Hall: "We needed a change"

Several Redskins players had very fond things to say about Jim Zorn the person, but there were plenty of players whose comments seemed less complimentary of Zorn the coach.

"The way we lost was just very disheartening," DeAngelo Hall said. "I think this organization needed a change. ... You know what? Change sometimes is good. I think we reached a point here where we needed a change. We needed a change, we needed to start over with something fresh, and I look forward to what we bring in to get us back, get us going again, and get some of these guys back hungry."

Other players suggested that team discipline was an issue during the Zorn Era.

Some players, Rock Cartwright said, felt "like they could go and talk to someone else instead of going to talk to Coach Zorn. And when you've got guys that feel like they have that power, then of course that's a bad apple in the bunch."

I asked if "someone else" meant Daniel Snyder.

"Not necessarily the owner," Cartwright said. "It could have been the general manager or whoever. I just know that some guys had more say in some things than other guys. And I'm not getting into no names or anything like that, but I know it."

Carlos Rogers was asked whether two years was enough of a chance for Zorn; "that's the business," he said.

"You really can't say," Rogers continued. "As players, if you don't produce, we're out of here. Coaches, the same way. I think with the season we had last year, losing all them games the second half and the season this year, if you were a coach you would think you would be fired. And Snyder wants to win, and he thought he had a winning coach and the players to do it with, and the coach would probably be one of the first things to go, and then some of us."

The notes of optimism you heard often centered around Bruce Allen, and his reputation, and his title of general manager.

"Mr. Snyder's owned the team for what, 10 years now, and with that, he's learned a lot as an owner," London Fletcher said. "So I think it is a step in the right direction, and whomever they choose as the next head coach will also help us out."

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 4, 2010; 1:15 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Best moments of the Zorn Era
Next: Players remember Zorn

Comments

What happened to the local college basketball poll?

Posted by: lordscarlet1 | January 4, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love these professionals that need team discipline to be in place before they can do their jobs well. Is that why nobody in their secondary could tackle this yr? Guess so.

Posted by: TheDubb | January 4, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

This is directed at all those REDSKIN players proclaiming that they needed a change. I am not saying that Jim Zorn was the right man for the job , but change comes first from the individual, whenever you have a bunch of players that can't tackle, that can't intercept a pass when it hits them in the chess or receivers that drops passes or a quarterback that is not given the right protection, I would have to say that falls on the players, whom I feel is getting paid a lot of money for NOT doing their jobs. It is easy to place blame elsewhere, but sometimes one has to look at himself and ask what can I do to make myself a better player. So I say to you stop crying and talking about Change and do something about it..

Posted by: fredfstr | January 4, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

This is directed at all of those REDSKIN players proclaiming that they needed a change. I am not saying that Jim Zorn was the right man for the job , but change comes first from the individual, whenever you have a bunch of players that can't tackle, that can't intercept a pass when it hits them in the chest or receivers that drops passes or a quarterback that is not given the right protection, I would have to say that falls on the players, whom I feel is getting paid a lot of money for NOT doing their jobs. It is easy to place blame elsewhere, but sometimes one has to look at himself and ask what can I do to make myself a better player. So I say to you stop crying and talking about Change and do
something about it.. ONE OTHER THING, UNTIL THOSE BASIC FUNDAMENTALS OF THE GAME THAT ARE TAUGHT TO YOU IN PEEWEE LEAGUE ARE CORRECTED, IT DOESNT MATTER WHO COACHES, WE WILL BE HERE IN THE NEXT TWO YEARS TALKING CHANGE AGAIN!!!!

Posted by: fredfstr | January 4, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

There is a reason why Dante Hall has only played for crap teams in the NFL.

Posted by: vmrg1974 | January 4, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Have you seen DC's new team uniforms?

Posted by: MikeLicht | January 4, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

The local college bball poll was on holiday hiatus and will return this week (today?).

Posted by: CByrd1 | January 5, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

At this level of competition every one pretty much has talent, all teams draft and trade from the same pool, the big thing missing here might be the right leadership, I just feel like the leadership failed the players and fans, bad coaching, bad talent assessors, lack of sound key judgment and leadership by those at the helm of things, I pray that Mike wastes very little time fooling around with Jason Campbell, he ain't "the one" we need a motivated leader at this position.

Posted by: zimife1999 | January 5, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse