Wise responds to Kornheiser, at long last

Well hold on just a minute. Seems the Redskins drama has suddenly taken a back seat to the media drama.

As mentioned, Tony Kornheiser repeatedly ridiculed Mike Wise on his radio show Monday morning without deigning to mention his name. For example, he said a certain local columnist has "no idea what [he's] talking about," and that anyone who just got here five years ago is basically unfit to write knowledgeably about D.C. sports. Then, Wise spent four hours on HIS Tuesday radio show threatening to go scorched earth on his rival. He challenged Kornheiser to call him on the air, then repeatedly waffled over whether he should say anything or not, despite being egged on by texters and e-mailers and 106.7 The Fan employees.

And just when it appeared to be a four-hour tease, Wise finally got a few things off his chest during his last segment of the day, bumping Wise-vs.-TK way above Sherm-vs.-Sherm and Gary-vs.-JTJr. and Fans-vs.-Vinny on the list of smoldering D.C. rivalries. Still below Riggo-vs.-TheWorld, but only barely.

"I want to say this again before I start," Wise said, before explaining his reasons for leaving the New York Times to join The Post. The last reason: "I wanted to go to work where the great Shirley Povich once worked. Where Michael Wilbon--my friend--[and] Sally Jenkins and Tom Boswell worked. And yes, where Tony Kornheiser worked. This is a guy who was a pioneer in our business, and I still don't see another sports writer...ending up on Monday Night Football. It's just not going to happen. He has a gift, and he's obviously done a lot of good things for people; he and Wilbon do a charity event.

"But I just feel Tony Kornheiser lost the right to be an ombudsman about good journalism in this town, and he lost it the moment when he took Dan Snyder's money. He lost it the moment when he began calling out fans who chanted tasteless things about his new boss in his suite. And he called these fans out in a great American newspaper he used to make proud but now treats like the National Enquirer. How dare Tony Kornheiser criticize something I wrote about a team, when he spends a recent Sunday sitting in the owner's box, sitting elbow to elbow with a guy who is more unpopular in this town than anybody in the history of this town, and that probably includes George Bush.

"Nobody ended his career at The Washington Post. What happened to Tony Kornheiser at The Washington Post is what happened to the short-term memory guy at the end of the Memento movie. He realizes the dead body next to him was his fault. Tony killed his newspaper career. He wanted to be on Monday Night Football--and who wouldn't?--he wanted to do a radio show, which he felt he was best at, and he stopped wanting to be a yodeler.

"At some point--as I've had to do in my life, as other people have had to--when 20 people tell you that there's a problem with you, you look at yourself one day and you realize what's the one common denominator in those relationships with 20 people: Me. You take a look at yourself. So tearing down the good people at a place I'm still very proud to work is just beneath him, and I don't like that at all.

"I've done some stupid things in my career, including forgetting to take some medication once when I was at the 2006 Winter Olympics during a very dark time in my life. I've written some absolute clunkers, columns and stories I'm not especially proud of. But I haven't been consistently, outright nasty and ugly....

"I'm just gonna say, when you make personal attacks on the radio, you need to know that at some point the person you're talking about, it's getting back to him. And they have a right to feel badly about it and angry about it. And I think he needs to understand, if Tony Kornheiser understands nothing else...Johnny Carson when he left had the best quote of all time, and it's what Tony needs today. He really needs to hear this. Be nice to people on your way up, because you'll see the same people on your way back down."

Ok, it might not have been scorched earth, but it got the general point across. And there's just no arguing with the "outright nasty and ugly" bit, no arguing at all. Anyhow, LaVar Arrington came on air after the break, and attempted to burn some of that earth himself.

"Now I know Tony, I'm cool with Tony Kornheiser, but when you come at us, you're coming at all of us, and I just want to give a quick translation for Mike Wise, all right?" LaVar began. "Mike Wise put it in such a great way, and very gentle and very delicate, but what he really wanted to say was, Tony, you were intimidated from the time Mike got here. Mike has that killer charm and sly, dry, very cunning, very deliberate wit about him, almost like what they say about you. And he's younger, he's probably better looker than you, he's taller than you, people listen to what he has to say, he's doing all these TV spots, he's doing all these radio spots, and oh yes, he's still writing for The Post. And he's blowing up.

"Look, all the ratings are coming here, all the ratings are going from there and coming here. And he's a very decent man, he's a good man, and yeah we pick on each other, but we'll be darned if we let anybody else pick on us. So what I'm saying to you is, don't be so jealous where the jealousy kind of spills over into what you say and what you do....

"And last time I checked, you're not from Washington, D.C., either. And you know what, it doesn't take you being here for five years to be able to be a reporter of things that you see....

"I'd be remiss if I moved forward to our show and I didn't jump out there and just put my two cents in there. Because you know what, Mike didn't have to say anything to you. Mike is a better person than that, but maybe I'm not. I'll jump in there and I'll be the one that jumps out at you, because that was inappropriate....For you to be a role model and attack somebody that you've been a role model to, that kind of speaks volumes of where you are. And I'll leave it alone at that."

By Dan Steinberg  |  November 17, 2009; 2:54 PM ET
Categories:  Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zorn: "For me, practice helps a guy"
Next: Portis says RB situation isn't awkward at all

Comments

Jesus Christ, these guys need to get over themselves.

Dan, please don't beat this "feud" into the ground.

BOR-ING.

Posted by: PropJoe | November 17, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Remember when Mr. Show parodied the East Coast/West Coast feud, except instead of rappers they used ventriloquists? Kind of like this, with equal levels of comedy and awesome.

Posted by: Section117 | November 17, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

TK just got an instant audience for Wednesday's show, haha.

Posted by: themankev | November 17, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Umm,,, wow!!!!

Posted by: ocskins | November 17, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

This is very amusing. I can't listen to radio at work, and never would have heard about it otherwise. Thanks for reporting it!

Posted by: REXskins | November 17, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like these guys should get together over a glass of metamucil.

Posted by: peterandmeredith | November 17, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

i couldn't disagree more with PropJoe ... thanks Dan for posting this!

ultimately the "feud" will end up being beneficial for both shows/stations.

Posted by: jwattVT | November 17, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Wise show is awful and thats all that really matters

Posted by: remaxjon | November 17, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Mike "I have no Football credentials" Wise and Lavar "Can't get right" Arrington are both losers. This town could care less about either of you. Please move to Dallas and start rooting for the cowboys. TK on the other hand has represented the city, the team and the fans well for many years.

No matter how much negative spin the WP gives Snyder and the team, this town will always be a football town. The Caps, Wiz and Nationals will always be the redheaded stepchildren of the Redskins.

Posted by: forsythe332 | November 17, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we can get Scott Templeton from the Sun to toss his hat in the ring too.

Posted by: fushezzi | November 17, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

i love this and cant wait to hear tonys rebuttal. i can only imagine what he will reply to lavar, maybe Nigel will step in and defend tony, then kevin sheehan can beat up chad dukes.

Posted by: jpfterps | November 17, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I used to love Kornheiser....10 years ago. I also used to really enjoy Wilbon. From what I've witnessed and people I've spoken with Wilbon is still a great guy and I'll cut him slack on the opinions he throws out there that just don't make any sense. I'm sure I do the same think. Kornheiser, on the other hand, fame has apparently gotten to him He really does come off as nothing more than a petty jerk. Problem is - and another comment nailed this - he just got an instant audience for Wednesday's show.

To be honest, I don't particularly care for either of these shows. Although I do sometimes enjoy Wise, Tony's show is what it is...for 50+ white men. No thanks. I'm not there yet. It's probably time for Tony to move on. Maybe he can get a job writing in the style section of the Times.

Posted by: DisgustedinArlington | November 17, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

good greif both of these guys together render local sports talk radio unlistenable during the mid-day

I mean TK's pompus act is sooo TIRED
and Mike Wise while a talented writer just seems awkward and boring as a radio show host.

However It seems that TK is being a d1ck about the whole thing.

good for LaVar for sticking up for his coworker

Posted by: jonthefisherman | November 17, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Dan!

Posted by: MarylanDChris | November 17, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I am with you Mike, but one thing....the movie was Memento, not whatever you called it. Give the great film its due!

Posted by: jason3555 | November 17, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to guess that the percentage of people backing TK will go up based on the age of the commenter. Anyone who is 40 or over and remembers how great Kornheiser was in 1990 will back him up. People between the ages of 30 and 40 (like me - I'm 36) who remember that era but still have malleable tastes will be split. And anyone under 30 only knows TK as the has-been gasbag blowhard that he is now and back Wise.

The one variable: the Dannypologistas, AKA the same people who ran off LaCanfora. For the Dannypoligist, any criticism of the Redskins front office is a criticism of the players, the DMV area, the sport of football, and America itself.

Posted by: gocaps2 | November 17, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Okay, I take it back. Even though I generally find both guys awful to listen to (however PTI is still excellent), this is pretty entertaining. Maybe in a special olympics kind of way, but entertaining nonetheless.

Posted by: PropJoe | November 17, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

F Danny
F TK
F wilbon
F JLC
F wise (not as a writer but as a radio personality)

Posted by: jonthefisherman | November 17, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

This is so lame. If Wise says that he has respect for TK and looks upto him, there is probably no shame in taking a little bit of criticism from him.

And please explain why TK should feel threatened by Wise. Last time I checked TK was the co-anchor of the huge ESPN show called PTI and is known nationally. I doubt anyone heard the name Mike Wise outside of DC.

Posted by: HarishR | November 17, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Nothing wrong with a good old fashioned media feud.

Steinberg v. Olbermann? That was just good for the soul.

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | November 17, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

How much would it cost to just have Czaban on all day, everday?

Posted by: colerwilson | November 17, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

This truly is Death Star Radio...

I'm sure Mr. Wise isn't a regular listener of Tony, but he (TK) has previously unabashedly torched both the team and Dan Snyder this season. Tony doesn't plea to the fans to love the team or Snyder. Although he's a paid employee of the team and Snyder, he's still a journalist at heart.

Regardless, I can't wait for Tony's show tomorrow. I'm hopeful for a retort, but I'm sure he'll stay silent about this Incident).

Posted by: ecuamerican2 | November 17, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

i think these comments were written by WP staff

Posted by: emailthis | November 17, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Wait, so why are they mad at each other again? This Redskins season has put everyone on tilt.

Posted by: mkremnitzer0 | November 17, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Bottom line Kornheiser is a jerk. His show is as relevant as Mike and Mike, if you're over 60 years old! Sorry, time has passed you by..why so bitter? you're a multi-millionare w/a regular TV show on ESPN??!! Why the hate? I think a lot of ppl wondered if the Skins would win another game. It's not like Wise said, it's a fact! No more wins! Kornheiser is a lap dog.

Posted by: ryancwakefield | November 17, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

gocaps2:

you got me. I'm in my 20s and all I know about TK is from PTI and MNF. I really don't have any nostalgia for him.

Likewise for Wilbon who I used to like on PTI but now that I've read some of his articles, I can't stand him.

Now I can't enjoy PTI anymore, what a shame.

Posted by: REXskins | November 17, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

You can't tell from the maturity of the posts, gocaps2. I think a lot of people of all ages have grown tired of TK's act.

Posted by: sitruc | November 17, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

"on tilt" = laaaaaaaaaamoooooooooooo

Posted by: MarylanDChris | November 17, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: forsythe332 | November 17, 2009 3:23 PM

To be clear, DC is a basketball town AND a Redskins town. DC is not a football town, at least not in the sense that it is in, say, SEC country.

That being said, Let's Go Caps!!!

Posted by: paperboy76 | November 17, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Wise wins in a landslide.

He made actual points. The most damning being that TK has taken Snyder's money and joined in the cronyism rampant in that owner's booth. Tony is as out-of-touch as a local sportswriter can get. To accuse Wise of such is just plain hypocritical.

Why he is so bitter and vindictive remains a mystery. Jealousy?

Posted by: ThisGuy | November 17, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: paperboy76 | November 17, 2009 3:52 PM

Agreed - 100%. This is an area that knows basketball but loves the Redskins. Also, the city is not necessarily obsessed with the Redskins so much as the outer region and beyond.

Though, per capita, DC has sent more football players to the NFL than any state (yes, I know we're not a state, but it's still interesting).

Posted by: Kev29 | November 17, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I find it ironic that Kornheiser is complaining about needing to live in this town for 25 years before writing about the teams considering he wasn't here for that long when he was writing about them in the 80's.

Let's look at our Post columnists, shall we?

1) Kornheiser (from New York)
2) Wilbon (from Chicago)
3) Wise (from San Fran I believe)
4) Sally Jenkins (LIVES in NY)
5) Boswell (actually from DC)

Let's see, our main columnists are all a bunch of out-of-towners/carpet baggers, with the exception of Boswell, and his specialty is baseball (but he least he grew here and is a fan).

I only wish that we had more people commenting on the team who actually gre up as 'skins fans and not Giants/Jets/Bears/Niner or at least live in this city.

Posted by: jamdl01 | November 17, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

OK so I'm over 50 and remember TK in his halcyon days at the WP. I like listening to Wise on the air and appreciate his writing style in the WP. However, he's a kid compared to TK.
I was dumb enough to be listening today until I got sick of the Wise waffling show and turned off the radio. He lost points w/me .

Posted by: mrmurph | November 17, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Best comment today on the Wise show was from a female listener who told him to,"take off the pussy pants and ball up."

Posted by: mrmurph | November 17, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm just shocked that Kornheiser actually spent more than 5 minutes talking about sports on his talk show.

Neither Wise nor Kornheiser exactly light up the airwaves, but Kornheiser has come off like a petulant brat in this exchange. Then again, I've only lived in the area for 8 years, so what do I know.

Posted by: pzummo | November 17, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Meh, The Vinny VS LaCanfora was still a better war overall. Dudes had auxiliaries and everything, peeps on the blogs were battling, along with Larry Michaels Source-meeter thing. That was a fight. Until this one gets on the TV and a bit of dirty laundry gets aired out its not a big one.

Riggo V Danny is a good fight but I dunno until we see David Donavan or Larry Michael going after Riggo, until Dan starts fighting back more its going nowhere. I cant count Joe Thiesman as a Danny Pawn even though he probably was.

Of course this is all about the Skins V Outside media AKA Post thing. Which was heated up before this season.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 17, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Kornhole cashed in long ago. He's become a clown. Wilbon has as well. Rich clowns, true. But clowns none the less. I recall how they treated Sally when she had the gall to tell it like it was when Abe fired MJ. These two are in the tank for whatever strokes their egos and fills their wallets. Yeah, capitalism. Oh, Comrade Tony is not gonna like that last part.

Posted by: TheDubb | November 17, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

My gut tells me that if Snyder runs this team the way he has for the next 10 years it will no longer be a skins town.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 17, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

"on tilt" = laaaaaaaaaamoooooooooooo

Posted by: MarylanDChris | November 17, 2009 3:51 PM

-----

Huh?

Posted by: mkremnitzer0 | November 17, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I'll never understand how either of these 2 clowns get ratings. Both are unlistenable. Thank god for Sirius.

Posted by: bukaki23 | November 17, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I am a fan of Kornheiser's schtick, but he freely admits that he doesn't go to the games, doesn't actually do any reporting, and can't even stay awake for the finish of games.

So, I really don't know why he considers himself either a sportswriter or a columnist.

Posted by: emrj | November 17, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

"And he's younger, he's probably better looker than you..." Dang, Lavar, I thought you were Wise's bud? I've got a plantar's wart on my right heel that's "probably" better looking that TK.

Posted by: mike8 | November 17, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

CATFIGHT!

Posted by: dovelevine | November 17, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

lame

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | November 17, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

This has been a long time coming.

Tony K has been completely classless in his treatment of Wise since he came to town. He clearly felt threatened (needlessly so, as I don't think Wise is half the columnist he is). But Kornheiser's conduct speaks to his character, or lack thereof. He's an egocentric a-hole who's a lot like the organization he now works for - once great, now embarrassingly bad.

Go Wise.

Posted by: thediesel | November 17, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Both Wise and Kornheiser are complete jerks, but Wise is worse. What a pompous, know nothing ass. And Kornheiser was right to call him out for acting like he's some kind of expert on DC sports when he's nothing but a carpetbagging loser. By the way, Arrington is a complete blowhard and was one of the most overrated Redskins of all time. Talk about three idiots who deserve each other.....................

Posted by: poguesmahone | November 17, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

I don't listen to either one of these guys but I can't help but chime in. If I have this right, Kornheiser criticized Wise for predicting something in a column that didn't happen. How long would it take someone to dig up 10 columns by Kornheiser that had false predictions in them? What did he write about the Skins in Joe Gibbs' first year when they started 0-5? That's a pretty silly criticism for one columnist to make about another one.

(BTW, Jim Trotter, on SI's web site, wrote last week in his second half predictions column, that the Bronco's schedule, with the Redskins and others on it, meant they wouldn't crash land, and that the Steelers wouldn't lose another game in the regular season. Guess by Kornheiser standards, Trotter should retire)

(Another BTW: didn't Jason Reid, the beat writer, indicate he didn't think they'd win again either?)

I'm not a huge fan of Wise's writing but he's our best bet for honest criticism of the Skins and other teams in town. I think his columns have been within the bounds of fairness while being very critical.

I've been reading Kornheiser for decades and have to say I view his career path in recent years with sadness. I don't know if he got bored, tired of the grind or just fell in love with the fun, fame and money in radio and TV, but he lost his game along the way. He also seemed to lose the battle with his ego as well, reacting badly to criticism of his performance on TV. Kind of sad. This just seems to be another example of that.

Posted by: baltova1 | November 17, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Two loud mouth jerks but isn't Wise's carping more than a little hypocritical since it is obvious that he wants above all else to follow Kornheiser's career path? At least Korny paid some dues in this town.

Posted by: poguesmahone | November 17, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Tony Kornheiser, like his boss Dan Snyder is a snivelling weasel. He is a grotesque man who despite his success is still very, very insecure. Kornheiser was AWFUL on MNF, just atrocious, and so they dumped him and the show is so much better with Gruden. Good for Wise for taking the high road -- Kornheiser, you are a CREEP. A homer and a Dan Snyders new lap dog. Congratulations! The only people who like your lame ass are fellow middle aged losers.

Posted by: dbunkr | November 17, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

"But see the guy isn't Irish, that's what makes it funny...."

Wise was right, Tony is a hack-

Posted by: S2DU | November 17, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

I worked at the Post for years while TK and Wilbon were there. I remember when Tony had his Style column (which was terrific) and people would be so disappointed when I'd have to tell them "sorry, but no, he's not pleasant to work with and is actually a borderline jerk". And that was before ESPN and all of that. He's not evil but he's not particularly charming and I'm sure it's worse now. Wise is not very good on the radio but he probably should be given props for waiting this long to call TK out.

Posted by: themantoyou | November 17, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

GOd.....if you have listened to the FAN...the Lavar Arrington show and his cohosts are IDIOTS.

They say stuff that is inherently inflammatory for ratings.

Sorry.....I feel dumber when I listen to public radio anyway......

Listen to SIRIUS NFL RADIO....its way better.

Posted by: GoonieGooGoo | November 17, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

How much would it cost to just have Czaban on all day, everday?

Posted by: colerwilson | November 17, 2009 3:42 PM
----------------------

You must be on crack, crank, pcp, and lord knows what else if you want to listent to Czaban at all, not to mention all day.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | November 17, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

@themantoyou:

I worked on PTI for it's first five years of existence and I was an avid reader of TK's columns growing up. Sadly, you're spot on. TK is (or has become) an insecure arrogant snob.

Posted by: ConductUnbecoming | November 17, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Lavar's a Clown! I don't understand where he's coming from half the time on the radio. He needs to get a little smarter before
getting into the mix between TK and Wise.

Posted by: jyshim | November 17, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Ok. Wilbon. The name dropper. Everyone is his friend and he can't say one bad thing i.e. criticism. And all the people who are not in the profession are morons. At least that's what he exuded the past few years. Recently, he seems to be stepping away from this attitude; coincidentally with TK's sacking at the Post. I applaud Wilbon for trying to get over himself.

When LaVar's show is on, man it is GREAT radio. But it can be a dud sometimes. Chad Dukes kind of irritates me a bit, but hey, that's the back-up dude's job.

As for Wise, his show is mostly boring. I think its his voice. Monotone. But his interviews are usually pretty interesting. Who doesn't remember the George Michael interview. GREAT radio!

TK, everyone USED to love TK. But Mr. Tony kind of decided to stop working. Can't blame him, I don't want to work either. But I think he believes that since he put in the time, he is OWED something. And he sees Wise as stopping him from whatever he is supposed to get. I hope TK gets over his perceived view of being screwed and goes back to being like the guy we missed. I doubt it though. If being canned from TWO jobs doesn't work, then I don't know what will.

Posted by: ABHFGTY | November 18, 2009 12:39 AM | Report abuse

BTW, great radio is when you can't wait to hear someone's opinion on a subject. There were days that I couldn't wait to hear LaVar's opinion on the sports news of the day (Sherm Lewis, Danny, George Michael, etc.) And I know others totally agree with me on this point.

Theisman is great radio. Yes, unfortunately I said it, but for all of Theisman's brown nosing of Danny, his radio show on Monday really talks about the game in a great way; i.e. why is Randle El still returning punts, etc. I wish Theisman was on The Fan.

I want to like Sheehan and Loverro. I think we need some baseball guys on the radio. But they don't do baseball much and their topics are the tired 980 talking points so the appeal is not that great.

Doc Walker's show, before Red Zebra, was great radio. And when B. Mitch was on John Thompson's show, it was good radio. But the Thompson show is seriously lacking without Smoking Al (shocking I know!) and Doc seems censored. Honestly, I barely listen to them anymore, and don't miss it either.

Wise and TK, not good radio. Yeah, TK used to be great radio. And I still sometimes listen to it when I remember to. But the reality is that I don't really care that much about what TK thinks. He freely admits to being uninformed. And if you want to listen to uninformed radio, listen to Czaben. His buffoonery is funny sometimes and better than TK's crotchety schtick.

Posted by: ABHFGTY | November 18, 2009 12:59 AM | Report abuse

I am so sick of Tony Kornheizer and Andy Polland. They are the most bitter people in the entire earth. You would think they are curing cancer. For two minutes of funny, no one can listen to two hours of "then I said this." Tony grabbed for the star at ESPN and missed. He wasn't that good. Andy is another grouchy no fun ESPN980 guy. Both of them are waiting to getting crunched like a bug by Dan Snyder. When Andy finishes his contract he will be out just like B Mitch and the others. Why don't they just have fun. Note to Tony and Andy-You never made the junior high team, stop acting like one of the guys. You are nerds. Mike Wise simply is not funny. He is not any thing. Sally has bigger ones than Mike. The post is a shadow of what it was. The reporting on the Redskins deserves the pulitizer but it has not been done by Wise or kornheiser. Once you take money from the evil one, you cross over to the dark side. I can't take Tony saying I wish we could all get along.

Posted by: HelloNewman1 | November 18, 2009 7:11 AM | Report abuse

Sorry Wilbon, Mr Tony , that fool Wise, Jenkins et al unless you where born and raised in the DC area you shouldn't be writing columns about DC sports and running your mouth.

Steinberg where you born here? If not shut up.

That leaves us with best columnist out there Tom.

Sorry the rest of ladies Wise. TK, Steinberg Jenkins et al need to stuff something in their mouths and shut up.

I was born at Bethesda Naval Hospital and have lived here all my live. I still have the autographs I got from Bobby, Charley, and Sonny from '65.

Tony and Wise on New Yorkers who made thier names wriiting about the Knicks. Both these ladies need to shut up and do what old ladies do complain about their hot flashes, their hubbies, and go shopping at the Super Wal Mart.

Posted by: sheepherder | November 18, 2009 7:19 AM | Report abuse

I find Lavar Arrington to be, perhaps, the rising star in all of this. I didn't realize he could be so articulate. Made some great points in defense of his colleague.

I think Mike Wise is a good guy. But not (yet) a very good show. TK show, well I'm bored with as well. Used to love it though pre-MNF Days. But maybe I'll tune in today to hear the rebuttal.

Posted by: pgustav | November 18, 2009 7:22 AM | Report abuse

Everybody knows that Tony K. is right. Mike W. changes his opinion at the drop of a hat (as if no one can remember what you just said) That makes no sense at all. The truth hurts. Bogman has no bad owner story so he promotes this feud...... I think you are more pathetic then the feud itself......

Posted by: punchdaclock | November 18, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Let's see...
TK, former WPost columnist
MW, current WPost columnist
DS, current WPost columnist

Who wins? The Washington Post.

These radio feuds are obvious attempts at trying to get ratings. At least Don Geronimo would have the guts to get "kicked" off the air.

Posted by: Reignking | November 18, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Tony's show is what it is...for 50+ white men.

Posted by: DisgustedinArlington | November 17, 2009 3:28 PM

-----------------------------

First; actually, DiA, I'm a 50+ white male and I don't have any use for him either; Tony the K (a radio reference for other 50+ people who remember "the fifth Beatle" disc jockey Murray the K) has been away from any real contact with the sports beat too long to really have much worthwhile to say on the subject.

Second; I met Kornheiser at an event and I can confirm that, at least on that one day, he was a total jerk.

Posted by: greggwiggins | November 18, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I'm 36, I like both guys and I think they are both talented. TK has been after Wise for years. I have personally laughed at some of the jokes. Before I listened to MW's show and discovered who he was, I was totally on TK's side. Bottom line, TK was wrong. In the past MW didn't have the arena to reply, now he does and he gave a very classy rebuttal.

Posted by: chvsr | November 18, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Tony K is the most obnoxious and rude person you'd ever meet in your life. I saw him once at a restaurant in Chevy Chase, where he had his whole family there and some friends. He was so loud that people sitting 4 tables away from him couldn't hold a conversation. He yelled over othr people's heads and tables to talk to somebody he saw at another table. And his kids are the ugliest childern I ever say in my life.

Posted by: yauzzza | November 18, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

The "Be nice" quote was Jimmy Durante's long before Johnny Carson used it.

Posted by: Other | November 18, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Kornheiser's so supremely arrogant that he won't take calls from listeners on his radio show. Not only that, but he disrespects his listenership by devoting substantial portions of the program to pop culture and political topics that nobody tunes in to hear about. While Wise doesn't stick with sports 100 percent of the time either, at least his main focus is on the local and national sports scenes. Ironically, Kornheiser may be driving listeners to Wise's show with his stubborn refusal to honor the all sports format.

Posted by: Mike_In_Fairfax | November 18, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

The take home is that LaVar apparently believes that Mike Wise is over six feet tall. Chalk one up for LaVar; I did not know this.

Surprised to hear in the comments that TK is a jerk when see in the wild. He's explicitly said on air that he feels you should be more than cordial to your fans since they've made you.

Also surprised Wise doesn't think TK can remain journalistic b/c he sat in the owner's box. Hasn't the Post had a little trouble recently too? That is, they were selling access to big DC names for a recent WaPo hosted dinner... I don't think the ability to maintain the perception of journalistic neutrality is a TK-specific problem. And Kornheiser didn't really call out fans so much as say that those who were in the box were "shocked" by their chant that Danny should sell the team.

Yeah, I guess I agree. It's all about ratings here.

Posted by: WorstSeat | November 18, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm under the age of 35 and I didn't grow up in the region. PTI excluded, I can't personally refer to a time when Tony was even tolerable to listen to.

Referring only to his behavior on and off of Monday Night Football, Tony was an egomaniacal jackass. In the first season, when faced with mild criticism from the sports community, he responded like a total buffon, calling into question the credibility of anyone who dare question that he is the funniest man alive. Every game he made no attempt to hide his personal disgust for Joe Theisman's intelligence, despite taking the job of his former co-workers and eventually getting him fired. Every season thereafter, Tony grew into a louder and almost unlistenable disaster. He barely paid attention to the game, offered no form of analysis, constantly berated his co-hosts for interrupting his "jokes", and NEVER STOPPED TALKING even when action was taking place.

I'm not a huge fan of Wise's. I don't listen to his radio show, but think he does a generally good job with his columns and analysis. However, he is entirely in the right both on the merits of the dispute and how he responded. Considering Tony's claim to fame is making loud, frequently wrong, 30 second analyses of sports stories, frequently expressing his love for HOMETOWN new york teams, I hardly think it's his place to rake someone over the coals for getting a call wrong, (especially when their boss is the OWNER of the team in question).

It's the same kind of petty, childish, obnoxious crap that I've seen out of Kornheiser the entire time I've been aware of his existence. Maybe those who heard him in the 80's know differently, but I'm not sure why he ever had a fanbase to begin with in the first place.

Posted by: jbanks979 | November 18, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Who's Andy Polland? Is he the bizzaro Andy Pollin? Awesome. Is the off-brand John Thompson actually interesting?

Posted by: mustafaredonkulous | November 18, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Mike Wise you know NADA about DC, Tony has been here for a large portion of his life and is the driver of the Bandwagon. Lavar you are on of the biggest hyped non performing players ever, you suck on the radio all you do is complain.

Posted by: mriordan123 | November 19, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse