Cooley: Black Redskins uniforms?

Official Redskins blogger Matt Terl took great pains on Wednesday to tell the fan base that there is no news regarding a new team uniform. None.

"I've asked around a little bit at Redskins Park, and no one has heard anything about any changes to the helmet, the jersey, the colors...nothing," Terl wrote.

But fans apparently aren't the only ones dreaming of new outfits. Chris Cooley was asked about the rumors during his NFL.com chat Wednesday afternoon, and his response was striking.

I've heard something about black. I know everyone likes the original white Redskins jersey. But it would be awesome to change it up every once in a while.

Black? The Redskins? Not awesome, in my view. I wasn't much of a fan of the burgundy-on-burgundy, either. Seems to be the original look still works just fine.

UPDATE: Terl reiterates that no changes are planned, and links to a rebranding and updated third uniform initiative that was considered a half-decade ago. It's ghastly.

In other news from Cooley's chat, he would be Hugh Hefner if he could switch jobs with anybody for a day, he used to sleep in a full Broncos uniform, his ankle is completely healed and allows him to jog six miles, and he wants to finish his career in D.C.

I can't imagine going an anywhere else or playing for another team. I hope I've done enough in D.C. to play my entire career as a Redskin. It sucks to hear our fans talk about me going anywhere else, regardless of what kind of trade value there is.

Cooley also promises to be in the Caps dressing room popping the champagne if they win a Cup. "Leoncis is the man," he wrote.

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 28, 2010; 8:55 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Evening Bog: Riggleman's pants, Dibble's pushups
Next: The last time the Caps won eight straight

Comments

A few years ago I saw a graphic on an ad for the Redskins that had the helmet with a black facemask and black stripes. Before I could grab it, it went away. It wasn't drastic, kind of like what the black trim the Lions added earlier this decade.

Posted by: doubleuefwhy | January 28, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

So some universal common themes we always seem to get with the "change the Uniforms" looks.

1. The fans always seem to go for a darker Burgundy than our cherry uniforms we have had since the 80's. I get in debates all the time with people about the uniform colors, non-locals say its maroon or red, (it was not just Zorn who did it)

2. Lots of gold pants, supporters out there. Either our canary yellow or the mustard gold of the 70th aniv. Any time you see someone design a new uniform you have better than a 50/50 chance they will go for a Burgundy top and gold bottom.

3. A small contingent of people seem to be against any change because of the name issue. Though A and B don't have anything to do with each other I just see it come up a bit. But in any debate about changing the look I see that as well.

I personally don't care for any of the "Modern" looks, they will be dated in about 3-5 years. And when Arizona, Minnisota and Atlanta changed to these looks, it seemed unpopular. Though some of the pinstripe thin looks are nicer, at least less gaudy. I will always be a neo-retro guy like what we did for the 70th and 75th aniv. looks.

But IMHO, keep the indian head logo, and any color other than Burgundy Gold and White is forever banned. I like the idea of having Burgundy Gold and White pants to rotate with either White or Burgundy Jerseys. Have 1 throwback helmet each year and rotate every season between "the R" the "Spear" and "Feather"

Posted by: alex35332 | January 28, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I enjoyed the Burgundy on Burgundy. For the simple fact it was something different.

I would have enjoyed it more if we actually had won one of those games.

I think bringing back the Gold would pretty awesome. Black is cool too. Just something to mix it up a bit.

We don't have an alternate jersey and it would be nice to have one.

At the same time, I enjoy the traditional look. So if we add something I will be happy and if we don't it will just fine.

Posted by: SmallPen15 | January 28, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

For an alternate jersey I was thinking maybe you take the white sleeves from one jersey and the burgundy selves from a jersey and just swap them every once in a while.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 28, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Maybe everyone can wear gold-laced shoes, except Portis and Moss, who will then get fined.

I loved the "R" helmet and yellow pants we wore on the 75th anniversary. I say we play with those a game or two, but keep the traditional look...it's the best.

Posted by: Section104 | January 28, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

team colors are team colors.these players need to think about winning some games,not the color of the uniform.the red on red looks like a third rate college team.they also havent won a game with red on red. if any thing they should go back to burgandy and gold.

Posted by: DLESMonday | January 28, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I think a gold (yellow) jersey could be cool. For example, look at WVU's yellow jerseys.

I'm not against any permanent changes, but I think that would be a decent alternate.

Posted by: MyOpinionIs | January 28, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I am a minority, never liked the yellow R helmet, I love the logo, and would be in favor of using it on jerseys and stuff but a yellow helmet is just odd to me.

I would like to see them go out and use a updated version of http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31a%2BDSQH-cL._SL500_AA280_.jpg for a game.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 28, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

when you say yellow jersey I just think about the QB practice jersey. It works okay with red pants. I would think if it as an away jersey for some reason. (that would be an interesting idea actually, wear that on the road rather than a white uniform.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 28, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

They should rename the team the Warriors and go back to the arrow helmet throwback jerseys. Just slight change to the fight song as well...Hail to the Warriors!

Posted by: MrWillie | January 28, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I think you first have to let the NFL know at least 1-2 years in advance of a uniform change, so I don't think the Skins will be going like The Raiders anytime soon.

Posted by: ENJOYA | January 28, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

snyder will create an alternate jersey this year just bc he hears all the chatter and bc its a great chance to sell even more jerseys.

cooley, i hope youre a skin for life too. anyone that wants you traded is an idiot.

Posted by: follybeach | January 28, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Think Cooley is harking back to the "good old days" of the "burgandy and black."

Somebody needs to clue him in that those days are (thankfully) now long gone -- and rather than focus on our feng shui, karma, zen, mediumship, practice music or whatever else the former coach was wasting so much of his time on -- perhaps it's time to get back to basics of playing good football and think about such mundane tasks as blocking, tackling and execution.

Also think that all of these old timer and alternate color jerseys are nothing more than a marketing ploy to sell more team merchandise... and the last thing that Little Danny Snotrag and his cronies need is another buck from yours truly.

Posted by: Vic1 | January 28, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Anything black would look dumb. And lose the burgandy on burgandy. We seem to get crushed when we wear that crap.

Stick with the white jerseys. Don't change just for the sake of change.

Posted by: peterandmeredith | January 28, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

If you go to terl, then to the site, then to the third page of that rolling view, there is a link to a PDF. It has all the options etc.

Page five is alright. As is the first 3rd jersey in the last pages, which is essentially our current scheme just with black jersey.

None of the black helmets look good. But overall, I think there needs to be a third jersey (i have a gray one from the 2008 storm gear collection, not bad)and I like black for monday night games (i.e the ravens and eagles, which get to wear theirs when they come here cause we wear white at home...) and keep the 5 year special anni jerseys coming... I have 75th and 70th...

Posted by: Zeebs | January 28, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

To elaborate, go to skins.com, there is a link to the company that made these pics, click there, then there is a page next thingy at the bottom, go to page three. In the text next to it is a PDF link

Posted by: Zeebs | January 28, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

here

Posted by: Zeebs | January 28, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

If there is to be a uniform change, take it back to the burgundy tops, gold pants, and helmet with the arrow on it. You can use the uniform with the canary yellow pants and the featheres "R" on he helmet as an alternate third uniform.

Posted by: poeticfire | January 28, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

If there will ever be a uniform change, we should just wear the throwback jersey's from the 1994 season (NFL's 75th Anniversar Year). That season the Redskins wore the 1937 Championship Jerseys. It was very basic. Burgundy jerseys with the Redskins emblem on the sleve, with gold numbers, and gold name on the back, with gold (not yellow) pants. The helmet can keep the same image as we have now, but make the burgundy a little bit darker, and changed the line in the middle of the helmet to gold. Keep it simple and classy, like the Giants did when they decided to go retro.

Posted by: RedskinAddict | January 28, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I am a die hard Skins fan but hate our colors and uniforms. Anything we can do to change it up from the past 50 years would be nice.

Posted by: tywill28 | January 28, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

The burgundy on burgundy is horrible. The white on white is horrible. They both look like a bad college uniform -and to me it also shows that the inmates (players) are running the asylum. I think it was actually Lavar Arrington way back when that made the decision to switch to burgundy on burgundy. It's just plain ugly. Black would be another indication to me that this franchise is floundering and grasping at straws and dictated to by urban influences and styles rather than the traditional, Redskin burgundy and gold that this franchise and its fans have always taken pride in wearing. The Skins aren't black - they're burgundy and gold and always should be. Ridiculous.

Posted by: AsstGM | January 28, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

somebody must have been listening. One of my first posts on Shanny was asking would he do something to upgrade the burgundy and gold's current unis... I seem to vaguely remember he had a hand in the Broncos new look. I liked the deep burgundy throwback, but black jersey's would be welcomed as well. Being kind of superstitious, I wanted them to change if for no other reason, I remember too many extemely bad losses in the current burgundy tops.

Posted by: SkinzNWiz | January 28, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Personally I'd be up for Burgundy and Gold instead the last 20 years of Burgundy and School Bus Yellow.

Posted by: richs91 | January 28, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

No maroon and.... er..never mind, he's gone.

Posted by: 1of9000 | January 28, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Look at the whole thing. There alot there.

Posted by: Alleyezon4 | January 28, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

How about gold pants? you know...like FSU, Notre Dame? The arrows on the helmet was one of the best, IMO.

Posted by: scmonty1 | January 28, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Redskins ought to have the GENIUS's face pasted on the seat of the uniforms. It would have a certain poetry.

Posted by: atidwell | January 28, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I really wish people would stop talking about changing the uniforms! They are perfect the way that they are! Lets get the team going in the right direction with its players and roster and hope that they can win some games! Please leave the uniforms the way they are,PLEASE!! I love that indian head on the helmet!
BTW F-Dallas and F-Romo!!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | January 28, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm all for a change, as long as they have someone who knows something about colors come in and advise them. Some of these older teams need to be freed of their anachronistic colors. Denver and Tampa bay did it and their old unies look ridiculous now.

Posted by: allknowingguy | January 28, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Zorn knew something we didn't during his ill-fated press conference two years ago.

But seriously, those uniforms seen in the link are hideous. The team would be well advised to never change from the current template.

Posted by: drischord | January 28, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

yes, the skins are long overdue for a uniform change - go back to the spear helmet uniforms and a change to white shoes would be a nice touch too

Posted by: coparker5 | January 29, 2010 12:39 AM | Report abuse

BURGUNDY PANTS WITH BURGUNDY JERSEYS AND THE ARROW BURGUNDY HELMET DO IT FOR ME. THE FLORIDA STATE LOOK! YES COOLEY, LEONSIS IS THE MAN - AND THE BEST OWNER IN WASHINGTON RIGHT NOW.

Posted by: PinotNoir | January 29, 2010 1:05 AM | Report abuse

This is what a lot of people want. I like it, but too much Florida State.

Posted by: ATLredskin | January 29, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

IMHO, the 70th Anniversary uniform is the best Skins uniform EVER!!! It uses actual burgandy and gold colors, not red and yellow. The arrowhead is much more aggressive (and less offensive IMO) than the face. I use it exclusively on Madden. Sure, it looks like FL State when they go with the white jearseys but this franchise needs something new.

Posted by: gbraxton7 | January 29, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Here's the deal. Drop Redskins nickname, buy naming rights from the Wizards and presto, the new Washington Football Bullets. The best unused nickname in sports and darn let's use it.

Posted by: getitritegov | January 29, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Love the spear helmet with some variation of burgundy, gold and white. Black would be ok but only as a change up third uniform. Red, cherry, and school bus yellow have got to GO! For future years, the "throw back" would be to uniforms worn in Superbowls.

Posted by: Wolves1 | January 29, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I really think that the team should look into the effects of color psychology on both the home and visiting teams. Why has the team lost so many meaningless games, in past years prior to Zorn's tenure with the team? I think that the work-in-progress offenses that the team has assembled, while searching or trying to develope their franchise quaterback, only ressemble the likings of a matador, waving the red cape in front of the opposition that's been so eagerly willing to stuff the scrimmage line to claim it's prey.

Historically, the color red should give the person wearing it an edge in any combative situation, but somehow that just doesn't fit in the D.C. football battle field. Joe Gibbs liked the all white combination and it sure wasn't to wave the white flag of mercy and to just give up. He obviously had his own interpretation of the bull and his rage towards the red target in his sights.

Perhaps a newer, sleeker color scheme / combination could go better with the new regiment and the new HD boards. Is camouflage an option?

Hail to the Redskins!

Posted by: enrgred | January 29, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

One change I would like to see is to go back to the gold facemasks. when I see replays of games in the 80's, the defenders just looked meaner than today's team. The unis are the same today except they've gone to a grey facemask. Bring back the gold facemask and bring back the mean look.

Posted by: unquiltom | January 29, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I think that changing the name to the warriors and changing the helmet to the FSU arrowhead would probably be the best. But for whatever reason no one wants to do so. This would appease Native American groups and at the sametime help to establish a new tradition in DC.

Posted by: mudd94 | January 29, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

If we must change I vote for the the 70th Anniversary uniform with the spear on the helment and burgandy and gold colors.. It's a throw back to the late 60's of Sonny's and Sam Huffs time. But I'd also want to keep the logo the Indian head (like we always had).. much like the Vikings keep their head as a logo but have the horns on the helment..

Posted by: sovine08 | January 29, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Oh and NO BLACK UNIFORMS!!! The Redskins colors are NOT BLACK!!! There is no need to THUG UP the uniforms..

Posted by: sovine08 | January 29, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Ive been a fan for 35 years. When you talk about rebranding....what a GREAT idea. Time for everything to be new. I love the burgundy on burgundy, why...because it's not the same ole loosing look. I'm tired of old loosing redskin football. While you are at it, lets get a new broadcast crew. An exicting play by play man with some articulation skills. Team him up with some younger voices. Let the 60's and 70's go down with the sunset. "touchdown...touchdown redskins"...really? is that the best we can get.

Posted by: CROSSHugger | January 29, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Quit screwing around with the uniforms. They are suppose to be Burgandy & Gold. White jerseys at home and Burgandy on the road. We have the best looking uniforms in the league, let's not mess things up......STOP IT!

Posted by: raca1234 | January 29, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Okay, once it would be cool but that's all. I'd probably buy one (if Danny doesn't find some way to piss me off first. It would be the first Redskins merchandise I bought since Gregg Williams was on the staff).
Skins are Burgundy and Gold.

Posted by: kls1 | January 30, 2010 12:28 AM | Report abuse

I would love to see black integrated into the skins uniform, that would freakin nice! I always wished the skins would add allot of black to their uniforms...I even like the burgundy on burgundy look but adding black would do the trick and would more than likely sell more skins clothing merchandise.

Posted by: cpbm05 | January 30, 2010 1:58 AM | Report abuse

We need to take baby steps...First thing, is get rid of the ugly "yellow" facemask...Switch it to bugandy...

Posted by: LANNYJ29 | January 30, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

why not just "modernize the uniform by using a colored trim (a line going across the chest and down the sides) for instance: white jersey with burgandy numbers and then a gold trim. this is very simple and up to date. i def. wouldn't want to be the cheifs though. they need a bit of an update too!

Posted by: purplefilms | January 30, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

The worst of all are the all-white uniforms. Why not send up a white flag at the beginning of the game and be done with it? And please don't do what the Rams did. Their switch to the true gold really killed their look, IMHO. For those who are set on seeing a lot more gold, how would it look if they put gold numbers on the burgundy jersey?

(If memory serves, George Allen adopted the home white jersey and burgundy pants so the Cowboys would have to wear their "away" jerseys at RFK, which at the time were thought to bring them bad luck.)

My favorite helmet? The one Dave Butz wore (he s/b in the HOF) that he would not allow to be touched up after a game. By mid-season, the poor opposing center would look at that helmet, see all the scars and worn paint, and he would get the message.

Posted by: tmkelley | January 30, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I don't care what they do with the uniforms, change them ,keep them the same, except the burgundy on burgundy which looks bad. But still I really don't care what they do just don't change the mascot (by the way I've talked to many Native Americans who say they are not offended by the name)and what ever uniform they wear they must learn to win in them. Getting back to winning is what matters and that's it in a nut shell.

Posted by: rmilton | January 30, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

they should change their name too, it's pretty racist.

Posted by: BMACattack | January 30, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm a fan of the darker burgundy of the past, with gold pants. The white jersey should be used only on away games. Burgundy is the primary color, and therefore should be worn whenever possible. White is not a team color, but an acceptable trim.

Posted by: kirk8 | January 30, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

The 70th Anniversary uniforms were my favorite: classic colors, classic lines, it seemed so much more solid than even our 80s uniforms in which we saw so much success. Returning to that color scheme, or even our 70's scheme would make the NFC East more distinctive again, and I'd might consider buying a jersey; I know Danny loves that part.

Posted by: pdfordiii | January 31, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

the current burgundy is too red, it needs to get darker, or just move to the chicago maroon. black highlights are all thats required, the throw back uniforms with the arrowed helmets are fine as well... maze or dark gold pants on the road

Posted by: originalwilliamjames | January 31, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse