Evening Bog: Players discuss the Capstronaut
There's some things even I'm embarrassed to ask players about. For that, we turn to TV. (Joking!)
Fox 5's Lindsay Murphy did a piece with the Capstronaut, allowing a clear look at his face, if anyone's curious. She also solicited some player reaction.
"I don't really know what he's going for, but it's cool to have a guy in the stands that can wear that costume," Eric Fehr said, which is about the best thing you could say in this situation.
"He looks like he's straight off the moon," Brooks Laich added. "We have some wild and crazy fans."
Other things that happened:
* The best two lines from Ted Leonsis's missive about taking over the Wizards: "Owning a team is a public trust. I have learned that owners have a responsibility to do everything in their power to build a great team that can achieve immortality for their fans by striving to win championships, and I hope with the Caps I've shown that that I've learned a great deal about the right way to build a winning team."
* Also, as you'd guess, Leonsis almost immediately invited Jimmy Cafritz, the 80-year old fan who was bonked in the head with that hockey puck, to watch an upcoming game from the owner's box.
* Fans tell Ovechkin "We love you, Ovie." Ovechkin tells fans, "I love you, too," according to On Frozen Blog.
* This image of Nicklas Backstrom kind of creeps me out. Why is he getting ready to play hockey under the Whitehurst Freeway? (Picture by Mike Stobe - NHLI via Getty)
* This image of Backstrom is much better. He's at the Auto Show, with Mike Green, wearing a DMV hat. Respect. That's via CSNWashington.com.
* And this is an image of Alexander Semin jumping into the boards after he scored on Wednesday night. It also creeps me out. Maybe it was just bad television photography.
* A Charm City Cakes creator discusses the Ovechkin-Crosby cake, calling it the company's first rivalry cake. She's asked who would win a real-life fight between the two stars. "Ovie, unless he were to slip on Sidney's tears," she replies, at Rock the Red.
* Baseball Prospectus's PECOTA projections show the Nats at 82-80, three games out of the wild card. This would be the Nats' best record since they came back to D.C. "Heh, the Nationals above .500!" Big League Stew snarks. "That's rich! Ben Bernanke's gonna be so excited!"
* Livan Hernandez sounds pretty much exactly like a scorned lover, as The Nationals Enquirer notes. "When I call people, I would like them to respond to my phone calls and talk to me. Sometimes, it's very disappointing and frustrating."
* D.C. United assistant coach Ben Olsen headlined an art show to raise money for Bread for the City Thursday night. (Via Brightest Young Things)
* United is auditioning someone named Two-Boys Gumede, Goff sez.
* The Skins Blog published many more images of black Redskins jersey prototypes. I still find them all ghastly. I guess I'm getting old. Change scares me. Also, my three-year old daughter apparently cursed in pre-school this week. Oh, for the days of innocence.
* Finally I have falsely given the impression that all images of Gilbert have been wiped away at Verizon Center. There are at least a few left, including this one of his Fathead inside the practice gym. Funny placement, when you think about it. (Via @hakemdermish)
January 28, 2010; 11:42 PM ET
Categories: Caps , D.C. United , Nats , Redskins , Wizards
Save & Share: Previous: Glory Days benefits from Caps' hot streak
Next: Gilbert Arenas's dad: "He literally cried"
Posted by: dcalize | January 29, 2010 12:34 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: gfsportsfan | January 29, 2010 1:31 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: PowerBoater69 | January 29, 2010 5:45 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: nafspac | January 29, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: capsfan05 | January 29, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: alex35332 | January 29, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: fushezzi | January 29, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: alex35332 | January 29, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: alex35332 | January 29, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: jhorstma | January 29, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: CDon | January 29, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: redlineblue | January 30, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.