Capstronaut in the owner's box

"Caps vs. Maple Leafs - you must come join us in the Owner's Box," Ted Leonsis wrote on Friday. "We serve Tang with dinner. If you are at the game tonight, just come on in. Find me. You are welcomed. Astronauts are true American heroes in my book."

That didn't take long. And the camera sure wasn't shy about showing the dancing Capstronaut in the owner's box. I promise this won't be a daily feature, but I did want to note that the Capstronaut's record at the Verizon Center is now 5-0. That means he has more wins than the Redskins did last season.

Of course, he wasn't the only fan the camera loved. The camera really, really loved these Dancing Swedes. With good reason. The dance seemed to get a bit more reckless as the night went on.

And then there was this guy. Interesting t-shirt to wear to the Verizon Center on the day Gilbert pleaded guilty to that felony gun charge.

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 16, 2010; 8:07 AM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gilbert Arenas's day in court
Next: Clinton Portis in Wale's music video

Comments

There was also a guy in Sect 105 wearing an Arenas jersey.

Posted by: CapsChick | January 16, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

they showed the caps365 video of the capstronaut set to rocket man on the jumbotron during the game.

Posted by: bflo | January 16, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Among other reasons to like Ted Leonsis as an owner is seeing him relaxing in a pair of jeans and a Caps sweater. Why don't we see more professional sports team owners looking like they are actually having a good time? The owner's box at FedEx looks like a hearing room on Capitol Hill. Loosen up...it is entertainment, not a debate on health care reform.

Posted by: Ebola_22039 | January 16, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Ebola_22039 says "Among other reasons to like Ted Leonsis as an owner is seeing him relaxing in a pair of jeans and a Caps sweater"
WOW, leonsis must of lost a lot of weight and got 20 years younger, but it is cool to see him do that, synder would never do that

Posted by: feltym5 | January 16, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Snyder would try to be "cool," but he'd tuck his jersey into his jeans and look like a goofy little old man.

Great game last night...can't wait to get my 10 free wings at Glory Days!

Posted by: Section104 | January 16, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

@Ebola_22039

If you think that is Leonsis, you are a MEGADONK

Posted by: gfsportsfan | January 16, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

OK, maybe I did not have enough coffee this morning, but it is really not a great picture. It could be Ted if you squinted really hard.

Posted by: Ebola_22039 | January 16, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Next caps game I'm going to, I'll have a sign with one of these phrases:

"OV won't shoot me"
"Shoot goals, not guns"

Inspired by a pic in the post a while ago with a man in the seats of a wizards game with a sign reading "Arenas, don't shoot!"

Posted by: j762 | January 16, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I was at the caps game last night and I feel like I heard some boos from fans when they showed the capstronaut.

Posted by: gandorfdapirate | January 16, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

The guy wearing that DC t shirt must be a fan of Arlington based reggae band SOJA.. saw that shirt on sale at one of their concerts.

Posted by: bmc153 | January 16, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

This kind of loonyness is emblematic of a team that has things going. Fans are into it, Players are into it, Owner is into it. THAT is why the Caps are the hottest ticket in town and seemingly will be for the foreseeable future.

Posted by: poguesmahone | January 16, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

@gandorfdapirate

From where I was up in the rafters, it definitely seemed like there was a lot of awkward silence and some scattered booing. I thought the whole thing was funny, but I also felt like I was a distinct minority in my section.

I think there's some underlying resentment at the Capstronaut for his (ahem) meteoric rise to prominence, especially when compared to the veteran hardcore fans (e.g. Horn Guy).

Posted by: automatic | January 17, 2010 12:47 AM | Report abuse

I was watching the game at home and *loved* the dancing Swedes. LOL I agree that they definitely seemed to get more into it as the game went on.

Posted by: SlugGirl69 | January 17, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

The Caps games are an event now. Loved the Swedes,Capstronaut etc. But,I love the spirited play the most. This is truly a special group of players.I still worry they are a rugged D Man short and what they would have to give up to get him at the deadline.

Posted by: ridgely1 | January 18, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

No doubt that Caps games are the place to be. That's partly because the other local teams are so woeful. But it is to the Caps credit that they are capitalizing (no pun intended) on the opportunity to raise their profile and build their fan base in a big way.

Posted by: poguesmahone | January 18, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

There were more boos than cheers for the Capstronaut.

Posted by: HeShootsHeScores | January 18, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Okay I'll be the first then.I cannot stand the Astronaut guy. I guess I need to come up with a gimmick to to get in the owners box.This astronaut idiot has absoulutly nothing to do with a hockey theme.

Posted by: washingtoncapitals | January 18, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, who thinks the guy in the Carlson jersey next to the Capstronaut is Leonsis? WTF? Are you that stupid? Have you ever seen our owner? I have, and that's not him. You might want to look up Lenosis, Ted on Google

Posted by: jmurray019 | January 18, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

This Bog entry wasn't really about the game so much as the event of going to a Caps game but, MAN! that was a fun night. For that matter, the past two and a half years have been lots of fun. It's been great watching the Phone Booth become a sea of Rocking Red Fury with all the assorted accoutrements. C-A-P-S! Caps, Caps, Caps!

Posted by: Kdarienzo | January 19, 2010 6:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SlugGirl69 | January 17, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse
------------------------------

Funny how beer works.

Posted by: HowdyDCU | January 19, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I don't see the problem some people have with the Capstronaut showing his enthusiasm in a different way. I'd rather have him than the family I sat in front of last April during one of the games against the Rangers and they failed to do any of the chants and just looked disapprovingly at the people around them who participated in the chants. What killed it for me even more were the girls who watched the game like they were at a Jonas Brothers concert, fawning over the players rather than paying attention to the game. That's more pathetic and deserving of your collective ire than the Capstronaut.

Go Caps! Go Capstronaut!

Boo, unspirited seat fillers and teeny bopper girls hoping to make Alexander Semin or Nicklas Backstrom their boyfriends! Ick.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | January 19, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse