Beathard: "It's a terrific move"

There's definitely a 2005 2004 feeling in the air, the sense that the broken-down Ikea couch has been cleared out, and a nice piece of classy, restored actual furniture put in its place. This is a little bit different than the '05 '04 hiring of Joe Gibbs -- Bruce Allen has the right last name, while Gibbs had the first and last names--but yet again, it's a time where you want to hear from the Redskins greats.

Like Bobby Beathard, for example. The longtime Skins general manager was on Mike Wise's 106.7 The Fan show Thursday morning, and he was nearly effusive, in words if not in tone.

"I think it's a terrific move, I really do," said Beathard, who had heard about Allen's hiring only moments before via a phone call from Sonny Jurgensen. "I know Bruce and I think a lot of Bruce. He works well with people, he's a smart guy, he's a listener. As long as he doesn't get interference and [ownership] lets him do his job, I think that was a terrific move by Dan."

The big question, of course, is whether that lack of interference is possible with this franchise. Beathard, who previously had discussions with owner Dan Snyder about re-joining the organization, said he thought it was.

"Yeah, I do," he told Wise. "We all learn from things, and Dan's a smart guy. Bruce has so much experience, he's worked with so many good people and he grew up in that [area]. Bruce is very knowledgeable, and the good thing getting Bruce is also it's not just a guy that's coming in to head up the team, it's a guy that's been involved in drafts, and I think that's really important. There's a lot of general managers that are business people and really aren't football people, and that's the key with getting a guy like Bruce. Knowing Bruce, he's a nice guy, the name there brings a lot of credibility to the Redskins. And I just know from where he's been before, he works well with everybody and he's a guy that knows what's going on and let's people do their jobs. I think it's a terrific move. I'm excited about that."

Eventually, this led to a discussion of the benefits of hands-off ownership, and this might as well be posted on laminated wallet-sized cards for a certain type of fan to bring to games.

"I've been around owners that were not hands-off, and Joe [Gibbs] and I just made something [clear] to Mr. Cooke: we said just let us do this our way, and if we screw it up, fire us. And we almost screwed it up. We were 0-5 that first year, and we were almost out of there before it started. But he was a wonderful owner, and John Cooke was the same. We had a lot of meetings with them, and Mr. Cooke was really tough. There were times my stomach was in knots.

"But he was great. He never once that I can remember interfered with any decisions we made. I could explain the decisions that we were thinking of doing, and he really helped us make better decisions or the right decisions, because he would ask you questions, but never second-guessed you. During the season he only came over to the office on Thursdays, and he'd come in, say hello, or sometimes you'd never see him. I don't even know if he ever went in the football part of [the building] back there except to say 'Hey guys, how you doing,' and that's it."

Beathard sort of shied away from evaluating Cerrato's performance with the Skins, saying when he met with Snyder, "I expressed my feelings about it, [and] I don't want to say any more." He wouldn't address Cerrato's reluctance to draft offensive linemen, either, but he did say his heart goes out to Skins fans.

"I felt for Washington," Beathard said. "I mean, the fans were the best, it's the best experience we've ever had in football, [my wife] and me and the kids. That town deserves the best. So that hurt, to see the team not get back to the top. But I think now this will bring a lot of new life to it, and I think the fans really have something to look forward to now. I think it's a great move."

By Dan Steinberg  |  December 17, 2009; 12:29 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Is the Burgundy Revolution over?
Next: Bruce Allen and the Redskins: Some Vignettes

Comments

I *heart* Bobby Beathard.

Posted by: 4-12 | December 17, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

"This is a little bit different than the '05 hiring of Joe Gibbs"

He was hired Jan. 4, 2004.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 17, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Pretty sure Gibbs was hired in 2004 sillypants

Posted by: RickFelt | December 17, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

It would be nice to get Bethard back in the fold...he is a GREAT tallent evaluator.

Posted by: brent4a | December 17, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Hey Barno, you want to see any more of your old quotes?

Anyone else wanna see Barno's "predictions" for the '09 season and have a good laugh.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | December 17, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Poopy, Let the fly! i would love to see what the Kool Aid drinker had to say.

With another Bruce in the house (Gabby of the Caps being first) how will we readily differentiate that we are talking about Redskins Bruce as oppossed to Gabby?

Posted by: Leeguru | December 17, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

The absolute biggest mistake Snyder made in his 10 year tenure as owner of the Redskins....

Bringing Joe Gibbs back as coach and NOT bringing Bobby Bethard as GM. Hopefully he's recognized this as of today.

Posted by: jbanks979 | December 17, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Okay, well in light of Vinny hitting the bricks there's this one from Barno1.

“Viva Vinny. The guy is one has blossomed into one of the better talent evaluators in the game. Of course, Redskins fans refuse to acknowledge this, but they will be forced by next January.” Posted by: Barno1 | September 22, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | December 17, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

“Vinny is awesome.”

Posted by: Barno1 | October 2, 2009 12:15 PM

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | December 17, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Danny Boy has finally wised up and begged Beathard for instruction. Bobby Beathard is the real foundation of the Skins glory days. Slow decline started when he left. And if BB thinks this will work, so do I.

Posted by: shanks1 | December 17, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

You can only imagine what Beathard said to Snyder when he was asked to critique Vinny Cerrato's body of work with the Redskins.

It was probably one of the things that convinced Snyder to act now and not wait until the offseason.

Posted by: leopard09 | December 17, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

If Bobby Beathard says it's a good hire, I'm all in.

Posted by: js_edit | December 17, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

"If Bobby Beathard says it's a good hire, I'm all in."

Posted by: js_edit

Amen, to that.

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | December 17, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

When Beathard speaks I listen.

Posted by: pstotts15 | December 17, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

It wouldn't surprise me if Synder actually called Beathard and asked him his advice on the matter.

- ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 17, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Had tears after reading Beathard's comments. God bless you, Bobby.

Posted by: RedCherokee | December 17, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Thank You MR. Dan Snyder! You have done the right thing in letting Vinny go! The best christmas present ever! Dear MR. Allen, PLEASE DRAFT OFFENSIVE LINEMEN! PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE!!! BTW Barno HAHAHAHAHAHA.The laugh is on you! VINNY SUCKS!!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | December 17, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brent4a | December 17, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse
======================================

Beathard did a nice job while he was in DC, but PLEASE don't make the guy out to be some perfect GM!!!
The fact is that he was notorious for trading away high draft picks and struck out big most of the time. He certainly hit his share of late round gems, but to make him out to be the "great evaluator" is looking through rose colored glasses!!
Besides, the guy is around 73 years of age and there is no way he would move away from the west coast to jump into the GM seat again!!

Posted by: dkidwell61 | December 17, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm the 1st to say good bye to Vinny but its has to be said that Vinny had an eye for talent so give him his due!!! Its the other GM duties he had problems with so I am sad to see Vinny the talent scout go he is the guy who founded the likes of (Horton,Golston,Tryon,Doughty,Heyer) I mean the list could go on so before we bad mouth him give the man his respect and then trash talk him !!!

Posted by: robbkels | December 18, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse