End of Zorn: The talking head speculation

Will be updated all through the day. And, sadly, the early morning hours....Most recent update first....

5:16, Fox analyst John Lynch: "We've been hearing a lot of things about Jim Zorn not being here, about who is going to be here, Mike Shanahan being one of those names tossed around. I have remained friendly with Mike Shanahan, he coached me for four years, he brought me to Denver, and I spoke to him yesterday. And in talking to him yesterday, I would not be surprised if he ends up in Washington. I think the thing that appeals to him--and a lot of people I think would say why--is their owner, Daniel Snyder. I think a lot of people say with all the distractions, why, but I think as a head coach what you want is an owner that's passionate about winning.

"And regardless of what you think about Dan Snyder and the way he's handled certain things, particularly Jim Zorn's situation, you've got to say he's passionate about winning. Has he been successful at doing so? No. but he will spend the money that he needs to, he'll give you the resources. I think that's attractive to Mike Shanahan. Do I think that Mike Shanahan will be the head coach? I do. I don't know when it's gonna happen, but I do think he'll be the head coach. As I said, I spoke to him, he didn't tell me any of that, but that's my gut feeling in talking to my former coach."

5:15, Fox sideline reporter Nischelle Turner: "Jim Zorn talked to us about the future of him with the team, and he told us that there's been so much speculation, he's heard it all, and he actually expects to know something about his future maybe tonight after the game or tomorrow at the latest. He doesn't think that they're going to prolong this thing one way or another."

3:35, CSN's Kelli Johnson: "Obviously Mike Shanahan, if he is the next head coach of the Washington Redskins, I'm hearing he pretty much has his staff in place, that could include Mike Zimmer as defensive coordinator, who of course is the D coordinator in Cincy right now, and his son Kyle Shanahan, who is the offensive coordinator in Houston. As we know, Shanahan's been in the league a long time, he has his guys that he will likely bring in here in 2010."

2:45, Sam Huff, ESPN 980: "Here we go again, around and around and around. I don't know. I don't believe in changing coaches all the time. Look at Norv Turner, all right? Norv Turner is here now and he's taken this team out here in San Diego to the playoffs and everything else, he has done very, very well here, and he was coaching the Redskins. It's kind of like a merry-go-round with coaches, and I've always said coaches lose football games, they don't win 'em....I don't know, it's not my decision, it's Mr. Snyder's decision and Bruce Allen's, but here we go again. We've been around here a long time. Coaches come and coaches go. There's one thing about this, Sonny, Sam and Larry are pretty stable. I hope we can stay that way."

2:25, Joe Theismann, ESPN 980: "I believe the Redskins will have a new football coach by mid-week and I think Jim will be terminated after this ballgame, probably tomorrow. I think that Mike is a guy that I think Dan Snyder has targeted, he is probably the most coveted of the coaches now that Mike Holmgren has taken a presidential position with the Cleveland Browns. I still don't believe that Bill Cowher is gonna be back in the game this year....And I feel very strongly that you needed someone like that to come into the organization, but not just for a short period of time. There has to be a commitment by management that this person is gonna get this thing turned around. It has to be a similar situation to what we had when Coach Gibbs came back and restored some pride and some discipline and some integrity to the football program. This has been a team run amok for the last two years. It's been undisciplined, it's kowtowed to certain players, it's kissed their rear ends, and it's time for it all to stop. And I believe that Mike is the kind of guy who brings in that kind of toughness."

1:30, Sonny Jurgensen, ESPN 980: "[Expect the firing to come] tomorrow. I think we will hear the word search come into the equation--that now the search for a new coach begins--but that could happen very quickly. I think the decision has been made and that they will have one in very shortly. You know, they're in no rush, but I think they could go ahead and do the thing and get it over with, and let them get started and get this thing back into some order staff. I'm not sure [what assistants Mike Shanahan] has in mind or who he's talked with. I'm sure that's been on his plate for a while now...if he is the man. We don't know that. I don't know that. If he is the man...this thing, they've got their work cut out for them."

2:10, Bruce Allen, ESPN 980: "We'll meet with the coaches tomorrow, have some discussions. I always have the coaches fill out reports on how the players performed this season, their benefits and assets that they see with the young and all the players, and we'll start those evaluations early when we get back."

1:08, ESPN's Adam Schefter: "Washington closes out its season at San Diego, and it's possible that Allen could fire Zorn on the long plane ride home. But it is more likely that Zorn will be dismissed Monday, once the team is back and settled in Washington. Either way, Zorn is expected to be the first head coach fired in what always is one of the most tumultuous times of the year in the NFL."

12:30, CBS's Charley Casserly: "Here's two names I've heard [as Shanahan assistants]. First of all his son Kyle Shanahan, presently the offensive coordinator of the Houston Texans. Last summer Kyle Shanahan turned down a contract extension and has told people he would like to coach with his dad, so I would expect him in Washington as the offensive coordinator. On the defensive side of the ball, Cincinnati Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer, his contract is up, and he has not been interested in signing an extension with the Bengals. In my opinion, I expect him to be in Washington as the defensive coordinator."

12:10:, Fox's Jay Glazer: "We all do know that Jim Zorn will be fired as the head coach of the Redskins probably within the next 24 to 48 hours, but what [you] don't know is the fact that Bruce Allen, their general manager, has been very quietly calling around this week contingency candidates just in case Mike Shanahan decides to take the money and run somewhere else."

Friday, Jim Zorn: "My feeling is I'm here for the next 10 years. That's what I want. And yet all the speculation is...I'll get clipped. But that's not my worry. My concern is the football team and how we go into the offseason."

(Via John Keim.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 3, 2010; 1:01 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Virginia TV stations bail on Redskins
Next: Bruce Allen on the future of his coaches and QB

Comments

Well the team should just remember there is no "classy" way to fire him at this point. Just do it in SD, Have the Danny offer him second shot (after shanny) at Redskins 1 to get his family and stuff moved wherever he wants.

And buy him a hooker.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 3, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Zimmer is a big reason why the Bengals are in the playoffs this year. If Hard Knocks is any indication, Zimmer's training camps won't be a cupcake for the defensive players. I'd be down with him as DC.

Posted by: DCUMD | January 3, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Not gonna lie: it's a punk move for Allen to fire him on the plane. Dan Snyder runs this circus. For him to give the task to Allen when he's been here 3 weeks is lame. Normally the GM should do it, but seems wrong in this case.

Agree re: Zimmer. Of course, not sure Big Al could handle, say, 3 plays in a row during August drills.

Posted by: jgperras | January 3, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Three things:

1. Yeah, it is a punk move for Snyder to make Allen fire Zorn. Snyder hired him; Snyder needs to man up (impossible for him) and do the firing himself.

2. Look like The Danny tripped on his d*** interviewing Jerry Gray before there was an actual opening. If it was a sham interview before, it would DEFINITELY be one the second time around if it comes to that.

3. Sony, Sam and Larry intact? THAT'S not necessarily good news. Sonny, Sam and Frank would be. Michaels has got to go. He exacerbates the agony of listening to Redskins game. (How about the use of "exacerbates", huh?)

Posted by: bethesdaguy | January 3, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

"Not gonna lie: it's a punk move for Allen to fire him on the plane."

If they didn't fire him before now it certainly won't be on the plane home. Geeze.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 3, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

To be clear, I just mean that to have Allen fire him at all, whether on the plane or at Redskins Park, is a punk move. It was the post above that mentioned the plane.

Also, whoever the next def. coordinator is needs to do 3 things before anything else:
1) Move Orakpo to DE and keep him there full time;
2) Scheme around Haynesworth on the d-line
3) Move Landry back to SS instead of forcing him into FS where he's a disaster.

Posted by: jgperras | January 3, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of punk moves, after all they've done to mistreat Zorn this year, they have to leak to the media during his last game that he's going to be fired, instead of waiting until the end of the game?

Geez, if karma exists, this coaching search shouldn't be as easy as it seems to be shaping up.

Posted by: TheFingerman | January 3, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Goodbye Zorn! After taking your final timeout while on defense, when you knew the offense would have one more shot at it with a minute or so left... well, let's just say you drove the 250,000th and final nail into your coaching coffin.

Good luck returning to Seattle to coach QBs, Jim. I wish you the best. You seem to be a great person, but you're an inept head coach.

Posted by: drischord | January 3, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

If the inevitable is going to happen the Skins need to handle it the right way!! Head coach material he may not be, but he has handled this situation like a man! If one fails at their job often times they are held accountable by losing said job. He has done nothing else to deserve being disrespected any more than he has. Snyder should be the one to let him go, but he should spend as much time in his press conference touting how Zorn has handled this as he does touting the new coach. For you fans who seem to want Zorn's head on a platter--GROW UP!!! As disapponted as we are at the dreary state of the team, none of our lives outside of Redskins Park is affected by whether the team wins or loses! Be upset, be disappointed, but keep it in perspective!!!!!!

Posted by: jwat2410 | January 3, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

So it appears that Zorn will be gone! He probably was in over his head. I think He was a real good person and probably helped Jason Campbell the most. I just hope we aren't deceiving ourselves about Mike Shannahan. He won with Joh Elway and we forget Terrell Davis! They both played behind a real good if not great finess (zone blocking) offensive line. Our offensive line is just that offensive(eggregious). It is old and full castoffs. Shannahan and Bruce Allen will have their hands full trying to rebuild the O-Line (hopefully through draft & maybe free agency). Our D-Line is pretty decent but we have corners who are overrated and can't tackle. We have safeties out of position. We have one consistent Lineback(LF) and we need to let Orakpo play DE period and turn Haynesworth loose; but make sure He comes in next season in better shape and not take so many plays off. Landry is horrible at free safety. I know we need to let it go but Sean TAylor was his mentor and covering. Sean was a proto-Free safety that hit like a Strong Safety..the book is preety much out on Landry and good teams take advantage of HIm..we need corners who can cover and tackle. We need more linebackers who hit like London Fletcher and cover in space too. Will Zimmer be an upgrade, if He comes from Cinncinatti with Shannahan, over Blache? Will Little Shannahan help our offense coming from HOuston Texans? All of these coordinators look good but they have the players too. WE need to keep Jason and see how He fares under a strong offensive line while grooming maybe our future QB in 2-3 years. He has just really been given a bad hand by Danny and Vinny. So my fellow Die-hard Redskins fans..let's not fool ourselves..Dan made this mess and Bruce Allen and the next coach is not going to clean it up within 2 years if we go into a cap season. If we have no cap then hopefully Danny boy will shell out the dough for young free agents on the rise and not over the hill guys who still attract money based on their past. Danny needs to let the new GM and coach rebuild the team into a consistent playoff and championship team. He just needs to fund the product but let the football people find the product around a system that is clearly defined offensively and defensively. In the NFC East you better have a tough defense who can stop the run and cover big fast receivers or quick sure handed guys. On offense you had better be able to have a offensive line that can move the chains and occassionally strike down field more than 10 yards or less. So be optimistic but let's not fool ourselves we have years to brace for. Let's see if Dan finally gets it..Finance the product, advertise or market it; but don't try to build it..We can only pray and be patient..after all we're dealing with Danny Boy!

Posted by: anointedebony | January 3, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse