Evening Bog: Players discuss the Capstronaut

There's some things even I'm embarrassed to ask players about. For that, we turn to TV. (Joking!)

Fox 5's Lindsay Murphy did a piece with the Capstronaut, allowing a clear look at his face, if anyone's curious. She also solicited some player reaction.

"I don't really know what he's going for, but it's cool to have a guy in the stands that can wear that costume," Eric Fehr said, which is about the best thing you could say in this situation.

"He looks like he's straight off the moon," Brooks Laich added. "We have some wild and crazy fans."

Other things that happened:

* The best two lines from Ted Leonsis's missive about taking over the Wizards: "Owning a team is a public trust. I have learned that owners have a responsibility to do everything in their power to build a great team that can achieve immortality for their fans by striving to win championships, and I hope with the Caps I've shown that that I've learned a great deal about the right way to build a winning team."

* Also, as you'd guess, Leonsis almost immediately invited Jimmy Cafritz, the 80-year old fan who was bonked in the head with that hockey puck, to watch an upcoming game from the owner's box.

* Fans tell Ovechkin "We love you, Ovie." Ovechkin tells fans, "I love you, too," according to On Frozen Blog.

* This image of Nicklas Backstrom kind of creeps me out. Why is he getting ready to play hockey under the Whitehurst Freeway? (Picture by Mike Stobe - NHLI via Getty)

* This image of Backstrom is much better. He's at the Auto Show, with Mike Green, wearing a DMV hat. Respect. That's via CSNWashington.com.

* And this is an image of Alexander Semin jumping into the boards after he scored on Wednesday night. It also creeps me out. Maybe it was just bad television photography.

* A Charm City Cakes creator discusses the Ovechkin-Crosby cake, calling it the company's first rivalry cake. She's asked who would win a real-life fight between the two stars. "Ovie, unless he were to slip on Sidney's tears," she replies, at Rock the Red.

* Baseball Prospectus's PECOTA projections show the Nats at 82-80, three games out of the wild card. This would be the Nats' best record since they came back to D.C. "Heh, the Nationals above .500!" Big League Stew snarks. "That's rich! Ben Bernanke's gonna be so excited!"

* Livan Hernandez sounds pretty much exactly like a scorned lover, as The Nationals Enquirer notes. "When I call people, I would like them to respond to my phone calls and talk to me. Sometimes, it's very disappointing and frustrating."

* D.C. United assistant coach Ben Olsen headlined an art show to raise money for Bread for the City Thursday night. (Via Brightest Young Things)

* United is auditioning someone named Two-Boys Gumede, Goff sez.

* The Skins Blog published many more images of black Redskins jersey prototypes. I still find them all ghastly. I guess I'm getting old. Change scares me. Also, my three-year old daughter apparently cursed in pre-school this week. Oh, for the days of innocence.

* Finally I have falsely given the impression that all images of Gilbert have been wiped away at Verizon Center. There are at least a few left, including this one of his Fathead inside the practice gym. Funny placement, when you think about it. (Via @hakemdermish)

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 28, 2010; 11:42 PM ET
Categories:  Caps , D.C. United , Nats , Redskins , Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Glory Days benefits from Caps' hot streak
Next: Gilbert Arenas's dad: "He literally cried"

Comments

unless he were to slip on Sidney's tears- maybe the best hockey quote ever. maybe the best sports quote ever.

leonsis absolutely should have the wiz. should be a civic order.

thanks dan!

Posted by: dcalize | January 29, 2010 12:34 AM | Report abuse

Now that the Caps are 9-0 with that guy in attendance, it starts to make you wonder...

Posted by: gfsportsfan | January 29, 2010 1:31 AM | Report abuse

Lindsay Murphy v. Lindsay Czarniak: which George Michael protege is hotter? If I were a local sports blogger (and thank god I'm not), I don't think there is much else I'd blog about. The Lindsay's could be DC's own Ginger v. Mary Ann.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | January 29, 2010 5:45 AM | Report abuse

I'd love to see Ted invite the Charm City Cakes folks to a game and get Duff a Caps jersey....Mary Alice might not be allowed to go, though, since she's a Penguins fan (we like her despite that). Mary Smith deserves a Caps jersey too (we like her despite her Yankee fan-ness). :)

Posted by: nafspac | January 29, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

I wish the media would stop showing this guy, I won't call him by what he likes. He is an embarrassment! What does this have to to with the team or the franchise? My guess he is a fair weather fan who found a why to be shown and it worked. Unlike the Goat and the Horn Guy (sorry don't know your name) who have been there long before the CAPS became really good, this idiot is a joke. Please news media refrain from showing him and hopefully he will float away to the moon or something.

Dude go cheer for the Flyers or someone!

Posted by: capsfan05 | January 29, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Dude,
WHy you hatin' on some ones good times.
Don't be such a jerk store.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 29, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | January 29, 2010 5:45 AM | Report abuse
------------------------------

Throw in Lindsay Applebaum (Caps Insider)and we have a hat trick of hot Lindsay's working sports in the DC area.

Posted by: fushezzi | January 29, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Dude,
WHy you hatin' on some ones good times.
Don't be such a jerk store.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 29, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

We have a glut of hotness reporting on sports in the DC area. I guess it is to make up for the skins/wiz/nats win/loss records.

Sports God give and the Sports gods take.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 29, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Ida's quotes are NSFW???

Also, gotta luv the angry old man behind Capstronaut wanting to play pull-my-finger...

Posted by: jhorstma | January 29, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Bitter comment, capsfan05. I don't know about you, but I'm not turning away folks who want to cheer for the Caps. He's just enjoying himself. I think we can let him be.

Posted by: CDon | January 29, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Horn Guy rallies the fans to the team. Goat rallies the fans to the team. The 2-3 guys who share the insipid outfit...rally the fans?...to their own appearance?...on the jTron?
Lame.