Ovechkin on Arenas: "I support him"

A certain baldheaded co-worker of mine made the monumental mistake of writing "[W]ith all due respect, it's hockey," this week, words that will be held over all of our heads for the rest of time.

Caps PR guru Nate Ewell called it "a nice gut-punch to start the day," to which the brilliant Japers Rink responded, "Have you tried convincing Brooks Laich to poop in someone's skate? That'd help increase coverage."

And frankly, it probably would. Barring that, though, we can always ask Alex Ovechkin about Gilbert Arenas, which Lindsay Czarniak did last week. Poop or no poop, it seems noteworthy to me when one of D.C.'s two highest-paid athletes is commenting on the other one. So I'll quote Ovechkin's response when Lindsay asked him about taking over the captaincy and the importance of setting a good example, in light of the Gilbert business.

"Well, it's pretty sad to hear what happened to Gilbert," Ovechkin said. "You know, he's a great player, great leader of his team. Lots of fans come here to watch his game. So it's happened, he have to [deal with] what's going on and I wish him good luck. I think [about] Gilbert, I support him, but some people just don't realize maybe it was just a joke. It can be worse, but still, I support him, and all our organization do support him too."

Czarniak also asked Ovechkin about becoming teammates with Jason Chimera, first learning he was the captain, and whether he has to change anything about his game with a C.

"Well, um, no," Ovechkin said. "Maybe just wake up a little bit early, to be in practice rink a little bit early. And just hang around more."

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 12, 2010; 10:38 AM ET
Categories:  Caps , Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Are the Wizards being hypocritical on guns?
Next: Jim Zorn broke down game film with Dan Snyder

Comments

In mother russia gun shoots you!

Posted by: JDP_ | January 12, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Got it, this post is the cyber equivalent of a pity F.

Posted by: Section117 | January 12, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Dan, thank you for posting this. Mr. Wise's comment made me lose most of the respect I had for him, and it's nice to see that the entire WaPo sports section doesn't feel that way.

Posted by: JakeShapiro | January 12, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

"with all due respect" my bubbly hairy arse. That statement was made without any respect at all. Why do people think saying "with all due respect allows you to say anything at all immediately after? It's lazy tired writing, too, shameful garbage from Wise.

Hey Wise, with all due respect, I hope you contract AIDS.

Posted by: ThisGuy | January 12, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Dan stop.

It's time to move one dude.

What's Ovie gonna say?

"Well, you know Arenas is a real dumba$$. Now that I have this "C" on my chest I think can say what I really want to."

Dude, just stop. It's old news.

What are you going to write about when Gil is charged with weapons posession??

"Awww waahhhh, it's the Wizards fault! Waahhhh!"

Oh, and I have been watching the Bullets/Wizards a long time and the worst that I can remember a Bullet ever doing is eating himself out of the league. By your connotation they should ban the name "Wizards" since THE PLAYERS who have done pretty serious things were wearing that uniform, not the Bullets uni.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 12, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: poguesmahone | January 12, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I don't take much stock in Wise's comment anyway. After all, it's just a newspaper.

Posted by: VooDooChile987 | January 12, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

"Steinberg: Given that Wise's radio show isn't doing all that well and the Post has had its issues with dropping subscribers, why would Wise go out of his way to alienate fans of the number two pro sports team in the market? Perhaps he is really as big a jackass as Kornheiser claims he is?"

Posted by: poguesmahone | January 12, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

----

Amen to above. Wise is a clown. His show is terrible. He isn't interesting, and more than anything, he is quite tedious. I can't wait for this hack to have his pathetic radio show canceled.

Posted by: gfsportsfan | January 12, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Come on, I love hockey and the Caps as much as anyone but some of you ladies need to grow a thicker skin. Wise was obviously (mostly) kidding and I just laughed when I read that because I found it funny.

Grow a pair, order a sense of humor, and get on with your lives.

Posted by: playahatah | January 12, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Here is another quote, and more appropriate I would say:

"So it's happened, he have to [deal with] what's going on and I wish him good luck"

Why make it sound like OV supports the foolishness of Arena? You my friend are taken advantage of OV's limitations on the English language

Posted by: hock1 | January 12, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Ovy is the man. Is there anything else to this discussion?

Didn't think so.

Posted by: CF11555 | January 12, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

playatah: I see no indication that Wise was kidding and Steinberg obviously didn't think he was kidding. I think you're the one that needs to grow a pair and shows some guts.

Posted by: poguesmahone | January 12, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Good for Ovie. When this whole thing blows over and the feds/local authorities give Gilbert a slap on the wrist, the Wizards and the NBA are going to look pretty f'ing stupid.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 12, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Grow a pair, order a sense of humor, and get on with your lives.

Posted by: playahatah | January 12, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

If his comment was funny in any way whatsoever, I doubt anyone would care. It might have been funny in 2004 when hockey jokes were the hot thing. If you actually found that comment funny, I have a 10 season DVD box set of MADTV I'd like to sell you.

Posted by: ThisGuy | January 12, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Ovie's learned how to play the game with the media. Don't give 'em anything negative to blow up into a story. Just give some meaningless words of encouragement and support to Gilbert and dispose of the reporter post haste. In his own mind Ovie realizes that Arenas is an idiot, but he's not gonna get himself in trouble by saying it..

Posted by: randysbailin | January 12, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Wise went on COMCAST Sportsnet today and further tried to incite Caps fans. It is pretty obvious that what he is doing is trying to gin up a big controversy to help his poorly rated sportstalk show on WJFK. It is kind of like a WWE wrestler ranting about his opponent at the next match. Rather pathetic that Wise would need to stoop to that. I would urge Caps fans NOT to listen to the clown. He's a carbetbagging loser that should be on his way out of town any day now.

Posted by: poguesmahone | January 12, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

I knew when I read that hockey comment dozens of fans would be upset.

Posted by: mack1 | January 12, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

WaPo sports has been dead to me for years. I choose to read Steinz because he is the man and offers a different angle on the teams I care about. If it weren't for the Bog, I wouldn't be reading WaPo whatsoever. All the news I want to read can be found by better writers elsewhere on the web anyways. I found Wise's comment incredibly stupid, but not insulting personally. It's just more evidence that WaPo sports is behind the curve on what we readers would like to read about. Like someone said before me: why go out of your way to alienate fans further?

The reporter asking Ovi that question should be expected. I mean everyone else has been asked the question, why not get a comment from Ovi? The only difference is Ovi's response is going to be on the news and the internet where Gil haters and Gil supporters can both see what he has to say. The obvious public response from Ovi is that he supports Arenas. He never condoned Gil's actions; he merely said Gil has his support. Notice how Ovi didn't say something like "with all due respect, Gil is an idiot" and risk alienating any hardcore Gil fans that might have a budding interest in the Caps. Wise could take a lesson from Ovi.

Posted by: MillBurray | January 13, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Poor Tarik, stuck on a paper (at least the Sports section) intent on driving itself off the cliff. Would it be too much to hire a *second* staffer who gives a * about hockey and let her/him write a column? In the meantime, Wise's comment eloquently demonstrates why Post readers who follow the only decent sports team in time are abandoning it in droves for the blogs.

Posted by: jhershb | January 13, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I knew when I read that hockey comment dozens of fans would be upset.

Posted by: mack1 | January 12, 2010 7:46 PM

More than "dozens" of fans have been at hockey games since the sport's inception.

Too bad it only took "dozens"of brains cells to come up with that ignorant joke.

Posted by: Chase4 | January 13, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse