Haynesworth: "I'm not Superman"

(By Jonathan Newton - TWP)

Albert Haynesworth's level of conditioning, his image on bended knee, and his slow walks to the sideline, were a constant theme of this dearly departed Redskins season. I'm not sure I ever saw the lineman discuss that issue more eloquently than in a one-on-one interview with Comcast SportsNet's Kelli Johnson in late October.

(Yes, I'm writing a blog post about an interview that occurred nearly three months ago, but it's been on my list of things to do for nearly three months, and I like to cross things off my list. Feel free to criticize me for not writing about a more current, winning team. Then I'll declare war on you.)

"Well, I'll say this," Haynesworth told Johnson, when asked about his fitness level. "Last game I played like 50-some plays. And probably 95 percent of those plays, I'm pushing on two people. I mean, I don't know what kind of shape. ... Like again, I'm not Superman. I'm pushing on 600 pounds, 95 percent of the time. I mean, what do you expect? I get tired. What we do as a defensive line, we're asked to go up-field, disrupt a play, things like that, and get in the quarterback's face. So yeah, you're gonna get tired, because I am moving."

And as long as I've already dipped into the ancient past, I might as well dig up Haynesworth's equally ancient comments about Daniel Snyder, in the same interview.

"I like him," Haynesworth said then. "I mean, he gets a lot of criticism, and I don't quite understand why. I mean,I've heard a lot of people say a lot of negative things about him, but to me, a guy that has the money, that wants to bring people in, he just wants to win. I mean, I don't see how you criticize that. I guess maybe because he just shouldn't be here or something? Bud Adams, I never heard any criticism about him, but heck, he was never there. So I don't know. I mean, I think he's really a fan, a fan of the game, and a fan of the Redskins, and he'll do anything to put the Redskins on top."

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 14, 2010; 11:05 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Stephen Colbert on Gilbert Arenas
Next: Caps fans in Miami, and a Gordie Howe Hat Trick

Comments

What's your point??

Posted by: iubiquity | January 14, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Haynesworth and Portis both camp to camp out of shape and didn't participate enough in either camp or the preseason to work themselves into reasonable shape for the start of the season.

Shanahan's comments in the press conference about 'successful veterans' who needed to do more work to stay in the game as they got older was a direct shot at both players.

Mike is not going to call out Albert because AH can be a significant asset for him on the DL at just 28 years of age.

He is just entering his prime at DT.

The trick is for Shanahan, our new Lion tamer, to balance things with AH to get the most out of him while maintaining a positive relationship.

This is what successful coaches do.

Gibbs did it with Dexter Manley, Wilber Marshall and John Riggins.

Jimmy Johnson did it with Michael Irvin, Charles Haley and Nate Newton.

Posted by: leopard09 | January 14, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Trade AH and some money to Detroit....Take the Nebraska DT and sign him before you draft him
Trade #4 Down to #15-17 and a 2nd take the Rutgers OT at 15-17 and a Guard and a SS in the second move LL Back to FS. Pick up the guard from Denver in FA. Trade S.Moss for Denvers Disgruntaled WR. Find a 3-4 LB in the FA and Draft one In round 4

Posted by: boysheadcoach | January 14, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Ha ha! Trade Rock Cartwright plus some old Atari cartridges to Detroit for their pick. Trade Stephon Heyer to Oakland for their first rounder and a package of tube socks. Trade Gano to Cleveland for their first rounder. Draft all the good players in the 2010 draft.

Wow, its so easy.

Posted by: calhokie | January 14, 2010 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Did any of you watch Haynesworth play? He hustled. One play I remember in particular was this huge guy running like hell after a running back who had gotten around the end. Not his responsibility and maybe not able to get him but he ran fast and tried! He did this time in and time out. He hustled when triple teamed to get to the QB. Where were the rest of the defense while two and three were on him? Maybe holding their own spot pursuant to Greg Blanche's stupid defensive scheme. Blanche wasted Snyder's money--tx and see ya. If only our offensive line had hustled a bit. Another poor coaching job. Joe should have retired five years ago and the Skins suffered for it. That has been the main problem with the offense for as long as Bugel has been there. Have you ever watched Heyer play? He is weak and slow. Am not sure even with good coaching he would be a starter for any other team. And along with other ancient history and cast offs. Bugel was old and and he got an old line--they both stunk. Bugel was great with the hogs but they made him; he didn't make them--and that was eons ago. Good luck in getting something of a trade out of Heyer. Haynesworth could be a great asset if the Skins let the defense play some. And forget signing any older, "experienced" players anywhere, except maybe a really good and energetic QB--none available so get Tebow. Get some youth who do not always end up hurt, especially on the OL. Look at some of the winning teams. They have OL's that are big, look tough, and hustle throughout each play. The Skins OL has not done that with Bugel--they look act and play like a bunch of has beens. It has been tough staying loyal but the burgundy and white always turns me on! By the way, why not Pete Carroll? Is this another where Snyder jumped the gun rather than being patient and looking at the whole story. Maybe the new GM will get him some sense. Go Skins! Can't wait to sing the Victory Song again and again and again.

Posted by: sbrick | January 15, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse