Antawn Jamison's Apology: The Video

On Friday night, just after the Wizards beat the Magic, I posted something praising Antawn Jamison for both his pre- and post-game comments. His words seemed genuine to me, and they seemed like the sort of thing a grown-up would say when he felt badly for doing something stupid.

Many of you disagreed with me, finding Jamison's actions to be a cynical, money-driven attempt to rehab his and his franchise's image. And at least one of you asked to see the video.

Well, here, via CSN Washington, is the video. Watch it and make up your own mind, I guess. My opinion the second and third time through isn't much different than my opinion when I first saw his speech.

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 11, 2010; 7:39 AM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DeShawn Stevenson's Arenas tribute
Next: When Bernard King threatened Wes with a gun

Comments

Looked sincere and genuine to me.

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | January 11, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

we didnt mean to make light of the situation, but we all laughed as Gil pretended to shoot us before the game the other night? Ok...

Posted by: capsfansince74 | January 11, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Two things: First, making light of the situation was incredibly stupid on Gilbert's part. At the same time, if I was in that circle and I saw Gilbert doing his best to make me laugh, I'd have to try REALLY hard not to. It definitely was not the place nor time, but we've all laughed at inappropriate times in our lives and regretted it later. So don't jump all over Jamison because he laughed at a joke. I believe his apology is sincere.

The other thing I wanted to address is "class". The Wizards seem to be hanging Gilbert out to dry over this PR nightmare. Sure, it sheds a bad light on the organization, but I believe there is some ulterior motive behind this disassociation between the franchise and the "franchise player". I think the Wizards are using this as an excuse to get out of a (let's face it) bad contract with Arenas. He definitely hasn't been worth 111 million to the Wizards so far (injuries galore) and I find it hard to believe he would live up to his star player expectations if he did come back from this suspension. From a business standpoint, this is a great move by the Wizards. Get rid of a HUGE salary the year before the free agent market is about to go nuts. From a class standpoint - ditch the guy who finally got the Wizards to the playoffs because he doesn't appear to be the elite player he once was by blowing this PR mess out of proportion - REAL CLASSY (note the sarcasm).

Posted by: MillBurray | January 11, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Saw it live and thought it was a good step in the right direction. However, would have loved to hear the words "we appologize" for making a mockery of this franchise and we'll do our best to get this team back on track. Rather than, it's up to you fans...

However, I think he was nervous and it wasn't totally scripted, so I can't be too picky.

Posted by: ChinatownExpress | January 11, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

what a big surprise that the guys who were fined for egging arenas on included young, mcgee, and blatche...so tired of hearing about their off-court antics...isn't blatche in his 5th or 6th season now?

Posted by: jdwood84 | January 11, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

good apology.
That said you will never make this a "tough" place to play when your team color is Teal.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 11, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Agree with Chinatown Express. Sincere yes, and allowance can be made for speaking off the cuff, but let's not call it an apology. No use of the magic words "sorry," "apologize," or "regret."

And yes, it might be hard not to laugh if Gil springs this on you unawares on the court, but this was a rehearsed bit. What was Antawn thinking during the rehearsal?

Posted by: CapPeterson1 | January 11, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I'm your captain, and playing defense is not something I take lightly... You might of seen video of me taking it lightly... but I didn't mean to make light of it...

In closing, I hope you can bring your buddy here and have a good time, watching me drop 30 points and then give up 40 on our way to losing 50...cause you're stuck with me now.

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | January 11, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

why wasn't Jamison fined? He's laughing just as hard as anyone else in the philly picture.

Posted by: sunnyman1 | January 11, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Dan, any chance you can post Jamison's post-game comments? Couldn't pull them up on CSN.

Posted by: EYoung77 | January 11, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnnyBlades

--------------------------------

Now that was funny! hahaha...
As for Antawn et al laughing at Gil, it was just the wrong place and definitely the wrong time. When you make as much money as these guys do, you should invest in a PR person or someone to tell you how to live right in that limelight. There are too many politics involved in anything concerning heavy investing. And make no mistake about it atheletes...you are investments. The Pollins will and should do anything to protect that bottomline. Read the fine print or caveat before you sign. It should have stated something similar to this (in layman's terms): You will no longer be treated or have the expectations of your broke peers back on the block since I am making your pockets "fat". I will spend a lot of money on you, so that hard-working people can feel free to spend a lot of money on my team. BUT...if you do something to make people no longer want to spend a lot of money to see my team, then I will do everything in my power to get rid of you and any memory of you, and bring in someone that people will want to see instead! Other than that...we love you and welcome aboard!

Yup...that about says it all...

Posted by: dark_some | January 11, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Dan, you're WAY too easy on this guy! A sincere apology absolutely includes the words "I'm sorry". And since he is the captain he should have said "We're sorry" AND "I'm sorry". This guy should have been fined more than anyone - besides this incident how many more of Gil's antics over the years has Jamison been complicit with?

Posted by: francois2 | January 11, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

My take is that he was put up to it by management and he was uncomfortable with it since it can be construed as throwing Arenas under the bus. But it all goes back to rule number one which is "The NBA is a gutter league." Once you accept that, nothing will surprise you.

Posted by: poguesmahone | January 11, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

he needs to take public speaking lessons....he is extremely nervous

Posted by: askhosh10 | January 11, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I think the entire Wizards organization (down to the trainers, the ball boys, and the secretaries) should be put onto the State Department's terrorism watch list.

Posted by: playahatah | January 11, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Whateva! If he was such a great captain he would have nixed the action/beef when it started. Seems to me he is a pawn in David stern's world who is just trying to save his own a**. If he wants the fans to show support, start winning some games, and by the way Antwan, way to bail on a teammate.

Posted by: Cancerman1 | January 11, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse