Clinton Portis discusses Tiger Woods

I'm not sure why it took the world this long to find out what Clinton Portis thinks about the Tiger Woods situation, but I'm sure glad that we know now.

After yet more concussion questions during Portis's weekly appearance on ESPN 980's John Thompson Show, the host finally said he was sick of football and wanted to ask Portis about something else. Brilliant, brilliant move, sir.

Now remember, you can't necessarily take everything CP says at face value, and he also tends to have poor cell phone connections during these interviews. Some of his words were garbled, and I've listened to this a bunch of times. This, to the best of my transcribing ability, is what he said.

"Well, I think he's being treated unfair," Portis said of Woods. "Honestly, I always felt like everybody in that position--whether you're a reporter, whether you run a grocery store, whether you're the guys who's doing an endorsement with Tiger--I'm sure in their offices the same thing's going on. I'm sure they've got a lot of hidden secrets, a lot of hidden secret admirers, women that they talk to and everything else. Being an athlete, you're put under a microscope and everybody wants you to be perfect. You just can't have nothing else going on.

"And I think for so long, Tiger's image was that of just a perfect person. Nobody wanted to see [anything else]. Now all of the sudden, you go from loving this man who you admired for all these years, and you find out he had a side woman and all of the sudden you hate him? You know, he's still the same man that you grew to love. I mean, he kept it on wraps. For any man to be able to keep that on wrap for that long, to keep his business [private]. I'm sure this wasn't the first time his wife found out he was probably with talking to somebody else, but it was always hidden their business, it wasn't in the public eye, it wasn't pressure for her to leave him, there wasn't pressure to ruin their home. I'm sure they got into it before. I doubt that this is the first time she picked up his phone and seen another woman had called him.

"But I say don't get married, if it's not out of your system. I'm not married. You know, I would love to be able to say, I'm a perfect guy, yeah, baby, yeah. I'm not. You know, I gonna may have temptations. If I find the temptation worth fulfilling, I'm gonna fulfill my temptation. If that ends up getting me in trouble in time, you know, I'll deal with it then. But right now I'm not married, and I'm 28 years old, and I'm gonna enjoy my life.

"So I think for Tiger and this situation, I think it turned out bad. You know, everybody's jumping off his bandwagon and judging him all of the sudden--oh, he's such a bad guy. But the same guys saying he's such a bad guy, out of the office the other golfers, I'm sure they're doing the same thing. The people that are pointing fingers, I'm sure they're doing the same thing, they just haven't got caught, or it hasn't been exposed. But I'd say for Tiger, you patch up your family, enjoy what you're doing. If your wife gonna accept it, your kids gonna still love you, go about your life."

Doc Walker then asked Portis if there's any chance that all of Tiger's accusers are legit, that 14 women all had Tiger relationships.

"He needed to be congratulated. I said the same thing," Portis interrupted with a chuckle. "If he could keep that a secret and ain't nobody came out and told [on him], hey, congratulate him. You know, most of the time there's one or two, and you can't keep that a secret. So if he can balance 14 and keep it a secret, congrats. You know, at least he knows what he wants. He don't discriminate, he's not against people, he don't care what your job, what your background is....He knew what he was after."

By Dan Steinberg  |  December 15, 2009; 3:54 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Officials thought Fred Davis made a lewd gesture
Next: Portis compares the Redskins to The U

Comments

Gotta love Clinton,he sure does speak his mind.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | December 15, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I've always appreciated Portis' honesty, no matter what you can count on him to tell you what he thinks. However, I have to be honest too and say that this was a question he should not have touched with a 10 foot pole if this was the answer he was going to give. I don't think anyone should be congratulated for keeping 14 mistresses a secret. Granted, I didn't hear this interview, so Portis was probably chuckling when he was talking --- but really CP? Yikes...

Posted by: jt27 | December 15, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Holy Moly.

Posted by: MarylanDChris | December 15, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I like Clinton's response a great deal. He shows a real appreciation for marriage and a desire to do it right. Many professional athletes could learn a great deal just applying that simple test. If Clinton does end up somewhere else, I'll certainly miss his honesty.

Posted by: jjhare | December 15, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Tiger Woods had relationships with 14 women, hmm. Didn't Wilt write a book about having had many many more. The golf circuit is infamous for all of the groupie's that follow golfer's around just like any other pro athelete. So my question is, before Tiger, there were Arnie's Army, Sammy, etc, etc. Also back before the media was so caught up in the "Gotcha Mentality", were all of the rest of the golfer's on the pro circuit practicing celibacy? Ah before Tiger? After Tiger? Yeah I know, no way these guys would do a thing like that. They were monks also. When people want to do like throwing more oil on the fire and watch it burn.
Seems like a very long time ago, it was written that a very wise "Man" asked this question and got No response from the "Mob" of righgtous people shouting "Stone Her", "It's the Law!". This very Wise Man asked them, "Any of you without Sin, cast the 1st Stone". So if anybody that Never committed a Sin your life, then bust Tiger Woods up side the head. BTW, lying, cheating, stealing even though you plan to pay it back before you get caught, beating ya wife, ya husband, ya kids, ya dog, kicking the neighbor's cat, paying for the answer's on a term paper, threatening to kill someone, eating to much, eyeballing that cute chick that looks like she is 25 and your daughter is the same age, oops sorry. I GOT CARRIED AWAY, after all, I'm just a plain ole Sinner, lol.

Posted by: butche106 | December 15, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Sound advice from CP. If you want to tap everything in sight - that's cool. Just don't be married and hurt the spouse.

Here's to many a one night stands for CP before he settles down........

Posted by: CF11555 | December 15, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Tiger is a sleaze bag, get over it.
CP, time for you to leave DC your best days are behind you. We all know what a racially biased jerk John Thompson is.

Posted by: rjclay | December 15, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

First up-CP, you are an idiot who'd probably do better keeping his mouth shut-Secondly-your a quitter..Westbrook has had 2 concussions and still wants to comeback and play while you are shutting it down for the season-I hope the major changes made in the off season involve your departure.

Posted by: jbrennan602 | December 15, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Just an example of Portis showing his rotten soul. He came out initially and defended the dog fighter and now Woods. What a scumbag. I can't wait until he is gone from the Redskins.

Posted by: astrober1 | December 15, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

You deserve special compensation for listening to that radio show for that long....Thompson is unbearable. Portis is a joke- good riddance. I wonder if Thompson was mad that Tiger only slept with white chicks?

Posted by: danredmondfootball | December 15, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if you are mad that he only slept with white chicks, dan

Posted by: time1 | December 15, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

I've listened to the Thompson show a few times and each time it occurred to me that I might be the only white guy listening. The demographic for that show is clear....

Posted by: randysbailin | December 15, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

its chocolate city. if u want the opposite demographic, just turn to ANY OTHER channel 24/7.

on tiger, yeah you shouldn't cheat. but, its not the worst sin of the month. and its between he and his wife.

Posted by: 20yrskinfan | December 15, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Thompson talking to Portis is like Chef from South Park talking to Mushmouth from Fat Albert.

Posted by: bal503 | December 15, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Will you crybaby arse dudes quit all your yappin'!

You're whining about John Thompson being a racist and his show being slanted for a certain demographic. If that's how you feel then just turn the dial.

I will tell you some individuals with racists views whom I don't care for and don't listen to:

Rush Limbaugh
Anne Coulter
Sean Hannity
Bill O'Rielly
Glenn Beck

I have my opinion on them and don't care for them. But you, there must be a lot of people in society that have the same views, values, and visions that those commentators have. And so I don't get worked up I just don't listen to it.

Why don't you chocha's do the same.

Posted by: BigTee13 | December 15, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

jbrennan, CP was ready and wanted to come back in the game he received the concussion. He didn't ask to go on IR. How does that make him a quitter?

Posted by: msrent | December 16, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

FYI, having listened to a good audio version on the ESPN 980 site, I made a few changes to the above transcript. Minor things I just changed, significant words I blotted out and replaced so you can see what was changed. My bad.

Posted by: DanSteinberg1 | December 16, 2009 12:48 AM | Report abuse

"you find out he had a side woman and all of the sudden you hate him?"

Clinton -- a "side woman?" Do you have a concussion? It's like, 80 or 90 women. And now Tiger's wimpering like a baby because he got caught.

Portis, a great ball carrier, and NO Einstein. [But still smart enough not to get married!]

Posted by: kls1 | December 16, 2009 1:05 AM | Report abuse

Heaven or Hell? Read up on it!

Lead us not into temptation........

Posted by: PinotNoir | December 16, 2009 1:56 AM | Report abuse

Portis is a knucklehead. The only thing that made a semblance of sense was that he was not married and maybe Tiger shouldn't have gotten married. But, to somehow excuse his behavior by pointing to the fact that other people may not be perfect is a classic diversionary tactic and illogical.

Hey Big,

You list people that I have heard and listened to quite a bit. Well, with the exception of Rush and Ann. Never heard a single racist word from them. Try forming your own opinions and not falling into lockstep with political haters that make up nonsense. Even with Rush, all the supposedly "racist" things he said were debunked as being made up urban myths during his attempt to become an NFL owner. Get a brain of your own!

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 16, 2009 2:30 AM | Report abuse

Rush Limbaugh isn't racist?

Debunked urban myths? Debunked by whom? Rush?

Who told you that? Rush?

You're an idiot, rphilli721. You might want to look into a brain for yourself.

Posted by: Thinker_ | December 16, 2009 5:39 AM | Report abuse

I'll take Gods word for it that adultery is bad. Portis clearly has no respect for these three possibilities:

1) Transferring STD's to an innocent spouse
2) Children who grow up with no Father
3) Having to decide whether or not to get an abortion.

I realize that Portis is a Pro-Athlete. Temptations abound, and it's good that he didn't get married. But asking him questions about marriage is like asking a six-year old about Politics. Why bother? They don't get it!

Posted by: wewbank1 | December 16, 2009 7:06 AM | Report abuse

And Tiger didn't just Sin. He sinned repeatedly, which shows no remorse or even fear of displeasing his spouse OR the man upstairs. Using the excuse "I'm not perfect" only works when you are sorry for what you've done. It's not an excuse to go ahead and sin whenever you want.

Posted by: wewbank1 | December 16, 2009 7:11 AM | Report abuse

BigTee13,

Sorry dude, but chocha isn't in the dictionary. Jesse Jackson, Louis Farrakan, and Al Sharpton. These are men who keep the race game going for their own profit and you keep getting sucked in.

Posted by: hessone | December 16, 2009 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: msrent
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He doesn't practice. Quitter!

BOYCOTT $NYDER-FIRE CERRATO-PORTIS POCKETS STRAIGHT!

Posted by: hessone | December 16, 2009 8:08 AM | Report abuse

It sounds crude to say this, but Tiger has a substance problem, and I think he needs to see it that way.
- recovering addict for 35 years.

Posted by: rick18 | December 16, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Say what you want about Clinton. I wouldn't want my kids hearing what he has to say. But that being said, John Thompson is the surprise here. He thinks the same way about it. His comment above, "Hey Clinton, I said if he could keep that many women a secret, he needed to be...." John Thompson began. "Congratulated..." Portis continued.

John expects respect because he won a National Championship, but his words week after week run deeper than any Championship he won.

Posted by: mbmmst | December 16, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Some how I thing Portis was serious. A couple of things he said made sense. If you don`t have the desire to run around out of you, don`t get married. As he said..he hasn`t, and is still single.
I would not call what he did having mistresses on the side. He was at a level way beyond that. I wonder when he had the time and energy to make two babies?

NOW..THIS ISSUE WITH HIM SEEING THIS CANADIAN DOC....THIS BEHAVIOR SOUNDS LIKE BARRY BONDS ON (NO PUN HERE) STEROIDS.
SOME OF HIS RECORDS MAY EVENTUALLY COME INTO QUESTION.

Bottom line...it is hard to know where all these things will lead until there is more clarity as to what he did as far as the drugs issues. His marriage is toast., as his his reputation...it seems like Tiger is the scandal that keeps on giving.
I WONDER IF HE WILL EVER COME BACK TO PROFESSIONAL GOLF IN THIS COUNTRY? I THINK A LOT OF PEOPLE..i.e.. THE PGA, AND PEOPLE WHO WORK FOR HIM AND HIS BUSINESS IN VARIOUS CAPACITIES ARE AFRAID TO BROACH THAT QUESTION.

Posted by: blazerguy234 | December 16, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

As a player, CP has been at best a huge disappointment this year. In terms of his injury, he is a multimillionaire who understands the impacts of early alzheimers and other mental issues that result from multi-concussions.

That said, I learned from REM that they can't say that they love Jesus...that would be a hollow claim. But that he did make some observations, one worth quoting today: "Judge not lest ye be judged" - what a beautiful refrain. The studio audience disagrees - have his lambs all gone astray? (New Test Leper)

I agree with Clinton's viewpoint completely. He is allowed to do what he wants to and is SMART to not give half when he is not done sowing his oats. And he admits that he is still sowing him. Refreshingly honest. Do not care whether he is on the team or not since his slary cap hit is sunk anyways. Suspect he has 1.5 productive seasons left in him - the Pats have won three superbowls with "washed up" former superstar running backs and would hate to see him delivering 1k+ yards to another team on a discount with the skins subsidizing the performance.

Whether you agree with him or not, you gotta admit, he has always been entertaining and honest.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | December 16, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Oops, no I don't agree with CP's viewpoint completely. I agree with him expressing his viewpoint and how he has chosen to not get married yet. In terms of Tiger - why is anyone surprised? Go to the hotel of any visiting team in any major sport and see what appears in the lobbies. I was a little surprised that it applied to golf as it does BB, FB and baseball. Its none of my business what Tiger or anyone on this board does in their personal lives anyway.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | December 16, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

I found nothing wrong with Portis' comments on Tiger. You might as well do those things when you are single. I am 32 and have been married for 7 years. I often think back to my single days with a smile but I sure do appreciate my wife and my kids now and where I am in my life.

Course if I was a well known athlete I may have stayed single for a little while longer!!!

Posted by: authorofpoetry | December 16, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Finally, someone said the right thing. Tiger is a 30 year old Billionaire who loves women. He is not gay. He is not a "wife beater". He is a young man who did what ALL men would do in his situation. Take advantage of all the beauty women who throw themselfs at his feet. He only had a brief encounter with many of them and ALL of them benefited from his generosity (trips, gifts, $$$). If any man on this site was a 30 year old Billionaire he would be 10 times worst than Tiger. If he says anything different he is either telling a lie or is gay. Real men would act just like Tiger whether they are married or not. And that's the TRUTH. This would not be a story if the media did not run it into the ground. There must be lots of gay men working in the media who act and think like women.

Posted by: rkornegay1 | December 16, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Clinton said it like only he can. Well done.

Posted by: jpfterps | December 16, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I (as well as the DC media and Michael Vick) will miss CP/Sheriff Gonna Getcha/Kid Bro Sweets/Coach Janky Spanky/Jerome from Southeast/etc. next year.

Posted by: emc7x | December 16, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Tempted Clinton? Who's the lucky dude? Just kidding....you are a horse.

Posted by: hz9604 | December 16, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

rkornegay1 - With all due respect, you are an idiot. Most the girls were shanks anyway.

Posted by: bal503 | December 16, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse