparity was outrageous last night. 35 to 15. There's the difference in the game - so yeah, any team would have been incensed with pics of them complaining available. And for wiz fans to talk about crybabies is certainly ironic considering they have the most uptight crying group in the entire league - they lose half the time because they are worried about whining in the refs ear. You won 19 games last year - pipe down folks.

You guys are honestly better with Gil not on the floor. He might be the most frustrating player to play alongside in the league. What a terrible person to run and offense through and build a team around. I cannot believe he is your hero when he has only been a negative on the court. Win a playoff series and then get a little chippy and proud.

Also, London Fletcher is from Cleveland and a Cavs fan so that's probably why he was waiting for Lbj after the game.

Posted by: LBJ23 | November 19, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

This Lebron stuff has gotten out of control. I like the Wizards but saying there's a rivalry between DeShawn and Lebron is like saying there's a rivalry between an ant and a lion. Also, the Cavs have absolutely, unconditionally OWNED the Wizards during their so-called rivalry.

Also, Lebron may be whiny but he's not overrated; he has probably not even reached his prime which is scary to think about.

Posted by: playahatah | November 19, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

LOL, its funny how OBSESSED you guys are with LeBron. Kind of cute actually, in stalkerish kind of way. Wizards fans hate the Cavs and Lebron so much, but the Cavs don't even consider the Wiz a rival, they are rivals with real NBA teams with championship aspirations like the Celtics, Magic, etc. The Wiz should be rivals with teams like Sacramento, Memphis, and NJ, aka the other teams that are also always in the lottery...LOL

What's really funny is Steinberg placing Gilbert's picture right above this quote about LeBron, because it basically describes everything thats wrong with Arenas: "the self-importance, the lack of self-awareness, the uber-grandiosity with which he conducts himself." It's sad that you guys hate on LBJ so much but then have to turn around and root for that loser Arenas, aka the Kanye West of the NBA.

Enjoy your November victory, b/c that is all you ever get vs. the Cavs. If you are lucky enough to even make the playoffs, then just pray you don't meet the Cavs again, cuz you know how that will end...

LBJ: "If you miss these free throws, the series is over."

Arenas: "CLANK! CLANK!"

Posted by: haha5680 | November 19, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

You hurt yourself dunking because you were trying to make some sort of statement against a team you don't consider in any way a rival?

------------------------------

Classic stuff!

Posted by: richs91 | November 19, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

=========================================

Hmmm...the Wizards got 42 foul shots attempt in the loss to Cleveland and 35 foul shots attempt in this win. Funny, the only difference between the two games may be the actual play of the players? Besides, it is a well known fact that the Wizards do not play "defense", therefore, less hacking, less fouls and more uncontested shots by the opponent. Which ultimately equates to missed shots by the Cavaliers.

Posted by: JohnWWW | November 19, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Yes, and that statement was "Let me get one last highlight at the Verizon Center, b/c you scrubs definitely won't be making it to the playoffs this season."

Posted by: haha5680 | November 19, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Extremely well played, Agent Steinzz.

Cleveland: Still the taint of America.

Posted by: SchoenfeldsDonut | November 19, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm a Wiz fan. Love Agent Zero. Loved the game last night.

Still not a rivalry.

In equation form:
Wiz + Cavs < real, true sporting rivalry

"I do this for my culture..."

Posted by: hithere1 | November 19, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Steinberg, best blog all year. But the moron hithere1's comment must be addressed.

This is not a rivalry? Um, where to start?

A) The NBA sure seems to think it's a rivalry, what with scheduling these matchups on season openers or pre season openers FOUR STRAIGHT YEARS and scheduling them on Christmas last year.

B) The major sports networks sure seem to think it's a rivalry, as all 4 matchups last season and the first 2 this year have ALL been on national tv (ESPN OR TNT).

C) Not only is it a rival, it's an even rivalry as the Wizards own a better record against the Cavs in the regular season since LeBron came into the league in 2003, and the Cavs own the better record in the post season.

D) Your only argument for it not being a rivalry is that the Cavs have beaten the Wiz in the playoffs 3 times, BUT you conveniently overlook the fact that of the 3 playoff series, only 1 included the entire Big Three healthy. And in that 1 series, 2006, the Cavs were aided by not 1 but 2 last second game winning shots by LeBron in which he traveled at least 4 steps. The Wiz outplayed the Cavs in that series, and should have advanced.

Take a seat hithere1, I rest my case.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 19, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Wizards fans: Cleveland people don't care about you. The Cavs don't care about you. Lebron doesn't care about you (and he complains to the refs about as much as every NBA susperstar does). These games are just 1 of 82, until we bounce you in the playoffs (if you make it).

Please stop your fascination of all things Cleveland. We play you three games this year. If you guys (and Dan Steinberg) spent about 1/4 of the energy dealing with other teams as you do on Cleveland, the Phone Booth might be a tough place to play and the Wizards might get on a role. Ask the Capitals.

Instead, you morons get so charged up to see Lebron come to town. Congrats, you guys got your most important W of the year, and there are still 70+ games to go.

Posted by: machine614 | November 19, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Funniest thing I have ever seen!

Posted by: gdiddy7 | November 19, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

machine614,

Got news for you: The people of Cleveland DO care about the Wiz, DO care about DeShawn Stevenson, and DO think this is a rivalry.

They boo loudly every time Stevenson touches the ball, they harass him at the Cleveland airport, and at local shopping malls, and they generally hate playing the Wizards. LeBron was quoted last year as saying he didn't want to face the Wizards again in the playoffs, since they owned the Cavs in the regular season last year despite having just 19 wins all year. LeBron even went so far as to get his bff Jay Z to make a diss-song about Stevenson and the Wiz.

So please, for your own sake, stop embarrassing yourself and get a clue.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 19, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

"Wizards fans: Cleveland people don't care about you."

---

You cared enough to post a three paragraph long rant on an obscure blog on our hometown newspaper's website.

Cleveland Fans: They only care enough about your team to stream in here from one of their fan message boards where someone cared enough to post a link to this article, so they could all come in and tell you how much they don't care about your team.

Fun Fact: Since LBJ joined Cleveland, the Wizards and the Cavs have the exact same number of NBA Championships.

Rhetorical Question: Will Cavs fans care more about us next year, when King James is playing for the Knicks? Will they still not care enough to storm our boards and tell us how much they don't care?

Posted by: VTDuffman | November 19, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

So who do I have to get in contact with to try and get a D-Steve bobblehead? Wizards marketing?

Posted by: Josh86 | November 19, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | November 19, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Josh86 | November 19, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Ebay

Posted by: Barno1 | November 19, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

"VTDuffman and Barno put their differences aside and unite to fight off delusional Cavs fans. I like it"

---

The Enemy of my Enemy is my freind. *High Five*

Posted by: VTDuffman | November 19, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Our true rivals are Orlando and Boston. Those are the teams in our way to the NBA title. A couple of regular season victories and first-round Wiz flameouts do not make a rivalry to both sides.

You guys kinda remind me of me when Jordan was in Chicago. We complained about the star calls, said we wanted to beat Chicago more than anyone, and booed Jordan relentlessly. The Bulls, on the other hand, dealt with the Pistons, Knicks and Pacers on their way to the title. (I am not saying Bron will win a title/as good as Jordan).

So let's be objective instead of delusional: who do you think people in Cleveland - and the Cavs- would rather beat: the Wizards or the Magic/Celtics? I know what the Cavs are thinking- Shaq was "injured" for this game, but played against D-12.

Nuff said.

Posted by: machine614 | November 19, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad I live in DC and not Cleveland...oo ya...stop coming to a Washington sports blog if you guys don't care enough for this to be a rivalry...but apparently ya'll do

Posted by: merajc86 | November 19, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Brilliant, Steinberg. Brilliant.

Posted by: brian71490 | November 19, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

"Wizards fans: I know you love to point out little instances of where Cleveland appears to care, but if all you have are some meaningless regular season victories, our booing of Soulja boy/posting on a forum, and rants about Lebron playing elsewhere, that is weak."

---

You posted again?

Two posts, SEVEN paragraphs total, in the "Sports Bog" on the DC newspaper?

You put an *awful* lot of effort into telling us how much you don't care. My wife wishes I "didn't care" about her day as much as you "don't care" about Washington.

Posted by: VTDuffman | November 20, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse