More details about the Redskins' new video boards

(Courtesy Washington Redskins.)

The Redskins put out a press release and several images of their new video boards on Wednesday morning, which prompted me to posit a few questions and answers.

Q: Does the new boards have anything to do with the shiny contraptions down in Dallas?

A: Nah. Not at all. Pure silliness. Why in the world would you think that? Just because of the subject line on the press release: "Punter-proof HD video board promised fro 2010 Redskins season?" Or the fact that the boards are also referred to as "punter-proof" in the first sentence of the release?

Q: Will season-ticket holders be moved to accommodate the new boards?

A: Unclear. Some fans have already posted in online forums that they've been warned by their ticket reps about possible moves from their club-level seats, but Redskins COO David Donovan said in the release he isn't yet sure.

"As soon as we know if any of our guests will have their view impacted, we will notify them of their upgraded seat location at the same price," he said. "Guests," really?

Q: How will the boards compare in size to the Nationals' big screen?

A: Since someone asked this in the comments of my previous post, I found the answer. The Nats' scoreboard is 47 feet tall and 101 feet wide. The Skins' video screens will be about 30 feet tall and 100 feet wide.

Q: How about before and after shots?

A: Ok. Here ya go.

Q: And maybe a fantastically enthusiastic quote?

A: "I can guarantee this," Donovan said in the release. "These boards will be among the best in any sports stadium, anywhere, and they will be ready for the 2010 season."

Q: What else would fans like to see, game-day experience wise?

A: Judging by my inbox, better escalators, better (and warmer) food options, an improved or revamped Gray Lot, easier transportation choices from Metro, relaxed policies on bringing in food from outside, working televisions in the concourses, and a team that wins more than four games. But one step at a time, people.

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 20, 2010; 10:38 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jeff Schultz is "Mr. Nasty"
Next: Ovechkin-Crosby = Magic-Bird?

Comments

Um, what am I missing here in the "before and after" photos? Looks the same to me.

Posted by: sportphoto | January 20, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

...other than the actual scoreboard not being part of the screen of course, the size appears to be identical.

Posted by: sportphoto | January 20, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Dan you forgot the most important fan improvement.
We would like to see the stadium moved to the District.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 20, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Who cares. FedEx is still a dump. Move the team back to DC.

Posted by: MarylanDChris | January 20, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sportphoto | January 20, 2010 11:00 AM

The difference is that the entire span will be a new HD screen - which can play a single video feed (seen in Dan's first photo) or broken up with ads, scores, smaller video (shown in Dan's third photo).

And I don't think that the Skins care about the Cowboys screen - this is a very delayed reaction to the Ravens excellent HD screens (very similar). I've never liked Snyder, but this is another small sign that at some point during the '09 season, something clicked in his head that fans are seriously down on his franchise.

Posted by: Kev29 | January 20, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

The middle part of the current scoreboard is only ads that don't change. The new scoreboard will make all 3 sections into one big HD screen that can be split up to show multiple angels. I guess we'll get to watch better commercials now.

Posted by: ChampKind | January 20, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Could they not have picked a photo of the scoreboard when the Redskins were actually winning?

(I know, I know, cue the obvious jokes...)

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | January 20, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Jesus Christ people, even when the team has done something that obviously cost a lot of money and will clearly improve the game day experience, Redskins fans will still find some way to complain about it. Unreal.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 20, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Guests of the great Dan in the land of Snyder. We should be so lucky as to be allowed inside such a hallowed sporting venue.

I have to admit that word jumped out at me too. Donovan should either be let go or given a press secretary who knows how to speak to the media.

A PR man for the PR man.....how novel.

Posted by: yampaco | January 20, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

new video boards. no more goalposts.

..because if we can't make field goals, no one should be able to.

Lots of two-point conversions, though.

Posted by: archd3 | January 20, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Between Bruce Allen, Shanny, Snyder getting out of the way (We Hope!!) and now this new video screen, I'm actually starting to look forward to next season. I just wonder how much the tickets prices are going to go up!?

Posted by: Monkman63 | January 20, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't really blast the food. Yeah it's bad, but it's nowhere near as bad as Verizon Center.

Posted by: FlyersSuck | January 20, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I agree with "Barno1" 100% The man (Dan) is trying to change just give him a chance.

Posted by: rmilton | January 20, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Hey "Monkman63" the team announced last week that there would be no price increase on the tickets for the 2010 season.

Posted by: rmilton | January 20, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Monkman63 | January 20, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

You can add "no ticket price increase" to your list of things to look forward to next season

Posted by: Barno1 | January 20, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

"he said. "Guests," really?"
OK I don't get it. Are you trashing the guy for using the word "guest?" It might be kind of old school but so what? I am happy about the new big boards. Quit trying to find fault with everything, Steinberg. Geez.

Posted by: DHolmes1 | January 20, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm, I agree with you Dholmes1.

Dan, what's with the "really" comment? Those signs are nice eye candy and I like them but I don't want my view blocked. I want that guest treatment and that seat upgrade! thanks.

Posted by: Marcus10 | January 20, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

To FlyersSuck: The difference is, you can get from work to Gallery Place quickly, and get in and out of Verizon Center in 2.5 hours. Redskins games are 3.5 hours and it takes the better part of a day to get to the stadium and get home, so it's important for FedEx to have better food options.

Have dietary restrictions or not want to wind up like Rex Ryan? The healthiest thing FedEx offers is fried chicken and french fries.

Posted by: GeorgeTowner2 | January 20, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

How about an appropriate number of port-a-pots in the lots. Its no fun to waste 20-30 mins to take a leak. Its also no wonder people bust down the fences to use the grassy areas behind them. There are normally a good number week 1 and then they slowly disappear.

Posted by: dtysko | January 21, 2010 7:44 AM | Report abuse

When are the retractable roof and sliding field be installed at FedEx Field?

Posted by: vmrg1974 | January 21, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse