Is the Burgundy Revolution over?

The were three main complaints bandied about by the Burgundy Revolutionaries back in the heady days of October. To summarize

1) Daniel M. Snyder

2) Vinny Cerrato

3) A terrible, soul-sucking game-day experience.

The first item, we all knew, was not going to change. The second item has now been eliminated, replaced by someone with a historic last name and the words "general manager" in his title. And the last? As I wrote earlier on Thursday morning, the club is reaching out to season-ticket holders to ask them how they can get better.

"We're trying to find out the best way to try to improve the fan experience on game days," a Redskins spokesman told me.

So what's left?

"If only there was a statue of Cerrato we could yank down," the Examiner's Mark Newgent suggested, which is a fair point. But, absent a new dose of perceived meddling from Snyder, it's hard to tick off too many perceived grievances. And so I ask, is the Burgundy Revolution officially over?

By Dan Steinberg  |  December 17, 2009; 11:25 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Remembering Vinny Cerrato
Next: Beathard: "It's a terrific move"

Comments

Probably over for now. Until Danny screws something else up -- which is inevitable. People have a short attention span and really, really WANT to be able to love the team.

Posted by: bethesdaguy | December 17, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

It will not be over until all tyranny has been removed from Redskins park, or Danny get's a lobotomy and moves to France.

Posted by: Leeguru | December 17, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I think, given the concessions made from the other side, we can negotiate a stable non-agression pact for now. A demilitarized zone will be establish in the areas surrounding ashburn and fedex field

Posted by: jbanks979 | December 17, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

zorn has to go

Posted by: DLESMonday | December 17, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Truth be told, the Burgundy Revolution hit its nadir with the sign ban. Reversing it generated more good will than it should have, but I think I personally went from feeling embarrassed to support this team back to being a disappointed fan. Comparing the Burgundy Revolution to the fall of the Iron Curtain, you can consider the period from the end of the sign ban to yesterday as analogous to Gorbachev's ascension and glastnost/perestroika. Today, we're dancing on top of the Berlin Wall.

But of course, if Danny still meddles and doesn't let Allen do his job free of interference, the Revolution will be back on and stronger than ever.

I would have loved to see Morocco Brown get a shot, but I don't know if he had the kind of gravitas to tell Danny no

Posted by: DocHolliday1906 | December 17, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Nothing is over until the scoreboards at FedEx are upgraded.

Posted by: ChampKind | December 17, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

The Revolution will continue, comrades, until the Redskins resume playing their home games in the District of Columbia. We must never rest until that happy time.

Hail to the Revolution!

And so on...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 17, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I've felt all along the real problem is (and will continue to be) Snyder. He is the one that wrecked this franchise -- Cerratto is just the fall guy.

Posted by: dbunkr | December 17, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

"Sort of" needs to be a response. We have to see how Danny treats The Bruce.

Posted by: jpfterps | December 17, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Winning cures all ills. Revolution not over till we start winning.

Posted by: kenobill | December 17, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

If I may wax historical, Caleb Carr argues that Eisenhower's tentative approach to the supply lines of advancing troops delayed VE day in World War II by more than another year. We should not repeat his mistake, pushing on even harder now. Ticket-holders should insist that the gameday experience improve or else they will no re-up their tix. All fans should insist football operations are handled by the GM and GM only. Danny can buy a mansion on Elba Island and watch games on NFL ticket.

Posted by: minorthread | December 17, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Dan: You have to answer for Zorn, Vinny. You fingered Jim for the Dallas people.

Vinny: Mr. Snyder, you got it all wrong.

Dan Ah, that little farce you played with Sherm Lewis. You think that would fool a Snyder?

Vinny: Dan, I'm innocent. I swear on Gibbs.

Dan: Sit down.

Vinny: Please don't do this to me, Dan. Please don't.

Dan: The Cowboys are choking. So are Giants and the Eagles don't stand a chance in the playoffs. Today I settled all family business so don't tell me that you're innocent. Admit what you did.

[Vinny starts sobbing]

Dan: Get him a drink. Don't be afraid, Vinny. Come on, you think I'd make your wife a widow? I'm Godfather to your son.

[Vinny gets handed a drink]

Dan: Go ahead. Drink. Drink. No, you're out of the family business, that's your punishment. You're finished. I'm putting you on a plane to Conneticut, to ESPN. BAN?

[BAN hands Dan an airplane ticket]

Dan: I want you to stay there, you understand?

[Vinny nods]

Dan: Only don't tell me that you're innocent. Because it insults my intelligence and it makes me very angry. Now, who approached you first? Jones or Mara?

Vinny: It was Jones.

Dan: Good. There's a car outside that will take you to the airport. I'll call your wife and tell her what flight you're on.

Vinny: Listen, Dan...

Dan: Go on. Get out of my sight.

[Vinny gets escourted out of the room]

Dan: Bring in Bruce

[Bruce walks in and kisses the ring, and the doors shut]

Posted by: Hondo5 | December 17, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Two things have to happen for a possible end to the revolution to even be considered:

1. Some kind of proof that Bruce Allen actually has control of football operation and that Dan stil isn't making the decisions.

2. Dan Snyder actually speaks, either in a lengthy press conference or in a serious interview with someone that doesn't have the last name "Michael," in which he explains his role with the team in the past and going forward, talks about things like the sign ban and the selling of tickets to brokers/suing ticketholders fiasco and answers the many other questions about his stewardship of the team that he never answers.

Posted by: TheFingerman | December 17, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

There is only one explanation for what happened at the end of the New Orleans game.

The team is cursed. Cursed by Mr. Cooke from beyond the grave. He may be appeased by this sacrifice; I hope so. But only time will tell. If we beat Dallas then, perhaps, we can lay down the torches and pitchforks.

But keep them ready I say

Posted by: bill16 | December 17, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I said it when Channel 7 interviewed me and I'll say it again. This is a step, albeit a HUGE one. Now, let's see how things shake down. Will ownership step back and let Allen do his job? Has Danny really learned his lesson and realize he needs to leave the on-field decisions up to the football execs? If he really wants to impress me, I'd like to see him now reach out more to the fans by making the game-day experience a better one and maybe even lowering some of his prices on parking, tickets and concessions. It's all part of the process.

Vive la revolucion!

Posted by: stwasm | December 17, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

It's over inasmuch as it never really started. It was a revolution that would've dissipated with an 8-8 season. These fans never wanted to revolt. They just didn't want the team to be revolting.

Allen will placate the dissidents for now. There is atonement for this season's failures. Next season, they need only flirt with mediocrity.

Posted by: JohninMpls | December 17, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Viva la revolucion :-)

Posted by: mb15 | December 17, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Vinny is gone. Most of the heartburn goes with him.

However, FedEx needs an overhaul ... at a minimum, new state-of-the art monitors at eac end of the stadium. No more postage stamp replays. No more 1980s graphics.

Posted by: AWWNats | December 17, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

It's not about Vinny in a vacuum. We'll see if $nyder is intent on building a winner or intent on selling real fake pro bowler jerseys.

This Revolution is mostly about the sh!tty game day experience. THat part has not been solved.

Posted by: VeloStrummer | December 17, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

There needs to be a poll option for "Not Yet" or "We'll Wait and See."

Definitely today has brought the most positive move that the Redskins have made in a long, long time. If Snyder can keep his nose out of the offseason moves and let Allen run the team, then it's all good.

If not...we're right back where we started from.

Posted by: js_edit | December 17, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

There needs to be a poll option for "Not Yet" or "We'll Wait and See."

If not...we're right back where we started from.

Posted by: js_edit | December 17, 2009 6:21 PM

this is why I voted NO, it is not over.

we'll take a wait and see approach. the problem is the Danny, not his henchmen. so we'll just wait and see if the Danny can keep his mitts off the baking.

Posted by: greatteamdan | December 17, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

One down (Fire Vinny)
One to go ($nyder $ell the $kin$)

Loyal Redskin fan. I bought my Riggo Jersey last week from an Internet knock-off company - cheaper than the Redskin Store, and no money in Mr. $nyder'$ pocket$. He can change my mind:

Let Mr. Allen run the team (starting with picking a coach, who can then pick his own staff). Free tix for the grandma you sued. Invite the soldier's wife whose sign you trashed into the owner's box and get that sign on national TV and visible to the Armed Forces. Build a bridge over the creek between the Gray Lot and the stadium, pave the Gray Lot, and run a shuttle from the Metro to the stadium. And for God's sake, stop blaring commercials between plays. Let people cheer or heckle, based on how the team is playing. We all know where Johnny Rockets is, no need to remind us between plays.

Posted by: jburnetti | December 17, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

"I'm terrible. I'm just plain terrible, but now I'm OUT of the WAY, I promise!"

Danny -- SAY IT! SAY IT!

Posted by: kls1 | December 17, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Yes it's better than not firing Cerrato, but I certainly haven't heard anything that says Snyder is out of the business of running this football team. In fact, I would speculate Dan covets an Al Davis type of role. Control is everything with this guy.

Viva la Revolucion!