Cerrato's interview with Jimmy Clausen

You know, I was going to print the entire transcript of Vinny Cerrato's interview with Jimmy Clausen, but I'm tired of being a mere transcription robot. So instead, I will rank seven highlights for your reading pleasure. See, this way I'm a transcription robot who at least uses the cut and paste keys. Go to ESPN 980's corporate-sponsored audio vault if you want to listen.

1) The Redskins, as you well know, might draft a quarterback. Reports indicate that Vinny Cerrato has already been to South Bend to scout Clausen this season. In that light, this question from Cerrato the media member was just tremendous.

"Now, evaluate yourself as a quarterback," he told Clausen. "What do you need to improve upon for the next level?"

"You know, obviously I have to improve my speed and my strength," Clausen said. "And just keep getting in the classroom and watching as much film as I can, and being more of a leader, on the field, off the field, and just be around my teammates and do anything I can to help the team win."

2) "Give me a scouting report on Golden Tate," Cerrato requested of Clausen.

See, this wasn't just information gathering at the QB position! It also allowed the Redskins to scout a wide receiver!

"Golden Tate. I think he's the biggest playmaker in college football and is gonna be a real big asset to a team in the NFL," Clausen said. "He's got great hands as a receiver, he's got to work on running routes, but at the same time every single time the ball's in his hands he's gonna make a play, make guys miss and ultimately score."

3) Turns out a lot of the highlights didn't actually involve Clausen speaking.

Like they were discussing the weather in South Bend, when Cerrato dropped this nugget.

"You know what I used to tell kids when I'd be recruiting them, Jimmy, because they'd ask me about the weather. I said, 'Oh, it's not that bad.' I said, 'It doesn't snow that much.' I would tell 'em, you know, we've got bowl practice, then you leave middle of December for bowl practice, then you go a warm place for a bowl, then you come back middle of January, school starts, and I said winter's over [laughter]. And it was just beginning, really."

Haha! What a jokester!

4) "Now I read where you get advice from Joe Theismann and Joe Montana, two ex-Notre Dame quarterbacks," Cerrato said. "What kind of advice do they give you?"

Now, bear in mind that Cerrato and Theismann are actually ESPN 980 co-workers. I hope to heavens that Theismann has Clausen on in coming weeks to ask what Cerrato has told him. Anyhow, here's his response.

"You know, they just talk to me like I'm one of their sons, and just tell me all the ins and outs of everything," he said. "I think the biggest thing those guys taught me on the field is just to take what the defense gives you and just check the ball down if nothing's down the field. You know, coming into Notre Dame I always thought that I needed to make a play down the field every single time I had the ball, but that's really not the case. You just want to keep the chains moving, keep getting first downs and at the end of the drive, you ultimately want to score. And they just talk a lot to me about mental preparation of the game. I'm really gonna be talking to both of those guys going into this process of the draft and down the road."

5) Cerrato actually promo'd the upcoming Clausen interview in the show's first segment.

"I've never spoken to Jimmy Clausen, so it'll be kind of fun to talk to him," he said. "He had an outstanding career at Notre Dame, and I read an article about Joe Theismann promoting him to go to the NFL the other day, so it'll be interesting to catch up on Notre Dame news with him."

Seriously, all general managers should do a show like this.

6) "Jimmy, what final are you getting ready to take today?" was Cerrato's first question.

"I'm getting ready to actually go meet one of my sociology professors in study session right now," Clausen replied.

"See that's one of the things, you've got to tell everybody that [at] Notre Dame, you don't get the easy classes, you've got to take all the hard classes and you've got to study, you've got to go to tutors, you've got to do all those things, correct?"

Yeah. Sociology. Brutal.

7) After the interview was over, Cerrato returned to the Charlie Weis factor, which they had discussed several times during the interview.

"I think playing for Charlie Weis will help him," Cerrato surmised. "And a lot of people will talk to Charlie about compare him to Brady Quinn, compare him to this and that, and what do they think of him. And the thing that he's got going for him, reading the articles, is Charlie's gonna be back in the NFL. And if it's with a team that needs a quarterback, then he may end up back with Charlie. So good luck to the Notre Dame guys."

By Dan Steinberg  |  December 11, 2009; 10:57 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cerrato explains Suisham release
Next: Cerrato: 'Some crazy things have happened'

Comments

We're screwed.

Posted by: peterandmeredith | December 11, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

This is painful . . . and hilarious. Get ready to root for this tool Clausen, Skins fans.

Posted by: jacktrickard | December 11, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Welcome Dan Snyderskins rebuilding project version 6 or 7.0, project superbowl 2010.

Posted by: jbanks979 | December 11, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

By Jan 15, Charlie Weis will be the second fat man in a red suit in less than a month to touch down in D.C.

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | December 11, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

This is insanity on a rare level. I think I need to see a therapist if I am going to continue rooting for this team. Thank you Vinny.

Posted by: eorr53 | December 11, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I think one of the previous commenters was right. Vinny must have something dirty on Danny. We know that Danny demands yes-men, and we know how good Vinny is at flattery. He's the Rasputin of the 21st century. But nothing other than direct knowledge of life imperiling skeletons can explain how Vinny remains employed after all this.

Posted by: Dellis2 | December 11, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I love how each new comment on here is more desperate than the previous. Welcome to the Washington Redskins.

Posted by: gtstang9t3 | December 11, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

The two biggest unsolved mysteries in history:

How were the pyramids built?

How is it that this doofus is running an NFL franchise?

Posted by: vt901 | December 11, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

SERIOUSLY, we are screwed.

Posted by: whughes1 | December 11, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Great. Weiss and Clausen coming up. Obviously Snyder learned nothing from Spurrier and Wuerffel.

Posted by: RIP-21 | December 11, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Vt, to answer your question:

I think Vinny has Syphillis. At one point in time he was a successfull college scount and personel man for the 49ers. However, as the years have passed he seems to get continually dumber, topping himself on a near daily basis. The reason is syphillis, it is slowly eating away at his brain, and Danny cant fire him for fear of a discrimination lawsuit. That is the only logical answer.

Posted by: gtstang9t3 | December 11, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Wanted: NFL Team to Watch, Root For, Maybe More

Likes: Intelligently-run organization which rewards professionalism and accountability from the placekicker to the owner, some semblance of chemistry, team owner not a complete tool is a plus

Dislikes: moral victories, immoral business practices, googly eyes, price-gouging, blaming everybody but those in charge

1-800-I'M-DONE

Posted by: minorthread | December 11, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Surprised he didn't ask:

"So, Jimmy, what was it like having the GM of the Washington Redskins at your practice? Was he a particularly handsome fellow?

I read somewhere that he is quite a competent team builder. Your thoughts?"

Posted by: ThisGuy | December 11, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

This is crazy but he just might be a worse interviewer than he is a GM. This guy is a clown. When will this nightmare end?

Posted by: JustinG1 | December 11, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

PUT CERRATO AND DEBBIE YOW ON A RAFT AND FLOAT THEM DOWN THE POTOMAC TO NEVER BE SEEN AGAIN!

Posted by: DaveLopan | December 11, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

For the first time (as far as I can remember), we could have Skins fans pulling a Jets/Knicks and loudly booing a draft pick on live television. Awesome.

Posted by: Kev29 | December 11, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

What a moron!!

Posted by: dph60 | December 11, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

My God. Any one has any idea about Vinny's IQ? After listening to that crappy interview, I actually don't mind JC and JZ/SL combo for another year at all..

Posted by: KarK | December 11, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Danny grew up a Cowboys fan. His dream was to buy the Redskins and slowly destroy them.

Posted by: JBuss | December 11, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

"I think one of the previous commenters was right. Vinny must have something dirty on Danny. "

As I've said before, it has nothing to do with that at all. Vinnie is just a symptom of the larger "Dan Snyder wants to be general manager" disease.

As George Michael pointed out in his interview earlier this year. Vinnie is nothing more than a scapegoat for Danny's personnel mistakes. You really think
a. this idiot has actual power
b. Dan Snyder wants to fire Vinnie but can't?

Posted by: jbanks979 | December 11, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

This is like something out of a Joseph Heller novel.

Posted by: Lindemann777 | December 11, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Please don't draft a QB in the first round. Please.

Posted by: mkremnitzer0 | December 11, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

gtstang9t3, classic. Cerrato, the Nietzsche of the NFL. Give him a few more years. He'll get there.

Posted by: WorstSeat | December 11, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

"The absolute worst possible off season scenario, (Vinnie retained, JC and Zorn fired, Clausen drafted), appears to be the most likely one to happen"

The horror....the horror....the horror

Posted by: Guyasuta | December 11, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | December 11, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Charlie Weis is going to be the 'Skins Head Coach next year!!!!!! VC just tipped his hand!!!!!!

Posted by: GC4Life | December 11, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1

HA-If not for a lack of trying.......

Will you go on record with the skins will draft an offensive lineman as another of your "predictions"??

Posted by: jbanks979 | December 11, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Quote:
"Get a grip people. We heard the same nonsense last off season and the fans bought that media-driven gossip as well. Is Jay Cutler a Redskin? No. Is Mark Sanchez a Redskin? No. The Redskins will draft an big offensive lineman with their 1st round pick next year...so please, stop the panicking."

If they could have closed the deal one of them would be here right now and JC would be toast rather than soup and there woild be no first round choice next year.

Posted by: bullwinkle1 | December 11, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

...I hate my life.

Posted by: jmicrodoc | December 11, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Surprised Synderato is not taking Clausen and Tate out to Georgetown for dinner and drinks and then a real "welcome home" surprise in the back of the limo. It must be Vinny's Time O'da Month.

Posted by: regis429 | December 11, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse