Antawn Jamison's championship dreams

(Via Comcast SportsNet)

Thomas Boswell went to great numerical lengths Tuesday morning to prove that the Wizards are the absolute dregs of the local sports scene and have been for 31 years. It's a sordid scene, filled with one grisly number after another. Here's the worst:

In the past 10 seasons, every NBA team, even the Los Angeles Clippers, has had a season with at least 47 wins! Except the Wizards, of course. They haven't had more than 45 wins since 1978-79. (The Bobcats are in just their sixth season, so they don't count.)

Boz went into even more ghastly detail in his chat, noting that expansion teams like the the Heat (6), Timberwolves (5), Hornets (8), Magic (5) have topped 45 wins multiple times in that span. The point is that this is not the place for championship dreams.

And yet Antawn Jamison had that dream, and, as has often been noted, represented that dream with a photo of the Larry O'Brien trophy, which he hung in his locker for this season.

"For me, it's the only thing left I have to accomplish," Jamison told CSN's Chris Miller earlier in the season. "It's the only thing I want to accomplish. And I told [teammates], I need that trophy in my locker room, because when I come sit, when I come to work every day, that's the only thing that I want to see before I go out there on that court. That's the one thing that I want to see."

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 19, 2010; 10:47 AM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The second-most popular Caps jersey
Next: Caps practice vs. Wiz game

Comments

He could be in Cleveland next month with a very realistic shot at that dream so I wouldn't count him out just yet...

Posted by: nford2 | January 19, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

"And now that the guy who was supposed to help him get a shot at that trophy is gone, that just seems kind of sad."

Yeah it's really sad that Gilbert played with guns and let the entire organization down, not to mention the fans.

Jamsion will end up in Cleveland I'm betting. Another good fit would be San Antonio.

Now if EG trades him to a non-contender that would really be rancid.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 19, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Rmcazz Ray,

How many times have you posted comments similar to the one you posted above about Gilbert "letting the entire organization down, not to mention the fans"? I'm asking because I seriously doubt you made similar comments when Chris Webber and Juwan Howard were accused of gang-raping a woman in Potomac, Md. I'm asking because I seriously doubt you made similar comments when Rod Strickland was arrested not once, not twice, not three times, but FOUR times while with the Wizards. I'm asking because I seriously doubt you made similar comments when Andray Blatche was arrested for reckless driving, or when Blatche was arrested for sex solicitation. I'm asking because I seriously doubt you made similar comments ad nauseum when Jerry Stackhouse was arrested for assaulting a real estate.

Seriously, do you people not see the blatant double standards in your supposed convictions? I'm just asking.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 19, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Barno, excellent comments. I do not understand why Gilbert's offense is being treated as if he killed someone - or even threatened to kill someone. The only thing I can figure is that people are really mad (jealous?) about the money Gilbert was offered. What is even sadder is that the very organization that offered him that money can only think of one thing - how can we get that money back? Gilbert played a stupid joke for which he deserves punishment - not banishment. I agree with a comment someone made on another blog - Gilbert's real sin was that he didn't bow down to the great god - David Stern and Stern couldn't stand that. That's what he's really being punished for.

Posted by: juliagraffam | January 19, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Julia, I completely agree. He's also being punished for not being quite the superstar he once was due to injury. If he was still averaging 29 pts a game and the Wizards were still playing above .500 ball, there is simply no way in hell he would be treated like this by the organization, let alone the league.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 20, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse