Caps practice vs. Wiz game

Want further proof that D.C. likes winning teams? On Monday, a federal holiday, the Caps held a practice at approximately the same time that the Wizards held a game. The Caps' practice was free, and in Ballston. The Wiz game wasn't free, and was in D.C.

The Wizards game drew an announced attendance of a bit over 12,000, which is obviously a lot more than the Caps practice drew. Still, the above image is from shortly before the Wiz game, via @BulletsForever. (And yes, the Wizards have always had a late-arriving crowd, I realize that.) The below image is from Ballston, shortly before the Caps practice ended. Different vibe.

All things being equal, the Wizards are more popular than the Caps in this town. But all things sure aren't equal right now.

(Via ESPN.com, the Caps are averaging 18,277 at home, 11th in the NHL, and the Wiz are averaging 16,799, 18th in the NBA.)

(Should note that the Caps' 18,277 is building capacity, so it'd be hard for them to go too much higher up this list.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 19, 2010; 11:17 AM ET
Categories:  Caps , Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Antawn Jamison's championship dreams
Next: Caps fan bloodied by flying puck

Comments

Dan, enough is enough. I think you have beat up on the Wiz enough for now. They need our support and not to be ridiculed. They are trying. I was at the game and as you mentioned, most Wiz games, the fans arrive late and there a whole lot more fans at the game than your picture seems to indicate. What is the point to this column anyway??? GO WIZ!!!!

Posted by: ivyleague | January 19, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

zards don't get my support until they burn them aqua uniforms. This sports town was built on Red!

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Some of us even go to practices in the fall months too. Pity the non-beat (and TV) press don't do the same.

Posted by: Section117 | January 19, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Don't know what you mean by the comment that all things being equal, the Wizards are more popular than the Caps "in this town.". If you mean DC proper, I agree. If you include the DC suburbs, no friggin' way.

Posted by: poguesmahone | January 19, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

By the way, Boswell was right on in his column today. No one wants to say it, but Abe Pollin was an AWFUL owner. The Wiz have been terribly run for years.

Posted by: poguesmahone | January 19, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

The Caps may be ranked 11th in raw attendance, but 18,277 means they've sold out every game.

Posted by: RedBirdie | January 19, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: poguesmahone | January 19, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

True but he was a good human being, which is more then we get out of another owner of recent times.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

If you offer 2 free tickets to a Wiz game, and 2 free tickets to a Caps game, anyone in DC will take the Caps game anytime.

Even if you dont like hockey, you take the Caps tickets and try to make some money on the street.

Posted by: SA-Town | January 19, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Might help is the wiz lowered their prices a bit. 40 bucks is a lot to ask to sit upstairs for a basketball game. I know they do internet specials sometimes, but why not all the time? Heck, I'd go to a game or two for 10 bucks.

I guess the Caps have the 11th biggets barn in the league, thoguh I swear that number seems low.

Posted by: EricS2 | January 19, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

This is so dumb. A picture from "shortly before the Wiz game"? Seriously? Wow, just wow.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 19, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: poguesmahone | January 19, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

One can only assume you moved to the DC area in the last 2 years. You simply don't know what you're talking about.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 19, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

And Barno, you obviously didn't live here in the 1980s and early 1990s, when the Caps routinely outdrew the Wizards in attendance at the Cap Centre (and it wasn't even close). Only when Jordan arrived did the Wizards start outdrawing the Caps consistently.

Posted by: poguesmahone | January 19, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheFingerman | January 19, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I think I get the term "All things being equal".

I think it would mean "if they both were playing around a .500 level, with no big stories like gilbert or (the inverse) Ovie"

Basically the question comes down to, do more washingtonians understand Basketball of Hockey.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 19, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I think all Steinberg is getting at is that DC loves a winner... and doesn't care about its losers. (minus the redskins) I mean, its a political town...

I think a better comparison would be to record the noise decibel level for the peak moment of the Wiz run to pull away from Portland yesterday vs. the decibel level right after OV was awarded the penalty shot against Philly on Sunday. I think the pictures above would pretty much represent the difference in those figures as well.

Posted by: rademaar | January 19, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rademaar | January 19, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Another way to put this: DC is full of fairweather fans.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 19, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Another way to put this: DC is full of people from other places, so take pride in the fact that a local team is filling up the phonebooth with fans of THE HOME TEAM every game. It's a lovely thing to see in the Baltimore/Washington area.

(And *I* did not move here 2 years ago, I was born in DC.)

Posted by: M__N | January 19, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I always here that DC is a transient city full of people from other places. And I have always found this to be such a lame and weak excuse. There are millions of people living in the DC metro area who have been here for years and years, many of whom support our teams regardless of whether they win or lose. But there are many others who have also lived here for years but yet are only interested in supporting a winning team. These people are called "fairweather" fans and are among the worst people on earth.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 19, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I love the Wizards but that is pretty sad. But give credit to the 12,000 some fans at the Monday game vs. Portland. When the Wizards made their run toward the end, it was actually really loud.

Posted by: rachel216 | January 19, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

i dont care how late a crowd is arriving, thats bad. no way the entire UPPER BOWL arrived at 7:03pm to catch the opening tip-off.

if you havent already, get yourself to a Caps game and see what winning is all about.

Posted by: hubcop84 | January 19, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

no way the entire UPPER BOWL arrived at 7:03pm to catch the opening tip-off.

Posted by: hubcop84 | January 19, 2010 3:52 PM

You're right there - since the game started at 1pm yesterday.

And the Caps have won exactly the same thing as the Wizards (in the postseason) over the past 10 years - one playoff series. Let's hope for more this season, but don't pretend this is Hockeytown USA. It's a city with an awesome, exciting player and very well marketed team.

I'm looking forward to some of that Leonsis marketing for the Wizards/Bullets in 2010.

Posted by: Kev29 | January 19, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

People like Barno are living in 1978. They refuse to believe that the DC sports market has changed over time. They have their heads up their respective behinds.

Posted by: poguesmahone | January 19, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Agree with rachel above...

When the wizards needed some noise in the 4th quarter, the fans delivered.

I was at the game, the picture in this blog post is misleading- there were at least twice as many people in the lower seats by the time every one was seated.

There were, however, a fair number of Portland fans....

Posted by: petworthvile | January 20, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: poguesmahone | January 19, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

That's weird, because I was barely alive in 1978 and have no real idea what the dc sports scene was like back then except from what i've read.

The sports market has changed only in that the Caps now sell out games when they used to have really weak crowds before. Other than that, this is still a Redskins-dominated town with basketball (pro and college) a distant second.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 20, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

The Wiz can get my support when they clean up their team and stop finishing dead last(or near last) in the standings.

Between the Michael Jordan fiasco and the Arenas scandal I don't have a lot of confidence in that organization.

I'm not a big fan of basketball or the nba, so I'm a little more than bias in saying I like the redskins more than the Wiz.

Posted by: breaklance | January 20, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

So Barno, you're barely 30 years old and your going to tell others how the sports market has or hasn't changed? Isn't it time for your diapers to be changed?

Posted by: poguesmahone | January 22, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse