Mike Williams discusses Campbell's lips

Since every Jason Campbell post in these parts lately has been of the "Good!, No, Bad! No, Medium!" variety, let's change things by writing yet again about his lips.

Yes, you remember how teammates have had fun discussing Campbell's lips for lo so many years, right? Now two of the newest, and largest Redskins have jumped in on the act. This all comes from a Comcast SportsNet outtake that really should be seen in its entirety. But because I'm not allowed to use video from Redskins Park, I'll have to provide a transcript.

The back story: During Campbell's weekly appearance before the Eagles game, Mike Williams walked into the camera shot and lifted Campbell like he was picking up a small crumb of cheese curd. Cue next week's interview, when Williams again entered the frame. After some initial jostling, Campbell said they were supposed to have a truce, in which they had agreed to stop talking bad about each other. Dialog:

MW: Which I have, which I have, stopped talking about you.

JC: No, the other day, in the locker room before the game, Albert Haynesworth said something, and then Mike [directed] it towards me.

MW: I'm gonna put it on camera. Albert Haynesworth said what animal has big lips. Okay?

JC: You hear this, right, you hear this? [Haynesworth] wasn't even talking to [Williams] though, he just saying this. I'm sitting right there.

MW: Yes, he was. He was putting it out there like I'm putting it out here. What animal has big lips? You know, not really directed at Jason or anything, he was just inquiring about it, you know. And I said Orangutan. And the man fired off on me. I wasn't even talking about him. I answered the question.

JC: He's sitting right beside me. He didn't even have to answer the question. It wasn't even directed towards him

MW: I'm the kind of guy that, if there's a guy like, 'What's the best steakhouse around here,' you know, I'm a give it to you.

JC: What's the best steakhouse around here?

MW: The one I found right now is...don't get me off subject. I can answer a whole bunch of stuff. I felt like I needed to answer, because he really didn't know that an Orangutans had big lips. And all of the sudden I'm talking about Jason? Quite honestly, I don't think Jason's [got] big lips.

So then there was some more jabbering, and Kelli Johnson attempted to make peace, and then suddenly Campbell busted out with a football question.

JC: Hey Mike, do you feel like we can win our next five games?

MW: Yes, I do. Why? Because I know the heart of every man in here, and we fight hard. Unfortunately I was standing on the sideline [against the Eagles], but this man right here, when you made that play...

JC: Hey Mike, you did a good job blocking that sun from the east side. No, I'm talking about when we was going into the sun, you did a good job of sliding over there and keeping that sun directed so the receivers could see the ball. I just said something nice.

MW: Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, that was a shot. But what I was about to say, I saw the play. You had pressure, you spun out, had guys down the field, delivered to Devin Thomas down the sideline. And on the sideline, I said 'That boy's playing. That boy is playing. He got his lips ahead of him, and he's playing.' "

By Dan Steinberg  |  December 3, 2009; 1:44 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nets and Raiders fans share Skins angst
Next: People still love Byron Mouton

Comments

LOL. Classic. Lets shock the Saints now

Posted by: epostell | December 3, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

are big lips an appropriate subject to be talking about. do you have any big bumps on that bald head you own? do they prevent YOU from writing a column (or whatever you call this)?

all these remarks from "fans" abt big eyes (lost in headlights), "lack of intelligence" and now you violate player confidence by bring in a private joke between teammates about "big lips." is the post now conducting a minstrel show. or have senior editors and/or other upper management determined such stories are the wave of the future?

Posted by: dcjazzman | December 4, 2009 12:41 AM | Report abuse

The best part of this was omitted...

Williams said that he actually compliments Campbell's play a lot, like during those third quarter drives against the Eagles, especially that pass to Kelly down the sideline...

Williams said, "I said on the sideline, that boy is PLAYIN' now, I mean he is playin' some ball! He got his lips pointin' downfield..."

Pretty funny.

Posted by: Thinker_ | December 4, 2009 4:11 AM | Report abuse

It's not nice to make fun of other people's lips, though.

Posted by: Thinker_ | December 4, 2009 4:22 AM | Report abuse

Well Orangutans have a orangish color fur on them that is similar to the Orange in the Browns uniforms, what are they hinting at.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 4, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcjazzman | December 4, 2009 12:41 AM

-------------------------

The Post is becoming more and more brazen with their racist stories about Jason Campbell. Sally Jenkins seemed to have gotten the ball rolling last season when she wrote about how Jason was from the slow South. Those who understand the history of the South know that Southerners have long been portrayed as unintelligent cause they "mosey" about, to use Sally's word. Then we had Boswell's egregious article that compared Jason to a mule. The racial implications in his stories on Campbell seem to go under radar. Now we have this stupid Steinberg bog talking about Jason's lips. Some of these people show up on Ivan Carter's Washington Post Live. If he is African American, as he claims, he needs to confront these people about what they're writing; otherwise Carter is nothing more than an Uncle Tom.

Posted by: postwell1 | December 4, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

@dcjazzman & @postwell1. You both are complete idiots. Minstrel show? Racists? Now Carter is an Uncle Tom? Are you two serious. It's two guys having fun with each other, the post is showing the lighter side of the team in rough times, and you guys don't hesitate to pull the race card. People like you two drive a guy like myself crazy, when there actually is racism, no one takes it seriously because of the wolf criers like yourself..

Posted by: TJFromPG | December 4, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

How ironic. Redskins joking about black players as monkeys.

Excuse me, but I've got to polish off my tap shoes before I pick up my order from Popeyes. *Shuffles off grinning*

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | December 4, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Well, as a Weight Challenged American, I found Jason Campbell's remarks about Mike William's girth to be especially alarming and all too much in keeping with the Post's obvious bias against my people.

How many more "Mike Williams Is Fat" stories can they print before someone cries foul? Well, I will! FOWL! FOWL! FOWL!

Did someone mention chicken? I'm a might peckish.

Posted by: LarryBud | December 4, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TJFromPG | December 4, 2009 12:17 PM

-------------------
You obviously wouldn't recognize the race card if it slapped you in your face. All it takes is a little research to find out the history of the white owned media making fun of black people's lips. You may be dumb and ignorant about America's racial legacy, but Steinberg knows this history very well and acted cowardice by retelling the offensive lip joke through 2 black men. Shame on him! And don't give me that mess about people not taking racism seriously because blacks "cry wolf," especially when it's non-blacks who appointed themselves as the "experts" on whether an egregious offense counts as racism. According to these so-called experts like yourself, nothing is ever considered racism. You think that racial slurs are all in good fun, the lighter side of a difficult situation. You probably also think that a racial slur like Redskin honors a nation. Racism should be taken seriously always, so don't try to use blacks as an excuse because you're uncomfortable dealing with the situation, the reason why racial complaints drive you crazy. Somebody that you think is crying wolf shouldn't cause you not to fight bigotry.

Posted by: postwell1 | December 4, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

uh oh. the players are starting to gel and feel comfortable around each other. with 2 good acquisitions on the OL, they might go to the playoffs next year.

must be time for a new coach.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | December 4, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

please shut up about the racial implications. i understand the big lips thing is sensitive, but this is two black teammates joking with one another. if rush limbaugh or don imus was saying this there would be room for legit discussion, but why is there always an overeaching desire to turn innocent fun into a racial issue?

steinz don't let these idiot pot-stirrers affect you man.

Posted by: jpfterps | December 5, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jpfterps | December 5, 2009 3:13 PM

steinz don't let these idiot pot-stirrers affect you man.
-----------------

Why should we shut up about the racial implications in Steinberg's article when it's clear that he wants his audience to focus on the controversy? He sees the article's value in the racial implications. One ignorant black male teasing another black man about his big lips isn't funny. Though Jason appears to be taking the teasing in stride, black people don't like being teased about the size of their lips, especially when you understand that the root of the joke comes from racism about beauty. Thinking about the root of the joke makes it even worse that a white man retold it. Steinberg knew exactly what he was doing, and there was nothing innocent about it.

Posted by: postwell1 | December 8, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse