Who calls 4th-down plays, and other silliness
Chatting at 11:30. Submit questions here.
Five more things that are ridiculous. Just about, you know, life.
1. Here was Jim Zorn at his post-game press conference, when asked about the playcall on Ladell Betts's fourth-down touchdown run.
"Really, the play designer of that was Stump Mitchell," he said, "and Sherman Smith called the play, and I decided to go for it."
Sherman Lewis, you'll recall, is the man who was specifically ordered to call plays for this offense. You'll also note that his name wasn't mentioned in the above sentence. That's via ESPN 980's Sports Reporters. And it just sounds absurd.
2. Some Atlanta fans have started showing up in my comments and my inbox, telling me I'm an idiot for defending DeAngelo Hall in his scuffle with Mike Smith. I guess if Mike Smith is your coach, you love the fieriness, and if he isn't, you treat him like Caps fans treated John Tortorella last Spring.
Anyhow, it turns out this wasn't a first-time thing for Smith, who apparently loves to yell it out with opposing players. Let's flash back to last December, in a game against the Bucs. Here's USA Today's account:
Falcons coach Mike Smith and Bucs WR Antonio Bryant had an altercation along the Atlanta sideline in the fourth quarter of Sunday's 13-10 Falcons win. Bryant and Falcons DB Domonique Foxworth bumped each other after the latter knocked down a pass. And Smith was too close to the dust-up for his liking. So Smith engaged Bryant.
"I politely asked (Bryant) to go back over to his sideline," a glib Smith said after the game. "I said, 'Please, will you go back to your sideline?' "
Bryant said he was not troubled by the incident.
"Just as long as the man didn't put his hands on me, I don't care," Bryant said. "I don't recall what [Smith] said. It's nothing personal. That's over with, and if he wants to get in my face, that's great support of a coach looking out for his players. I don't think he took it as anything more than being a Falcon, just like I'm always going to be a Buc. And I'm not mad at him for that."
So fine, Bryant's attitude is probably healthier than that of DeAngelo "He put his hands on me in a harmful way" Hall, but jeez Mike, your day is done. You hold clipboards now. Stay medium, fella, stay medium.
3. Here was Jim Zorn, with Chick Hernandez on Comcast SportsNet, talking about Larry Johnson.
"He's out there....It is tempting, and we'll continue to talk about it as we go along."
In fairness, Zorn also gave a whole lot of reasons why this wouldn't make sense, and the general impression was of indifference. But it makes you wonder, in what sense is it tempting for a struggling team to pick up an aging, disgruntled running back to operate behind a makeshift offensive line? Seems like someone is easily tempted.
4. In Malcolm Kelly's first 13 NFL games, he's caught more than one pass twice. In Fred Davis's first 19 NFL games, he's caught more than one pass three times. In Devin Thomas's first 24 NFL games, he's caught more than one pass six times.
Marko Mitchell, the guy who can't even get activated on this team, caught more than one pass in his first NFL game.
Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas, by the way, combined to catch one pass for four yards against the Falcons.
5) The Redskins are the NFL's only team that has yet to reach 20 points this season. Three teams--the Packers, Saints and Chargers--have reached 20 in every game they've played. And sure, as always, I'll note that wins are more important than points, and that defensive and special teams TDs can slant this stat, but here's the list of 20-point games, through Week 9. Note that the Giants and Texans have played one more game than everyone else.
Green Bay 8
New Orleans 8
San Diego 8
N.Y. Giants 7
New England 6
San Francisco 6
N.Y. Jets 5
Tampa Bay 4
Kansas City 3
St. Louis 1
Sure, the standings sort of say the same general thing, but this points a pretty fine point on matters. Washington and Detroit remain tied for the longest 30-points-in-one-game drought.
Posted by: walkdwalk | November 10, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: sitruc | November 10, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: disgruntledfan | November 10, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: superpaqman | November 10, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: hock1 | November 10, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: FlyersSuck | November 10, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: 6-2StackMonster | November 10, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: skinsrdone | November 10, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: mopp04 | November 10, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: DanSteinberg1 | November 10, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: DocHolliday1906 | November 10, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: SkinsWizStangs | November 10, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Barno1 | November 10, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.