Gilbert Arenas stars in PETA ad

Having finished jousting with Al Sharpton and getting suspended indefinitely by the NBA, it's now time for Gilbert Arenas to move on to his new ad campaign with PETA. Because the animal-rights group is, you know, never controversial.

Yup, file this one in the "unfortunate timing" folder, which I guess isn't completely fair to either Gilbert or PETA. This ad--part of the group's campaign against fur sales--had always been scheduled to be released right after the holidays, when retailers traditionally make a big push to clear out their fur inventory. And while I'll no doubt be judged a liberal wacko by many of you, I'm pretty much on board with this; I wear canvas shoes and fake-leather belts while I sip my Silk Egg Nog at night, after all. And so Wednesday was deemed the day.

(What's that? Suspended indefinitely on his birthday is a bigger headline than his PETA work? You're sure?)

Anyhow, Gilbert follows other athletes like Amare Stoudemire, Tony Gonzalez, Michael Strahan and Tito Ortiz in working with PETA. And his appearance in the Ink Not Mink campaign hearkens back to simpler times, like when I first asked him about his chest tattoo, right before his career exploded, and he said he wanted the tiger ink because "the tiger is the king of the jungle," lions be damned.

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 6, 2010; 4:21 PM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shanahan enters, Snyder steps aside
Next: Why Arenas was unfit to take the court

Comments

Seriously? I'm the biggest liberal I know, and even I don't boycott leather shoes.

Dude, canvass wears out like in a minute. Think about the carbon footprint of shipping the 10x more pairs you need to get through life.

Go buy some timberlands, man.

Posted by: sbiel2 | January 6, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Oh that Gilbert Arenas, what a terrible human being: www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/29/AR2007102901892.html

Oh man that Agent Zero, what a selfish criminal: www.washingtontimes.com/news/2005/sep/07/20050907-095333-1122r/

Oh that damn Arenas kid, he's always up to no good: www.gilbertology.net/2007/03/20/gilbert-arenas-in-freddie-macs-hoops-for-the-homeless/

Oh boy we sure do need less guys like Gilbert Arenas in this world: www.zerotwoherofoundation.org/

Oh this Hibachi character sure does ruin a lot of people's lives: www.yourcause.com/gilbertarenas

Oh the world would be such a better place if only Gilbert Arenas were behind bars:
www.blackgivesback.com/2007/10/gilbert-arenas-scores-for-schools.html

Posted by: Barno1 | January 6, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

^^^ Anyone making nine-figures can do a ton of charity work, idiot. I'd be more impressed if Gil had a functioning brain than the fact he can easily generate charitable exposure.

Posted by: MACCHAMPS04 | January 6, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Posing on this ad doesn't change the fact that he violated a rule and deserved to face the consequences of his actions!

Tracy, Velocity Fulfillment

Posted by: Statusnow9 | January 6, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

I guess his "Glocks Not Crocs" campaign is only appearing in Florida and Louisiana.

Posted by: VamosUnited | January 7, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse