NBA statement on Gil's jerseys

I mentioned earlier in the week that Gilbert Arenas jerseys are no longer available at NBAStore.com, and that if you try to make a personalized Gilbert jersey yourself, you'll be told that "Your current entry cannot be processed. Language deemed inappropriate, derogatory, or profane will not be accepted. Please create a new entry."

I asked the NBA what this was all about, and I was given this statement:

"Given the circumstances surrounding his current suspension we do not feel it's appropriate to continue selling Gilbert Arenas merchandise at the NBA Store or NBAStore.com."

The same policy has previously been applied to other suspended players, I was told.

On the other hand, five of the first six jerseys displayed at the Wizards' online store are Gilbert's. (The Wizards' online store is run by a third party, neither the team nor the NBA.) And while the team store in the Verizon Center famously stopped displaying Gilbert's jersey, I'm told if you ask for one at the counter, they're actually still for sale.

I think I've also concluded that, having suspended Arenas indefinitely, no matter what the NBA and the Wizards do now, people like me will find faults. If they still sell his jersey, we'll ask why they're profiting off of a man who isn't allowed to play or earn a paycheck. And if they stop selling his jersey, we'll accuse them of purging his memory from the world.

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 12, 2010; 4:47 PM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rashad Evans and UFC in D.C.
Next: Matt Bradley steals Ovechkin's fight

Comments

"I think I've also concluded that, having suspended Arenas indefinitely, no matter what the NBA and the Wizards do now, people like me will find faults."

--------------------------

If they hadn't jumped the gun on suspending him, they wouldn't have this problem.

Posted by: CrimsonTribe | January 12, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

"If they still sell his jersey, we'll ask why they're profiting off of a man who isn't allowed to play or earn a paycheck."

Maybe they are just trying to re-collect some of that money that Gil stole from the Wizards the first two years after he signed that deal when he was sitting at home? You know, that "discount" deal?

I don't ever recall seeing you write anything about the Wiz were being treated so unfairly by Gil back then?

Gil so broke, man. I feel so bad for him.

Com'on.

The liberal press. What are you going to do with them?

Dan, if roles were reversed Gil could care less about you going to jail because you brought FOUR UNREGISTED GUNS INTO DC AND KEPT THEM AT YOUR WORK..

I say test that theory and let's see what happens.

Seriously. Give it a try.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 12, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Ok, ok, I have another one for you here. I just remembered....

Back after Ray Lewis was under suspect for that double murder, a friend of mine bought Ray's jersey. He was/is a season ticket holder.

Anyway, he bought the jersey (after Ray was cleared) and instead of "Lewis" he put "KILLER" on the back of it and wore it to games.

True story.

Don't you think that is hypocritical Dan??? What kind of message does that send???

Maybe the NBA had all kinds of people ordering Gil jersies saying "GUNNER" on the back, or maybe instead of "0" they put "#2" or something. ;)

You're trying to make this personal against "the man" and it just doesn't work.

Gil did this all on his own, I can't recall you writing about that. If someone is dumb enough to buy his jersey great. More power to them.

It's thier money.

Oh, and tell Mike Wise I have been a Caps fan since "Save the Caps." I'm sure he doesn't remember that.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 12, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

"If they still sell his jersey, we'll ask why they're profiting off of a man who isn't allowed to play or earn a paycheck. And if they stop selling his jersey, we'll accuse them of purging his memory from the world."

No, the real issue is that the NBA and Bullets, ur, Wizards haven't yet said what they plan to do with Gilbert. We know Stern's pissed, but not precisely why. We know Gilbert's suspended, but we really don't have any idea why. We know the Wizards have a huge contract with Arenas, but we're not sure if Jerseygate is a sign that they're going to try to break it.

This is a colossal Communications/PR Fail by the NBA and the Wizards. Until we get somebody saying what's going to happen -- that they're going to wait for the DC police/feds/whoever to finish their investigation to end before deciding, that lawyers are already looking to drop Arenas' contract, that Leonsis is likely to buy the Wizards and doesn't want Arenas "because" of the action, whatever -- until we get a solid word, your speculation and wild tea leaf readings are about all we've got.

I mean, at this point, we don't even know for sure that Gilbert isn't coming back next week and playing in DC for the duration of his contract. The state of limbo is the fault of the NBA, not The Bog. There are too many subtexts still shaking out under this practical joke gone bad that are, ultimately, going to play revisionist history with The Showdown at Hibachi Corral once they finally decide how they'd best like to exploit the situation.

Money weirds communication.

Posted by: WorstSeat | January 12, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

"We know Gilbert's suspended, but we really don't have any idea why."

Sorry, we know *why*, but not *how long*. I need a Bog Editor.

The point is that the powers that be could let us know what's up now. If Gilbert is charged with a crime, they'll do X. If not, Y. Instead, the silence is an indication that the spin control is biding their time to see how best to leverage what finally happens. It's lazy, selfish, and ultimately unfair PR.

Posted by: WorstSeat | January 12, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

No worstseat, this situation is not a colossal Communications/PR Fail. There are way way way too many variables/factors possibilities/ for the powers that be to speculate at this time. Bad PR would be spewing wild ass guesses to placate your impatience.

Posted by: briffy | January 13, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Worstseat, very insightful comments bro. I couldn't agree more. Again, I am convinced this would have gone down entir ely differently if Abe were still around.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 13, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

who the hell wants an arenas wizards jersey? It will soon be an anachronism, as he won't be wearing one himself ever again.

Posted by: bigtriumverate | January 13, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse