Caps fans in Miami, and a Gordie Howe Hat Trick

(Images from AP, Getty and my television.)

Two things I took away from the Caps' comeback win in Miami Wednesday night.

1) When Tomas Fleischmann was skating in for his winning moment in the skills competition, you could see at least four Caps fans in the background getting ready to stand and celebrate. As he skated around the rink, it was easy to see various red blurs rising to their feet and clapping.

And in fact, just about every image from the game seemed to include at least one Caps fan in the background. No, it wasn't Steelers-fans-in-FedEx levels. No, it wasn't Sabres-fans-in-Chinatown levels, either. Yes, a lot of Northern teams fill up the arenas of these Southern franchises. But whatever. Alex Ovechkin has the fastest-selling jersey in the NHL, ahead of Crosby and Malkin, despite that fact that jerseys constitute formal attire in Western Pennsylvania. We're allowed to feel good about red jerseys in Sunrise.

2) Jason Chimera getting a Gordie Howe Hat Trick was a reminder of how fun it is to type the phrase "Gordie Howe Hat Trick."

"Guys were kind of ripping me about the Gordie Howe Hat Trick," Chimera told Mike Vogel after the game. "Any time you can help your team, no matter what it is, it's nice to help out."

Vogel asked Chimera when his last GHHT was; "I can't even remember," the winger said. "There's not too much fighting nowadays, so I don't know, can't remember the last one I had, but it's just nice to have one."

Well, I don't know either, but I do know that three Septembers ago, Chimera notched a goal, two assists and two fights. In an exhibition. That's like a Gordie Howe Exhibitional Five Spot. The Columbus Dispatch marked the occasion with this dialog:

Reporter: "Do you prefer Gordon or Gordie?"

Chimera: "Mr. Howe would be fine."

(Actually, Japers Rink researched the issue; this was Chimera's first GHHT.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 14, 2010; 12:01 PM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Haynesworth: "I'm not Superman"
Next: Why you still love Bugel and the Hogs

Comments

go Caps. Caps fans travel well to the southest division games. we usually get a couple in during March...we're down there for Nats spring training anyway...and the arenas in TB and FLA always have a good sprinkling of Cpas sweaters.

thanks Steinz.

Posted by: bottomfeeders10 | January 14, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Ok, can we get a ruling on the Montreal sweater???

What's that one doing there???

Posted by: CapsNut | January 14, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

sabres fans in chinatown? thats so 2005 stein. last game vs sabres was pretty minimal out of town attendance.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | January 14, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I didn't know people still shopped at the Gap.

Posted by: HogsHaven | January 14, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I see some Russian jersey's in there to.

Posted by: EricS2 | January 14, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

When the Caps scored the tying goal in the third, I was in another room. Based on the cheering going on, I assumed Florida had scored again.

Posted by: JohninMpls | January 14, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I think we need to get a ruling on the 27 year old wearing a GAP sweatshirt to a hockey game...with front row seats.

Posted by: Section104 | January 14, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Steinberg be blogging about the Caps. Good man. Good man.

Notice how when the Caps have a shootout, it is the healthy type.

And that quote about Western PA was priceless............

Posted by: CF11555 | January 14, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Give the guy a break. I don't think people in South Florida have too much need for fashionable cold-weather gear.

Posted by: JMSinCHeights | January 14, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsportsfan1

i have to disagree. i was surrounded by a ton of buffalo fans behind the net where buffalo shot twice. It seemed like the two sections to my left were filled with them as well. Also, in NOV when we shut them out, they were everywhere.

Thankfully both games we got to watch the fans grovel and pout.

Posted by: Bike2work | January 14, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Sabres fans are the ultimate bandwagoners. When the team isn't doing well, there are none of them. 06, 07? Quite a few. Last year? A ghost town. They are doing better this year and they show up again.

Posted by: FlyersSuck | January 14, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

be kind to the Buffalo fans.

they lost their basketball team years ago.

they have no baseball team.

the Sabres lost Briere and Drury and don't have the budget to keep their stars.

and the Bills are in such bad shape financially no one wants to accept an interview for the head coaching job before their move to LA.

Posted by: leopard09 | January 14, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I don't see what the big deal is; with all due respect, it's hockey.

Posted by: Section117 | January 14, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

My sister was at the game in Atlanta Saturday and said there were a healthy number of Caps fans. Interestingly enough, there also seemed to be a number of Caps fans at the game in Edmonton a few weeks ago.

Posted by: TheFingerman | January 14, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

"Notice how when the Caps have a shootout, it is the healthy type."

now that's a great line CF11555

Posted by: jpfterps | January 14, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I don't see what the big deal is; with all due respect, it's hockey.

Posted by: Section117 | January 14, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Wrong! It's the good ole hockey game and it's a really big deal. They are also the only winning team in town to include DC United. I say that because I sit in section 115 and things aren't looking very good right now for DC United.

Posted by: croftonpost | January 14, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Ted prefers coming back from three goals down to winning 8-1.

Posted by: BobLHead | January 14, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Haha @croftonpost -- you haven't been paying attention the last few days, have you?

Posted by: Scott_in_Shaw | January 14, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

On all the road games I've been on this year there have been quite a large amount of Caps fans. Definitely more than I expected. And yeah, mostly OV jerseys. In Detroit I saw a bunch of kids wearing his jersey. NJ and Philly had a lot of fans, but they are close so it doesn't count as much. Caps fans are traveling more as well as growing in out of town markets. Thank you OV! :)

Posted by: TheRealDuffman | January 14, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

What, no Sex Panther fan flashing her TaTa's for the jumbotron last night. Florida fans have really become boring.

Posted by: madflava | January 14, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

@croftonpost,

Don't even acknowledge Section 117. He's an a$$clown who doesn't know how to type anything other then "It's only hockey"

He'd probalby say that if you were trashing Cindy Crybaby too.

Posted by: jwash4472 | January 14, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

No GHHTs for Chimera

Posted by: greenmachine | January 14, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

The ruling on the Montreal jersey is that Ovie was in town. They like him up there (though not as much as Sid or Vinny).

Posted by: Raber | January 14, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I actually remember seeing a ton of Caps jerseys on in the crowd on TV when they were in LA. It has been quite noticeable in whatever city they've been in though.

I was at the season opener in Boston, and there were Caps fans in every section of the stadium. It was fun nodding to other Caps fans you'd go by as well.

This team travels very well now, and that is beautiful thing. I would wonder how well the Wizards travel, but with all due respect, it's just basketball.

Posted by: Capcrazy77 | January 14, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

My wife and I were at the LA game (flew down from Portland where we currently live). Not only were there a lot of Caps jerseys in the crowd, there were a lot of Caps fans at the practice facility the day before.

It was mostly Ovie jerseys, but there was a couple in front of us with Hunter and Beaupre.

Posted by: DZ-0151 | January 14, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Thankfully both games we got to watch the fans grovel and pout.

Posted by: Bike2work | January 14, 2010 1:05 PM

I was at the Nov game and there were not a lot of slugs fans there. I wasn't behind the net, but there were only a handful in my section and the adjacent ones.

Posted by: Chase4 | January 14, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

One thing I like about the current divisional alignment is that the Caps are the oldest franchise, with the largest fan base. In this town we have to contend so often with fans of the visiting teams in all other professional sports; it's nice to be able to turn the tables occasionally.

Posted by: dthenry | January 14, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

You do see a lot of Caps jerseys in visiting rinks now a days. It's all Ovechkin. Leonsis should get down on his knees every night and thank God for Ovechkin.

Posted by: poguesmahone | January 15, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

The two guys on the left with arrows in that last screenshot are longtime season ticket holders in section 105. Very cool to see them with something to celebrate at the end after seeing them on TV during the debacle the night before.

Posted by: Goat_74 | January 15, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse