Jacobs: "I'm not scared of anybody"

In the Giants' locker room after the team had pummeled the Redskins Monday night, the New York media was talking a lot about the team's "fight." They meant it in terms of "spirit" and "toughness" and all that stuff, but of course, they also meant it in terms of "your starting running back throwing some blows."

Early in the fourth quarter, Brandon Jacobs got into a scuffle with DeAngelo Hall. The running back threw Hall to the ground, and then appeared to throw at least one punch.

"I run over there, thought the play was still going, wasn't blown dead," Hall said, via my colleague Rick Maese. "I stopped. I get hands put on my face. I got [shoved]. If the refs can't see that, there ain't nothing I can do about that. Just my luck."

"I didn't throw a punch," Jacobs said, when asked point-blank whether he did. "I got jumped. I got jumped by two guys. I tried to get out of there, but one had me and one was hitting me. But it is what it is. I guess those guys [are teammates], and they worked together."

Indeed, Albert Haynesworth came running to aid Hall, and eventually got flagged for a 15-yard penalty. Haynesworth was the only player penalized. It was reminiscent of the scene in Atlanta, where DeAngelo Hall got into it with some Falcons on the sideline, and eventually Haynesworth arrived and was flagged.

"I just saw D-Hall getting like thrown down or something like that," Haynesworth explained, via my colleague Barry Svrluga. "I just ran over there and started pushing players off of him. I mean, if they want to give me a penalty, that's fine. If they want to fine me, fine. Whatever. But I'm going to stick up for my teammates and I'm not going to let them get double-teamed. I told Brandon...at the two-minute [warning] that it wasn't nothing personal, but I just saw my teammate getting jumped over there, so I'm going to help him."

I asked Jacobs whether he had a history with either player; "No," he said. "People always want to fight me, though."

And I pointed out that Haynesworth is kind of a big dude.

"Huge dude," Jacobs agreed. "I'm not scared of anybody. Nobody. You put your pants on the right way, same way I do. You bleed like I do, you stand over the toilet and you [urinate] like I do. I'm not scared of anybody. At all."

A New York reporter then asked if this showed that the Giants wouldn't back down.

"I don't back down from anybody," Jacobs said. "But I really want to talk about our great W we just had and not that situation....I don't think that was reflective [of the Giants' effort]. Things like that isn't supposed to happen. You have guys that have a lot of emotion going around, and things happen. No, they don't want to do what they did, and I didn't really want to be in that tussle with them, but it is what it is and you've got to protect yourself. It's against the rules to do things like that, but you've got to protect yourself, and I'll take the fine any time of the day when I've got to protect myself. That's just what it is. You protect yourself."

As for the penalty, Haynesworth suggested he wasn't surprised.

"You know what?" he told reporters. "I'm labeled as that guy, so they want to fine me or penalize me, so whatever."

"Just look at the screen," Hall told reporters. "Look at the screen, see what happened. I don't know what they were looking at during the play. Obviously when Albert came over there, he did move the crowd a little bit, but even before all of that took place, I'm standing there basically trying to defense myself. If they can't see that, man, plain as day, I can't see it for them. That's all I was trying to get through to them, just look. Look at what happened. Look at what took place. But that didn't decide the game. They came out and kicked our butts."

By Dan Steinberg  |  December 22, 2009; 12:54 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Local Poll Week V: ODU Again?
Next: Jacobs: "We took the stadium over"

Comments

Brandon Jacobs is a LIAR and a PUNK...I really want to see him get his comeuppance.

Posted by: jdwilliams | December 22, 2009 1:41 AM | Report abuse

Albert Not My Money's Worth is a schmuck.

Kudos for throwing punches, though.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | December 22, 2009 2:31 AM | Report abuse

Jacobs tries to take Hall's head off by his facemask, throws him to the ground, and then starts throwing bows... and Haynesworth is flagged? If you penalize Haynesworth, that's fine. But to let Jacobs off scot free when he clearly should have been ejected? What a joke. Those officials should be fired for being either blind, incompetent, or crooked.

Haynesworth might be overpaid, but at least he sticks up for his teammates. One of the handful of guys they should keep to build around next year IMO.

Posted by: jrchris | December 22, 2009 3:33 AM | Report abuse

Reading this post confirmed everything I needed to know about Jacobs. Jacobs was looking for a fight on that play. The play was whistled dead, but he continued to play as Manning did when he pitched him the ball. Then Hall forced the fumble. Instead of going for the ball, Jacobs was engaging Hall who at that point was trying to get to the ball. Although disgusting, it wasn't a surprise that once again there was only a personal foul on Haynesworth. Now I'm just waiting for Hall to inevitably receive bad press for being a talker when the story once again is officiating and the opposition. Of course none of this matters and had no part in deciding the worst Redskins game I've ever seen. That game was the combination of complete and total domination by the Giants and the incompetence of the Skins on and off the field.

Posted by: sitruc | December 22, 2009 3:33 AM | Report abuse

Brandon Jacobs is a liar and a punk.He grabbed Halls facemask and threw him to the ground. He threw more than several punches and you can see a refree looking right at him and they call Haynesworth for a penalty. Jacobs wasn't the only Giant throwing punches I saw at least one other player hitting Haynesworth from behind. This is the kind of player Jacobs is, a punk! Can't tell the truth, watch the replay punk. The officials should be fined as well for not taking the proper action. Jacobs should have been thrown from the game. What a Joke! I guess if you are the team losing and don't have a chance to go anywhere the refs look the other way. Get Real. How could the sideline official miss what Jacobs did? Just didn't want to pull the flag on a brother!

Posted by: DSBJB1244 | December 22, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Jacobs is a fake b!tch. He's going to get slapped in his mouth like the deserving b!tch he is!

Posted by: millineumman | December 22, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Well, if it makes you guys feel any better I have heard from good sources that Brandon Jacobs' Super Bowl ring fits a bit tight-that'll show him, must be so uncomfortable.

Posted by: fxsnyc | December 22, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

So Fat Albert didnt care about taking a penalty? What a D bag! It was after a third down play that would have forced the Giants to punt after we had finally gotten some momentum. Hey, I guess you gotta keep it real... REAL DUMB

Posted by: WheresRickySanders | December 22, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Just like in the Atlanta game, Coach "nice guy" Jim Zorn did nothing to defend his players on the field. Such is the state of the Redskins now. When you are losing, even the refs have a blind eye to the injustice that is being done to you at times. Here you have a coach, who could have shown some life, some zist, some hooplah, some emotion or whatever, to at least fire up his team, or go out (since he knows he is being canned anyway after the season) with some fired up energy during the fight with the Giants RB and Hall, he completely and utterly missed the chance.
Perhaps that was the source of the heated discussion b/w Hall and JZ at one point on the sideline last night.
I understand Jim Zorn was put in a bad situation with this organization from the get go considering he didn't seek the HC position to begin with and got it by default b/c no one else wanted it. But much like with punching bag Norv Turner, I hope he learned his lesson for his next position in the NFL, which I can't see being a HC position ever again. There is no question JZ was mistreated by the Skins organization, but for heaven's sake man, show some guts. These last couple of weeks you have been more than stepped on and you did NOTHING, and you expect your players to fight for you?

Posted by: JeanJak | December 22, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

In a game as brutal as football, where you ask your players to fight for every inch, to take a punch while throwing one as well, one get a feeling that Jim Zorn would take more than a few punches and still not throw one back. Jim Zorn may be a nice guy and I wish him nothing but the best to him and his family, but the guy should not be a Head Coach in the NFL. At one point or another, no matter how right or wrong your players are, you have to show some emotion, something to say to them you are willing to defend them, and you expect them to do the same for you.

Posted by: JeanJak | December 22, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

JZ can learn a thing or two from the Falcons HC who punched Hall in Atlanta. No matter how wrong you think the Falcon's HC is, but I bet you he send a message to his players.
Is it any wonder also, that JZ's QB, Jason Campbell, is a nice guy like JZ who also has his fare share of critics for not showing any kind of emotion whatsoever? The guy seems to have a permanent clueless look on his face. One always get the feeling that JC is a kid whose self confidence waivers on the fragile state. Is it any wonder then that the many coaches he has had so far in his NFL career seem to treat him with fragile hands with their over conservative play-calling?!
No one is asking him to pull a Favre who could undermine the coach with his antics, but dude show some emotion man. After getting sack more than a few times, he would earn my respect and those of the fans if he would simply get up and start yelling. If you are worried that your strong disapproval would affect the confidence of those young linemen around you who too have been put in a bad situation where they are unprepared for the task, then YELL at the air, at the football or something but within ear shots of your teammates and the coaches. At some point you have to show some emotion as a leader to spark some kind of a response, and God knows you earn your disaproval by staying back there with a huge target on your belly.
The Skins under JZ and JC are LIFELESS and too NICE. Teams have been punching the Redskins left and right lately, and sometime with the implicit approval of the Refs on the field who seems to be turning their cheeks at the right moment, and neither the coach or the over-sack QB seems to do anything about it, and these are our leaders?!
That is the legacy of the Redskins under the Cerrato / Jim Zorn / Jason Campbell era that quite frankly makes me hate being a Redskins fan. We have become a punching bag in this brutal league mostly because our leaders are being stepped on litterally and figuratively and nothing is being done about it.

Posted by: JeanJak | December 22, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

And my final point is that I hope the new GM Allen learns that the Giants are the "creme de la creme" of this division and should do everything to aspire to beat them. GM Beathard and Joe Gibbs 1 knew it back in the 80s and Joe Gibbs 2 knew it the second time around.
The butt whooping Joe Gibbs got from the Giants in 2005 after losing 35-0 to them opened his eyes to how much work the Skins needed to get back to being a contender in their division again.
Everything that the Skins did in the 80s was to compete against the Giants aggressive Defense, and to penetrate their huge O-line. The Tuna and the Giants back then was Gibbs arch rival.
Nothing has changed much in the 20 years since as the Skins still have trouble competing against the Giants.
Our measuring stick should not be the Cowgirls or the Eagles, but the Giants. We need an O-line to stop their top notch D-line and a few DTs to stop their RBs who always, and I do mean always (Ask Tikki Barber for example who probably solidify his spot in the Hall of Fame based on his performances against the Skins alone) seem to have a field day against the Skins. I bet Jacobs who threw a few punches at us last night can't wait to play the Skins again because he knows he can bully us around.
I don't know much about football but I do know if you can't stop the other team's running back from running the ball all over you or with the screen play which the Skins are unable to stop no matter how much they know it is coming, that will open up a lot of space for any WRs to have a field day no matter how average they are.
Finally, we also need a Safety because if our best safety is a guy who can't drop back to cover the passing, especially if he keeps getting beaten on the same play over and over again, then we are in deep trouble for years to come.
So for you Redskins fans who thinks the Cowgirls are the team to beat in the Division, I beg to disagree. It is the Giants to me that will determine how good or sorry we are as a team.

Posted by: JeanJak | December 22, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

JeanJak I feel your pain, and I'm a Giants fan. That's how we feel about Philly.

Posted by: star_nyg | December 22, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Albert Haynesworthless....of all the wasted FA moves the Skins have made, this is the biggest. With the Skins in goal line defense trying to prevent the Giants from scoring and killing any Skins momentum, Haynesworthless is on the sideline puking his guts up. How many times have we seen him on the sideline in critical situations? Let's look at how the defense did without him and D Hall the last few weeks vs. how the defense performed on Monday night. The proof is on the field. Same with the offense.... better with Portis and Cooley out.

Posted by: Monk81_Green28 | December 22, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

This looked like typical Giants Redskins, JC taking late hits over and over. Then with his team winning easily Jacobs is going to come to blows with D-Hall? Really, he's the guy you're going to fight? 180 vs 260 gee you are a real man. Of course there was an official watching him throw blows, but its OK the Giants don't get penalized when they play the Redskins. Who was the O-Line guy from the Giants who slammed D-Hall while Jacobs had his facemask?

Posted by: tomdurocher | December 22, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

First of all, who was surprised that Hall was in the middle of a dust-up? Second, Jacobs is flat out lying about throwing a punch. Third, Haynesworth stood up for a teammate, even one in the wrong. No blame on him.

But main thing, I agree with what someone above posted: if Zorn isn't going to fight for his players, why should they fight for him? I think they were fighting for him over the past five games, but they quit last night, and who can really blame them?

Posted by: gbooksdc | December 22, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Albert Haynesworth had two options:

1 - Let Jacobs continue to punch Hall for no reason
2 - Stick up for his teammate

As a Redskins fan, I'm proud of Big Al for getting involved.

I just don't understand how the officials would only throw one flag. Should have been a flag to each team with offsetting penalties, and possibly a couple of ejections too.

Posted by: DCUMD | December 22, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

This L isn't on Haynesworth and its good to see him come to the defense of a dude half the size of Jacobs. Carter and Orakapo lighting up QB's this year is because of Albert. There are plenty of things wrong with this team, but having a dude with some nastiness in him like Albert ain't one of them.

Posted by: lavar609 | December 22, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Once again, NFL officials, the worst group in pro sports. When will the investigation begin on them?

Jacobs is a liar. Period. Next year, when a REAL Redskin's team re-emerges, Jacobs will be shown to be the fraud that he is.

One of the first items on Bruce Allen's agenda should be to get Big Al into his office, close the door, and tell Big Al, "You had better show up to camp in better shape than anyone else", otherwise, we will sue you for breach of contract, pay you nothing, and make sure you do not play in the NFL again. Verstehen?

Next, bring #17 in and say, "You've earned your stripes. We want you to be a Redskin".

Posted by: AWWNats | December 22, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Fat scumbag Albert deserves every dollar of the fine that will be levied against him. D Hall is the biggest dbag in sports and needs to be let go. If the Skins have any class whatsoever they'll get rid of these two low-lifes. Good riddance.

Posted by: PiccoloKu | December 22, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Brandon Jacobs would not have been physically able to finish this game after that punk cheap shot if Sean Taylor were still around. I have a feeling this will not go unremembered next year.

Posted by: csw2005 | December 22, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse