Cooley on Tiger and Campbell

What's that? You're wondering why I haven't transcribed any Redskins radio interviews in two days? Good question. Let me start making amends.

Chris Cooley's weekly appearances with DC 101's Elliot in the Morning are getting progressively more interesting the longer it's been since Cooley actually played. This Monday, he brought the knowledge on pro athletes womanizing, Jason Campbell's wristband, Gregg Williams's fatness and the Redskins' unluckiness. In that order:

Re: Tiger Woods womanizing: "It kills me, because I don't [womanize]....Over the last couple weeks, I've listened to a ton of stuff on TV and on the radio that everyone's saying--well, women follow professional athletes around and women throw themselves at professional athletes. This is not true. I mean, it would be better if it was I guess, but this doesn't happen to me. Women don't just beg to have sex. I think I would believe [it's easier for athletes than bank tellers], but it's also 100 times easier--and every professional athlete should know this, and every celebrity should know this--it's a million times easier to get caught. I mean, the first thing a girl does when she sleeps with Tiger Woods is go tell everyone she knows that she slept with Tiger Woods. For professional athletes in relationships, it's gonna come out."

(An even better Tiger quote was delivered by Gilbert Arenas, via the Washington Times:

"Man, I don't know why everybody's sitting around here like it's something new," Arenas exclaimed. "Tiger Woods is Tiger Woods! It's not like he looks like Seal. It's not like he's not going to have a whole bunch of women. He's Tiger Woods! I'm surprised 400 girls didn't come out. It's Tiger Woods y'all. It's Tiger Woods, man. Did you think no women were going to come out? I was expecting at least 25 by the end of this week."

Re: Jason Campbell's improvement: "Let me tell you something that I think's helping Jason out a lot. In the previous season and part of this season, we wanted Jason to be able to call all the formations and all the plays in the huddle after a few simple key words. And so we put a lot of pressure on him to know everything, as far as the play call and who goes where. There was a lot on Jason's shoulders. And when we switched the playcalling system to simplify things, we gave Jason a wristband. And so it's read to Jason as Wristband 1 or Wristband 2, and then he's able to just read it.

"And I think it's slowed down his mind, and I think he's able to function better as a quarterback, as far as not having to worry about the play, getting to the line, reading the defense, knowing what he's gonna do with the ball, instead of thinking every time so hard about getting the play into the huddle. It's not a criticism at all. It's timing on offense. Some people's minds doesn't work so fast, as far as just straight memory. Some people take a second to recognize things, and so I think this is a benefit to Jason.

"It's been obvious that he's playing better since the switch. I think that's one thing that everybody's said about the team over the last four weeks is that Jason Campbell's really starting to come on and make some good plays for us, he's looking like a true NFL quarterback, as far as being able to throw the ball anywhere and make big plays for this offense. I think that's a contributing factor to Jason doing that. I know that it was hard for him, and I know this is much, much simpler, and I think it's helping him."

Re: Gregg Williams looking like an oversized left tackle: "He looked so much bigger. Definitely agree. He was thin when he was here. I looked at his face in the newspaper [Sunday], and I thought that doesn't even look like the guy. I thought the same thing, I thought is he enormous right now? And so when I went out on the field I was checking him out. He's packed on a few pounds. He's had a lot of stress....Maybe he's a stress eater?"

Re: the Redskins: "I mean, we outplayed the New Orleans Saints, no questions asked. No one that watched the game woudln't say that. I thought we played more physical than they did. I thought we played smarter....Some of the things that happened were just unbelievable. They had to be so lucky to win that football game....

"We're good enough to beat an undefeated team. That's really frustrating for everybody involved. It's frustrating for players, it's very frustrating watching on the sidelines and saying we can beat all of these teams. We should have beat Dallas, we should have beat Philly. No questions asked we should have beat New Orleans. And so why aren't we a playoff team? Why can't we find a way to win the games we have to win and to play at the level that we're capable of instead of matching other teams?"

By Dan Steinberg  |  December 9, 2009; 3:29 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins , Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Billy Kilmer was rooting for the Saints
Next: Mike Greenberg says Nats to World Series

Comments

Nice one Gilberto!

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | December 9, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

"I mean, we outplayed the New Orleans Saints, no questions asked. No one that watched the game woudln't say that. I thought we played more physical than they did. I thought we played smarter...."

In the words of Boom, Keyshion, Coach and Crew on MNF Pregame, "C'MON MAN!"

I'll be the first to admit the Skins played a helluva game against the Saints; gave them the toughest challenge they've had all season. And as N.O. native living in DC, I've often been on the defending end of debates about the Skins, challenging so-called Skins fans about their objectivity when they say the Skins suck, because I honestly think they're no way near as bad as their own fans think they are; they have most of the necessary tools to build a powerful squad.

That said, the Skins leading the game doesn't mean they outplayed the Saints, and nor does their offense discovering they could do more than just kick field goals in the endzone. Campbell had his best day, passing for 360 yards...Brees passed for 407 yards; the Skins had 430 yards total offense...the Saints had 460 yards total offense.

The Skins played a good game, they're a good team...but the Saints WON that game because finding a way to win tough games is what GREAT teams do...

Posted by: niquelogan | December 9, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Something tells me that Gilbert Arenas won't be getting a Christmas card from Seal this year.

Posted by: dalison | December 9, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Shouldn't Gilbert steer away from commenting on celebrity athlete cheating rumors? Glass houses Gil... glass houses.

Posted by: seriesoftubescleaner | December 9, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Anyone want to tell Gilbert that Seal is married to Heidi Klum?

Posted by: RIP-21 | December 9, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

In the words of Boom, Keyshion, Coach and Crew

Posted by: niquelogan | December 9, 2009 4:17 PM

If I was forced to pick a spot where you lost me... this would probably be the spot.

Posted by: Kev29 | December 9, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, i think Seal was a bad example considering who he's married to. I would have gone with Greg Oden. Just sayin.

Posted by: ralston21 | December 9, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

---------------
You are a dope.

That game, like many games, tipped to W because of luck. Field kickers miss kicks, but the Saints had no control over Swees missing that kick. None (or barely). Yet that miss, one that the Saints winning winningism had NOTHING to do with, gave them the chance to win. Them capitalizing on it was because of goodness, but getting the chance wasn't.

How about this: There have been 23,982 offensive snaps this season and only ONE has been converted into a touchdown by the offensive team via a fumble. !!! And that 1 snap occurred in favor of the Saints.

How about this: The football field (excluding one endzone) is 5,866 sq/ft, and there have been 1,781 punts this year and only EIGHT TIMES has the ball randomly fallen from the sky on that hug chunk of turf and hit a player, resulting in a fumble. But it did happen for the Saints, against the Redskins.

So the Redskins had a 99% chance of the ball not landing a players back, and a 99% chance of the Saints not forcing a defensive TD and returning it for the score. If you bet against that and lost you would curse one thing only: Luck.

A lot of football is luck. Lots. Last year the Jets forced more fumble than the Steelers and Ravens combined. Are we to believe that last year's Jets are just better fumble forcers? No way. Pure luck. Some teams recover 90% of fumbles, some recover 20%. So one team may have 11 more possessions than another by dumb luck, and if each possession is worth 1.5 points, that's 17 extra points. Not much but I'd love to sprinkle 17 extra points randomly and luckily over the Redskins season!

Posted by: OrganicWater | December 9, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Some typos above. I was just reacting to your blind and media built belief in great teams finding ways to win.

Just like great punters find ways to make the ball bounce backwards on the one.

Posted by: OrganicWater | December 9, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

LOL yeah I was looking at big ol' GG on the Saints sidelines and thinking the same thing, what'd they do, replace him with Fat Bastard? apparently the awesome Big Easy cuisine has been agreeing with him. I'd gain 20 in that town too just from how great the food is, but he looks like he's put on 40.

Posted by: greatteamdan | December 9, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

The bog needs more Gil.

Posted by: sitruc | December 10, 2009 5:03 AM | Report abuse

Didn't Cooley leave his first wife for a former Redskins cheerleader? How did that happen?

Posted by: soccerman | December 10, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Cooley is delusional, like a lot of fans.

The Skins are NOT good enough to beat an undefeated team. The Skins played their best game -- treating like their only chance to redeem this season -- and the Saints played a lackluster game. At least the first half. And the Saints still won.

The Saints treated the Skins like a 3-8 team and they got a wakeup call: a 3-8 team can beat you if you try to sleepwalk through it.

But go watch film of the Saints play against the Patriots. Could the Skins beat THAT Saints team? No. Hell no. Blowout loss. Not even competitive.

The Skins are not one player away (or one coach, or one GM). And staying the course and hoping they get better is a loser strategy.

I understand why Cooley wants to pretend they're better than their record. Why do the fans?

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | December 10, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

OrganicWater - take my "great teams find a way to win" statement out of it and you're STILL left with the realities that a) the Saints outgained the Skins in total offense; b) Drew's passing yards well exceeded Campbell's passing yards; and c) the Saints WON the game.

You can call Suisham missing that kick "luck" -- but him missing still had the SAINTS down 7 with 1:43 left in regulation...which it turned out was WAY more time that the SAINTS offense needed to tie the game up. Was Drew Brees and Meachem making Landry pay for him biting on the doublemove luck? For that matter, was Meachem stripping Landry's INT at the end of the 2nd quarter and taking it to the house "luck?"

The Skins have a good defense, no one questions that. And the reason so many people viewed this as a trapgame for the SAINTS were because of that good defense, combined with being deflated after the NE game and the short week. But in the end, the better team WON. If the SKINS were the better team, they certainly would've found a way to hold on to a lead they held for ALL of regulation play.

What's interesting is for all my opinions, they're directed at the teams, the game...whereas you're such a sore loser you stooped to personal insults.

Lighten up...

Posted by: niquelogan | December 10, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Hunh, Gil's statement might explain a few of those "marital problems" he's had.....

Posted by: EricS2 | December 10, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

niquelogan...it was Karim Moore's INT that was fumbled and returned for a TD by Meacham, not Landry.

Posted by: jsmith33351 | December 10, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

cut the crappy blogs and concentrate on boycotting the redskins from now until snyder steps aside and gets a real gm

Posted by: bestmick1 | December 11, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse