Mike Wise meets Obama, part III
Unless I'm forgetting something, the current President of this country has been to three sporting events in the city since he became boss: Bulls-Wizards, Oregon State-George Washington and Duke-Georgetown.
What do these events have in common? All were basketball games. And at each game, Obama ended up shaking hands with a large, bald Washington Post sports columnist.
So when CBS's coverage of Duke-Georgetown Saturday afternoon mentioned Obama for the first time, was there any doubt at all that he would be shown in an embrace with Mike Wise? How Verne Lundquist failed to mention the second man in the frame, I'll never understand. Don't you think national viewers were curious about the goateed man in the sweater-vest rubbing chests with the leader of the free world, Verne? The full video's all the way below. It's majestic.
In other Obama-Hoyas news:
* Wise wasn't the only Post sports columnist pressing Presidential flesh. The News & Observer notes that "at halftime, the president shook hands with fans and talked with Washington Post columnist and ESPN Pardon The Interruption host Michael Wilbon."
* The press pool report is amazingly amazing. It also refers to the start of the game as "kick-off."
Seated in a cushioned folding chair mere feet from the basketball court, POTUS studiously remained dispassionate and impartial even as fans of the Georgetown University team all around him went absolutely berserk. Just to his left was a line of shirtless students smeared with gray and blue body paint, some wearing frenzied blue wigs and screaming like they were possessed.
* Obama offered his thoughts on the game to the CBS crew at halftime:
"Listen, obviously two great teams. I have been impressed at least in the first half by the guards for Georgetown - big, strong guys. They have been able to keep [Jon] Scheyer out of, you know, out from having to shoot a lot of threes contested. They have been a little sloppy in the second half and Duke's picked up, so it will be interesting to see how things turn out."
* Obama's next D.C. sports engagement might be set. Yes, it's another basketball game at Verizon. Chris Duhon has invited Reggie Love, "his best friend from Duke, and Obama to attend the Knicks-Wizards game next month at Verizon Center," the New York Post reported this week. Enough with the basketball, already.
* Coach K may have been referring to Obama when he discussed the raucous crowd. "Whenever when we're in anyone's place, the atmosphere is pretty good," Krzyzewski said via the D!scourse blog. "If you invite us to your party, usually people want to have a good time at it."
* Georgetown's good.
January 30, 2010; 8:44 PM ET
Categories: College Basketball , Media
Save & Share: Previous: Afternoon Bog: Obama to Georgetown-Duke game?
Next: The last time the Caps won 10 straight
Posted by: HoyaSinceBirth | January 31, 2010 12:43 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: ovie19 | January 31, 2010 2:48 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: rdpinva | January 31, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Barno1 | January 31, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Barno1 | January 31, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: disgruntledfan | January 31, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: alex35332 | January 31, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: jhorstma | January 31, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: sitruc | February 1, 2010 2:38 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: poguesmahone | February 1, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: FlyersSuck | February 1, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Barno1 | February 1, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: johnfitz84 | February 1, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Dlewis10 | February 1, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.