Inside Gilbert's statement

I thought it was great news that Gilbert Arenas finally issued that statement on Monday, and that he's working with real lawyers. But I couldn't help but notice that the statement from his law firm took a slightly different tone than some of his classic tweets from recent days. I assume all of you are already reading his Twitter page, but I thought I could offer a public service with a quick comparison. Sure, I'm taking some of this a bit out of context, but not horribly.

Statement: I appreciated the opportunity to meet with law enforcement officials today. As the person who caused this trouble in the first place, I thought it was my duty to be the first witness to come forward and meet with the prosecutors and detectives. I told my attorney I wanted to get in for an interview as soon as we could arrange it, and that was today. I told the detectives and prosecutors the whole story about my storing the unloaded guns at the Verizon Center and what I was intending to do when I took them out of my locker on December 21st.

Twitter: they say bad decisions make for great stories...only true if u dont take urself too serious..see u guys in rated x hours ..LOL

Statement: As I have said before, I had kept the four unloaded handguns in my house in Virginia, but then moved them over to my locker at the Verizon Center to keep them away from my young kids. I brought them without any ammunition into the District of Columbia, mistakenly believing that the recent change in the DC gun laws allowed a person to store unloaded guns in the District.

Twitter: no im not going to jail i didnt do what they keep writing but stay away from guns..i was wrong for puttn them in my locker

Statement: On Monday, December 21st, I took the unloaded guns out in a misguided effort to play a joke on a teammate.

Twitter: i understand this is serious..but if u ever met me you know i dont do serious things im a goof ball this story today dont sound goofy to me

Statement: Contrary to some press accounts, I never threatened or assaulted anyone with the guns and never pointed them at anyone.

Twitter: i wake up this morning and seen i was the new JOHN WAYNE..lmao media is too funny

Statement: Joke or not, I now recognize that what I did was a mistake and was wrong.

Twitter: i am sticking with what i know...thats jokes sweetie

Statement: I should not have brought the guns to DC in the first place, and I now realize that there's no such thing as joking around when it comes to guns -- even if unloaded.

Twitter: so pls dont take what i say serious or i will piss off from time 2 time becuz i dont hav a filter on my jokes

Statement: I am very sorry for the effect that my serious lapse in judgment has had on my team, my teammates, the National Basketball Association and its fans.

Twitter: PUT A SMILE ON YOUR FACE AND THINK:YOU'RE ALIVE AND STILL AROUND....so join me in enjoying everyday and smile for the negative people.

Statement: I want to apologize to everybody for letting them down with my conduct, and I promise to do better in the future.

Twitter: i dont get shaken up in my life outside basketball..cant live in fear of sumthing that hasnt happened yet

Statement: I also want to thank the detectives and prosecutors on the case for the professionalism and courtesy they showed me during the interview today.

Twitter: its easy to hide from ur problem but a real person dont break character when thing arent going his or her way..becuz thats [all] u have at the end of the day

Statement: I stand ready to continue to give my full cooperation to them and to the League as they investigate this incident.

Twitter: u cant take..my happiness away u cant take my mind if i dont let u ...people judge u by the money u make not the person u r i dont get anger..nothin outside basketball makes me anger...if u ever met me you know...life is fun if u want it to be

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 5, 2010; 1:38 PM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Joe Bugel and the birth of the Hogs
Next: Portis discusses relationship with "Mr. Snyder"

Comments

So Arenas went to college right? I guess University of Arizona isn't the paragon of education

Posted by: JDP_ | January 5, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

The twitter version is MUCH better. What a waste of money to pay those lawyers to write that boring, boilerplate PR fluff that no one will read or care about. How many rated x hours did it take them?

Posted by: wbbradb | January 5, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Some of these guys don't see how deep they're digging the hole until it collapses on top of them, and they'll keep talking right until the end . . .

Posted by: Gunga2009 | January 5, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Lies are the new facts in today's world. "Gilbert Arenas and his Washington Wizards teammate Javaris Crittenton drew guns on each other" is what Peter Vecsey reported to the world as fact. And now thousands if not millions of people have heard it and believe it. It does not matter that countless follow up reports by numerous media outlets have "clarified" that neither Arenas nor Crittenton drew guns on each other. The initial story is what got the most attention, and by now, the damage is done.

Peter Vecsey, in his eagerness to be the first to break what would be a major story, recklessly reported a fabrication about Arenas that has absolutely destroyed the reputation of an otherwise good person. If someone should lose their job over this incident, it should not be Arenas nor Crittenton...it should be Vecsey. But not in the world we live in where there is simply no accountability for members of the media. But if you want to give Vecsey a piece of your mind, here's his email address: peter.vecsey@nypost.com

As for Sharpton, John Feinstein, and the rest of the anti-gun lobby--it is beyond pathetic that they would attempt to further their political agenda by trying to make an example out of Arenas. None of these folks have any idea yet whether a crime was committed, whether the guns were legal or loaded, or what exactly happened that day in the locker room-- and yet here we have knee-jerk reactions from a few political hacks calling for the NBA to throw the book at someone before we even know the facts about what happened. Again, it's beyond pathetic.

Last but not least, why is Al Sharpton even quoted anymore in the press these days? One would think that comments like "If the Jews want to get it on, tell them to pin their yarmulkes back and come over to my house" and referring to Jews as "diamond merchants" and saying of Mitt Romney "as for the one Mormon running for office, those who really believe in God will defeat him" would be more than reason enough to cut this guy's mic off years ago--let alone his many efforts in inciting riots--but apparently not.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 5, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Vinny, I mean Barno1, we missed you! How's life after the Redskins? You never told us whether you're going to star in "Kindergarten Ninja 2".

Posted by: mgonter | January 5, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Regardless of the outcome of grand jury proceedings, team and league need to suspend this pathetic excuse for a clown for the remainder of the season.

I don't know how anyone can justify bringing guns into the locker room or brandishing them at teammates.

Team should also release this joker from the remainder of his contract citing the moral turpitude clause.

Posted by: Vic1 | January 5, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Vic1, is there anyone in this town you don't want fired? Sheesh

Posted by: Barno1 | January 5, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Barno1, this Redskins team is your first inaccurate prediction of success, how are you going to handle it?

Posted by: JDP_ | January 5, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Zack --

No, thanks, you can keep your job if you want...

even after hiring Bruce and Shanny, Little Danny Snotrag still needs a few defenders...

and you can keep defending Arenas and his criminally stupid behavior too.

Posted by: Vic1 | January 5, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

jdp, they werent my first innaccurate prediction and won't be my last...but i handled it like any self-respecting gambler, by paying out multiple people for lost wagers. Dagger!

Posted by: Barno1 | January 5, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

carrying an unloaded weapon into a locker room with your teammates is about as "dangerous" as speeding on the way to the arena. Actually, the speeding is probably more dangerous--but I'm sure those perfect folks calling for Arenas's head have never driven above the speed limit before.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 5, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Oh that Gilbert Arenas, what a terrible human being: www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/29/AR2007102901892.html

Oh man that Agent Zero, what a selfish criminal: www.washingtontimes.com/news/2005/sep/07/20050907-095333-1122r/

Oh that damn Arenas kid, he's always up to no good: www.gilbertology.net/2007/03/20/gilbert-arenas-in-freddie-macs-hoops-for-the-homeless/

Oh boy we sure do need less guys like Gilbert Arenas in this world: www.zerotwoherofoundation.org/

Oh this Hibachi character sure does ruin a lot of people's lives: www.yourcause.com/gilbertarenas

Oh the world would be such a better place if only Gilbert Arenas were behind bars:
www.blackgivesback.com/2007/10/gilbert-arenas-scores-for-schools.html

Posted by: Barno1 | January 5, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Awesome post with web links by Barno1. Visit each link and then try to tell me that Gilbert isn't a good guy that just made a bad mistake. Does he deserve the same punishment you or I would recieve, yes... Does he deserve to have his contract nullified or be suspended for the season, no. Let the punishment fit the crime and move on.

Posted by: irvingliimatta | January 5, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

reading this makes me anger

Posted by: BMACattack | January 5, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

reading this makes me anger

Posted by: BMACattack | January 5, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Somewhere former NBA Deputy Commission, Simon Gourdine, is shaking his head. Noone seems to remember when the NBA was considered "too black" and drug infested for mass appeal. Current players have reneged on their obligation to be ambassadors of the sport that Dr. J, Bird, Magic, Jordan helped build. For the best write-up of the Arenas situation, go here: http://clicky.me/7lz

Posted by: Silk32 | January 6, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse