Riggins responds to critics

Apparently, John Riggins got the message that some people thought the dark heart business crossed a line. He responded to those critics at the beginning of Wednesday's episode of Ask Riggo on WTOP. He also said it would be the last time he addresses the matter. His words, which were pretty obviously prepared in advance:

I made some comments last week on 'Inside the NFL' that have created quite a reaction. Specifically, I said the owner of the Washington NFL franchise was a bad guy whose heart is dark. I've been given this opportunity on WTOP Radio to discuss my reasons for making those comments, and I'm happy to do so.

First of all, I was talking about football and Washington, D.C., where the object of the game is to bash the other guy's brains out. Unfortunately, I'm too thick to know I was supposed to discuss this with gentility.

To my detractors who have accused me of being an embittered former employee of Mr. Snyder's Red Zebra Radio Station, the facts are, I had a three-year contract with that station. I fulfilled my duties. My contract was not renewed. It was a business decision. I am fine with it. That was not a happy place. I have long since moved on, and I am free.

To my detractors who have accused me of being inflammatory to remain relevant, the facts are, I have turned down a couple of media job offers. They weren't the right situations for me at the time. I'm currently working for some top-notch people here at WTOP, and am very pleased to be associated with them.

I have also been advised to experiment with social media, as it is the way of the future. I started experimenting the same month the Washington franchise imploded. Relevancy found me.

Finally and most importantly, my ax to grind. As I have said, I do have an ax to grind, but not for the reasons mentioned above. You should, too. We should always have an ax to grind against bullies, and I have taken it one step further to say this bully's heart is dark. When I use that phrase, I'm referring to the heart of a narcissist, someone who thinks they're better than others, someone who thinks the social contract does not apply to them, someone who drives a wedge between my former teammate, Joe Theismann, and myself.

Joe admits in my video he knew what I had said about his boss. He sat with me afterwards and could not have been more affable. Forty-eight hours later, in a special appearance on Mr. Snyder's Red Zebra Radio Station, he described my comments as despicable.

Even though Joe assails me, I forgive him, and regardless of what he says from this point on, if he needs something, all he's got to do is call. You know, if it weren't for him, there might be one less Lombardi Trophy. The Old Guard shall stand firm, and the Boy King shall be repulsed. I never really knew what it meant when they said they can't take the ring away. Now, I do.

If you need any more information to justify my assessment of this owner, follow the press, not me. They've got much better chops than I do.

For example, I quote two-time Pulitzer Prize winner and former managing editor of The Washington Post Steve Coll in his recent article for The New Yorker:

The issue is not the team's performance on the field, dismal as that is. It is the culture created by the owner--one of greed, expediency, and mean-spiritedness. The general atmosphere around the team suggests Zimbabwe--a failed state, an intractable dictator, and an impotent and suffering populace.

I have been consistently asked by the press and the fans to give my opinion as to what's wrong with this franchise and how it can be fixed. I have consistently given my truthful responses. I see my role as merely a messenger, not a self-appointed face of the fans, just someone who is willing to speak truth to power. I have no fear of Mr. Snyder, and if I am exiled from this revered franchise, that is a sacrifice I am willing to make to remain true to myself.

As for the fans, this team is now a matter of your collective conscience. Do I give my money to this guy? Does that help the common good? Does it bring my team back? Or, do I stand for something as old-fashioned as principle?

This is the last time I'm going to speak on this topic. I've been asked, and I've answered. But before we open the phones, I leave you with this final thought. I think it's ironic indeed that the name of this franchise, being what it is, is figuratively representative of the long suffering of a proud and noble people. And it's also ironic that the leader of this franchise, not unlike the U.S. government 150 or so years ago, is leading his people on a trail of tears.

By Dan Steinberg  |  November 11, 2009; 2:21 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mark Rypien calls for healing, group hugs
Next: Wizards make more height history

Comments

Riggo is the best.

Posted by: knight1977 | November 11, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Could've done without the Trail of Tears thing at the end, which wasn't needed at all. Still, it's hard to argue with Riggins, and he obviously wants the Redskins to be a respectable football franchise again.

Posted by: mkremnitzer0 | November 11, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I see where he's coming from, but you can't compare the whining of us fans to the real suffering of Native Americans. I'm not sure if he was saying he supports changing the name, but, if so, that was sure a back-handed way of doing it...

Posted by: crashinghero | November 11, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

what a maroon. Seriously, equating the mass deportation of the Indians to reservations with fans of a football team.

Let's be honest, Riggo is an uneducated fool.

Posted by: popopo | November 11, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

who cares if the skins win again with the non stop soap opera we've got going on here. Okay, I'd rather them win but hey if your going to suck at least make it a circus - and this sure is. Got to love Riggo though, to often people step back from what they say even when they believe it to be true. Good for you Riggo, even if people don't agree with you, good for you. Let the "Old Guard" stand firm. God I love that.
And yes the trail of tears was horrible horrible event lead by a horrible president Jackson who gets way too much credit as a president and person! It should not be equated to pretzel boy but I still love you Riggo.

Posted by: doesntmatter | November 11, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Honestly, I think Riggo was just trying to make some sort of Indian-related comparison. I don't think he REALLY compares the Trail of Tears to suffering of Redskins fans.

Nice to see someone who has the balls not to back off from his position when he is called on it.

Theismann is a bit of a disappointment tho -- comes across as a bit two-faced.

Posted by: bethesdaguy | November 11, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Admire Riggo for not backing off one whit. And for those posters who whine about his allusion to trail of tears, get a friggin' life.

Posted by: poguesmahone | November 11, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Class act all the way up until the Trail of Tears allusion.

/despicable

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | November 11, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

If its true about Theisman..Then alot of lost respect.. Did anyone hear what he said?

Posted by: ocskins | November 11, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about you, but I sure liked Riggo better when he was on the Redskins Report with George, Sonny, and Wilbone-head. Never was much of a fan of his radio gig...he often seemed in over his head and Kevin Sheehan would have to bail him out (no pun intended).

I'm just wondering why he never expressed such hostility and hatred towards Dan Snyder while he was under contract with him? Recently, he's pointed to the entire tenure of the Snyder regime...yet for the vast majority of that tenure, Riggins wasn't assailing Snyder. Now that his contract hasn't been renewed by Snyder, in a season where the team is 2-6, he goes on these tirades? Come on.

I truly hate to say this, but I've lost some respect for Riggo.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 11, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

poguesmahone
Nobody's crying about the Trail of Tears, it, however,does need to be respected. Read a few books, grow the f up and learn and respect your history young foolish child.

Posted by: doesntmatter | November 11, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

so riggo could be considered a disgruntled ex employee of snyder's empire and theismann a current employee/shill for snyder.

seems like the high profile critics of snyder are all ex-employees of one sort or another. bmitch, cut by the skins and not renewed at espn 980. riggo not renewed by espn 980.

conversely, the biggest defenders of snyder are still on his payroll. theismann, blatche, haynesworth, portis, etc.

i wonder where danny's owner bretheren are? havent heard one of them defend him or come to his aid. you'd think after riggins comments on inside the NFL that some of his cohorts would come to his defense....

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 11, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 11, 2009 4:33 PM

You know what, I am sick and tired of hearing people degrade anyone who sticks up for Snyder as a "shill" for him who is only defending him because they work for him. Has it really never dawned on any of you that these are the people that know Snyder the best--and THAT'S why they are defending him? Maybe, just maybe, they know the man better than you do.

The way I look at it is the people that know Snyder best are the people that defend him, and the people that know absolutely nothing about the guy are the ones attacking him. As Greg Blache said, he's never once seen John Riggins at Redskins Park. Just because Riggo was an employee by default because he had a radio show on 980, a station owned by Snyder, does not mean he knew Snyder at all.

It's beyond pathetic how people who know next to nothing about a person will attack them to no end because of their own misguided hate. Dan Snyder is a good man, and it's a pitiful shame that wins and losses on a football field lead a lot of otherwise intelligent people to believe that he is not.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 11, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

doesn'tmatter: anyone who would object to that allusion is a whiny jackass. As bethesdaguy pointed out, he clearly wasn't trying to compare the two in terms of severity. Stick your politically correctness where the sun don't shine.

Posted by: poguesmahone | November 11, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

barno: you are evidence that there really is one born every minute.

Posted by: poguesmahone | November 11, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Re: Riggo, I think Charles Mann said it best last week:

If people think Riggo "loves the franchise," you are kidding yourselves. Riggins is feeding off of fan angst with the front office (including Snyder) in order to make his living. And that, by the way, is just fine with me. We turn the dial to him, we clicky clicky the mouse on his headlines, he stays in the conversation and remains a relevant media figure in the area. What's wrong with that?

And what's wrong with considering Riggins might not be a "fan" like we are fans?

Nothing, in my book. I just want to speak "truth to power" here.

Posted by: hithere1 | November 11, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Riggo is still right on target, IMO. And unlike Snyder, you get an explanation of his position directly from the source, rather than from some underling sock puppet.

Posted by: Punisher703 | November 11, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

@Barno

Not sure how your argument can truly hold up. You DON'T know the man, either, so how can you say that folks close to Snyder like him and folks on the periphery don't like him? Not to mention, you write he's a good man, but what's your basis for the statement? Your entire comment previously centered on the fact that people who don't know Snyder well shouldn't talk about him, yet you're still able to pass judgment despite your not being close to him, either?

Posted by: CDon | November 11, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

C'mon guys we all know Barno1 enjoys giving Danny and Vinny the reach-around.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | November 11, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Hey Barno

Wipe Dan Boy Snyder's sperm cocktail off your chin and then get back to us.

How did that surgery go for you big boy. Are things as tight and as leak free as they used to be. It was so nice of Danny to send you flowers and offer to give you your suppositories! What a man!

Get well soon Vinny I am sorry Barno

Posted by: vaherder | November 11, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

G-d bless Riggo. He knows only one way in life: straight ahead and towards daylight.

It is just what we need right now.

Posted by: skinssox01 | November 11, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

I'd feel better if Riggo hadn't been such a D**K back in the day. Too many of us saw his act at Mike Baker's and the like. Now he's Mr. Media. Mr. Social Media at that. Guess he has to make a buck. Fair enough. And, I tend to agree with most of his comments. None the less, he was a real p***k back then.

Posted by: TheDubb | November 11, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

@Barno

Posted by: CDon | November 11, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Ah, Cdon is back, making assumptions about others yet again. How do you know I don't know him? Not saying I do or don't, but you have no idea either way.

Assuming I don't know him, I could point to plenty of things I know about him that are publicly available that would make me think he's a good man.

I know that he attends group homes for teenagers, and regularly throws tens of thousands of dollars to Youth for Tomorrow.

I know that there are plenty of ex-Redskins employees that actually are very fond of Dan Snyder. Take Joe Mendes, who worked in player development with the Redskins before and during Snyder’s regime. According to the Washintonian: Snyder “went the extra mile” to help him when his father was ill and his wife’s father died. Mendes had an office across from Snyder’s at Redskins Park. They saw or spoke to each other several times a day during the season. He lost a power struggle with Vinny Cerrato, vice president of football operations, in 2003 and now runs Cornerstone, a sports consulting company.

“I genuinely like Dan Snyder,” says Mendes. “He is a good person.”

I know that the author of the same Washiongtian piece wrote this:

"I have covered plenty of spoiled, greedy, power-hungry rich guys in my 30 years as a reporter. Snyder is not even close. I found him competitive, playful, and shockingly normal."

I know that Snyder has single-handedly raised millions of dollars through his foundation and matched those donations out of his own pocket to give to local charities. I know that Snyder has paid to have dozens upon dozens of local high school football fields completely rebuilt--do you ever hear about any of this stuff in the Washington Post?

I know that the guy went from essentially rags to riches on his smarts and hard work. He grew up without a tv in his parents tiny apartment, hardly the silver spoon image presented to us from the media.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 11, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Barno1 and his Danny-Boy sob story.

Priceless.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | November 11, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

I also believe, though obviously would never be able to prove, that Dan Snyder's political ideology has had something to do with the way the Washington Post has treated him over the last decade or so. I'm not necessarily talking about individual reporters like Steinberg, I'm talking about the higher ups, the ones who often make the decisions about what stories to pursue. Those with editorial control.

Abe Pollin, for the better part of 25 years, was as bad an owner as there is in professional sports. He kept incompetent people in their position for far too long and when enough was finally enough he wouldn't just fire them, he would simply move them to another in house position. His teams were absolutely lousy year after year and it was a direct result of his awful decisions as an owner. But Pollin always got a pass from the Washington Post, I believe at least in part because he is/was a huge liberal donor.

Dan Snyder on the other hand has quietly been a big Republican donor for many years, and if you think this hasn't impacted the coverage of him at the Post, go right ahead and deny it all you want. Like I said, there's no way to prove it either way...but one thing I think we can all agree on is the Washington Post has a huge impact on popular opinion in this area. And if you're a Redskins fan, chances are you read the Post.

And someone please tell me, when was the last time you read any of the good things about Snyder that I cited above ever in this newspaper? Chances are...never.

Gee I wonder why...

Posted by: Barno1 | November 11, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Barno,

Out of all of the "pie in the sky" thoughts you put out, I actually believe your "political points" to be dead on. The only reason I read this rag is b/c of Steinberg and RI. And for RI, I mostly particpate on there for therapy and conversation.

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | November 11, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

I love Riggo but the Trail of Tears comment was way over the top. To go from proud and noble people and compare the misery of Native Americans and specifically those on the forced removal that was the Trail of Tears to the frustration of Redskins football fans is just stupid. WTOP needs to fire his editor.

Posted by: mjwies11 | November 11, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Ah good old Barno1. It's nice to have such a reliable moron around.

Posted by: thediesel | November 11, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

i didnt really have an issue with the last paragraph. it's just an analogy. he isnt equating our suffering with that of the indians.

get over the PC crap.

Posted by: TheSuperhoo | November 11, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Barno1 blathered

_________________________
The coverage Dan Snyder has received mimics that which is printed in the Washington Times and every major sports news organization on the planet. I'm pretty sure fox sports is included in that list. There's no reason to resort to delusional paranoid conspiracy theories.

Furthermore, 98% of skins fans don't give a damn how "good" or "evil" or "republican" their owner is. His reputation with former employees and his charitable or questionable acts are all meaningless. All skins fans want is an owner who builds a champion and doesn't treat them like crap. Dan Snyder has never shown any inclination to do either in 10 years.

Ted Leonsis may spend his time starving orphans, donating to the nazi party, and punching kittens. It doesn't change the fact that he's proven to be the better sports owner than dan snyder

Posted by: jbanks979 | November 11, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Once again, Riggo is completely on point. Cheers to you, Riggo.

Posted by: ezetimibe | November 12, 2009 12:41 AM | Report abuse

Snyder and company should realize that Riggo speaks for so many others in this town -- combining a wealth of "been there, done that" experience with a sincere and abiding interest in proud heritage, traditions and legacies of "our" team.

In my humble estimation he is so much better than the other former players who continue to haunt the bowels of Redskin Park and FEDEX Field -- compromising their personal integrity and the legacies of "our" team by continuing to defend and support the evil and dark-hearted Snyder and his cronies.

Posted by: Vic1 | November 12, 2009 7:55 AM | Report abuse

First of all, am I the only one who see the irony of Riggins calling somebody a narcissist???

And while other media outlets have been critical of Dan Snyder this year and in the past, none have sunk to the level of the (Com)Post in bashing him.

As a matter of fact, the Washington Times denounced the lawsuit article and Peter King, who said on Monday he will not shut up about his gun grabbing beliefs, refused to touch it as well.

Barno is exactly right, Abe Polin did not receive the exposes and bashing in the (Com)Post (or anyother publication for that matter) for Susan O'Malley's intentional selling of 1998 Stanley Cup Finals tickets to Detroit. O'Malley was his hand-picked girl in charge and he defended her to the hilt.

Caps fans were flat out lied to about when SCF tickets would go on sale and then were forced to either pay scalpers prices or pony up for season ticket packages to sit in a building full of Red Wing fans in the 1998 Stanley Cup Finals.

Yet when Pittsburgh refugees show up for a Monday Night Football game, the (Com)Post assigns a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist to find out how and why so many of them were in Landover for the first regular season appearance of the Steelers in D.C. in 20 years.

Tell me, do you think Polin/O'Malley got that kind of scrutiny or were the Caps fans blamed for not buying the tickets in 1998?

Posted by: CapsNut | November 12, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

" Dan Snyder is a good man,"

A good man doesn't quell dissent by implementing a sign ban, then pretend such a ban has always been in effect.

A good man doesn't sue fans who fall on financial hardships.

Posted by: VTDuffman | November 12, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

"It's no secret that the Post, in case you've been living in a cave your entire life, is one of the most liberal major media outlets in America."

---

Fred Hiatt, head of the editorial board for the Washington Post, is a noted conservative. You can't throw a dart at the post these days without hitting an op-ed piece from a conservative author: Krauthammer, Will, Gerson, Any number of former Bush administration members, Novak...and that's just off the top of my head.

Claiming that, these days, The WaPo is some sort of "lefty rag" and that is the reasons for some sort of unfair coverage, is hilarious and only highlights your continuing disconnect with reality.

That said, it's nice to have you back. The Bog is a lot more fun with your delusional, inane ramblings.

Posted by: VTDuffman | November 12, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

The Post absolutely has an anti-Snyder agenda and has been incredibly sleazy in its coverage of Snyder. The newspaper has gone out of its way to dig up trash on the guy and beat him up at every turn. The recent apparently orchestrated effort (four bubble headed columns by different columnists in a ten day period) urging that the name be changed was conclusive evidence in my mind. HOWEVER, none of that means that Snyder is a good guy. He isn't. Riggo described him perfectly.

Posted by: poguesmahone | November 12, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

"The coverage Dan Snyder has received mimics that which is printed in the Washington Times and every major sports news organization on the planet. I'm pretty sure fox sports is included in that list." -jbanks979

Simply not true. You are delusional if you think the Washington Post treats the Redskins the same as "every major sports news organization on the planet." Simply delusional. Why don't you go ask the folks at Redskins Park if they feel this way.

"Furthermore, 98% of skins fans don't give a damn how "good" or "evil" or "republican" their owner is. His reputation with former employees and his charitable or questionable acts are all meaningless. All skins fans want is an owner who builds a champion and doesn't treat them like crap." -jbanks979

Um, yes we agree on this point...which means you missed the point of me saying that the Post has a huge influence on popular opinion. Fans for the most part don't really care what an owner's politics are...but an ultra-left newspaper like the Post sure as hell does. And they're they ones shaping popular opinion by printing misleading stories about fans being sued or tickets being sold to scalpers. Again, go ask the folks at Redskins Park if they feel all sports outlets treat them the same.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 12, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

---

Posted by: VTDuffman | November 12, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

VTDuffman, As I've said on countless occasions on this site, you are without a doubt the most idiotic, clueless human being I've ever encountered on a blog. You routinely make up absurd lies and post them on the internet, only to be proven wrong seconds later by other bloggers.

In this instance, you asininely claim the Washington Post is not a liberal paper, and as evidence you pointed to Editorial Page editor Fred Hiatt--who you claim is a "noted conservative."

VTDUffman, seriously, you need to STFU. You're an idiot.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 12, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | November 12, 2009 12:12 PM

This is the funniest thing ever posted by this d0uchebag moron. What's wrong Barno so affraid to show your face over at Redskins Insider, after I exposed you for the tool-bag you are?

Go sit on Vinny and Danny's laps

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | November 12, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

[Riggo] certainly doesn't regret anything he's said about the 2-6 Redskins, or their owner, Daniel Snyder. It's an awkward fact that Riggins, arguably the most beloved player in the history of the franchise, a Hall of Fame running back who from 1976 to 1985 hauled the team on his back to its greatest victories, has become the harshest critic in town. He accuses Snyder, the billionaire entrepreneur, of possessing "more ego than intellect" and ruining the team with meddling. He suggests: "It won't be long before the logo is a profile of the owner. . . . I mean, that's where this is going. He's branding himself. I kind of like that, actually. At least it would be truth in advertising."

See:

Posted by: Vic1 | November 12, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Poop,

You exposed me? By cutting and pasting comments I've ever written about the Redskins, this somehow exposed me? Hah!

I haven't been much of a regular on Redskins Insider in about 2 years, only posting occasionally there. Don't flatter yourself guy.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 12, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Matt Taibbi writing in Rolling Stone came up with a phrase while discussung Goldman Sachs that seems to describe Danny as well:"is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money". Sounds dark hearted to me. That's one of the reasons people don't like Snyder.

Posted by: dboz1970 | November 12, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | November 12, 2009 1:17 PM

Now if that isn't a lie. You were constanly on RI this year making all your predictions about going 12-4, hosting playoff games, JC going to the Pro Bowl, bashing fans, etc.

Now you're a liar and delusional. Kudos.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | November 12, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

"You mean Fred Hiatt, the 3rd most influential LIBERAL in America, according to Forbes Magazine:

VTDUffman, seriously, you need to STFU. You're an idiot."

---

If you had any intellectual honesty at all, you'd know that Forbes opinion piece is a joke. Everyone knows that Fred Hiatt is a conservative, and everyone knows that his promotion to the head of the editorial board is directly responsible for the proliferation of conservative columnists on this site (didn't see you refuting that one, btw).

And, you calling me an "idiot" or whatever is awesome. Seriously, I take it as a compliment. It would be like if Charles Manson called me a Lunatic.

You're a delusional, pie-in-the-sky, twit. You spent the entire early half of the season making the most absurd statements about the Redskins going to the playoffs, Jason Campbell making the pro-bowl, etc. You say the management has done a good job with the team, and are not at all responsible for it's continued failure...

And what happened when that all came crashing down? We lose to *another* previously winless team in the Chiefs? You run away like a little girl because you can't handle it. Your mouth(fingers) writes checks that your rear-end can't cash. I knew you couldn't stay away, and I seriously am glad to have you back - Steinz is probably glad for the increased traffic you personally bring.

But please, continue with the insults, I wear each one like a badge of honor.

Posted by: VTDuffman | November 12, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Capsnut -

i was at game 3 of the stanley cup finals and dont remember being over whelmed with wings fans. i do remember federov getting the game winner past Olie, but i dont remember thinking there were tons of wings fans???

Posted by: capsfansince74 | November 12, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one that has noticed how obsessive (and creepy) it is that Poopy McPoop follows Barno around on every blog around this site? Seems like he only writes comments in response to Barno and to everything he writes with the same old stupid remarks. Believe me, I'm no Barno fan, but Poopy is just creepy. Not sure why he is so obsessed with Barno, but it just gets tiring reading his lame responses to Barno every day.

Posted by: Johnny501 | November 12, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

VTDipsh*t, who ran away like a little girl? Am I not still here? I answered for my overly optimistic predictions several times, on this blog and on the Redskins Insider, but other than that I didn't really have much to say in the wake of 2-4 with major injuries along the O-line and season essentially over. What else was there to say? However, several people responded that no one ever issues apologies on blogs or admits they were wrong, and were pleasantly surprised I did.

Regardless, I have no problem admitting when I am wrong...specifically how wrong I was about the Redskins this season. My predictions were obviously way off. Can't dispute that. I think things would have been different had Thomas and Samuels not gone down, considering were were 2-2 with Samuels and 0-4 without him.

As for the issue at hand, your claim that the Washington Post is not a liberal paper and that Fred Hiatt being an editorial page editor is proof of that is beyond comical...at least to those of us with an IQ above a toaster. You are simply detached from reality pal. Why don't you do a nexis search for the word "liberal" and "washington post" (or use google if you don't know how to use nexis--and I'm guessing you don't). But if you want to keep hallucinating and telling yourself it's a conservative paper, be my guest. The world needs idiots too.

Disingenuous much VTdipsh*t?

Posted by: Barno1 | November 12, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Johnny501, no you are not even close to being the only one that finds Poopy creepy. The guy is universally despised over at the Terps Insider, yet still comes back day after day posting moronic responses to me. We have been awaiting the day for a long time where Poopy surprises us all with a relevant thought.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 12, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Now you're a liar and delusional. Kudos.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | November 12, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Wrong. Most of those predictions I wrote about Skins that you copy/pasted were written on the DC sports bog. Dir da dir da dir. I've only occasionally been on RI, haven't been a regular every day commenter since JLC went into overdrive back in 2007, early 08--not that ANYONE cares but you.

But keep trying Poop, one of these days...a relevant thought will come out of you.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 12, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

"As for you whining about name calling...wow, just wow. In the same breath you whine about it, you wrote this about me: "You're a delusional, pie-in-the-sky, twit."

---

Who's whining about name-calling? I'm encouraging you to call names. Remember, I said I "wear them like a badge of honor, keep it up." Seriously, keep it up. The "VTDips*it" thing is great, seriously keep it up. It doesn't make you look like a petulent child at all, and really re-inforces your opinions.

That said, I never said that the WaPo was a conservative paper. I said it wasn't the "Lefty Rag," you made it out to be. I understand its reputations to simpletons like yourself, but some of us with critical thinking skills don't create such a false dichotomy (it's either a liberal or conservative paper, there's a middle as well).

The fact that you cited that bogus Forbes article is just an example of how much you *don't* know what you're talking about. For being the "3rd most influential liberal" or whatever, Hiatt is shockingly: Pro-Iraq War, Pro-Torture, Pro-Warrantless Wiretaps, and Anti-Public Option, to name a few. He was Directly respinsible for the firing of Dan Froomkin, and for the avalanche of Conservative Opinion columnists you see in this paper on a daily basis. Have you ever actually read any of Hiatt's Editorials? Do so, and give me a call back sometime when you have a clue.

Posted by: VTDuffman | November 12, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

VT,

Your tiny brain is so detached from this planet, it's pretty damn hard to take you seriously. You claim an "avalanche of conservative opinion columnists" at the Post and as your evidence you point to "Krauthammer, Will, Gerson, Any number of former Bush administration members, Novak"

Let's take a look at this avalanche you cite, shall we:

Krauthammer: been writing for the Post since 1985

Will: been writing for the Post since 1974

Novak: is dead (R.I.P.) you unbelievable moron. But his columns had been appearing in the Post for decades.

Gerson: been writing for the Post for years as well

But you yet somehow claim that Fred Hiatt's taking over as editorial page editor led to these conservative columnists--nevermind the inconvenient fact that those you cited have been writing for this paper for decades.

VTDuffBeerMan, it's time for you to stop posting...seriously. You're just embarrassing yourself.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 12, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

It's almost impossible to argue with someone who is convinced that every major journalistic outlet that doesn't directly mimic Fox news is somehow "liberal". For these people it's almost religious dogma that characterizes their entire worldview.

Seriously Barno. Read the political opinion pages sometime. Count the number of former bush staffers, National Review columnist, members of right wing think tanks, or Neo-Con luminaries that appear on a daily basis. On the other side you have two ancient moderates (Broder and Cohen) with three or so kind of but not really liberals. The only unabashed liberal voice this paper had published an online column and was fired because of a personality dispute with "liberal" Fred Hiatt. I don't care if a republican owned magazine is convinced he's a "liberal" (as if the word itself has any meaning at all anymore).

Why is he a liberal? because he writes for the washington post of course! Gosh!

Posted by: jbanks979 | November 12, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1

The irony of that statement is far too thick for you to grasp.

But it is amusing!

Posted by: jbanks979 | November 12, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

IT SEEMS TO ME...

That anytime anyone says anything remotely critical of the evil and black-hearted Snyder, one of his minions is rolled out the defend him... as the dark-hearted one doesn't appear capable of doing it himself... or (more likely) just can't be bothered...

For examples, see today's WAPO style section article on Snyder's PR henchman, Karl Swanson.

However, if the criticism du jour appears to cut too close to the truth or challenge the heavenly order of Dan the Invenerable, then the Redskin PR flacks soon adopt another strategy:

CALL IN THE CLOWNS -- to spam the net, twist and distort any rational discussion of the criticism into some sort of ill-tempered hissy fit style exchange of flamethrowers....

Now it also happens that the great and legendary Mr Riggins has lately been telling some hard, uncomfortable and inarguable truths... and along the way, has generated some considerable interest among the Washington fan-base... who happen to agree with much of what he is saying

See

We have also observed that the Washington Redskins have a certain PR flack on staff who goes by the name of Zach Bolno... which is not exactly Barno, but still close enough to cause me to wonder...

Whose yer Daddy, Barno... and why do ya love him like you do???

Posted by: Vic1 | November 12, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jbanks979 | November 12, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

It's almost impossible to argue with someone who completely distorts your viewpoints. The above comment is a typical straw man. Invent a position and attach it to me, i.e. I believe "every major journalistic outlet that doesn't directly mimic Fox news is somehow 'liberal'." and then knock down the position which I never took in the first place.

Unlike you, I'll take a look at your ACTUAL position rather than distorting your viewpoint to try to win an argument. You claim there are just "two ancient moderates (Broder and Cohen) with three or so kind of but not really liberals." So you are claiming there are no legitimate liberals on the editorial page of this paper. Wow, just wow.

Off the top of my head, here are some prominent liberals on the op-ed pages at the Post:

Broder
Cohen
Dionne
McCartney
Marcus
Samuelson
Shields
Robinson
Hoagland

This doesn't even include Sports page columnists Jenkins, Wilbon, Wise, Shapiro or former columnist Kornheiser--ALL of whom are liberals.

Get a clue.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 12, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Riggo has Snyder all figured out. His "social contract" remark is a perfect characterization of the Redskins owner.

Sometimes the truth hurts.

The trail of tears thing didn't work for me, but that's all it just didn't work.

Posted by: Pepper5 | November 12, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Whoops, forgot Meyerson. Another liberal on the Post editorial pages.

Not to mention all the liberals found elsewhere at the paper. Look no further than Dan Steinberg! (sorry Steinz, but I think it's pretty obvious to your every day readers) Then there's liberals all over the front page...Dan Balz, Howard Kurtz, Anne Kornblut, Dana Milbank.

What never ceases to amaze me is that liberals are so blind to their dominating the mainstream American media. I can see quite clearly that Fox News is a conservative media outlet, just as clearly as I can see MSNBC is a liberal media outlet. But I've never understood why it is so hard for liberals to see this. It's puzzling...

Posted by: Barno1 | November 12, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Barno -- let's not argue about the Post it's a diversionary tactic. Let's talk about the Washington Redskins organization.

Posted by: Pepper5 | November 12, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

A small comment on Barno1's "predictions" for the season.

While I thought the team was at best 6-10, they are still underperforming than was was expected. And that's not just what I say, or what people in Redskins land who have drunk the koolaid say. Season ticket holders, check your schedule... THREE prime time games (2 monday nights, 1 sunday night), all THREE at FedEx against all THREE division opponents. Find me one other nonplayoff team from the previous year with that schedule. Either ESPN and NBC drank the kool-aid too, or this year is worse than what a lot of so-called experts expected.

"I think things would have been different had Thomas and Samuels not gone down, considering were were 2-2 with Samuels and 0-4 without him." -- Posted by: Barno1

But Barno1, 2-2 with Samuels... yeah, that's 2-1 against teams (St. Louis, Detroit, Tampa Bay) that are a combined 3-21. Detroit's win was against Washington. St. Louis's win was against Detroit. Tampa Bay's win was against Green Bay. Sorry, but even with Samuels, the team is at best 3-5.

Posted by: prokaryote | November 12, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | November 12, 2009 3:30 PM
----------------

You're a lying sack of sh!t and you know it, a large majority of the posts of yours I dug up came from RI. I know it, you know, and everyone else knows it.

Grasping at straws now huh Barney-the-Clown1.

Instead of addressing the sorry state of the 'SKins you gotta try to change topics and discuss, of all things, the "liberal media."

You keep listening to Glenn Beck or Sean Hannity, jerking your junk any/every time they say something.

I bet you think the socialist-nazi Obama party is about to come take your guns and freedom any minute........

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | November 12, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Johnny501 | November 12, 2009 2:51 PM
-------------

Actually Johnny Blue Jeans, he follows me around. He's beeb obsessed with me since I started questioning the God-like status of Gary Williams and .500-Fridge.

Oh snap.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | November 12, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: prokaryote | November 12, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

I think we hold on to win the Carolina game with Samuels in there. Up 17-2, if JC had any time to throw in that game, we win. And then the pressure wouldn't have been there for the KC game. Think we'd have been 4-2. But no excuses, every team has injuries. We didn't live up to my expectations by a long shot.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 12, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Grasping at straws now huh Barney-the-Clown1.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | November 12, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Wrong again, crazy internet stalker guy. As I said, I posted some on RI, but most were taken from the bog. And I don't know why even a nutcase like you would care about this. Who the hell cares where the posts came from, other than you?

AS for your assumptions that I listen to Sean Hannity or Glen Beck, shocker, you're wrong yet again. I despise Hannity and think Beck is more of a comedian than a serious political analyst.

Keep trying poop, don't give up...eventually you're bound to stumble upon a relevant thought.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 12, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

barnos comments earlier about the redskins was hilarious and even funnier now that we stink. everyone knows hes the biggest homer on here. unconditional love right barno? I got no problems with it most of the time though sometimes you go overboard. poopy though man you thinks its your job to be this super annoying rival to barno, but no one likes reading it. like they said its creepy how you follow him from blogs to blogs.

i remember poopys crap on redskins insider writing barnos old comments non stop for liike a week. like he wasnt even sleeping or eating or doing anything except tracking down old barnos comments. really was sad. it just went on and on and people were begging him to stop but he just kept going and going like hes the energizer bunny on a mission to show people barno was wrong about the redskins. truthfully i think you really just need to get a life poopy, and i dont mean in a bad way. get a hobby or something. maybe go find yourself a woman? no doubt you are single guy. no doubt. but its really not to difficult no matter who you are poopy, theres a lot of fish in the sea. get out there and start talking to females. once you get a woman in your life maybe youll stop with all this stupid stuff on the blogs and fighting endlessly with barno. hopefully youll take my advise.

Posted by: Greateight | November 12, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Whose yer Daddy, Barno... and why do ya love him like you do???

Posted by: Vic1 | November 12, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm....

The silence is deafening...

Okay... let's put it this way.

Question: Who is Zack Bolno?

Answer: He's a Redskins PR flack.

Posted by: Vic1 | November 12, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

IT SEEMS TO ME...

However, if the criticism du jour appears to cut too close to the truth or challenge the heavenly order of Dan the Venerable and Inviolate, then the Redskin PR flacks soon adopt another strategy:

SEND IN THE CLOWNS -- Typcially, to spam the net, twist and distort any rational discussion of the issue at hand and turn it into sort of ill-tempered hissy fit exchange of idiots with flamethrowers....

See

We have also observed that the Washington Redskins have a certain PR flack on staff who goes by the name of Zack Bolno... which is not exactly Barno, but still close enough to cause me to wonder...

Whose yer Daddy, Barno... and why do ya love him like you do???

Posted by: Vic1 | November 12, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Great advice Great8. Maybe I'll follow your method of sneaking on the computer when the wifes asleep and looking at pictures of naked ladies. That's your m.o., isn't it? Or is it Barno's.

Who knows, maybe you 2 look at said together?

I'm just asking questions here. Hahahahaha

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | November 12, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't it be rather sad and pathetic if the short, insecure and megalomaniacal owner of the once-proud National Football League franchise in our nation's capital was so destitute of real friends, supporters and acquaintances that he had to hire a stable of faceless PR flacks to dig through the dredges of blogosphere each day under assumed names to defend his nonsensical actions, blatant arrogance and ever deteriorating reputation?

How sad, pathetic and embarrassing would that be?

What a bunch of dim-witted amateurs!

Posted by: Vic1 | November 12, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Get a grip.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 13, 2009 12:36 AM | Report abuse

Great Eight, amazing post. I think you hit the nail on the head...Poopy either needs a hobby, or needs to get l**d...badly. Hah

I heard that PoopyMcPoop cried during 40 year old virgin. Aw...

Posted by: Barno1 | November 13, 2009 12:42 AM | Report abuse

I heard Barno1 cried during The Duck Tales movie back in the late 80's or so. He was just so sad that the adventures of those 3 cute little ducks had to come to an end.

He also cried when he finally got done giving Danny and Vinny their daily reach-arounds because he was so sad it was over because he enjoyed it so much.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | November 13, 2009 2:12 AM | Report abuse

Barno/Bolno

So in essence, you don't deny it.

How sad, indeed!!

To repeat...

How sad, pathetic and embarrassing would that be?

What a bunch of dim-witted amateurs!

Posted by: Vic1 | November 13, 2009 7:09 AM | Report abuse

"Vic, have you noticed no one ever responds to you? There's a reason. Read your posts dude...Everything in this world is not a Dan Snyder conspiracy!

Get a grip."

---

You have absolutely no grip on reality, I hope you realize. In the *exact same thread* where you concocted some sort of grandiose liberal conspiriacy by "(sic) the most liberal paper in the country" to bring down Dan Snyder because he's a Republican, you mock someone else for conspiracy theories.

Seriously, do you even listen to yourself? It's hilarious.

Keep up the good work Barno, you are a boon to this board, and to Steinberg's traffic.

Posted by: VTDuffman | November 13, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Another telling quote...

"You know what, I am sick and tired of hearing people
degrade anyone who sticks up for Snyder as a "shill"
for him who is only defending him because they work
for him. Has it really never dawned on any of you that
these are the people that know Snyder the best--and
THAT'S why they are defending him? Maybe, just
maybe, they know the man better than you do.

The way I look at it is the people that know
Snyder best are the people that defend him,
and the people that know absolutely nothing about
the guy are the ones attacking him."

Ipso facto, barno/bolno now claims to be among those who "know Snyder best" and therefore, counts himslef among those who are best able to defendf him.

And if you were some sort of insecure megalomaniac that felt the need to hire a stable of PR flacks to defend your honor and reputation, would you really want such a transparently failed excuse for a PR flack on your staff?

Posted by: Vic1 | November 13, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Diesel! Diesel! Diesel!

Posted by: aviscardo | November 13, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

The same can be said of a multitude of fans who are now joining the Burgundy Revolution. This time last year, most of them were cheering "Hip Hip Hooray!"

-----