Skins dominate Sunday show chatter

Here's the wonderful thing about living in Washington. Even when your football team is 4-9 and not playing on Sunday, that team still manages to keep itself in the middle of the conversation on the Sunday gab shows, giving plenty of opportunities for plucky transcribers out there to stay busy, if you know of any. At this point, everyone's saying basically the same thing, so I'll provide an executive summary.

1) Bruce Allen was Mike Shanahan's hand-picked GM.

2) Though Mike Shanahan could still theoretically go elsewhere.

3) But he'll probably wind up in Washington.

4) Jim Zorn? Who's that?

5) See, Shanahan and Daniel Snyder have been talking forever, further emasculating Jim Dorn, or whatever that spiky-haired dude's name was.

7) Plus, this is a great move all around for the Redskins, who are really a lot closer to winning than you might imagine. By the way, have you seen odds on the offseason championship yet?

8) And no, it wouldn't matter if Jim Zorn were sitting right next to me in this fancy TV studio, I would continue to refer to him as if he were a deaf, castrated corpse, thanks very much.

Now for their actual words.

Peter King, Football Night in America: "Well, I talked to Dan Snyder, the owner of the Redskins the other day, and I asked him point blank. I said, 'Listen, who's making this decision, you or your new general manager Bruce Allen?' And he basically said to me, 'Absolutely, Bruce is gonna make the decision.' And I know people out there are saying, Bruce Allen? I mean, this is Dan Snyder's team. But Dan Snyder believes he's made a ton of mistakes in the last 10 years, and he's finally owning up to it and hiring a guy who I believe yes, will hire Mike Shanahan when the dust settles in January."

Jay Glazer, Fox Pregame: "Dan Snyder has never made an attempt to hide his love for Mike Shanahan, even in the face of his head coach, Jim Zorn. How about this story, all the way back at the owner's meetings in March, John Lynch -- now a broadcaster with us -- was summoned over to Dan Snyder's and a Redskins' contingency (sic), including Jim Zorn. And right there, in front of his head coach, Snyder says, 'John, tell me everything you can about Mike Shanahan, your former head coach. Everything.' And Lynch said to me, 'Well Jeez, this is kind of a bit awkward.' He looked over at Jim Zorn, and Zorn gave him kind of a look like it's okay John, I'm used to it, go ahead. And at that time even, Dan Snyder offered the job -- way back then -- offered the job to Mike Shanahan, and Shanahan said back then you've got to give Jim Zorn more than just that, you can't give him just a year. I mean, right in his face. Unbelievable.

Curt Menefee, Fox: "That's an unbelievable story. It is really amazing what goes on there."

Glazer: I can tell you right now, [Shanahan] is trying to assemble his staff. He's calling around the league, putting together some of his old team to go out there to Washington. However I'm hearing that he wants the Dallas job, and that's why Snyder is acting so quickly, although I don't think Dallas has any interest in him."

Charley Casserly, CBS Pregame: "[Allen] said he has a completely open mind coming into the organization about Jim Zorn's future for next year as the head coach. In his agreement, he has total control over the draft, and he will pick the coach for next year. Of course, the owner has to agree to it, too, but that is common in any general manager's contract."

Adam Schefter, ESPN Radio: Mike Shanahan's the favorite for that job. People say it's done, heavy talks--they've got a lot of work to get done. And Dan Snyder's had a long fascination with Mike Shanahan, and Mike Shanahan's intrigued, and Mike Shanahan will have choices. And we'll see if it gets done in Washington. And oh by the way, I know that after the season it may be a different story, but Jim Zorn is still the coach there. He's not gonna be the coach there next year, as everybody knows, but he's still the coach there. So I just find it a bit distasteful to even be talking about it, but that's what we do. These are people with families that have jobs. All I'm saying is that part of this is the human element that we just gloss over as sports fans, we just go right on and say, Oh yeah, Redskins hiring Jon Gruden, Mike Shanahan. There's a guy there right now. That's the soft side of me, the sensitive side of me."

Chris Mortensen, ESPN: "Listen, since Mike Shanahan didn't belong to any team, there's no tampering. Daniel Snyder or anybody could have had conversations with Mike Shanahan all year long, which I really believe did happen in this case. But it was Mike Shanahan who put Bruce Allen in place, in terms of telling Dan Snyder this is the guy I would like to be running the front office. So Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan, that's a pairing. As far as transparency goes, I talked to John Wooten, the head of the Fritz Pollard Alliance, who oversees the Rooney Rule. He says Dan Snyder gets A's and A-pluses from him for his transparency with him and with the commissioner, Roger Goodell. He believes he's been in compliance."

Pat Kirwan, CBSSPorts.com: "I think it's gonna get done rather quickly. Although Jim Zorn is still the head coach, I don't believe Mike Shanahan is gonna want to accept that job if Jim is still under contract, so I think you've got to clear the deck. And most coaches that I know would not take a job until the head coach was gone. So it's a little bit of a formality, because we all know Jimmy's gone, but it's still important to coaches in the profession not to do that....I like [Shanahan] a lot, [working] with Bruce. I didn't know how it would be if it was direct with Dan, but Bruce has tremendous personal skills to be the guy in between Dan and Mike Shanahan, and Bruce has a very good reputation as being a guy who wants to help the coach. He's not a GM-type who wants to run the show; he's there to service the coach and make sure he has the players and coaches he needs. And Bruce will clean up those contracts to make sure that those guys in the future have the space they need to go get what they want."

By Dan Steinberg  |  December 21, 2009; 10:08 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Historic Saturday for Commonwealth hoops
Next: Top 10 D.C. athletes of the decade

Comments

i think gruden would be a betetr fit. they need a fiery type who will stick a size 10.5 where it needs to go from time to time.

Posted by: mdoughtie22 | December 21, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

i think gruden would be a better fit. they need a fiery type who will stick a size 10.5 where it needs to go from time to time.

Posted by: mdoughtie22 | December 21, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

LOL, Read this, it contridicts everything said in the article above.

Posted by: Davo61 | December 21, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

"LOL, Read this, it contridicts everything said in the article above." How do you figure? Both use Glazer as the primary source, both come to the same conclusions. No contradiction at all.

I'd like to see Shanahan here -- I think JC would look great in his offense -- but I still have a feeling he's headed to Dallas. Why wouldn't he be? Is Allen really enough of a reason to come to this circus? And if he does head south, who's number two?

Posted by: RIP-21 | December 21, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

"6) And yet through all of this, the Rooney Rule has been artfully obeyed, with flying colors, so to speak."

I just about DIED reading this. Hilarious.

Posted by: TheSuperhoo | December 21, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

"Dan Snyder has never made an attempt to hide his love for Mike Shanahan, even in the face of his head coach, Jim Zorn. ...And at that time even, Dan Snyder offered the job -- way back then -- offered the job to Mike Shanahan, and Shanahan said back then you've got to give Jim Zorn more than just that, you can't give him just a year. I mean, right in his face. Unbelievable."

Dan Snyder is like Veruca Salt with crippling attention deficit disorder and an addiction to a sugar rush. I just would LOVE if Bruce and Shannahan presented a super bowl winning plan that involved two to three years of patient building. I WANT A SUPERBOWL NOW SHANNY!NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW!

Posted by: jbanks979 | December 21, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like Snyder's business skills were well utilized. The early bird... They got painted into a corner two years ago and likely settled for Zorn, who IS a good coach, maybe even a good head coach - he had no chance here while Vinny was on the payroll. I hope it works out, and I really like the Allen deal. Not only is Allen very good at his job he is a class individual widely respected in the NFL and in the DC area. I love my Redskins, but if I had a choice between the Skins and Dallas, with a new stadium, a future host of the Super Bowl, the whole Dallas aura, I'd take Dallas. Since Snyder took ownership Dallas has slowly notched up in popularity. I will say though that Jerry Jones is likely more meddlesome than Snyder is. Snyder has learned his lessons I think, and will give the new leadership much more leeway. He'll just want to tag along on scouting trips - that's OK, he owns the team, and carries the purse.

Posted by: bfjam | December 21, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

>>1) Bruce Allen was Mike Shanahan's
hand-picked GM.

I thought the GM was supposed to pick the coach. Not the other way around. Same old backasswards for the Skins. And kind of guarantees that Allen can never fire Shanahan doesn't it.
Perfect.

Posted by: dovelevine | December 21, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

If Danny boy really did ask Lynch in front of Zorn about Shanahan then Dan Snyder is the biggest A-HOLE in the nation. If it is true the Snyder is a CLASSLESS BASTARD that needs to get a pole up his butt. And I would love for Zorn to have the pleasure of doing that. Someone needs to find out if this is the truth. I just can't believe that the owner of our beloved 'Skins is like that. HOW EMBARASSING!!!!!! He continues to make the 'Skins the laughing stock of this nation.

SNYDER if you read this, and I doubt that you will, then you better come out and deny this or I will find you one day and I will be carrying the "silver cadillac".

Posted by: eddie5 | December 21, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

"he owns the team, and carries the purse.

Posted by: bfjam |"

Well said.

Posted by: fourteenth_and_otis | December 21, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Proving only that pro football and its media coverage is an amoral, unprincipled dog-eat-dog game. Unfortunately, the only non-dog in the fight is Coach Zorn. He deserves much better and I hope he gets it in his next incarnation. The Redskins, on the other hand, do not deserve a decent guy like Coach Zorn (or any other decent guy for that matter). I've been a season ticket holder for forty-four years -- something I am now deeply ashamed to admit publicly. I have misplaced my loyalty all those years. Happily, I am now over it and feel free to stay home and watch competent teams play the game.

Posted by: qball43 | December 21, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

The problem with Snyder is that he has the attention span of a gnat and the conscience of a crocodile. He hires people and almost immediately starts undermining them as if SOMEONE ELSE hired them. His pattern of interviewing people for their bosses jobs before they are fired is ludicrous. Nothing is more corrosive to morale. He assumes everyone is motivated by money (just like him!) and gets discouraged when his shiny new toys need new batteries. I doubt if he has the patience or courage to develop a winning organization. As a marketing guy he looks at the BRAND -- if you buy the best BRAND then you should get a winner, right??

Posted by: SackMan | December 21, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

"These are people with families that have jobs."

I agree with Adam Schefter here. Jim Zorn has worked hard and I do not think it is good or right to speak of him as if he were a stupid dunce. Sure I think the Redskins should interview coaches to maybe replace him. But they should do it with class. Also the media should report in a critical but respectful way.

Posted by: sonofliberty09 | December 21, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse