Officials thought Fred Davis made a lewd gesture

As noted earlier, Sam Huff found Fred Davis's dance to be vulgar, but I'm not sure that's the case. Reader Phil was actually at the game, with an up-front look at Fred's dance, and he sent along this video. I still can't figure out what went wrong.

Here's what Davis said about his celebration, to Extreme Skins's Brian Murphy:

Man, [the official] tried to say I flicked them off. I didn't see myself, but that's what he said, he said you flicked off the fans. I was just like, I don't know what you're talking about. But you're away, so I guess you've got to keep it to a minimum and just [watch] the refs.

Some Raiders fans did indeed claim that Davis's celebration was lewd (See photo below). This is from the Silver and Black Report:

Where Bizzarro World comes into play is where an official can equally flag Raiders cornerback Chris Johnson for dropping to both knees with his arms outstretched to God after returning an interception for a touchdown against the Texans earlier in the year and flag Washington Redskins TE Fred Davis for making the universal "Cuckold" gesture after scoring a touchdown against the Raiders. You may ask, "What do these two examples have to do with one another?" They don't...and that's the point. By sheer example of how the celebrations were viewed by the ruling officials, these NFL officials see kneeling to praise God (or for that matter, praising the planet Jupiter if you're an atheist) on par with giving the universal gesture of having sex with another man's adulterous wife. Unbelievable!

So did Davis give the universal gesture of having sex with another man's adulterous wife? I guess I'm not totally sure. But here, for the record, are the NFL's official rules about unsportsmanlike celebrations:

There shall be no unsportsmanlike conduct. This applies to any act which is contrary to the generally understood principles of sportsmanship. Such acts specifically include, among others....:

* Individual players involved in prolonged or excessive celebrations. Players are prohibited from engaging in any celebrations while on the ground. A celebration shall be deemed excessive or prolonged if a player continues to celebrate after a warning from an official.

* Two-or-more players engage in prolonged, excessive, premeditated, or choreographed celebrations.

* Possession or use of foreign or extraneous object(s) that are not part of the uniform during the game on the field or the sideline, or using the ball as a prop.

Obviously he didn't use the ball as a prop. The two-or-more thing is a reach, even though Stephon Heyer patted Davis on the head and rump during his dance. Which leaves us with "prolonged or excessive." And I just don't see it.

"If you want to dance, get up," Titans Coach Jeff Fisher, co-chairman of the competition committee, said when these new rules were announced. He meant that dancing was ok, as long as you stay on your feet.

In case you haven't yet read enough about Davis, Jim Zorn discussed the second-year tight end at length on his ESPN 980 show this week, saying that Davis had been lax in preparation before Chris Cooley got hurt.

"The speed and his production was gonna be there, because of his physical talent," Zorn said. "Now for him, when he came in, it was hard to get him up to speed, because he was frustrated because he wasn't playing here. He had Chris Cooley in front of him, and he was gonna have to wait his turn. So his effort on preparation was a little lax, if you will, in my mind. And now he's starting to come on.

"And then with Chris out of the way, it's just allowed him to flourish, to get all the reps, to be the focal point of our tight end coach basically. I mean, that's what he's concentrating on: Fred Davis. That has dramatically helped him. What he's done this season so far has really pushed his level of play up, because of the reps he's been getting. You hear, 'well, he's a rep guy.' Well I would say he is. And whether he'll be a Tony Gonzalez, that's not even a discussion. I guess it's discussion fodder, if you will, but he's not quite there yet as far as his maturity in this league. He hasn't done much yet, but he's showing sparks of real talent."

Kevin Sheehan then asked what happens when Cooley comes back, which a lot of fans have been wondering.

"That's what we've been trying to do from the start," Zorn said. "Fred needs those reps. I mean, that's what we've seen, he needs those reps to get better, and he has. Now that he's got that experience, the last eight games, I think he'll only get better next year because he's got some inspiration to not allow this thing to start ebbing back down. We've been trying to do that all along, get both those guys involved in the gameplan."

(By Brian Murphy)

By Dan Steinberg  |  December 15, 2009; 2:20 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zorn discusses the Randle El mystery
Next: Clinton Portis discusses Tiger Woods

Comments

Dan I'm waiting for the punchline about how Davis then gave a golf swing gesture after the adultery gesture. Hello, Fred is just trying to be topical. Let's lighten up, folks. Tiger will be Tiger.

Posted by: pgugino | December 15, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I still don't see it. Pretty ludicrous.

Posted by: TheSuperhoo | December 15, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

We've been trying to get those guys in the gameplan??

Good thing sherm and injuries forced your hand. Zorns nonsense talk is frustrating.

Posted by: AdamCr | December 15, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

There is a "universal" cuckolding gesture? Huh?

Posted by: mrlogical | December 15, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

I am glad I am not the only one who was confused by the call. It looked to me that he was doing the same "You can't see me" hand gesture that DeShawn Stevenson does for the Wizards every time he hits a 3.

Posted by: BT23 | December 15, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I must have failed 14-year-old boy crude gestures class, b/c I have no idea what the universal "cuckold" or "universal gesture of having sex with another man's adulterous wife" is.

Posted by: colerwilson | December 15, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Actually, Dan, after they called the penalty and showed the replay, I could definitely see Davis give the fans in the Black Hole the one-finger salute. If any fans deserve it, they do. But it was the correct call.

I'm from the Art Monk anti-celebration school that says: "When you get into the end zone, act like you've been there before. Give the official the ball and move on." But I guess that makes me old-fashioned, eh?

Posted by: StevefromSacto | December 15, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

The dance was stupid and lame. Bottom line - unnecessary, mickey mouse crap that helped nullify the score.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | December 15, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Settle down Fred, we're 4-9.

Posted by: peterandmeredith | December 15, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

i think when he waved his hand in front of his face (a la "I can't feel my face), the refs mistook it for a middle finger. didn't think of it until seeing the still shot there.

Posted by: DCJonesy | December 15, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

1. Not at all clear whether he flipped off the fans.

2. Officials are only supposed to call what they see, not what they thought they saw, wanted to see, or what must have happened.

3. Using the ball for a prop - as in Dallas spiking the ball over the goal post in front of an official, in Dallas ... no call? That kind of using a prop?

4. Year-by-year, NFL officials present a greater case for "external reasons" why they make some calls.

I'm just saying ...

Posted by: AWWNats | December 15, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Could someone please tell me what the "universal gesture of having sex with another man's adulterous wife" is? I must have missed that one at husband class. I really think I need to know, in case some guy walks up and starts doing it in front of me.

Posted by: bucky_katt | December 15, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Did Oakland not score after the penalty did they not get great field position because Fred(Sleepy)Davis had to show off,just a note Fred; HAND THE BALL TO THE OFFICIAL THAT'S THE COOLEST THING TO DO AND JUST GO TO YOUR NEXT ASSIGNMENT DON'T DANCE DONT ACT LIKE.......... OH MY GOD I JUST SCORED A TD JUST HAND THE LEATHER TO THE REF.

Posted by: dargregmag | December 15, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

The cuckold gesture is forming horns with your hands. I wonder how uncomfortable he would feel going to a University of Texas football game... or a rock concert...

Posted by: kyureosity | December 15, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Please dont tell me that the most lewd and disrespectful fans in all of Sports (RAIDERS) are crying about what an opposing player did to them. Is the Black Hole becoming Club Med now? As for the gesture, I actually thought it was a Micheal Jackson hand gesture.

Posted by: usc932000 | December 16, 2009 7:42 AM | Report abuse

It looks to me like he put two fingers in front of his mouth, making a gesture which refers to the act of orally pleasuring a woman.

Now why he would do that after scoring I touchdown, I have no clue.

Posted by: elpando | December 16, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Maybe it's because I am a child of the 60s and am just not as cool as you punks with your Vanilla Ice street language .. "Yo Yo .. know what I'm sayin' dawg .. what's the *&%^# up with that .. weekie weekie weekie .." and I am merely working on my basic knowledge of crudology like "flippin' the bird" (I'm not sure what you kids mean when you say "cuckold?") .. but what the hell is "universal gesture of having sex with another man's adulterous wife?" Please. Because I am entering the twilight years of my 40's and I apparently need to know this! BTW -- what time is "OW, My Balls" on?

Posted by: praxis22 | December 16, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

OH please all i have to say is DESEAN JACKSON FROM PHILLY IS ALWAYS DANCING IN THE ENZONE BUT NEVER GETS FLAGGED>>>

Posted by: kmambouray85 | December 16, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

rulebook:
Players are prohibited from engaging in any celebrations while on the ground.

What?

Posted by: kls1 | December 16, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

A cuckold is a married man with an adulterous wife. The gesture of the horned hand can be used to insult the cuckold. So does this mean refs can throw a flag for "hook 'em horns" or "hang loose"?

I think this is just a pathetic after-the-fact excuse by the refs when they realized they messed up. I fancy myself to be somewhat education and knowledgeable about various life-styles but I've never heard this term until now.

Posted by: cdepp | December 16, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse