Bruce Allen wants you to buy Skins tickets

A year ago this spring, I posted the transcript of a video of Jim Zorn and Larry Michael encouraging the lucky few who had bubbled to the top of the season-ticket waitlist to buy said tickets, without delay.

Well, the new video is out (watch it here), and there are a few noteworthy parts.

* Instead of Zorn, or even Mike Shanahan introducing matters, we're treated to Bruce Allen, with a photo of his father in the background. Vinny Cerrato, to be frank, could not have handled this role

* During the top of Larry Michael's remarks--which were nearly identical to last year's--he sneaks in a "The Future Is Now!" reference, which seems to be the chosen slogan for the second time in Skins history. How that goes along with the rebuilding ethos, I still don't get.

* "With 200,000 fans on the wait-list behind you, this chance might not be yours for a long, long time," Michael said, repeating a line from last year's video. This is noteworthy only because our stories on the ticket situation from this fall said "the waiting list for general admission season tickets has 160,000 names on it," according to the team. In a radio interview at that time, General Counsel David Donovan said it was more than 160,000, while Daniel Snyder has said it's more than 200,000.

* "Many other FedEx field upgrades are scheduled, to enhance your game-day experience as well," Michael said. They're not specified.

* There are plenty of shots of cheerleaders on the new HD board, helpfully labeled "HD" so that there's no doubt on the matter.

* I'm not sure if this is new or not, but the ticket form boasts of "No contracts to sign," "Great food and beverage choices throughout the stadium," "a convenient Metro," and "Affordable seats with great views."

The full text:

Bruce Allen: Congratulations, and welcome to our team. Coach Mike Shanahan and I are excited about the upcoming season. We really are looking forward to seeing you at FedEx Field this year. Please watch this video and see how you can be a part of it.

Larry Michael: Congratulations. The future is now, and your patience has paid off. You're at the top of the waitlist, and eligible for Washington Redskins season tickets. This is a unique opportunity. Don't miss out. With 200,000 fans on the waitlist behind you, this chance might not be yours for a long, long time. Join the legions of fans who have had season tickets in their families for generations. Redskins tickets are affordable. Prices start as low as $44 a game. Season parking is available as well. it's the best value around in sports entertainment. Start your own redskins game-day tradition. Tailgate with family and fiends, and have great views of all the action each Redskins game day, and check out the sights on game day on the team's brand new, 100-foot HD picture-perfect video boards. Many other FedEx field upgrades are scheduled, to enhance your game-day experience as well. and once you're on board, our new auto-upgrade technology will upgrade your seat location faster than ever. If there's a game you can't attend, you can resell your tickets on StubHub, at any price.

"Join the team today. The wait is over. You can be part of Redskins nation in person at FedEx Field. Put down a $100 down payment per seat, and the balance will be billed later. Buy two tickets and get a free replica jersey as a gift from the team. Better yet, buy four or more tickets and we'll get you the player's autograph on the jersey. Also, as a season-ticket holder, you'll get a chance to purchase tickets to some great college football matchups, and concerts at FedEx Field, with the option to purchase prior to the general public. Seats are assigned in order deposits are received, so don't delay. Here's General Manager Bruce Allen, with the game plan on how you can join the team."

Bruce Allen: We look forward to seeing you at FedEx Field for this 2010 season. Now, to set up your account, click the button below, or just click on the video. Do it today. And don't forget, Hail to the Redskins."

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 28, 2010; 2:25 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redding says Bacsik grooved Bonds's homer
Next: Glory Days benefits from Caps' hot streak

Comments

My, my , there seems to be a quite a few empty club seats in that picture of the new proposed video screen.

If there 200,000 fans on the wait list, why are they doing mass mailings letting everyone on the list have a chance to buy seats? Just call each person on the list starting with those at the top of the list and offer them seats.

I think they finally have seen the dimming light bulb that in the not so distant future, the general admiission seats may not be all sold out. Certainly that is the case with many of the premmie seats which by the way increase as much as 6% a year in price.

Posted by: bbmcoachk | January 28, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

F Larry Michael!
F Larry Michael!
F Larry Michael!
F Larry Michael!
F Larry Michael!

Posted by: alex35332 | January 28, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about that 200,000 number! I for one asked them to remove me from their list (which I've been on since 1972) last fall. While I still love the Skins, it'll take me a while to get over the anger I feel after hearing about fans being sued, signs being banned and finding out that the waiting lists were subject to manipulation by the marketing guys. As for season tickets....NO THANKS!

Posted by: bobleme | January 28, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

"Larry Michael: Join the legions of fans who have had season tickets in their families for generations. Redskins tickets are affordable. Prices start as low as $44 a game."

1. I thought the team frowned on families keeping their seats for "generations."

2. I wonder how many total seats are available for sale, given that they are apparently in multiple price ranges.

Posted by: Cosmo06 | January 28, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Put a good product on the field and you won't have to advertise. So, I will get back to you in a few years and see if the team is worth paying money to watch in person. A "unique opportunity"? To spend that kind of money? We're in a recession, dummies.

Posted by: matthewrayman | January 28, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

The wait list is a joke. I have season tickets, have for years, and I get emails all the time regarding "Congratulations! Your name has come up..."

I guarantee the list is 1/4 of whatever number they publicly announce.

Posted by: Section104 | January 28, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Why won't the release the video of Larry Michael going down on Dan $nyder, tickling his ball sack? It's the only way Michael could ever get that job he has. What an absolute obsequious butthole licker. Maybe Dan $nyder's way of being "green" and saving a tree includes having Michael lick his hole clean after a bowel movement rather than using toilet paper. I'm just saying . . .

Posted by: VeloStrummer | January 28, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, the waitlist is a joke. I've been "fortunate" enough to bubble to the top of the list in each of the past 3 years after signing up 4 years ago. Whenever I called the only thing available was either in the Club Level or the Obstructed View seats in the lower level under the upper decks.

Posted by: rlusby49 | January 28, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I went on the waiting list about 20 years ago. My number just 2-3 years ago was 60,000+.

Lo and behold, last year I get a letter saying my number is up and I can buy season tickets.

I was shocked my number went so fast in two years after not moving at all for 18 years.

Now mind you, I wasn't overly thrilled knowing how bad traffic is at Fedex, the price of food and beverages, and the horrible traffic in and out of the stadium.

I called anyway to see what was available and much to my surprise I was told I don't get to pick my seats. I asked the lady if she was serious and she said that the have a drawing and you get what is drawn.

In other words, I can spend $500 a game times 10 games (2 pre-season and 8 regular season) for a total of $5000 per year and I might have an obstructed view?

I said thanks but I wasn't born yesterday and anyone dumb enough to play that lottery is either a Cowboy, Giant, or Eagles fan because they must be "Plain Dumb".

Guess what I received two days ago..another offer for season tickets. Guess where it is? In the trash.

I've been a Skins fan since 1972 when I watched my first Super Bowl with the Skins in it. However; I could not get excited about Shanahan as the new coach because I expect this to blow-up like everything has under Snyder and I don't want to be a disaster victim at Fedex Field 10 times a year.

Posted by: mjbrooks1963 | January 28, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Unsubscribe

and BTW, those tickets will be SO high, you can turn around and see New jersey.

Posted by: gbooksdc | January 28, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

FedEx Field is the poorest stadium in all of football. What a ridiculous joke. Skins tix were in my family for generations. Not anymore. Snyder has done every fan wrong at some point. Let alone the product on the field. A Joke. Sell those tickets to some other rich sucker.

Posted by: oneft2dice | January 28, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

in response to rlusby49: i was on the waiting list for 18 years, and had tickets for the first time in 2005. those seats were "obstructed view," lower level below the balcony. honestly, it was awesome. we got the chance to go to the stadium and literally sit in the actual seats in consideration, and we had an unobstructed view of the field - just couldn't see the scoreboards, or a high punt/kickoff when it was in the air. plenty of tv screens with the score and clock, though. also, when everyone else was getting rained/snowed on - we were dry! definitely a perk. the next year, we got our "upgrade," up in the nosebleeds - which i do love, even when it rains and we get double the drops thanks to the lights above us. (like i said - nosebleeds.) the view is great, and i'm right on the goal line... anyway, i'm not being paid to sell people on season tickets so i won't go on, but don't ignore the "obstructed view" seats. you'll likely be moved up after just one year, as we were, and it's not like you're buying sight unseen - walk into the stadium and sit in the seats yourself.

Posted by: rubyx4soho | January 29, 2010 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Don't give $nyder your money. Even if he actually decided to quit screwing-up the franchise with his egotistical mis-management, his greedy fleecing of the fans is unforgivable. Big-screen TV's and good food/beer makes watching the game at home or the bar great, and you don't have to sell your house or worry about $nyder suing you to do it either. I will never believe that he didn't know that the tickets he was suing ticketholders for, were actually being resold at a premium. $nyder...sell the team you lowlife.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | January 29, 2010 6:26 AM | Report abuse

Great food? LMAO. Dan $nyder is the kind of guy who would donate generously to the SPCA just to get access to its kennels.

Do you really think that Johnny Rockets burgers are actually made with bovine meat?

Posted by: VeloStrummer | January 29, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I didn't buy season tickets this year, put my name back on the list, and lo and behold, my name is back at the top after a whole year!

Posted by: BKCT | January 29, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

The future is now...hmmm...but the past history is classic Danny boy. The new guys can hype all they want, but they have absolutely no data to back up their hype. On the other hand, we all have 10 years of Dan Snyder bungles to prove what he doses with his team. Reality is stronger than a promo video. Sorry, once we see those W's in the column, then maybe we'll start buying tickets again. Until then, Danny boy, you've burnt one too many bridges. Now Baltimore isn't that far away...

Posted by: SorrySkins | January 29, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I didn't buy my tickets two years running and I'm still at the top, apparently. /shrug

There's lies, damned lies, statistics, and then there's Snyder's numbers. Still, as long as he's selling the place out even with losing teams, you can't argue with the profit side too much.

Doesn't matter to Snyder's wallet if the seats're empty if they're still paid for.

Posted by: WorstSeat | January 29, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

A lot of the promotions last year to win prizes on Redskins.com automatically entered you on the waiting list...So of all those, probably half of them link to hotmail accounts no one uses and home addresses like "123 Fake St., Springfield, USA

Posted by: HogsHaven | January 29, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

This is the 3rd time in 4 years that I've been "at the top of the wait list". The first time took 20 or so years. The other 2, not so long. The waiting list is fake. The future is not now. Sorry, Danny, I've given my money to the Caps and I don't think I'll be coming back.

Posted by: didnik | January 30, 2010 3:28 AM | Report abuse

I don't think their time is now but it's nice to see Bruce Allen embrace his role.

Posted by: Dlewis10 | January 30, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

I entered a "contest" to win tickets to a game that REQUIRED me to put my name on the waiting list. Lucky me, within 1 1/2 weeks, I got a call offering me special $4000 per season tickets. Thank you, but no.

Posted by: jburnetti | January 31, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand. With 200,000 in the season ticket waiting list, why do they need to hustle anyine to buy them? I had general admission season tickets in 2007 and gave them up. The Redskins ticket office is constantly offering me the same tickets back at the same price. To me, this doesn't sound like there's a waiting list at all.

Posted by: RalphZero | February 1, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jburnetti | January 31, 2010 10:31 PM
==============================
Isnt there an FTC law against such sham contests?

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 2, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse