Fletcher on Pro Bowl Snubs: "Mind-boggling"

View more news videos at: http://www.nbcwashington.com/video.

After London Fletcher missed the Pro Bowl yet again last year, he lashed out in public, providing a rare example of a humble, team-first, captain-type dude going all "Check my paperwork!!!" on the world. Fletcher called the snub "BS," referred to himself as "the Susan Lucci of the NFL," and didn't stop there.

"My career has been Hall of Fame worthy," Fletcher said then. "But some coaches and some players get caught up in the hype reading the newspapers or listening to some national TV game as opposed to watching the game with no sound....I put myself up against anybody playing the position, anybody."

Fletcher has been mostly quiet on the subject this year, letting Greg Blache and Mike Martz and Matt Mosley and Matt Bowen and Peter King and Matt Terl make the case for him. But in a recent lunch interview with NBC Washington's Lindsay Czarniak, Fletcher made some brief comments on the topic when asked if he thought this would be the year.

"I don't know. You know, it's been so--let me see, how do I want to describe this?--head-scratching," Fletcher said. "You know, mind-boggling that I have not made it. So it's kind of one of those things where I've deserved to go so many times before, in the past, that [long sigh]. It's just one of those things.

Anyhow, by the end of the segment, Fletcher was saying the stuff that a humble, team-first, captain-type dude usually says.

"I deal with more a mentality of let me go out and play this game to the best of my abilities, and whatever happens, happens," Fletcher said. "In a sense I'm not limiting what I'm trying to accomplish. It's not about making the Pro Bowl, making as much money as I can make, things like that."

As a postscript, the NFL Network will feature Fletcher and his lack of Pro Bowls during NFL Films Presents: Tough Guys this Friday at 1 p.m. Also, here's where you can vote for Fletcher for the Pro Bowl.

By Dan Steinberg  |  December 16, 2009; 2:47 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Faces of Zorn: The Salad Tongs
Next: Joe Theismann's starring role in The Blind Side

Comments

Fletcher is DA MAN!!!

Posted by: charley42 | December 16, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Who CARES? SKINS SUCK!!!!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 16, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Here's the youtube video in HD of Fletcher's amazing hit on Brandon Jacobs

Posted by: nativedc | December 16, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

At least somewhere, Fletcher gets his just awards: http://www.csnwashington.com/12/16/09/Redskins-Notes-1216--Accolades-for-Fletc/landing_09.html?blockID=104218&feedID=287

Posted by: thedude1 | December 16, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Fletcher would start on any team in the NFL. That's saying a lot right there.

I don't take what he's saying as selfish at all. You always want to be the best at your craft, and when you are and other people get accolades that you do not then it does wear on you after a while.

In the NFL you have to be crack head like Michael Irvin to get yourself noticed. If you're quiet like Art Monk and are the consumate professional you constantly get overlooked.

Fletcher is the consumate professional, but he may never make the HOF because he's a good guy.

This is why I never liked that stuff, it's just a "popularity contest."

London is the man...period.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 16, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

LF deserves the Pro bowl. Maybe his name London is holding hm back, maybe if we rechristen him "mad dog" that would help.

Posted by: Bowerguy1 | December 16, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

I put my vote in for Fletch. He's one of the few guys on this team who's earned it.

Posted by: ericenderle | December 16, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse