Are the Wizards being hypocritical on guns?

By banishing Gilbert Arenas and virtually any image of him from their arena, the Wizards have definitely thrown down the gauntlet of moral purity. Guns, they seem to be saying, are never a lighthearted matter, and so we won't tolerate anyone who jokes about them.

This policy, it seems to me, opens the franchise up to a close study of their moral purity, especially as regards to firearms. This will undoubtedly make me look like a 53-year old buttoned-up librarian, but whatever.

And so, as one of my longtime readers pointed out, shortly after Antawn Jamison apologized to the fans for the team's making light of Gilbert's gun incident, the Wizards were introduced to the strains of "Deep Cover" by Dre and Snoop. A tune that closes with these lyrics:

Turned my back and grabbed my gat and guess what I told him before I shot it:
'If you don't quit, yeah, if you don't stop, yeah, I'm lettin' my gat pop'
Cause it's 1-8-7 on an undercover cop

Sort of a jarring transition, for anyone paying attention. And then there's the victory anthem played as the seconds run down on Wizards' wins. The team says it's DJ Class's "Tear Da Club Up," but the hook is just about indistinguishable from the Ruff Ryders' "Down Bottom," which is what many people assume the music is. That playful little ditty includes lines like these:

[Fella] you don't want my paper drop
Cause that means I'm empty
And your full of it
Check what the bullet did
Missiles gonna hit you get you
Rip through tissue, should have never rhymed this cause I miss you

And also this:

Tell a [mother lover] pull out Bust a bullet out In ya safe house [Fella] where the keys at [Fella] where the stash at [Fella] where the weed at
[Fella] pass that 'fore I pull my trigger

And also this:

Do y'all [fellas] bust y'all guns
Hell yeah we bust our guns

And also this:

In the late night
We be cockin high givin' you stage fright
Yo' head might explode
When I bust with the lead pipe

And also this:

When my [fellas] get knocked we gonna bail them out
When it come to my gun my shells is out....
My guns made in China so you better dust off
Cause when they getcha you gonna be ketchup....
I'ma reach in my sweater bet my Beretta
Make a [fella] feel heat in cold weather

And look, I don't want to be some prude here; the Wizards are playing instrumental tracks, and the vast majority of the audience likely isn't thinking about DJ Class or the Ruff Ryders or any sort of guns, Berettas or otherwise, and plenty of American musicians from every genre have mythologized firearms. But when, as a franchise, you go down this path of moral purity, you're fairly well exposed to charges of hypocrisy.

Like, all the hubbub about how this was an especially grievous error in this town, with this franchise, considering D.C.'s plague of gun violence, and considering how Abe Pollin staked his reputation on changing the team's name from Bullets to Wizards because of an aversion to gun violence? Sounds great, right? But how can you possibly justify such a position when the team is still selling Bullets apparel in its official team store? That image above is the first thing you see at the online store; Bullets is front and center. They're still profiting off a name that they decided was too heinous to wear on the court? And yet "Bullets" remains one of the arguments against Gilbert?

I'm not saying that the team should play showtunes during intros, and Disney anthems after they win. I'm not saying they should be renamed the Quakers. But I'm saying all the indignation needs to be dished out with some sort of self-awareness, or it will become a complete farce.

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 12, 2010; 10:05 AM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Local Poll Week VII: Hoyas shoot the lights out
Next: Ovechkin on Arenas: "I support him"

Comments

steinberg. you are a complete moron

Posted by: slim4 | January 12, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Become? It is a complete farce, Steinz.

I, for one, would like more show tunes at Wiz games. We need a little more whimsy at the VC these days.

Posted by: TheFunBunch | January 12, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

"I'm not saying they should be renamed the Quakers."

Roger Mason Jr. would approve.

Posted by: Unsilent | January 12, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

LOL. WTF. Should they ban bananas because people often hold them like guns?

Or maybe ban people from yelling "shotgun!" when exiting the arena when they want to ride in the front seat.

Nah. How about they keep the status quo and just continue to ban GUNS.

Posted by: PropJoe | January 12, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Your post begs the question:

Do the Wizards play the "Down Bottom" lyrics you quote ad nauseum or not? Because it sounds like they don't -- and instead play "Tear Da Club Up." If the latter has a similar (or even identical) instrumental beat or whatever but DOESN'T CONTAIN THE LYRICS YOU QUOTE, then how can you criticize the Wiz for the "Down Bottom" lyrics?

It's a legitimate point on "Deep Cover." My guess is it's a negligent oversight and the track won't play in the future.

One can argue both sides on the Bullets gear.

But I think you need to do a better job connecting the "Down Bottom" lyrics to the Wizards. If there is any connection at all.

Posted by: kjm1971 | January 12, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Early on in this mess the Wizards should have sat Gilbert down and explained to him just how ugly this thing could get. He was obviously clueless. They only started taking things "seriously" after the backlash came from Gilbert not taking things seriously enough.

Posted by: mack1 | January 12, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

excellent.

Posted by: trolly_time | January 12, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

This is the dumbest article of all time. They dont even play the actual songs at Wizards games they only play the instrumental. Boy this guy really must not have had anything else to write about today.

Posted by: tywill28 | January 12, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lindemann777 | January 12, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Is this guy joking? The name "Bullets" promoted gun violence about as much as the New Jersey Devils promote satanism. Pollin chose to change the name, but if you remember, he had almost no support in the community. Remember, Pollin won nil in his final thirty years as an owner.

Posted by: Nemo24601 | January 12, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah and I guess they should take down the NBA Championship banner they have that says "Bullets" too. They suspended Gilbert because he broke the law. Last I checked selling a Bullets t-shirt was perfectly legal.

Posted by: tywill28 | January 12, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

If Steinberg was the Steinberg of old, he likely would've been around the lockerroom (he always was) and would've have gotten the real story right away. Then two things would've happened:

1. He breaks the story, becomes an instant media celebrity and joins the cast of Around the Horn. The Bogs ceases to exist for a while until the WaPo hires a chimpanze to transcribe Redskins radio shows.

2. He eats the story which leads to an amazing run in which the Wiz close out the season on a 31-6 run and win the Championshihp....destroying the Cavs in a series in which Gil crosses over Lebron so bad he tears his ACL and MCL, never to play again.

If you would've only eaten the story Steinz. If only you would've eaten the story.....

Posted by: fushezzi | January 12, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

"I for one immediately think of the lyrics to "Deep Cover" when I hear the instrumental. So this post resonates with me. Good points throughout."

I immediately think "Down Bottom" when they game-winning anthem is played. I agree, if the Wizards are going to take a zero-tolerance stance against guns, they need to examine what that really means.

They either need to apply the same standards to themselves, or stop acting like Gilbert murdered Abe Pollin himself. For the record, I vote for the latter.

Posted by: Tank2 | January 12, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I can be completely appalled by teammates brandishing guns in the locker room and still wear my old Bullets sweatshirt that's out in the garage with my tools. There is no contradiction there in my mind.

Posted by: LouLewis | January 12, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

"This policy, it seems to me, opens the franchise up to a close study of their moral purity, especially as regards to firearms."

You mean like journalists that have nothing better to write about then beat a dead horse???

"I'm not saying that the team should play showtunes during intros, and Disney anthems after they win."

You mean like drop trou and take a dump in the middle of the floor after a hearty victory? ;)

Dan it's old, you can let it go now. It seems like you're reaching for things now.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 12, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I really like your writing, Dan. Most of the time. But this post is a little off, in my opinion.

What you touch on seems to be a league-wide issue between the cleaner, corporate, money-making side of the NBA as entertainment product versus some more popular expressions that juxtapose the NBA with a "street" crime/gun culture.

The Wizards are really responding to a specific incident where on player - Arenas - pretty clearly stepped over informal lines of propriety (not to mention the formal rules and laws that were broken in the process). In a case like that, the organization had no choice but to respond quickly and forcefully.

But it seems impossible to have one organization take on the entire social fabric of what the NBA has become: a contradictory hybrid between clean, money-making competition and urban "street" culture.

Posted by: hithere1 | January 12, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

So we're arguing for The Mighty Wizards of Anaheim? ;^)

No, good points, all. Name changing's a win-win for the Wizards, isn't it? Make cash off of both, but pretend you've taken the moral high road.

Is Gil off in the head? Should we, as one of TK's news guys said recently, treat every gun as a loaded gun? Sure. But the bottom line still seems to be that this was a horrible lapse of judgment by Arenas and the Wizards are trying to TO him out of Dodge because they don't really want to honor his contract.

Think LeBron would be erased from the Cavs if he'd played the same poorly conceived joke?

Posted by: WorstSeat | January 12, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I just hope no one from the organization who has any authority 1. reads this nonsense and/or 2. takes it seriously. Changing the music in the arena or removing the “Bullets” paraphernalia from the store would be like banning underwear on transcontinental flights. You are way off the mark on this one, Dan. Don’t encourage knee jerk reactions.

Posted by: clublvlorbetter | January 12, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

They are all a bunch of overpaid punks who happen to be able to put a round ball in a hole. Nothing but gangban*ers in uniform. Make me sick.

Posted by: nabel126 | January 12, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Dan -- you are right to point out the glaring hypocrisy displayed by the Wizards, but it is just another example of the culture of violence and degradation espoused in a lot of popular hip/hop. If this team would actually change their name from Bullets, they must have at least some violent idea about imagery and the message it can send. I would think a song that references 187 on an underover cop would be at least as troubling....

Posted by: dbunkr | January 12, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I'd only like the Bullets gear if it was in the original Baltimore orange, black & white. Nothing wrong with selling historical stuff, is there, Dan?

Posted by: shanks1 | January 12, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Steinberg is right here. This is more than music that we are talking about. These lyrics have the ability to influence our young people. A negative message can influence in a negative way. Someone has got to do a better job in choosing the music.

Posted by: bscoleman | January 12, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I have nothing against Abe, but don't forget that while he may have been disturbed by the violence in D.C., he really changed the name after one of his close friends was assasinated by a man with a gun...... and yes when I hear that song I actually start to sing the lyrics to Down Bottom.... never heard of DJ Class

Posted by: cnewso01 | January 12, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Steinberg Said: "But when, as a franchise, you go down this path of moral purity"

Who said they are going down the path of moral purity? Did the Wizards say this? I think the Wizards have made it pretty clear they understand the difference between songs (instrumentals at that) and playing with guns in the locker room.

I guess you can't do the same.....moron.

Posted by: Hondo5 | January 12, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

The Wizards should never have changed their name.

To think that the name of a sports franchise alters the decision-making of human beings in real life whether they kill one another or not is flawed logic.

The name of the team was supposed to represent the old line 'fast as a speeding bullet'.

Does anyone really think the change to an awful name 'Wizards' that has no history in sports was a great idea.

Bring back the name and the history.

At the same time, GET RID OF THE PLAYERS THAT ACT LIKE BONEHEADS.

Pollin never had a very good sense of which players to trust and build around.

Chris Webber?

Rod Strickland?

Juwan Howard?

Now, it's Gilbert Arenas with a $111M contract around the throat of the organization.

If Abe had listened to Grunfeld we wouldn't be in this mess.

Posted by: leopard09 | January 12, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

You know, I can accept that this was possibly a stupid thing to write. They're not all winners. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

I do think if you take a moral stand against the name "Bullets" while continuing to sell "Bullets" gear, it's hard to have much sympathy for your moral stand.

Posted by: DanSteinberg1 | January 12, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Damn Dude, you need to take a chill pill. It is not that serious where you break it down to the music being played. Most people there are jamming to the beat and not the words. It must be a slow news day when you have to resort to an article of this type. Get a life Dan! Or better yet, some other story because this is getting old and tired.

Posted by: ivyleague | January 12, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm. I never even realized those tunes used actual words. Nice job, Dan.

Posted by: mike8 | January 12, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Amazing that Arenas has been suspended without any legal process having started, and the players in Detroit who assaulted fans (the wrong fans, apparently) were not suspended until the process was over.

Anyhow, are you castigating the Bulzards because they play the instrumental part of a song that sounds like a different song that you object to? Assuming there is no copyright violation and the instrumentals of the songs are different, all that does is show your musical ignorance. It is not an endorsement of the lyrics to the song they didn't play.

Did I mention that I think you look like John Mohammed? How dare you show your face in public, killer? The logic is the same ...

Posted by: Nemo24601 | January 12, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Not that anyone's reading my comments here, but I'd argue not that the Wizards should change their music; I'd argue they shouldn't purge Gilbert from the world. If you think he did something wrong, suspend him, fine. But to banish his image and jersey from your arena, while he's still on your team? Because of finger gunz?

I guess my point, to the extent I had one, was that the team continues these other associations with guns that seem more harmful than a stupid joke gone wrong. If they're going to purge Gilbert references, why let this other stuff continue? Including profiting off of Bullets gear?

But like I said, this maybe wasn't my finest work.

Posted by: DanSteinberg1 | January 12, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Dead Men Do Not Wear Plaid! Or do they?
(Dan I do not know your work, like I do T.K. Stack Money and Wilbon. But you stink, I cannot believe you got to be a writer for the Post. Was it Cronyism or Nepotism? It definitely was not creativity)

Abe Pollin made most of his money off the team the Aberdeen Bullets which became the Baltimore Bullets an then the Washington Bullets. If it were not for the military workers both civilian and soldered at the proving grounds in Aberdeen Maryland THERE WOULD BE NO WASHINGTON WIZARDS. The name was only changed when the last idiot with a 100 million dollar contract became an opportunist to distract the fans while he played sub par to the pay. Juwan Howard. I know for a fact that Abe only gave in when he realized how much money could be made off of the change. I believe there were eleven corporate sponsors in doing this. Wow! We are going to get paid yelled the employees, new stadium, new logo old throw back Jersey's to pimp at Macy's for $300.00 dollars and up...

What's next in the NBA logo stigma? Detroit giving up the Piston's because so many folks have died in automobile accidents or a player hit and kill someone in his vehicle. ? Huuum, maybe I am on to something or maybe I should be writing for the Post. How did the Sports Editor let this ride? BRING BACK TONY K. BRING BACK TONY K TO SHOW THESE FOOLS HOW TO WRITE A ARTICLE CORRECTLY.

PS: IF YOU WANT TO WRITE A GOOD PIECE DO IT ON HOW YOUR PAPER WRITES ABOUT EVERY HIGH SCHOOL IN DC AND THE METROPOLITAN AREA EXCEPT DC PUBLIC SCHOOLS.

NOW GO FIRE YOURSELF.

Posted by: knjon353 | January 12, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Ummm, the original "Bullets" name came from a train in Baltimore ... you know, the Baltimore Bullet. The only way it's hypocritical would be if Gilbert was caught brandishing a locomotive.

Posted by: Diamondback1 | January 12, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Dead Men Do Not Wear Plaid! Or do they?

NOW GO FIRE YOURSELF.

Posted by: knjon353 | January 12, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Dead Men Do Not Wear Plaid! Or do they?

NOW GO FIRE YOURSELF.

Posted by: knjon353 | January 12, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Dead Men Do Not Wear Plaid! Or do they?

NOW GO FIRE YOURSELF.

Posted by: knjon353 | January 12, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Dead Men Do Not Wear Plaid! Or do they?

NOW GO FIRE YOURSELF.

Posted by: knjon353 | January 12, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

this is the example of too many sports writers in the media these days and not enough sports news to keep them occupied. I bet the WP sports writers can come up with something negative to say about this incident for the next two weeks without a darn thing new happening. Gilbert is gone. Now you want to complain each time a rap song is played at the arena. Please move on to something else. Show some creativity Dan. Dont beat a dead horse.

Posted by: ged0386 | January 12, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

To the person who wrote the below remark:

Wrong, incorrect, misinformed.....

Posted by: Diamondback1 | January 12, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------------------

Wrong, your history fails you just like most people in this country.

Also, if you are in anyway associated with the University of Maryland's Diamondback newpaper then you should do your research on why history is being distorted for example in 1984 when the history department decided that the Native Indians and Black slaves were not important enough to include in pre and post civil war history. The final comprimise was okay give them both on chapter in both era's together. Huuuuuuuum......

Posted by: knjon353 | January 12, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

So I guess if one of the Kansas City Chiefs was fired for shooting somebody with an arrow, they would be morally obligated to redesign their team logo. Or if a Raider was fired for highjacking a ship on the open seas, Oakland would have to change the name of its team. Dumb article, sir.

Posted by: clocker58 | January 12, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Dan, keep on bogging. You can't win them all and I like most of your stuff. More poop stories if you can muster it. Those are always entertaining.

Posted by: fushezzi | January 12, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Good points, and more attention should be paid to the lyrics and meaning of songs before they are played. But as you alluded to, most folks hardly pay attention to the lyrics in situations like that but are more into the beat of the song and the emotion that comes along with it--kind of like the gun-related song that they played during the Sean Taylor tribute.

Posted by: house40 | January 12, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Steinberg,

This is the most intelligent commentary I've read yet on the Wizards' hypocrisy. Great work on this blog entry.

As I've said repeatedly, the Wizards haven't the slightest idea how to run this franchise in the wake of Abe Pollin's death. There is absolutely zero doubt whatsoever that the reaction to the Arenas incident by the team (and the league) would be vastly different if Abe were still alive. Abe would likely have taken Gil into his office right after the incident was reported, explained to him his feelings on guns and such, possibly fined him, and that would have been that. I also highly doubt Gil would have joked around about it as much as he did. The league would have waited to see if Arenas was charged or convicted (and, if charges are filed, it seems unlikely he will receive a harsh penalty--obviously no jail time for first time offender with unloaded weapons) and that would be that.

Instead, the Wizards and the NBA fall to the pressure from the anti-gun zealots and Arenas is the poster boy to advance their misguided agenda.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 12, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Your analysis is way to deep for the idiots who actually listen to the music you cite. Basketball is going into the tank because of the image its players seem to love to portray. The sooner it's no longer a main-stream sport, the better.

Posted by: hacksaw | January 12, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Does Steinberg or anyone know if these words were actually broadcast at the game?

Isn't that sort of critical to the point of the article?

Posted by: kjm1971 | January 12, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Guns, ghetto rap, 'ballin, the NBA, Snoop, Dre, JayZ, 'sclades, tatoos.....its all about thug life ghetto street cred. So what do you expect? I'm done with the whole NBA ghetto thug life scene. Stern has let the show build to this end product. I hope the league collapses, if it does 96 percent of the players will be broke within a year and be in jail.

Posted by: nowhine | January 12, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Actually Dan, it's something that needs to be said. The manner in which the Wizards organization has completely whitewashed Gil's existence is ridiculous and uncalled for.

There is an unspoken for majority who is not only sick of this moral posturing by the Wizards but is questioning their fandom due to the way they have handled this situation to date.

If they continue this way and run the guy out of town that gave the Wizards some real relevance some typically very loyal fans just aren't going to come back.

Posted by: wheelpoint | January 12, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nowhine | January 12, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse
-------------------------

Seems like you were done with the whole NBA Thug Life more than a few years ago. Snoops music is no longer relevant, Dre hasn't put out an album in 7 years....Iverson and Sprewell are done for all intents and purposes. Sheed has settled down. Lebron, Kobe, Dwight Howard, Tim Duncan, Chris Paul and Dwayne Wade (the faces of the NBA arguably) are far from Thug Life.

You may want to go back to 1996 and repost this so it will be relevant.

Posted by: fushezzi | January 12, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Fushezzi, Truer words have never been spoken (well, except for the part about Dre...it's been 10 years since his last album)

Posted by: Barno1 | January 12, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wheelpoint

I agree 100% with Dan and with wheelpoint. As much as I dislike guns, I have not been able to figure out why so many people want to completely disown Gilbert. Stupid pranks are stupid pranks and need to be penalized when carried too far, but it really is overkill to completely banish his image and everything to do with him because of it. (And I did use the word overkill on purpose.) When Jason Kidd was CONVICTED of domestic abuse, his team didn't banish every clue to his existence. Why then is this victimless crime being touted as the worst thing in the world a person can do? I have been really amazed at some of the attacks that have been aimed at Gilbert. Guys, he didn't kill anyone; nor has he ever demonstrated a violent tendency. Could you put his "crime" into perspective, PLEASE?

Posted by: juliagraffam | January 12, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

if I do something six days this week than decide on the seventh to stop doing it does that make me a hypocrit. does the quantity and timing of the matter matter say something suddenly comes to our attention in a repulsive way and heretofore we were obliviuos to said thing am guilty of double talk. I think we are intellectually lazy to assert relative abolutes. there I just did it myself, what a tangled web. theres a time to live a time to die a time not to be a nuckle head and bring guns to work loaded or not especially when the owner of the franchise and his family so detested them. if gil is not smart enough to see this or get them registered how can I expect him to know when to shoot a tre or deal an assist. there I did it again

Posted by: Rvf0509 | January 13, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse