Wizards make more height history

When I was watching Tuesday's loss to the Heat, I was thinking that it felt very much like the pre-Arenas era to me. It just felt more like the weirdly bad old days--when everything always went wrong, everyone always got hurt, the results were laughably awful and 9-20 was an annual touchstone--than last year, when some small berries of hope still remained.

Sure, Wiz fans I know insist that the team always starts slow, and that this is just a blip, but golly, it's a might turbulent blip.

Anyhow, the point of this post is that the presumed signing of Earl Boykins--reported by ESPN's Marc Stein and others--will be yet another blast from the bizarre past. I'll quote Joel Achenbach, writing in the Style section in 1993:

The Bullets have a history of taking a chance on the alternatively statured; this is the franchise that picked 5-3 Muggsy Bogues and 7-6 Manute Bol. Muresan might seem, at first glance, a sideshow, just another gimmick to boost attendance at Bullets games, like the novelty halftime acts, the T-shirt giveaways or the remote-controlled Lay's potato chip blimp that flies through the arena and drops coupons on the fans.

Indeed, if the Internet is to be believed, this will mean that the Bullets/Wizards franchise will have dressed the two tallest and the two shortest players in NBA history. It's just an amazing accomplishment, something I can't imagine any other franchise in any other sport would be able to say. It makes me proud to be a resident of this city metro area, and really, proud to be a sports fan.

By Dan Steinberg  |  November 11, 2009; 4:17 PM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Riggins responds to critics
Next: A call for Atlantic 11 voters

Comments

I once played blackjack with Manute in Vegas, he was sitting while I was standing and he was about the same height as me.

I once gave a high five to Gheorghe after the Wiz had beaten Chicago in the playoffs. You know things are going well for you in life when you get a high five from Gheorghe Muresan.

I don't have a Muggsy Bogues story, but hopefully I will run into Earn Boykins somewhere down the road. Maybe I'll be the one sitting at a blackjack table and hopefully he'll be standing, and then maybe we'll see eye to eye.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 11, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

LOL I played blackjack with a couple former NFL players in Vegas.

I did meet big Gheorghe recently on the concourse at a Caps playoff game. Shook his hand which was a feat in of itself. He did have a young child with him.

Posted by: Riddler1 | November 11, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

I saw Manute walking to the urinal at Mohegan Sun at my bachelor party (apparently the guy likes to gamble). And while I'm decidedly hetero, I tried to sneak a peak because come on, the guy's 7'7". You'd be curious too. Don't judge me.

Posted by: TheFunBunch | November 11, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Manute Bol and Muggsy Bouges were in the closet making babies and I saw one of the babies and the baby looked at me!

Posted by: fushezzi | November 12, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

The baby looked at you? We need to fire Flip Saunders.

Posted by: Lindemann777 | November 12, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

"And while I'm decidedly hetero, I tried to sneak a peak because come on, the guy's 7'7". You'd be curious too. Don't judge me."

---

I don't judge. At 7'7, it was probably eye-level for you anyway, requiring very little effort on your part to peek.

Posted by: VTDuffman | November 12, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I once saw Gheorge Muresan DJing at the DC101 Kegs and Eggs party. He didn't really fit into the DJ booth...

Posted by: JMSinCHeights | November 13, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I ran into Gheorghe Muresan at Disney World a couple of years ago. Said hello, seemed like a nice guy. Looked thinner than I remember with the Bullets. He has his child with him, so he was hunched over while holding hands and walking, but he was still the tallest man I'd ever seen. I also ran into Stone Cold Steve Austin at Disney, but that's a different story.

Posted by: paperboy76 | November 16, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse