Lasting, disturbing 'MNF' Redskins images

A few lasting images from Monday Night Football to give you holiday heartburn and possibly incurable brain burn. Viewer discretion advised.

Haynesworth hunched over

During the Giants' first drive, Albert Haynesworth found his way to the sidelines, and then hunched over, like so, with a trainer's hand on his shoulder. The camera quickly cut away. Who knows what he was up to? Possibly drawing up some defensive formations in the dirt. But you always get worried by this particular sort of hunch, if you're the sort that is averse to certain bodily fluids.

Zorn's stare of misery

There's this one look that Jim Zorn always seems to get when things go poorly for his team. These are taken from three very different points in the game, but all were bad points. I mean, I guess the whole game was a bad point, but these followed very specific bad things.

The Zorn look does not inspire fire-breathing confidence, to me, anyhow. It's more a look of "man, I wish I was home drinking hot chocolate in front of a roaring fire and reading that new Daniel Silva novel."

Speaking of hot chocolate, here's the best postgame e-mail I received, from Reader Dan:

I went to my first game at FedEx tonite. And while the experience was all I expected (that scoreboard is pathetic...terrible leaving stadium parking lot...not one traffic cop in sight)---by far the strangest part of the night was after waiting for hot chocolate for 15 minutes on line, then ordering it, and then waiting another 10 minutes since they ran out. [Eventually] I was given a cup of hot water and a Swiss Miss packet. I actually had to make it myself. I don't really ask for much from my stadium concessions, but this was a new one.

LaRon Landry tackles

Look! There's a guy holding the football! I'm going to run toward him!

What's that one saying about objects in motion wanting to remain in motion, or whatever?

Eh, might as well tackle this guy 10 yards deep on the sideline wearing a bright orange vest.

Bruce Allen was a wholesome young man

Look how wholesome. He's the one on the far right.

Bruce Allen was...doing something

During one shot of the coach's box, the team's new general manager kept putting this cup up to his mouth, but he never really made a drinking motion. Just kind of put that cup to his lips.

Also, hi Sherm!

An ogre showed up

Via @cainomac on Twitter come three photos of an ogre who showed up in the stands Monday night. The team appreciates your support, sir.

By Dan Steinberg  |  December 26, 2009; 8:45 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Christmas images, D.C. sports version
Next: Sunday Night Football does the Caps

Comments

I didn't see this so I can only speculate on what you've presented here, but I've seen people make those particular motions to express the juice from chewing tobacco into a cup or other receptacle. Filthy habit, though some people seem to like it.

Bruce Allen: smokeless tobacco user?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 26, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

It appears to me that Bruce Allen also did not get the hot chocolate he desired, and so he was pretending to drink hot chocolate to fool Reader Dan into thinking he was the only one inconvenienced.

Posted by: Hokienautic | December 26, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

yep. he's spitting. EXTREMELY common in the Air Force ICBM business. At least among maintainers.

Posted by: TheSuperhoo | December 26, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Do you have to print photos of the last dork? It just encourages that kind of awful behavior.

Posted by: charley42 | December 26, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Um, has noone held a cup of coffee or hot chocolate close to their mouths to blow on it, to cool it down???

Guys p*** on the sidelines all the time, too.

And, Zorn didnt have those faces as much until the last few games where he knows he has no authority, is going to be fired and his players quit on him.

What about when Zorn had a heated exchange with Portis last year?

I like you, Steinberg, but this stuff is just piling on and puerile

Posted by: kreator6996 | December 27, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Allen obviously has a spit cup; he's just like his brother -- a rich pampered guy who likes to act like he's a redneck. He probably drives a $60K pick up truck that he never washes, too.

Most people's mouths aren't actually touching the cup -- like his is -- when they're trying to cool off a hot liquid, as, you know, the cup would be hot too. Try not to be so condescending, I know you fancy yourself a "kreator" and all...

Posted by: mike8 | December 27, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

I wasn't impressed when I saw his draft picks, but if Bruce dips, he can't be all bad... Assuming that it's Copenhagen and not wintergreen Skoal pouches.

Posted by: jrchris | December 28, 2009 12:53 AM | Report abuse

Dipping is soooo Real Virginia

Posted by: Kev29 | December 28, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I, too, saw the TV images of Bruce Allen and the cup. Looked like he was spitting (tobacco) instead of sipping. It must be a family tradition. His politician brother also was known for placing a pinch between his cheek and gums.

Posted by: MrMerkin | December 28, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse