Haynesworth: "They're gonna remember the Redskins"

(By John McDonnell - TWP)

With the clock running down and the Redskins driving to go ahead of the undefeated Saints by two possessions, some of the burgundy and gold types stood and cheered on the muddy sidelines. Albert Haynesworth didn't join them.

"I didn't say anything, because you don't know what could happen in three minutes, so I was just silent and tried to keep playing my game," he said. "You don't start cheering until that clock has hit zero....I've been in this game a long time, and I know things can happen. And so that's what I didn't cheer or anything like that. I don't fault anybody for anything. They were just showing their emotion."

After that drive ended in a botched chip shot, and after the Saints scored, and then recovered a fumble in overtime, a lot of Redskins were left to reflect on the bizarre nature of their loss. Someone asked Haynesworth whether he had been a part of a similarly wacky loss in his career; "not really," he said.

"And hopefully it don't ever happen again," he added, "because I don't think I can take that much."

Some Redskins were also saying the better team on this day hadn't won, but on that point Haynesworth disagreed, saying the Saints showed "why they're 12-0 now." Still, he had some positive words about Washington's performance.

"We played pretty good," he said. "We went toe to toe with I guess the best team in the NFL, and I guess we lost by a decision. I won't say it's a knockout, but a decision. I mean, I think they're gonna remember the Redskins. They're not gonna think this is no cakewalk. I heard people say, 'Oh, as long as y'all keep it close it'll be a morale victory,' but I don't think about it that way. A victory is we winning, not keeping it close....

"This team has heart and this team's gonna continue to fight. I mean, you can honestly say that we're not in the playoff hunt, not gonna make the playoffs or anything, so we're just playing for ourselves. And for us to go out there and to keep fighting no matter what, I mean, that shows a great deal of character."

Haynesworth was also asked whether this loss hurt worse than some of the other recent heartbreakers.

"It's tough, but all of 'em are tough, you know?" he said. "I guess it hurts a little worse, because they're the best team in the NFL, and we had 'em, and then we let 'em go."

By Dan Steinberg  |  December 6, 2009; 6:36 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Local pillows and pith
Next: Albright blames himself

Comments

Me Talk Pretty One Day

Posted by: Kev29 | December 6, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Well Albert its just football just like you say, but if the NFL is going to make there game look legit then they need to have replay coordinators who are professional enough to call what they see. The replay before half clearly showed the ball hit the ground on #41 and should have been an incomplete pass. The second showed Sellers elbow hit the ground with his other hand holding the ball. Also if the ref says all replays in OT will be called from the booth. How can a replay be called for when another team calls a timeout prior to the start of the next play when there was no intention to call for a replay and then they give that team a reversal on their called timeout because of a booth review? That doesn't even count the Saint's dropped pass that was called a completion down near the Redskins goalline which was never reviewed. The Redskins were playing more than the Saints today. Zorn should scorn the NFL with film from this game and the OT rule needs changed. BTW- Suisham needs the booth too.

Posted by: kermiepop | December 6, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, thanks for that wisdom, Fat Albert. And thanks for giving the Saints an extra timeout on that last drive, too. The way you went down, I thought you had an achilles rupture or something. But no, you're back out there a couple of plays later -- so it's clear it was just the usual Haynesworth "me too tired" injury...

I guess that's what $100 mill buys you these days -- a guy who gives the opponent extra timeouts at a critical time in the game...

Posted by: gr8day4bsbll | December 6, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

We really need to get Haynesworth on the Atlantic 11. He's a pith monster.

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | December 6, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

So was "Hey-Hey-Haynesworth" just taking a nap there to stop the clock for the Saints? He certainly didn't seem that hurt when he finally made it to his feet.

Posted by: tegularius | December 6, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

When he was down and stopped the clock for the Saints with his "injury," I knew he would be back in the game and that he may have cost the team.

Posted by: sitruc | December 7, 2009 12:25 AM | Report abuse

FWIW, he was a waste of space after that "injury." I wondered if Campbell was hurt more on that low, late hit the passing play before his interception. He could barely walk and then couldn't move his feet or plant when he threw the pick.

Posted by: sitruc | December 7, 2009 12:27 AM | Report abuse

Is this guy serious? I have never heard someone talk like they're so passionate about the game and then show an absolute LACK of heart under 2 minutes. I don't know if they showed this on TV but he stood up and walked off the field after falling like his career was over. Nothing new, back in the game 2 plays later. ZERO heart.

Posted by: jtheisman | December 7, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse