Skins fans reflect on Cerrato's ouster

Mike Broderick wasn't going to the Monday Night Football meeting with the Giants. He'd seen enough. He had moved on emotionally to the Terps basketball season, and was trying to put this Skins season behind him.

But then Vinny Cerrato resigned, or, to put it another way, was canned like a pickled sardine. And so Broderick--the man who has relentlessly dogged the front office with his "Dumb and Dumber" campaign, and one of the real ringleaders of the Burgundy Revolution--felt a responsibility to show up one more time.

"My boss told me I had to come," Broderick told me before the game. "If they wouldn't have fired this jerk, I wouldn't be here."

"The Revolution needed us," added his friend, Seth Edwards.

And so there they were, trying to get Daniel Snyder's attention before kickoff. The "Vinny" half of their Dumb-and-Dumber shirt set had been crossed out. Dan Snyder's "Dumb" label, meantime, had been replaced with a question: "Smart?" And that was sort of the metaphor for the night. The question mark part of it, anyhow.

Like, out in the parking lot I met one dude dressed like Santa with a No. 9 Skins jersey on underneath his cape. "Sonny Claus," he called himself. I asked what Skins fans wanted this holiday season; "I think we already got it," Bill Beard said. "The GM, no question."

Later, though, I met another Santa, Collin McCune, carrying a case of Bud Light. I asked him the same question, and his wish list was different; "first of all, a new owner," he said. "Dan Snyder needs to sell the team."

See, it was a mixed crowd. Some people were satisfied, and some people weren't.

On the satisfied side, meet Chris Taylor, who had written THANK YOU all over his Fire Vinny Cerrato t-shirt.

"It's a winning season," he told me. "We can lose the rest of our games, and I'd feel like we won something."

"That makes our season," agreed Wayne Champagne from a few seats away.

"The Giants aren't happy," noted John Garguilo, who was sitting in front of Taylor. "We liked Vinny. Just keep Dan Snyder in charge, that'll be good."

The next section over, Mike Mintzer held a "Change is Good" sign.

"Ecstatic," said his friend Tracy Janiak, who had made the sign. "Thank God. Change is good."

But outside, at the Official Dan Snyder [Rhymes With Lucks] tailgate, the rabble wasn't satisfied. They hadn't hung their Official Dan Snyder [Rhymes With Pucks] banner, since they got there late, but they promised it would be back for the Cowboys game.

"Step in the right direction," offered Scott Houston, before his mates shouted him down.

"Nothing's gonna change as long as [Snyder's] still at the top," Tim Ellis said. "It's just another puppet."

"We've got to wait until next year to find out if he still [rhymes with ducks]," Evan Cosby said.

"I've been here before," Ellis said. "It's too many years. It's just another ploy. It's the same thing. Nothing's gonna happe."

"Breaking my heart here, Timmy," Houston said. "I had hope."

See, people want to hope. Like, Buddy Whetzel? I met him a year ago, during the glory days, when he was dressed like Santa and carrying a sign that read "All Santa Wants is a Hip Hip Hooray 2009 Season." This year?

"Even Santa Predicts New Coach," read Whetzel's sign. His sister had Santa's Naughty List. Vinny C. and Danny S. were both on it.

"There's a lot more to go than Vinny," Diane Whetzel Morris said. "We love our Redskins, we won't give up on them, but we're not happy."

"We have a long road to go," Santa Whetzel agreed.

But still, I'm telling you, people want to hope. So I went to find Chris Mitchell before kickoff. He's the lifelong Redskins fan who flipped the Skins flag on his pickup upside down after the loss to the Panthers, the universal sign for distress. He also helped raise $1,500 to pay for a portable "Fire Vinny" sign that rode around D.C.

Monday, before going to FedEx, Mitchell flipped the flag back over.

"I mean, mainly because Vinny's gone," he said. "They're finally shaking [stuff] up. It's just good to see new [stuff]. Bruce Allen might not be the best choice, but he's a proven winner. If he can win in Oakland with Al Davis, there's a chance he can win here with Snyder. It's still ridiculous, but at least Snyder's getting the message now. The franchise is still in distress, it's not fixed yet, but they know they have to do something. They've gotten the message."

That had me feeling at least a bit cheerful. Well, a few hours later, I got an e-mail from Chris. He had left the stadium when the Giants went up 24-0. It was the first time in his six years as a season ticket holder he had left a game early.

"Guess I jumped the gun on flipping the flag back over," he wrote. "Hopefully the front-office changes will show next year, but tonight was flat-out the worst game I have ever seen the Redskins play."

Still, the last time Monday Night Football came here, signs were banned. This time, they weren't. Small signs of progress.

By Dan Steinberg  |  December 22, 2009; 9:07 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A chicken at FedEx Field
Next: A few questions about the trick play

Comments

The Revolution... at least this part is over. It's up to Snyder to make sure it there is no need for this nonsense next year.

Allen- The Revolution is watching you.

Posted by: mb15 | December 22, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Wayne Champagne?

Posted by: jpfterps | December 22, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Vinny didn't make the decision to sue the fans. One down (Fire Vinny), one to go ($nyder $ell the $kin$). Please don't give up the entire draft to reunite $hanahan and Cutler.

Posted by: jburnetti | December 23, 2009 7:19 AM | Report abuse

Wayne Champagne?

Posted by: jpfterps | December 22, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse
----------------------

I think I had his Garbage Pail Kid card

Posted by: fushezzi | December 23, 2009 7:47 AM | Report abuse

I agree, the revolution is not over, but with Vinny gone we are at a point much like where the American revolution was after our win at Saratoga.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 23, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Bruce Allen was GM of the Raiders. They went from Super Bowl contenders to worst in football under Allen's watch. He was fired. He then went to Tampa. They went from Super Bowl contenders to one of the worst in football under Allen's watch. Was the fall of both teams Allen's fault? I don't know. Time will tell.

Posted by: midniterc | December 23, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Well, the fact that Vinny is gone is half of what the fans wanted. The other half, Snyder selling the team, will never happen. So all we can do is keep the pressure on to get the results the fans expect, i.e. more WINS. If they don't make big changes and next season turns out like this one, the fans will have had enough. They will either renew their tickets and sell them to opposing fans, or simply give them up. Danny Boy needs to take a back seat now and let's see what the new GM does for our team. We want the players who want to win foremost, not just collect big fat paychecks for lackluster performances.

Posted by: booboo117 | December 23, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Wayne Champagne?

Posted by: jpfterps | December 22, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

I hope Steinberg isn't making up fictitious sources to populate his posts. That tactic should be reserved for the Redskins Insider Blog.

Posted by: blinders1 | December 23, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: midniterc

*********************************

At least we don't have to worry about going from Super Bowl contenders to one of the worst in football. I think though, that as long as Synder is the owner, there isn't much hope for the 'skins being anything but mediocre.

Posted by: john65001 | December 23, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Wayne Champagne is a real person...I kid you not! Take it from the guy sitting next to him in the Fire Vinny Shirt. And Dan definitely did a double take before writing his name down. He's probably watched Season 5 of "The Wire" to know that you don't go making up sources.

Posted by: CTSpider08 | December 23, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

So I can see a Christmas like carol... happening to Snyder... where would a writer start... vinnie as marley.....nah.. the fan base as tiny tim....plum pudding.. but how could you put a pass so incredibly pointless...into some kind of moral uplift...could not win a conversion there... no candle would burn thru the night... and who in DC would care about Snyder... other than we who have a heart... Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night .... and Snyder if you do see a ghost I hope you take its advice (let our team be a team) and George memory of you will always be in my heart

Posted by: travmanf | December 25, 2009 12:27 AM | Report abuse

In bruce Allens defense - the raiders had an endless superbowl hangover after their horrific loss. Don't forget they lost an aging QB (Gannon) & caoch they never did replace. In Tampa, same process - they aged overnight losing key players from their superbowl win - Brad Johnson, Alstott, Sapp etc. and then Jake the Snake bailed out on Gruden.
I'm just happy to finally have a guy that's gonna clean house like Schottenheimer did a long, long time ago.
********************************
"Bruce Allen was GM of the Raiders. They went from Super Bowl contenders to worst in football under Allen's watch. He was fired. He then went to Tampa. They went from Super Bowl contenders to one of the worst in football under Allen's watch. Was the fall of both teams Allen's fault? I don't know. Time will tell"

Posted by: lszovati | December 25, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse