'Worst Owner Ever' Banner

Now this is a big banner, huh? Anyone know who was responsible for it? Or what the reaction of security might have been? From what I can gather, the sign was unfurled pretty much directly in front of the owner's box, and then was displayed in both directions well enough for thousands of fans to see it. Thanks to everyone who sent along images.

Let me also say that my first reaction when I heard that the Redskins had overturned their sign policy was something like this: "Whew, I thought they'd do the right thing eventually. This makes me very happy."

My second reaction was something like this: "Now what the heck am I supposed to write about."

(True, 100 percent true story: Saturday night, I had a dream that the Redskins were confiscating pumpkins from fans. I managed to get a look at the stash of confiscated pumpkins, and to take a photo of them. I was kind of waking up at this point, and in that half-awake state, I figured I should write something like this:

What's the difference between Derrick Dockery and the confiscated pumpkin? One's a left guard, and the other's a left gourd!

I was very proud of this line, until I became fully awake and realized that there were no confiscated pumpkins after all.)

(Another 100 percent true story: as I was walking onto the field around the two-minute warning, a raccoon ran in front of me, through the tunnel that leads to the Skins' locker room, and under the end zone bleachers. Do raccoons live in FedEx? I never knew.)

Anyhow, the real point is, when you ban signs, you just encourage people to find illicit means to bring in massive banners like this, which are far from the FedEx norm. This banner is part and parcel of a sign ban. Do away with the ban, win a couple games, and this stuff goes far, far away. Or at least gets a lot smaller.

On the other hand, "On Sunday, I made a sign that I intended to only show off on Metro and in the parking lot before the game," Jeff Lavine wrote me. "When I heard they were letting signs inside, I was able to get this inside, no problem. I would say about 15 -20 people stopped me during the day to take a picture of it....I am just glad to know that the First Amendment no longer ceases to exist at the FedEx Field Gate. And if I had known in advance of the change in policy, I would not have left my 'Vinny Must Go' sign at home."

And, yes, there will come a day when I don't write a word about "signs" or "bans" or "raccoons and pumpkins and their relationship to professional football," but that day isn't today. Sorry, friends.

In conclusion, there were a few hiccups in the first fledgling steps of freedom (more on that later, if you can believe it), but there was definitely a fresh breeze blowing through the concourse.

"Last game was out of control," said Zach Crowe, 26, of Arlington. "It was just so suffocating. It was honestly like you were in Little Russia. It's hard to explain. [Guards] were just waiting around, looking for fights to pick basically. [This week] it just felt like a normal game, to be honest."

Onward to the future.

By Dan Steinberg  |  November 16, 2009; 10:03 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sellers drops a 'Cowgirls' reference
Next: Welcome to D.C., Levi Jones

Comments

I want my Fire Vinny Sign that I was displaying loud and proudly yesterday in Section 127 to get on the bog!

Posted by: Skins28 | November 16, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

To me, no owner-denigrating sign will ever top the two appearances of the "Short Stinks" banner at RFK stadium finales. The first one was lowered from the upper deck of the old doughnut in 1971 at the final Washington Senators home game to dishonor owner Bob Short, who was moving the baseball team from DC to Texas. St. Shirley Povich's account in The Post is at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/longterm/general/povich/launch/senators2.htm while a photo from that day of infamy is at http://www.nationalspride.com/columnists/post.cfm?blog=mark&id=237&story=this-day-in-dc-baseball-history-short-stinks.

In a beautifully appropriate coda, the same men -- though now 35+ years older -- returned to the final Washington Nationals game at RFK and hung a revised version of their banner, now reading "Short Still Stinks", from the same spot of the upper deck. The best photo I could find on the Internet is at http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1158/1430843504_0d306a7180.jpg

Posted by: greggwiggins | November 16, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

It's a miracle no eyes were poked out yesterday.

Posted by: cao091402 | November 16, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Yes, what the heck are you supposed to write about now? What other human-interest stories are there about DC area sports other than the Redskins sign ban or the Redskins in general? Not like there are any winning teams in DC with colorful player personalities and great fans. Oh wait...

Posted by: CapsChick | November 16, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I want more stories with raccoons.

Posted by: sitruc | November 16, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

"I want more stories with raccoons."

EagleBank Bowl 2, baby.

Posted by: Section117 | November 16, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I sit a few seats down from the guy who made the sign & was one of the people who assisted in holding up the banner. To my surprise they didn't send any ushers/security to confiscate the sign or harass the person responsible for making it.
We held it up during the injury timeout for the Broncos player that happened on the Skins go ahead TD drive. Being as Snyder's suite is directly behind our section, I can only imagine what he must've thought when we turned the sign around and it was staring him right in the face and our section and the surrounding ones went absolutely banana's cheering the sign.

Posted by: KHTerpSkinfan | November 16, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I read this column in disgust every week, not because it is the truth, but because I like to hear opinions from all angles, no matter how biased they may be (I watch foxnews also.. which we all know is 70% BS).

I realize that a bunch of non-season ticket holders hate the owner... but you losers need to face the innevitable. Snyder owns the team. He is not going anywhere. So if you don't like it, why don't you just start rooting for the cowboys, or better yet don't come to the games.

Keep thinking there is a revolution. There is not. When the team finally starts winning, you losers will fade away. I do wish someone pulled that out in my section... because I would've taken it from you and rip it to shreds while you watched.

Also, to the writer of this blog, I believe you have a personal "deep seeded hatred for the owner", so don't write anything positive when we win... you really should just keep trying to insticate/fabricate new problems with the organization for your blog. Otherwise, if you can't find anything mean to say, don't say anything at all.

Yours truly,

Redskins Season Ticket Holder (9 years and counting)

Posted by: forsythe332 | November 16, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

forsythe332 "I do wish someone pulled that out in my section... because I would've taken it from you and rip it to shreds while you watched."

What if the Raccoon had a sign??

Posted by: mb15 | November 16, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Section117, that would be a story about rats, wild cats, giant roaches, falling concrete, missing seats, weeds growing in the upper deck, flooded bathrooms, ... I think you get the idea. Raccoons would be afraid of RFK.

Posted by: sitruc | November 16, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Forsythe332; your words are so true. Every NFL team has a bad year. If, you were a true fan you would stop all the reckless talk and stick with your team no matter what. To those fans who complain all the time find "Awwwwwww Snap!"

Posted by: jworthington | November 16, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

forskin332; please don't attempt to speak for all season ticket holders. I am one, and for a LOT longer than 9 years. I'd say 90% of the fans in and around my section are completely fed up with Snyder and the entire operation. Lifting the "sign ban" 2 1/2 hours before kickoff is another attempt to control the outrage that exists among season ticketholders and allow the Redskins to continue to downplay the angst among fans.

Among the Redskins Season Ticket holders that I know, Snyder is hated. Maybe even a little more than Vinny.

Posted by: terp4303 | November 16, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

forsythe332: You read this article in disgust every week? Do you just enjoy being angry?

Steinberg writes about the LOCAL teams. As much as I am a fan of all the local dc teams, the Skins have the upper hand, just like the entire NFL does this time of year. He's writing about something that was a huge deal in the local media (and Steinberg should get credit for getting WUSA on this bandwagon). Has he also written stories regarding how "this will all fade, etc, etc?" And I believe he's also written about the caps, wizards, and whatever other random stuff is going on in the DC sports world. Just not as frequently because Ovechkin's out and the Wizards are knocking at the door of obscurity again.

We all read this "blog" out of enjoyment, it's a nice change of pace from the everyday "John Clayton, Ron "Jaws" Jaworski ESPN 24/7 whatever they are." It's him giving you the local side of the local teams, and if you want "hard nose sports facts," I'm sure Glen Beck will be putting out another book, once his brief stint at comedy is over.

Posted by: localdcfan84 | November 16, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Yours truly,

Redskins Season Ticket Holder (9 years and counting)

Posted by: forsythe332 | November 16, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Ok, that's definitely NOT the same Forsythe that I thought it was (the one who works with Steinz).

Posted by: Barno1 | November 16, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sitruc | November 16, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Good point. I guess even raccoons don't eat gray hot dogs.

Posted by: Section117 | November 16, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

forsythe332,
You need help my man. Take an aspirin and call the Dr. in the morning.

Posted by: hessone | November 16, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Terp4303 - I didn't speak for all season ticketholders. I simply have the opinion that most of the people that are making negative signs and doing all this retard revolution crap are not season ticketholders. Most of us would not risk losing our season tickets to hold a negative sign up at the stadium.

Yesterday a guy was selling anti-snyder bumper stickers in the parking lot. I asked him if he was a season ticketholder. He replied "no". I asked him if he was going to the game... again another "no". I told him to "get lost" (in so many words).

Anyways... a true redskins fan could care less about a sign ban and more about the team winning. Snyder is going nowhere. If people hate the owner... don't come to the game. If you agree with the negativity that is encouraged and posted here, yet you still pay for season tickets, the joke is on you.

BTW... very original on changing my last name.... never heard that one before.

Posted by: forsythe332 | November 16, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

forsythe332 posted:

BTW... very original on changing my last name.... never heard that one before.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So forsythe332,
Did you ask the fellow selling bumper stickers if he was a Redskin fan? Do you have to buy a season ticket or attend the game to be a Redskin fan? Isn't this the USA, where we value freedom of speech. You might object to what you call negativity, but if you think about it your comments are negative also.

Posted by: hessone | November 16, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

hessone - Let me qualify my comments as referring to the negativity related toward the team/FO/owner. Free speech is fine, but a banner in front of the owner saying "Worst owner ever". The attacks on Snyder are way too personal and getting old quick. I think some of these people care more about causing a scene than watching the game.

I hope the team wins a few more soon so that this stupid crap will go away.

Posted by: forsythe332 | November 16, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

forsythe332,
I hope we get some wins also. $nyder is responsible for his actions and rightfully deserves all criticizm directed his way. Ten years my man, ten years of the same old. You can buy his product if you like. But when you say too be a fan of the Redskins you need a ticket or attend a game is just as critical as your feelings that the fans are negative. Hope you can see both sides and remember we are all American's and I respect your thoughts also.

Posted by: hessone | November 17, 2009 7:55 AM | Report abuse