Portis says RB situation isn't awkward at all

As Ladell Betts & Clinton Portis week continues, the injured No. 26 himself spoke up, discussing the future of the Skins' starting running back slot Tuesday afternoon. During his weekly appearance on ESPN 980's "John Thompson Show," Portis praised Betts and said he won't rush back from his concussion, but said he doubted he would lose his starting position when he's healthy.

"It don't put me in an awkward situation at all," Portis said, when asked about Betts's breakout week, "Because I think I'll put myself up against anybody in the NFL [on] any day of the week. I think Ladell is a great guy, I think he's a great player, I think he's a great teammate for what he gives on the field. You never hear anything from him, he just goes out and [plays] hard and gives you everything he's got, so he deserves an opportunity. But at the same time, I don't think that takes away because he's playing good. I mean, we've been both capable of making plays. I think to be able to use us together would be even better. You know, I'm not a selfish guy, I'm not being selfish---oh, give me the ball, give me the ball, give me the ball. If Ladell is gonna help us win, it don't matter to me man, I'm all for it. But as far as me losing my starting position, I doubt that."

Portis was asked whether he would be more inclined to hurry back if Betts continues to star; "actually, no," he said.

"I think that allows me to go out and make sure I'm fully healthy. I think as long as Ladell [plays] well, there's no need for me to rush back and try to get on the field and help us. If he's going out running as hard as he ran on Sunday and carrying the ball the way he carried it and carrying that team on his back, I think that allows me to heal. And once I'm fully healed and I don't have any symptoms at all--if that buys me an extra week or some extra time, then I'm all for that. But as soon as I get back, I would love to come back and contribute. And if I've got to contribute with him, I'm all for that as well.

"So I don't mind carrying the load with him. I think we're a great 1-2 combination. I mean, I've been saying that for years. The only thing about it, we haven't seen us as a 1-2 combination. It's either been me or him. I think they could use us both together."

Portis also suggested that the team's coaching staff displayed a greater commitment to the run during the win over the Broncos than it had in past weeks. Washington's 40 rushes on Sunday were a season high; the previous highs of 35 and 33 came in the Redskins' only two wins.

"I think we always knew we had a good team, a capable team, and I think Sunday you seen them go and use the running game for really the first time all year," Portis said. "Ladell and Rock [Cartwright] ran hard, they used a three-man rotation, and the line probably played their best game of all season, so I think everybody got to the point of making it happen....I think they just set their mind to go out and run the ball and stuck with it. Ladell was picking up six or seven yards a pop, and they were coming right back to it. In the past, we'd get to 2nd-and-short and throw the ball, and then we end up with 3rd-and-long. But I think when we got in 2nd-and-short or 2nd-and-manageable situations, we got a lot of 3rd-and-ones, and Ladell and Rock converted those."

Portis said he was still feeling "heavy-headed" at times, and that he was having issues with his vision when looking at bright lights. He said he's regained his appetite, and that his ankles and the rest of his body are now fine. He said the week before he sustained the concussion had been his best week of practice "in a long time." And he said repeatedly that he would be cautious in his return.

"I don't think I can just rush back and have a miraculous recovery, and I don't want to have any [lingering] problems," he said. "Whatever I can do [in practice], I will do, and what I can't do, I'm not gonna go out and try to pressure myself and make it happen. If I have any symptoms and can't finish it, I will let them know, because I don't think this is a situation that I can play with and go through and try to be careful with. You can't step on the football field being careful, and I think this is a major situation. So I've got to be safe and communicate with the doctors and the training staff, as I've been doing, and hope that when I feel great, they put me in to play."

By Dan Steinberg  |  November 17, 2009; 4:17 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wise responds to Kornheiser, at long last
Next: Matt Bradley's bloody night, in pictures

Comments

"Because I think I'll put myself up against anybody in the NFL [on] any day of the week."

I wouldn't.

Posted by: mkremnitzer0 | November 17, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

He has definitely lost a step or two. Check this out:

Posted by: tc2003 | November 17, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Portis thinks that he can do whatever he wants because he is Dan Snyders favorite player on the team! When times are tough he starts to pout and point fingers at his line and throws Sellers under the bus! The Redskins should never have given up Champ Bailey for this Guy! Notice how the line blocks better without him in the game? It is a team sport and blockers dont like it when you start to point fingers but he knows that he can say and do whatever he wants!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | November 17, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

BTW DALLAS SUCKS!!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | November 17, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Here we go with the ol' CP again... we stuck with the run more in this game because we were getting more than 1 yd a pop...I dont know about everyone else but with L and Rock running the ball there were an awful lot of 3rd and 3s and 2nd and shorts...when clinton is in the game he just doesn't pick up the correct yardage to help our qb...thats why we had to throw more when CP was in the game...we were committed to the run in the Denver game because HELLO!!! IT WAS WORKING!!

Posted by: kickass10101 | November 17, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

vexed50verizonnet is correct. this week is not for criticism. it is for hating dallas. every day this week is another opportunity to hate on dallas.

i would suggest watching chris cooley's tony romo fantasy file videos. that's a good start. then watch sean taylor beat dallas all by his lonesome a few years back.

but the whole time hate dallas. hate hate hate hate hate them cowboys. may the dallas cattle molesters lose and give zorn his first game over 27 points!

Posted by: jjhare | November 17, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Dude just needs to take it easy -- and not rush back. Betts appears to have everything under control... and Cartwright can help out when needed. Let's just plan on seeing CP26 next year, and only if we must.

Posted by: Vic1 | November 17, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

I hope he takes his time to get well. Betts is doing a good job and if CP can come back healthy and in sync with the Oline we could do something.
I would like to see some two back (split or I) formations with both. CP is a great blocker, how about alternating CP & LB as lead blocker. CP's concussion might prevent this from happening (yeah, that and reality). Both on the field at the same time not only gives the Skins good blocking. It threatens run and pass on every down.
CP has lost a step and he seems to run into the ground nowadays but hopefully he can transition into a different type of RB & leader for the Skins. With that contract he's not going anywhere.

Posted by: priceisright | November 17, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Exactly. With that contract Portis is not going anywhere. So hate him or love him, he is the "back" of this pack! Let's just enjoy the LB and RC show while it lasts.

The Cowgirls have a running game of their own that they like to abandon. Hopefully our newly found hi-octane offense can keep pass-happy Romo throwing INTs so they never get to use it! Either way, we needed this win so that we can play at a high-level and believe in ourselves in Texas amongst the queers and steers! Braves on the warpath time!

Handle yo biz 'Skins!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: dark_some | November 18, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

DALLAS, IS EASILY THE BETTER TEAM FROM A-Z. THE PRESSURE IS ON THEM..ESPECIALLY BEING AT HOME, AND WITH THE PLAYOFFS AN ALMOST A SURE THING..FINALLY.

PORTIS SHOULD NOT COME BACK BEFORE HE IS HEALTHY. HE DOES MAKE AN INTERESTING POINT..WHY NOT USE BOTH HE AND BETTS AT THE SAME TIME. PORTIS HAS NOT HAD THAT INITIAL BURST FOR SOMETIME, WHICH IS ONE REASON WHY HE DOESN`T GET MORE YDS. PER CARRY THROW OUT THE 78 YARD RUN, AND INSTEAD OF 96 YARDS FOR THE GAME..MORE LIKE 20 YARDS. IN ADDITION, HE HAS MISSED HOLES WHEN THEY HAVE BEEN THERE.
PORTIS STILL IS A VERY GOOD BLOCKER.
OTHER BLOGGERS WERE RIGHT IN SAYING THE TEAM THREW MORE ON SECOND AND SHORT..CAUSE HE WAS NOT PICKING UP THE YARDS RUNNING THE BALL..WHICH SHOULD ALSO ANSWER THE QUESTION PORTIS ASKED. CP MUST RUN NORTH/SOUTH..HE SIMPLY DOES NOT HAVE THE SPEED TO GET AROUND THE CORNER ANY MORE.

Posted by: blazerguy234 | November 18, 2009 7:10 AM | Report abuse

Na Na Na Na
Na Na Na Na
Portis, Campbell, and Rogers
Good-bye.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | November 18, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Eh, I've got no hatred for Clinton Portis. I like him fine; I just think he's done. 2005 CP brought the fury, but 2009 CP's got no burst and he rarely breaks tackles. It happens.

Like Big Al, I can't hate him for getting paid. It's not his fault the Redskins decided to spend big coin on an RB instead if sprinkling that cash on the o-line. I'd have taken the money too. I hope he sits out, lets his brain heal up and lets Betts & Cartwright take over. That'd be for the best all around.

Posted by: hubcap | November 18, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Another example of why the Redskins stink. They finally get a win, get the ground game going, have something to build on heading to stinking Dallas to play our mortal enemy and what do they do? They let Crybaby Portis impose his will and get back in the starting lineup. Obviously this is coming from the so called front office, because if the coaching staff was worth their ridiculous salaries then to a man every coach on the team could see that Betts runs the ball much better than Portis. What a joke.

Posted by: stealthcopter1 | November 18, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

"Portis thinks that he can do whatever he wants because he is Dan Snyders favorite player on the team!"

Exactly.

Why worry when you're best buds with the owner. Same thing goes for Ceratto.

Portis sucks and isn't smart enough to know how to follow his blockers.

Betts is just as slow but at least has discipline enough to wait for the hole to emerge.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | November 18, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

When you have 2 backs that hit holes, didn't fall down after barely being touched or not touched at all, and ran hard without running into their OLineman's backs, then you should
be thinking about moving on. Add this kid Ganther and they have a nice platoon at RB. Take Rock off kicks and ARE off punts and put Santana on both; Put Marko in.

Posted by: kahlua87 | November 18, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse