Jose Theodore on his ovation

(By Toni L. Sandys - TWP)

Since I mentioned earlier how Jose Theodore seemed a bit started by the ovation he received Tuesday night, I thought I'd ask the goalie about it after practice.

"I didn't really know how to react," he said. "I always say the D.C. crowd is really one of the best crowds. They're loud, they're very into it, and at the end was really fun. it was fun to feel that the crowd was behind you....As a player, you just want to give more, give them solid games like this so they can cheer. I was really moved by the ovation."

Bruce Boudreau said Theodore "stole one for us" against the Red Wings, and Alex Ovechkin said the team owes him one, but the goalie laughed off that talk.

"You know what, at the end of the day, I'm sure that I can think of a couple bad goals that I let in and we lost, so it pretty much evens out," he said. "They bailed me out a few times. I'm just trying to do my job when I'm out there."

Theodore declined to call Tuesday his best performance of the season, and said that the number of shots he faces is less important than the type of shot and the sightlines.

"Last couple of starts...I felt pretty good, but we've been playing so well that I didn't have to make too many key saves," he said. "You know what, the shots are not really an issue. It's about being able to see the pucks. That's what we've been doing good. Even though sometimes we only allow 20 shots or (sometimes) 40, if we do a good job letting me see the puck--which we've been doing--it makes it much easier."

Also, this has nothing to do with Theodore, but I asked Matt Bradley about a 1997 newspaper description of him as "skilled but soft."

"I've talked about this before, but everyone who plays in the NHL in junior--other than fighters--are skilled guys," Bradley said this week. "As you get higher up, the skill guys are so good that if you're not good enough to be that skill guy, you have to figure out a different way to play. I still hit a lot, [but] I didn't fight very much in junior. I got the most gentlemanly player in junior my last year. I'm a gentleman, always a gentleman."

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 20, 2010; 3:14 PM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Vinny Cerrato talks George Michael
Next: Caps avoid revisiting Game 7 vs. the Pens

Comments

Theo's right, we're fanatical, and want the best for the Caps. When he smiled last ngiht, after LIsa's comment, it was a heart-warming moment. I've been one who's expected better play from Theo. I hope he gain some momentum from his performance against Detroit.

Posted by: Max231 | January 20, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

"... if we do a good job letting me see the puck--which we've been doing--it makes it much easier."

what was my last comment again? oh yeah it was echoing the same sentiment.

Clear the crease and don't screen your own goalie!

Posted by: MNMNT | January 20, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

So, Theo. How'd that work on the Rafalski goal? That's right, from the top of the circle, unscreened and undeflected?

No faith. Stop 40 shots a night for all I care. You let up those beach balls that you see the whole way from the top of the crease from the top of the crease, we are SCREWED.

Posted by: MACCHAMPS04 | January 20, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Not to be a fanboy, but Thanks for the influx of Capitals coverage, Dan! :)

Posted by: blackjack65 | January 20, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

That Matt Bradley -- "Most Gentlemanly" indeed! Good on the Caps coverage--it's really appreciated. With the other sport stories in town, the Caps are a breath of fresh air.

Posted by: jjhare | January 20, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

MACCHAMPS04 has repeated himself in several threads now. I think he wants attention.

Posted by: jjhare | January 20, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

MACCHAMPS04,

Simmer down... Even when you have an unimpeded view, it is not all that easy to stop a slap shot from the top of the circle as you are moving sideways across the crease. Theo has let in beach balls before, but that was not one of them. He played a great game.

Posted by: Ogilthorpe | January 20, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

MACCHAMPS04: Come on now. I've been hard on Theo too but after this game, do you really have to say those things? Yeah, he should've stopped that, but it's because of him that it was still a game after the first and second periods. There are times you can complain about his play but after that game? No way. He's been through a lot, on and off the ice, can't you just stop that and praise him for this one game?

Posted by: rachel216 | January 20, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

as the goalie, you're also trying to figure out where everyone else to anticipate the pass/deflection. people just don't know. yes sometimes you let in a soft goal here and there and it's the NHL.

but to blame games on the goalie when it's blatant when some of the goals were defensive breakdowns is downright stupid. but yes, he's also getting paid $4.2M a year to make saves. Either way, he doesn't have XRAY vision and too many times he's been screened or been caught off guard b/c of some stupid defensive mistakes. Neuvirth let in 4 goals in the first period two games in a row.

Anyone calling him swiss cheese? Varly let in a ton last game of the playoffs last year, and some games this year. It happens. Lay off of Theo and let him play his game he's already got enough on his mind. Let's put some of you in the net for even a pick up game and see how you do.

Posted by: MNMNT | January 21, 2010 1:03 AM | Report abuse

Frankly, Varly is starting to look like the Caps version of DiPietro. Neuvirth clearly isn't ready. May be some day, but not yet. So this team will rise and fall with Theo. At least this season, that's the case.

Posted by: poguesmahone | January 21, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

The fans had been giving Theo the business at home, too. Good to see him have such a good game at Verizon and hear the locals cheer for him.

Also, how long before we start seing number 10 jerseys with "Gentleman" for the name?

Posted by: JohninMpls | January 21, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

He is a servicible goalie, but sometimes i don't understand why he goes on spells in which he gives of 3 or 4 very dumb goals that the capitals other goalies ( particulary varlamov) would easily stop. At some points I feel as though nuevirth would even be a better no.2 goalie.

Posted by: Dlewis10 | January 24, 2010 11:39 PM | Report abuse