Skins reach out to ticket holders

I heard this week from Redskins fan Suzanne, a season ticket holder who recently got a phone message from the team's ticket office saying thanks. In the three years she's had season tickets, this was a first for Suzanne; previous calls from the ticket office had mostly asked about her interest in club seats. But this was the message she got this week:

Hi. This is Claudia from the Washington Redskins. Suzanne, I'm calling you checking in to see how your game-day experience has been thus far. My direct number is -------------. We didn't really want anything other than to say thank you for being a season ticket holder and have a great day. Bye.

I asked several Redskins fans I know if they had received similar messages; a few had, most had not. But when I called Redskins PR guru Zack Bolno to ask about this, he said it was part of a season-long effort to talk to ticket holders about their game-day experience.

"We've been doing more one-on-one direct calls to our fan base," he said. "It's just a part of our ongoing effort to collect information from fans about the game-day experience, so that our season ticket holders know we appreciate their support. We're also reaching out to fans by spending more time walking the stadium concourse and walking the tailgating areas. We're trying to find out the best way to try to improve the fan experience on game days, and what better way to do that than to talk to fans at the stadium and get their feedback."

Bolno said that high-ranking team officials, including Senior VP for Stadium Operations Len Rosenberg, have been personally seeking feedback on game days.

And I don't know exactly what to say about all this. Is it more important to make real changes than to leave phone messages? Sure. Is it easy to imagine that this is just a reflexive response to the bad economy and the angry fan base? Sure. Would fans rather have more frequent out-of-town scores, more affordable food and a working big screen than a phone message from Claudia? Again, sure.

But is it better for the team to at least pay lip service to improving the game-day experience than to ignore the matter altogether? I'd say it is, by a lot.

By Dan Steinberg  |  December 17, 2009; 9:09 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Blaming Clinton Portis
Next: Remembering Vinny Cerrato

Comments

as i'm sure news has gotten around...
cerrato has resigned.

FRREEEDDDOOOOOOMMMMMMM.

up next: synder.

Posted by: bacaje | December 17, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I only went to one game this year, against Tampa Bay. If they were to call me though, the first thing I would ask is that they not rape my senses with commercials every chance they get.

At the colts game I went to last Sunday, there was maybe 4 or 5 commercials all game long, and they were played on the jumbotron. There weren't little TVs all over the stands playing additional commercials because you don't need them at Lucas Oil, all the seats are good.

At FedEx Field however, every possible opportunity to make money from marketting is taken. I feel like with all that added revenue coming at my expense, the ticked prices or at least concessions would be lower priced, but they aren't.

So in short, my experience at Lucas Oil put a sharp contrast to my experience at FedEx, and Snyder aught to be ashamed of his greed glutted practices.

Posted by: REXskins | December 17, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

I would say it is a step in the right direction. Show the fans that you respect their opinion, even if you don't...maybe in the end you actually might.

Buhbye Bug Eyed Vinny...buh bye.

Posted by: walkdwalk | December 17, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

It's almost as if they're *gasp* recognizing mistakes!

BYE VINNIE!

Posted by: jbanks979 | December 17, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

It's almost as if they're *gasp* recognizing mistakes!

Posted by: jbanks979 | December 17, 2009 9:46 AM

Yep - but we'll see

Posted by: Kev29 | December 17, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Earlier this season, I sent in a long list of issues encountered on the club level during one game. I never even received an acknowledgement from them.

I was expecting at least a form email, but nothing......

Posted by: MDSkinsFan | December 17, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Been a season ticket holder for the Skins & Wizards for twenty years. Never once heard a word from anyone at Redskins Park. The Wizards account reps call me all the time, send me stuff, give me gifts/holiday cards/media guides and extra tickets all the time. The Wiz actually appreciate that your a season ticket holder. The Skins just send you a yearly invoice that shows how they increased their prices. Snyder could care less about us, they are arrogant and just wants our money. He plays off our loyalty to the team. I hate myself for being loyal to the Redskins.

Posted by: hockey023 | December 17, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

How about better music during the game.... I'm sick and tired of "everybody clap your hands..." Newer stuff like Black Eyed Peas, Rhianna, Jay-Z, etc. would be much appreciated and help pump up the fans and the players...

Posted by: gkd1120 | December 17, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse