Battle of the Orange Line?

If you haven't been following it closely, you might have missed the massive amount of hype surrounding Wednesday's GW-George Mason game, which some GW fans have dubbed "The Battle of the Orange Line," possibly marking the first Metro-themed all-local basketball matchup in my lifetime. See the video, above, from the GW Web site Beat George Mason, which very well could be the first Web site dedicated to the defeat of a CAA men's basketball program in my lifetime. Though, heck, I haven't actually searched for "GougeGeorgiaState.com" or "JiltJamesMadison.com," so what do I know?

(Other local Metro battles I'd like to see: Battle of the Red Line, between UDC and American. Battle of the Red Line Too, between UDC and Columbia Union. Battle of the Green Line, between Maryland and Howard. Battle of the Sort of Gree Line, between Maryland and Georgetown, which, after all, plays its home games right above the Green Line. Battle of the DC Circulator between Georgetown and GW. And Battle of the MARC Train Penn Line/VRE Commute between Loyola and Mary Washington.)

It'll be the first time in more than a decade these local Georges have met, and I'd argue that GW actually has more to play for. George Mason has been to the tournament more recently, has been to the Final Four more recently, and is consistently ranked ahead of GW in the Atlantic 11. They're the top mid-major in this market; George Washington might at least re-open the argument with a convincing showing on Wednesday. But here's the key point: George Mason students aren't starting any "Beat GW" Web sites. Always punch up, Colonial fans.

Regardless, this Orange Line tussle has also led to competing blog posts. Rob at the Foggy Bottom Blog notes that GW has hosted more sitting presidents at home games, and also that while George Mason "helped to write the Bill of Rights," George Washington "gave birth to an entire nation without so much as an epidural."

The George Mason Basketball Blog, on the other hand, goes straight nasty about BeatGeorgeMason.com:

Very cute. I'm glad George Mason is their superbowl for this season. It will be interesting to see how many George Mason fans are in attendance because I know plenty are buying up the tickets. Through all of GW's promoting there still seems to be a lot of tickets left for seats in that high school gym of theirs

Dang. As for the Beat George Mason thing, there are also bumper stickers, and a bunch of cars in Fairfax were stickered early this week. And then there's this quote from Nicole M. Early, GW's executive director of Sports Marketing in Creative Management, given to the GW Hatchet:

"There has been a huge human effort by students and staff to market the game with minimal expenditures. As intended, the campaign has gone viral and groups such as the Colonial Army and Student Association are making a major push to get students to the game. One GW student even launched a Facebook group with over 800 fans already posting their commitment to attend this rivalry game."

As to the rivalry, well, the Hatchet also reported this:

The rivalry between the two men's teams dates back to the days when the schools' namesakes were alive and molding the U.S. Constitution.

I'm not sure that's technically correct. I believe the rivalry dates to when the schools' namesakes were alive and building rival Orange Line Metro stations on either side of the Potomac. But either way, this thing is so on.

(George Mason responds to the GW video.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  December 1, 2009; 1:09 PM ET
Categories:  Atlantic 11 , College Basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Wise meets Obama, Part II
Next: Men of Style, D.C. sports edition

Comments

Concerning the video at the top of this article, students at George Mason have produced a response. In the interest of equal coverage, I demand the the Post include this video in their article as well!

Posted by: gmu11 | December 1, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I hereby propose the Deep Impact Bowl between Maryland and Arizona.

Winner gets to have a comet of their choice blown up.

Posted by: Colm1 | December 1, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Brilliant response from Mason.

Posted by: tundey | December 1, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Dear Daddy,

OMG collidge is soooooooo awesome! My classes are like, totally boreing but our basketball team is sooooooo cool! We r totally going 2 crush those poor kids that go 2 mason, bro!

Love,

Tucker

PS- Send more $ please!

Posted by: bryc3 | December 1, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

To gmu11 - Why do people like you always have to inject race into everything? Last I checked, GW's head coach, Karl Hobbs, was black. It's just a basketball game, jeez. Stop trying to spew your message of hate and just enjoy the game. Let's go Mason!

Posted by: PatrickVerona | December 1, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I know the station and connection is there, but I've never actually used the Metro to get to Mason.

Posted by: sitruc | December 1, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Sigh. Some people just can't take a joke.

P.S., just in case anyone was wondering, we're not officially associated with the school or the team, of course.

Posted by: gmu11 | December 1, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't take much for me to root against anything and everything Fairfax. Go GW!

Posted by: MACCHAMPS04 | December 1, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Patrick look at the beatgeorgemason.com site. obviously no one can take this seriously. we havent played each other in 10 years. i didnt even know GW had a basketball team. They arent even in our conference! Pop a Midol and relax. No one is trying to inject race into anything. it was a casual (and hilarious) observation.

Posted by: AndrewBoehnlein | December 1, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

oh and go George Mason!

Posted by: AndrewBoehnlein | December 1, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kev29 | December 1, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Pop a Midol

Posted by: AndrewBoehnlein | December 1, 2009 3:59 PM

I thought he graduated a couple years ago?

Posted by: Kev29 | December 1, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

These local games are great. GW-Mason, Maryland-Mason, Maryland-GW, Maryland-AU, GW-Navy, Maryland-Navy, GW-AU. The more, the better. All of which brings up the sore point of no local tournament. A real shame, which as I understand it, can be blamed squarely on Georgetown, who is afraid to play GW and MAryland (and by now probably Mason too).

Posted by: dcsportsdude | December 1, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Im on a 7 year plan. who ever thought getting a Psych degree would be so much work!

Posted by: AndrewBoehnlein | December 1, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Obviously GWU students, athletes and alums have a problem reading maps and with directions.

GMU boys and girls is not on the Orange Line. Now The Law School is but real GMU students and alums don't acknowledge the campus that started life in a former Kresge's.

Maybe GWU should spend some of its endowment on educating its student body not just giving way financial aid.

Some day GWU will go to the Big Dance and polka because it sure won't be to play basketball.

GMU Class of 81

Posted by: vaherder | December 1, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Wow, lots of weird hate about this. It's a bit corny that GW is pumping up the game, but I think it's cool and makes sense, especially since bigger schools (Gtown, Maryland) don't seem to have the balls to play either school regularly. And for the folks saying it's not on the Orange line, got a better name for the game?

Plus GW went to the NCAA tourney three times in a row recently, 2004-2007, aside from being ranked as high as #6 and winning the A-10 tournament and regular season title. Obviously it's not the Final Four, but come on.

Posted by: awiseman1 | December 1, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Okay.... I am a huge Colonial fan. While I am into basketball as a sport, I won't be technical- anyone interested in stats and facts can look them up. My love for the team is biased because I have really close friends on the team who I support. My reason for taking the time out to write a response is completely unrelated. I was completely thrown off by the George Mason video response. I had to show it to my co-worker without stating my concerns to gauge if my reaction was unjustified. Apparently it is not. As a person of color (a dark skinned Puerto Rican for those who feel they need to know), I do not appreciate the focus of the video response being racial. That was just plain unnecessary and out of place. I'm not trying to rant (lords know white people throw hissy fits and accuse you of utilizing the race card if you do)but I was just confused by the video. It's stupid.

I won't waste my time bashing the other team, but I'll definitely be rooting my butt off for my boys.

Go Big Blue!!!
GWU Faithful

Posted by: Mandita215 | December 1, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

in addition, it has been rumored that a George Mason dean bought 1,000 tickets to the game in the Smith Center. That is one reason why there is so much hype at GW.

Posted by: mc8994 | December 1, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

The prez at GWU could afford to buy tickets for everyone ay GWU, their families and friends and treat them all for dinner at Kinkeads.

What dean at GMU? Name please little boy?

VA doesn't pay its dens at GMU enough to buy a 1000 tickets!

GWU does but GMU is state supported school,

Posted by: vaherder | December 1, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

The GMU response is hilarious!!! I really was pretty neutral about this game -- until I saw the GMU video clip. Go Mason!!!

Posted by: css1 | December 1, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

GMU just played a tournament in Puerto Rico, and i heard they went out of their way to spit on all the locals. Get real man. You were "completely thrown off by the George Mason video response" because it was a joke, a joke(you know, funny ha ha?) If race wasnt a big deal for you, you wouldnt have brought it up. Dont worry, im sure in a few days the Huffington Post will have a story complaining of some other case of racism which you can focus your attention on. Nothing that could be posted by CollegeHumor should be taken seriously.

Posted by: AndrewBoehnlein | December 1, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

@Andrew: And then you have to go and bring politics into it. Well done. Clearly that commuter school of yours didn't teach you about ad hominem arguments. Though I guess that's to be expected from a school that's 10th best academically in their own athletic conference (though I may be giving Georgia State too little credit).

Go GW!

Posted by: MaxWass | December 1, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Ha good one. If my dick was the size of my GPA and you were sucking it then you would be sucking a 3.5 inch dick.

Posted by: AndrewBoehnlein | December 1, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Andrew, I have no interest in the matter one way or the other, but come on, that was probably the lamest line/insult/brag I've ever heard in my entire life. I'm serious when I say I don't even know where to begin with its terribleness.

Posted by: funkyfood | December 1, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

3.8, chow down.

Posted by: MaxWass | December 1, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Man a 3.8 isn't anything to brag about when you're a Communications major.

Posted by: AndrewBoehnlein | December 1, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

The response video sucked but the original video was terrible to begin with; it would be rude to expect the response to break trend. Anyway I'm looking forward to this game. Mason is too young and inconsistent to expect much but it should be a victory for the green and gold. The only logical prediction is that Max and Andrew will play swords at halftime before hooking up.

But the Mason is the "10th best academically in their own athletic conference" comment was pretty funny considering its source. How many Nobel Laureates teach at GW? GW is what it always was: a school for kids that couldn't get into G'town but wanted to be near it and pay more.

Go Green Go Gold!

Class of 09

Posted by: NateMinarik | December 1, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

That's in Mechanical Engineering at Cornell. If I had gone to GW, I would have had a 3.9. And if I had gone to George Mason, they would have had to grade me on the scale of the speed of light.

Posted by: MaxWass | December 2, 2009 2:28 AM | Report abuse

Awww, this is so cute.

It's like two little kids sitting in the back seat of the station wagon arguing over a Happy Meal prize.

The Hoyas are happy to remain your daddy, driving the car up front and enjoying your antics in the rear view mirror.

Maryland (that's UMCP to you) would be riding shotgun, but we left mom back at the gas station for being such a whiny little b**ch.

Posted by: etpietro | December 2, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

etpietro, how about Gtown and Maryland actually play Mason and GW regularly? Then you can attempt to brag (poorly) about it.

Posted by: awiseman1 | December 2, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Happy to see a little talk between the two schools. I hope this goes beyond the two years.

Georgetown and MD are too scared to play anyone in the area on a regular basis. "We're the best team in the area, but we'll only play you if you suck this year and come to our house." They won't even do a home/at-home series with these teams. As if its incredibly tough to jump on the metro to cheer for their team on another campus.

Here's hoping for a fun game tonight that will get the area excited about these two teams.

Posted by: EShine | December 2, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Just came back to gloat. Thoroughly enjoyed the spankdown. Maybe you'll actually show up at home next year.

Posted by: babakm | December 3, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse