Afternoon Bog: Obama to Georgetown-Duke game?
The rumor mill has been buzzing about the president going to watch Georgetown-Duke Saturday at Verizon Center, and now The Hill says it's true, "according to sources involved in the planning of the event." And posters on Casual Hoya have mentioned an e-mail to fans about "enhanced security" due to "the number of dignitaries expected to be in attendance." And Washington Whispers published the full e-mail:
On Saturday, Georgetown University Athletics would like to strongly encourage you to arrive at Verizon Center at least forty five minutes earlier than you normally would....If you choose to drive, we strongly encourage you to park in a garage away from Verizon Center. Please leave backpacks, bags and extra items at home.
Great to see him embracing the local sports scene, unless he roots for Duke, in which case he might as well hang Crosby and LeBron jerseys up and down Pennsylvania Ave. In any case, two ways to chart POTUS's next local sporting move:
* GW, leads to Georgetown, leads to the Patriot League playoffs at Bender Arena?
* Wizards, lead to Georgetown, leads to a Caps game at Verizon Center.
And then there's the first pitch option at Nationals Park. Or anything related to the Redskins, in an effort to kick-start health care. (See below.)
Other things that happened, while wondering how Obama would react to an in-person Scheyerface....
* NBC Washington says Georgetown-Duke tickets cost more than Jets-Colts tickets.
* The Redskins signed a long snapper who "can snap up to 40 yards, a talent he displays by snapping to receivers running routes and hitting them in stride." (Skins Blog)
* Matt Bradley tells Ted Leonsis that the "We Want Wings!" chant "gets the players smiling and motivated." (Ted's Take)
* Alexander Semin explodes a water bottle. (On Frozen Blog)
* Tomas Fleischmann is "a LOT cuter in person... Very tall, and a little skinnier than I would have thought." Also, his appearance at ESPNZone was packed. (Nothing Short of Ordinary)
* Scott Van Pelt offers sweet nothings about the red-hot Terps on ESPN. (Mister Irrelevant)
* Gary Williams fights with Bill Rohland about expanding the NCAA tournament. Best Gary line: "In the real world, there's the NCAA tournament and nothing at the end of the year. We all know that. I've been in the NIT, I know how that feels to be in the NIT." (Terps Insider)
* You can still get an Agent Zero jersey on NBA 2K10. (Twitpic)
* Photos from Stephen Strasburg's wedding. "Stephen and his gracious family asked me to keep some of their pictures quiet but I am allowed to share their flowers... The best part MMMMMMM LOL :)" Exactly. Plus, I love Tony Gwynn's name-tag.
* If you haven't seen, Dave Sheinin offers a fantastic pitch-by-pitch breakdown of the Bacsik-Bonds at-bat, which seems to indicate that Bacsik wasn't grooving one, he was just being Bacsik. (Nats Journal)
* Nats PECOTA 82-win optimism: "If absolutely nothing disturbs the clubhouse balance, they don't have any major injuries, the front office doesn't make any silly personnel moves, and the players get more lucky bounces than not, then the Nationals just might not suck beyond belief this season. Hope springs eternal, apparently even for the machines. (DCist)
* Nats PECOTA 82-win pessimism: "The key question here is what's the most likely outcome, assuming no changes to the current roster. There's just no way one can defend the idea that this team has 82-win ability." (Fire Jim Bowden)
* Bill Simmons ranks the 15 most tortured fan bases in sports. Nothing from D.C. qualifies. The Caps are lumped in with near-miss teams that lack either sufficient media attention, fan-base pessimism, playoff nightmares or city-wide mediocrity.
January 29, 2010; 2:23 PM ET
Categories: Caps , College Basketball , Nats , Redskins , Terps , Wizards
Save & Share: Previous: Redskins had 2009's most injured offense
Next: Mike Wise meets Obama, part III
Posted by: Kev29 | January 29, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: TheFingerman | January 29, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: KCinHD | January 29, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: formerlylove1 | January 29, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: setrjhytkytjefthtjhyju | January 29, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: clark202 | January 30, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: bballrocks0000 | January 30, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Chia_Pet | January 30, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: rdpinva | January 30, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.