Farewell to the Sports Machine

We'll never see anything exactly like this, or like George Michael, again. Much more on this later, but if you're of a certain age, you'll never forget that magic machine. Or those wrestling highlights.

By Dan Steinberg  |  December 24, 2009; 10:09 AM ET
Categories:  Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Top 10 D.C. sports stories of the decade
Next: George Michael, circa 1984

Comments

For years he was local sports. I didn't always agree with him and sometimes hated his biases, but always respected him and what he did for sports on television at the local and national level.

Posted by: sitruc | December 24, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for all the great "plays of the month" that you brought us over the years. Rest in peace George Michael.

Posted by: chvsr | December 24, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I watched his broadcasts all the time as a kid, because he was the only one that would show wrestling highlights. While I didn't always agree with his views and couldn't stand his play-by-play voice, he was DC sports.

RIP to the second-best DC sports broadcaster of all time, behind Glenn Brenner.

Posted by: paperboy76 | December 24, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

George Michael was the only reason to watch local sportscasters on television. The King is dead. Long live the king.

Posted by: leetee1955 | December 24, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Growing up I begged my parents to let me stay up and watch the Sports Machine. We didnt have cable and it was the only way I could see highlights of other teams besides the local teams.

I really missed him on channel 4 since he left especially the Redskins Report.

RIP George Michael, one of the best to do it.

Posted by: DMoney28 | December 24, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I got hooked on the Sports Machine long before I moved to the area, so it was a real treat to find out that the kind of highlights I'd been watching on Sunday nights were available every night. Yeah, he was an unabashed homer, but he also made sure that a lot of "smaller" sports that the other stations didn't cover got exposure both on the 6pm news and on the Machine, and that was a big deal. My condolences to his family - what an awful time for this to happen.

Posted by: hannnah | December 24, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I most definitely snuck a 2 inch handheld black n white TV into my bedroom on Sunday nights to watch this show. Also, my parents bathroom had a phone near the toilet, so I'd take 20 minute "sessions" checking my stats on the call in sports machine, at one point, one of the best ways to get results on games. RIP GM. And thank you for paving the way for todays highlight shows.

Posted by: SkinsFanInNYC | December 24, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

He loved his NASCAR, WWF, and rodeos, hannnah. I don't think he loved many "smaller" sports though.

Posted by: sitruc | December 24, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

This is terrible news. He was a great man, and as far as I am concerned, he was as much a part of the Redskins as any player to don a uniform. I will certainly miss him. My prayers go out to his family and friends.

Posted by: MillBurray | December 24, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Dog races. Awesome.

Glenn Brenner #1. GM #2. Smilovitz #3. Warner Wolf #4. JB #5.

Of course..."The Zog" beats them all.

RIP GM.

Posted by: Bebunk | December 24, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Oh those wrestling hightlights. Mr. Michaels was one of a kind. Even at age 40, it seems like just yesterday I was sitting on my bed waiting for Jim Vance to hand the show over to George. RIP.

Posted by: Cmart1 | December 24, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

What Friday Night Videos was to MTV, the Sports Machine was (for me) to ESPN. The best video highlights for national sports events from all types of sports, before the big four-letter came to be.

Plus, I loved the local sports panel shows he did for the Skins and the Wiz.

We'll miss you George, RIP.

Posted by: ts35 | December 24, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

RIP George. He was the only sportscaster that I would find a way to watch. Loyal to the area and to his employees when NBC was cutting back.

George Michael was Washington sports, just like Gibbs, the Hogs, Olie the Goalie, and so many of our great athletes and coaches.

RIP.

Posted by: Section104 | December 24, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I worked for Uncle Sam in D.C. from 1985 until my retirement in 1995. During those years I had the distinct pleasure of watching George and the rest of the genuine professionals at WRC. Having lived in a number of locations around the country, I really appreciated George's style and energetic reporting. We will never see his like again. I am greatly saddened at his passing. May his family find comfort and solace at this time.

Posted by: jondalar88 | December 24, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse