Sellers drops a 'Cowgirls' reference

Mike Sellers has sort of gotten over the media darling thing; he doesn't seem to hold forth quite as much as he used to back in the day. I'm also sensing that a lot of fans have gotten over their previous infatuation with Mike Sellers, who might not qualify as "fan favorite" any more.

But when he does talk, you're reminded why people liked him so much in the first place. Here are four reasons, gleaned from his short post-game interview Sunday afternoon with Larry Michael and RedskinsTV.com:

1) He understands how the Redskins are supposed to play football.

"Man, we got back to playing Redskin football," he said. "We ran the heck out of that ball. Plain and simple, that's what we do. And coaches put us in a great position to make plays, and we just kept pounding it, and pounding it, and pounding it, and pounding it, and pounding it."

2) He's sometimes sort of scary. Like, as he finished saying that, he stared into the camera. See above. The man knows how to stare. Also how to grow intimidating facial hair.

3) He's honest-ish.

"Your boy Betts had over 100 yards rushing, and Rock came in and spelled him a lot and did well," Sellers was asked. Or told, I guess.

"They looked good, huh?" Sellers said. "I'm gonna leave it at that."

Might seem nondescript, until you watch the tape and see his eyes roaming to the sky, rolling around like grapes on grease, see the "I'm not going there" smiles creasing his face, and remember how he had a slight disagreement with injured star Clinton Portis earlier in the season, when Portis asked coaches to bench Sellers. So, yeah. Let's leave it at that.

(And before you accuse me of making up fake controversies, watch the interview yourself.)

4) He will rile up a fan base in pleasing, if slightly culturally unacceptable, ways.

"Who do you play next week?" Michael asked him to close the interview.

"Um, Cowgirls, right?" Sellers said.

Yup, Mike. That's right.

By Dan Steinberg  |  November 16, 2009; 6:49 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: L-Boogie and The No-Names help Skins win
Next: 'Worst Owner Ever' Banner

Comments

YEAH MIKE... Cowgirls.... how many more blocks will you miss against them?!?!? How great would it be if Portis transitioned to a fullback and replaced Sellars! haha

Posted by: dupa3 | November 16, 2009 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Wait. The way Portis decks people... he would be an AWESOME fullback. Or Landry.

Posted by: mwalk1 | November 16, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Wow...I thought it was Ray Lewis in the picture above at fiest glance.

Posted by: Riddler1 | November 16, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Another MOUTH on a team full of them. Go back to your hood you thug.

Posted by: hessone | November 16, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Seriously...CP would make a good fullback. It's kind of like when a corner gets old and they move them to safety and extend their career a few years.

Posted by: DocHolliday1906 | November 16, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Hunter Smith has as many total touchdowns on the season as CP. I'm gonna leave it at that.

Posted by: HowdyDCU | November 16, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

When I think hood and thug, the first thing I think of is a guy who spent years growing up in the suburbs in Washington state.

Posted by: sitruc | November 16, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Portis pockets straight!
Go MIKE!

Posted by: mb15 | November 16, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm trying to figure out when Mike Sellars became a thug from the hood. The mean streets of Lacey, Washington. That comment sounds like it has some serious undertones hessone.

Posted by: clwalker1906 | November 16, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Sellers is one of the more intelligent players on the team. Full Backs do not hit their blocks 100% of the time on any team out there. He is a pro bowler. He gives a damn about the Skins fans. He is everything I wish Portis would be with his talent. He is a great interview and always will be. Huge assest to the team. Yet people bash him while defending Campbell who is way too scared to play QB in the NFL and Portis who does not practice and wastes great talent with ignorance.

Posted by: Mike4169 | November 16, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: clwalker1906 | November 16, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I didn't like the comment either but that's probably becuase I'm a Sellers fan. Either way, in some ways there is some merit to the comment...I mean, the guy did do time in prison. Did you not know this? Still, he's obviously not a "thug" anymore...

Posted by: Barno1 | November 16, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sitruc

Suburbs are outside of cities and not states.

Posted by: hessone | November 16, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: clwalker1906

No undertones at all. I just tell it like I see it. The way Sellers acts and how he speeks along with his prison time is enough to make one think he's a thug. I suggest you grow some thick skin my friend. Or continue to be politicly correct.

Posted by: hessone | November 16, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Barno1,
You just can't get it right. Last week you picked the Redskins to win and then said you were just kidding and that they would lose. Maybe a week off will help you out my man.

Posted by: hessone | November 16, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Barno1,

Posted by: hessone | November 16, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Redskins will win out and go 10-6 and reach the playoffs. Ok everyone needed a good laugh.

I do think we'll beat Denver though. They're coming off a short week, we're coming off 1 game in 3 weeks. Team from out west playing in east at 1:00. Plus the fact that they have been playing over their heads and we are desperate for a win. All signs point to a Redskins victory on Sunday.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 9, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Hessone, maybe a week off will help you remember things more accurately.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 16, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse