Pittsburgh fans and Ovechkin

I think it's pretty well-documented that Caps fans have a certain fascination with Sidney Crosby, from the Pacifier handouts to the signs and jerseys to the photoshopped posters to the urinal-cake art to even more t-shirts, etc.

I'm pretty sure sentiment about Alex Ovechkin runs the same in Pittsburgh, but it's a lot less visible in the crowd, or at least it was on Thursday night. Here are the things that are more noticeable about that crowd:

1) Fewer personalized jerseys than in D.C. Without any doubt. I wandered the concourse for 30 minutes and didn't see more than three or four.

2) More football jerseys. I guess this makes sense; the Steelers wear the same colors, plus they win.

3) Less color coordination. Those blue sweaters might be cool, but it really dilutes the message.

Anyhow, the crowd booed the heck out of Ovechkin every time he breathed--"It's great," he said, "I think the fans love me"--but there just weren't too many props, shirts, posters or jerseys to that effect.

I did meet Steve Mazefsky, the man on the left above, who has a large jersey collection, including many personalized jerseys of the Pens' rivals. This sweater is one of three Caps models he owns; the others include a "Munchkin" model and a "Pens' [subservient whipping persons]" sweater, which he doesn't bring any more because the ushers nixed it for taste.

"Crosby gets enough [grief] in the Verizon Center, it's only fair to repay it," he told me, in between posing for endless cell phone shots.

I also met possibly the best costumed fan ever in Josh Henry, a 20-year old student who has this knack for dressing like George Costanza. On special occasions, he shaves his head just so, puts on the outfit, and voila. He also hates Ovechkin.

"Just because he's such a scumbag," Henry explained. "He's a head hunter."

"We hate him," added his friend, Dane. "Hate him."

They described Ovechkin as Pittsburgh's most-hated athlete, in fact. Oh, and they said Ovi stared at the Costanza look-a-like during warmups and chuckled. I don't care what his sign said; he gets nothing but respect.

And then there are the banners. At least some of these banners were in the arena during the playoff series a year ago, and they had an impossibly magnetic effect on my eyes during breaks in play. "Stuff Ovenchicken." I just can't get over that.

All in all, though, I absolutely would have expected more photo-ops featuring anti-Ovechkin or anti-Caps sentiments. Pittsburgh comes to D.C. on Super Bowl Sunday, and I'll bet that game produces more pre-game art.

(PS: Every time I write anything that involves the words "Pittsburgh" and "fans," I get vile anonymous hate mail. I really don't think I wrote anything offensive this time. I challenge you to find the word "mullet" anywhere in here. So no hate mail, please.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 22, 2010; 9:42 AM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Alexander Semin's game-winning pass
Next: Caps rank well in national jersey sales

Comments

Hey look - a fat Pittsburgh fan. What are the odds...

Posted by: jmuandy | January 22, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Until the Caps get the rather large Penguin-shaped monkey off their back and actually beat the Pens in the playoffs, I'd keep the crowing over a regular season win to a minimum. Especially since the Pens were without their No. 1 goalie and without two key penalty killers.

Posted by: Steelers36 | January 22, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

The best part of that story was the picture at the bottom. The subject-verb agreement in that poster is crucial towards understanding Pittsburgh and the fans.

Posted by: gocaps99 | January 22, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Steelers36 - not crowing here. Was just one game in an 82 game regular season. But we were without Varlamov, Green, Erskine, and Pothier as well.

Posted by: jmuandy | January 22, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

The above sign was produced without the aid of a calculator or abacus.

Posted by: chopin224 | January 22, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

That arena looks so brutal. Pretty fitting for how their fans look as well.

Posted by: Mtortora | January 22, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Pissburgh fans are human scum. That's all.

Posted by: poguesmahone | January 22, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

When they were doing crowd scans, I saw 1 good looking person. She was wearing a Caps jersey.

Posted by: colerwilson | January 22, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Pittsburgh fans have to be among the most hideous to look at in the entire NHL. Did you see the one girl in the Caps jersey CSN kept panning to, fairly fit, you knew she wasn't a Penn's fan without the jersy.

Posted by: dhartogs | January 22, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I'm just amazed that someone in Western Pennsylvania had enough money to pay for all the customization on the "O VAG KIN" jersey.

Posted by: Kev29 | January 22, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

For whatever reasons, Pittsburgh fans seem to be a little more into their own team than ragging on the opponent. With Philly and Wash fans, it seems their hatred of Crosby is in danger of eclipsing what you would think a fan's primary goal would be: to root for their own team. Not to say that Pittsburgh fans won't boo or be classless at times, but they just aren't normally as focused on denigrating the other team.

I mean, how can you have as great a player as Ovechkin and waste so much time and energy figuring out ways to let the world know how much Crosby sucks?

I think it is kind of a psychosis brought on by losing to the Pens -- something Philly and Washington have done so much lately in the playoffs. You get so hung up on the team that beats you that your hatred of them becomes too singular a focus.

I hope that when the inevitable happens and the Caps and Flyers finally exercise their demons against the Pens, the balance might shift a bit.

Appreciate what you have people! Focus on him! Not that guy who allegedly sucks.

Posted by: slipstream1 | January 22, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Yes, we need a championship ring, and good for Pittsburgh that they have one, but we have something that Pittsburdh doesn't; in Ovi we have the greatest hockey player in the world.

Posted by: justchecking1 | January 22, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

slipstream1 sucks

Posted by: Mtortora | January 22, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

It's kind-of amazing how insecure Caps fans are. Does making fun of people from Pittsburgh really take the sting out of continually losing to the Pens in the playoffs?

Posted by: Steelers36 | January 22, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Freud, I mean slipstream1. We'll take it from here.

Posted by: Moose33 | January 22, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Steelers36 | January 22, 2010 10:39 AM

It actually does a little bit. I feel much better having read the emails from fellow caps fan. Why don't you go park your car on train tracks and take a nap.

Posted by: Moose33 | January 22, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I love that the guys with the Math Does Not Lie sign did not use some basic geometry to fit all that onto the same sign.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 22, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Pens fans aren't going to be obsessed with the Caps until the Caps win a couple of playoff series against the Pens. Why would they care about a team they keep beating in the playoffs. The Pens have their own main rivals, the teams in their division. I think the problem is that the Caps play in such a lousy division with teams who play so far away. All of the five Atlantic Division teams are closer to DC than Raliegh while Boston, Buffalo, Montreal, Ottawa, and Toronto are all closer to DC than Atlanta. I think this makes Caps fans more focused on teams like the Pens and Flyers, who are not only playing better than those teams in the Southeast Division but which are also closer so their fan base is more visible in DC, than fans from those teams would be on a team they only play four times a season.

Posted by: LionelMandrake | January 22, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

@Moose33 - I might take your advice under consdieration, but I'm still basking in the glow of the Stanley Cup and Lombardi Trophy. When was the last time a team from D.C. won something? Ah, that might be a sore subject...

Posted by: Steelers36 | January 22, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Steelers36 must be fromm Pittsburgh; He doesn't work therefore has plenty of time to cruise washingtonpost.com.

Posted by: Mtortora | January 22, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Yeah Dan... looks like you'll never have a mullet!

Posted by: ecostello | January 22, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Let's see -- Ovie has won two straight Hart Trophies, compared to Crybaby Crosby's how many again? Yeah, I thought so...only one...

And don't start with the "Crosby has his name on The Cup" crap -- he had far less to do with that than Malkin and his teammates (and refs who listen to his crying and whining) did; if that wasn't the case, maybe he'd have won the Hart last year too. But he didn't. Cuz Ovie did. And will again this year, when the Caps win The Cup too.

Posted by: gr8day4bsbll | January 22, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Hey Steelers36 -- how far do you think the Stillers will go in the playoffs THIS year?

Oh wait...

Posted by: gr8day4bsbll | January 22, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

That lumpy guy is 20 years old? Damn, that really brightened my day.

Posted by: LouLewis | January 22, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

man those girls from pittsburgh are ugly, no wonder big ben had to.......

Posted by: _stevo | January 22, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

@Steelers86

Yeah, because sports mean everything in life. I'll just bask in the glow of a better quality of life here in the DC area while you bask in the glow of unemployment checks and the run down steel mills in your part of the rust belt. There's a reason anyone with half a brain from the 'burgh moves down here.

I'll take that over a local sports team winning a championship.

Posted by: jsnyd1 | January 22, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ecostello | January 22, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Actually the main thing I always notice is how quiet the Pittsburgh crowd is compared to Verizon center, not even close. They couldn't even muster a halfway decent 'Lets go Pens' chant, the announcer had to tell us what the chant was.

Posted by: thedude1974 | January 22, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

@ecostello

The thing is, pretty much all the people posting on this board live in VA or MD, right outside of DC, where there's some of the lowest unemployment rates in the country. Most people who work in DC don't live there (there's not much room to live in a city that can't expand it's boarders by law). It's also one of the most, if not the most, educated areas in the country with one of the highest average incomes. Can't say that about the 'burgh, can you? Just face it, you live in a dirty, dirty town, one step up from Milwaukee and Detroit.

Have you ever been to the area around the Verizon Center? You probably couldn't afford to by a drink down there now a days.

Posted by: jsnyd1 | January 22, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

"and the arena's neighborhood is a favorite of winos, crackheads and the LGBT crowd. "

BWAHAHAHA!!! Actually Ecostello, if you could afford a bus ticket to Penn Quarter you'd realize what a misinformed fool you sound like.

Posted by: thedude1974 | January 22, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

"MVP comes easy when the rest of the team is composed of nobodies, the fanbase (prior to Ovechkin's arrival) nonexistent, the owner is a greasy, 17-chinned fat pansy who picks fights with the few fans who show up, and the arena built in a city where skyrocketing unemployment exceeds 12% (a full 4% higher than Pittsburgh), housing values are plummeting 30%, and the arena's neighborhood is a favorite of winos, crackheads and the LGBT crowd. The truth hurts D.C. Get back in the unemployment line you south-of-the-Mason-Dixon hillbillies."

This might be the dumbest post EVER on this site. Pittsburgh calling DC Hillbillies, bwahahahahahaha.

Dude, your sister is probably also your kids mom.

Posted by: JDB1 | January 22, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I dont understand why this guy is so afraid of the LGBT's?

Posted by: alex35332 | January 22, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Cause he's from Pittsburgh. Guys who wear flannel shirts out to dinner are afraid of LGBTs.

Posted by: jsnyd1 | January 22, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

If anyone has ever been to Pittsburgh you would know why all their fans move to the DC area. They don't even want to live there.

Posted by: JDR1970 | January 22, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JDR1970
_________________________________________

I see through your lies, spin and propaganda, because I know the Verizon Center neighborhood well. I had the misfortune of briefly living just blocks away in NW. I also tried Silver Spring, Arlington, Alexandria and Annapolis. Sure, many people move to the region. But after several years I came to the same conclusion as everyone else who mvoes AWAY from the area, easily making it the East Coast's most transient town. Washington, DC, is a complete dump filled with, yes, southern-fried hillbillies. Sux to be you.

Posted by: ecostello | January 22, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

people in pittsburgh consider a jersey "formalwear"

Posted by: _stevo | January 22, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

.....The truth hurts D.C. Get back in the unemployment line you south-of-the-Mason-Dixon hillbillies.

Posted by: ecostello

Ha ha ha! I missed some good troll action. It means we are doing well, right? This is when they start surfacing. Seriously though this one, "ecostello," has really written a highly educational post, albeit disguised as vulgar rambling.

For one thing, he has covered all bases: the whole team ("nobodies"); the fans (non-existent before Ovie): the owner (a greasy, 17-chinned fat pansy); Caps past; and the city ("where skyrocketing unemployment exceeds 12%).

This ecostello is not just any sour troll. Not at all. He is a deep thinker, sociologist and cultural analyst. If we read carefully this very educational posting, we learn that unemployment in DC is "a full 4% higher than Pittsburgh." We learn a lot about our real estate market -- "housing values are plummeting 30%, and the arena's neighborhood is a favorite of winos, crackheads and the LGBT crowd."

Most of all, however, we gain deep self knowledge and awareness of our character as "south-of-the-Mason-Dixon hillbillies," and get a sense of direction for the future and the will to "get back in the unemployment line."

Wow! Personally, I learned a lot this morning and declare Costello to be the best troll in recent history.

Posted by: caraveli | January 22, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Not to beat a dead horse ecost, but i commute from pa to bmore every day and I have seen way more confederate flags and hill billys in so PA than anywhere in MD or DC.

Virginia, well thats another story all together.

Posted by: Zeebs | January 22, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Lol @ elvis, I think you just looked on google maps and picked some cities in the area. You know that VC is like right up the street from Constitution Ave and one of the most expensive places to live in the country, right? Same thing with Arlington and Alexandria. Now if you said Tacoma Park or any of the Heights, I might agree with you.

And the hillbillies thing is funny..we don't have a Golden Corral, a Cracker Barrel, or an Old Country Buffet on every corner. Or wear flannel shirts to hockey games.

Posted by: jsnyd1 | January 22, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Next I bet he says he lived in Potomac or Chevy Chase.

Posted by: jsnyd1 | January 22, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

It's a shame, too. E Costello had some great songs back in the day like "Radio Radio." Now he's living in Pittsburgh and reduced to trolling on Caps blogs.

Posted by: TheLeaver | January 22, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

He's that bald at 20? As a fellow bald man, I wasn't that way until my late 20s/early 30s. The guy might want to see someone about premature aging. Back me up on this one, Dan. See you at the bald club tonight?

Posted by: oldtimehockey | January 22, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Well I sure am getting a chuckle today at all of the Pens fans trolls. All the posturing, the trash talk, and making idiotic statements when in fact they are on a Capitals blog after a big Caps win in a game that was highlighted across the NHL.

The insecurity of these particular Pens fans is astounding. This poster is not on Pens boards talking trash. I prefer to come here and engage with fellow Caps fans about the great game last night, played so well not only by our Captain Alex the Great, but also by the rest of our highly skilled team. What a great night!

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | January 22, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

FYI I just went to this website. http://www.bls.gov/web/laummtrk.htm

Government website for unemployment by region:
DC unemployment 6.1%
Pitts 7.5%

You know that education system in western PA is top notch.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 22, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

BTW I am not even a hard core hockey guy, but I will defend my city!

Posted by: alex35332 | January 22, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

ecost, you're really not a convincing liar. No way the guards posted by the "You must have this many teeth" sign would have allowed you past the border.

Posted by: thedude1974 | January 22, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

@caraveli

Ahh but did you not catch the drunken Pens troll on the CI blog last night--Sean something. Once he admitted that he HAD been drinking I tuned him out as I read posts from fellow Caps fans. Their opinion matters much more to me.

I really am getting a good laugh out of the troll commentary. They really come out of the woodwork at times like this--don't they.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | January 22, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

When you Pittsburgh fans bask in the glow of your more recent Stanley Cup and Lombardi trophies, do you contemplate (big SAT word, we know) the 21 seconds and phantom TD's?

Posted by: CapsNut | January 22, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I thought the castanza look-alike was a female pens fan. they all look the same to me.

Posted by: MNMNT | January 22, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Captain Caveman > Captain Tofu

'nuff said!

Posted by: Rhino40 | January 22, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Penguin Fans = Hogs and Hillbillies

Posted by: ridgely1 | January 22, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

"Math doesn't lie, 71 and 87 greater than 8"
Not even combined are they.

Posted by: jmy999 | January 22, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Capsyoungguns: Oh no! I missed the drunken Pen fan. I guess I am not as learned and meticulous about the pursuit of knowledge as I thought.

Posted by: caraveli | January 22, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Math doesn't lie? lol

Posted by: MarylanDChris | January 22, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Isn't Pittsburgh kind of a dump-town?

I've never been but that's what I heard. I try to stay away from towns where there is a high percentage of people who are both brothers and fathers of the same person.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 22, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

"Math doesn't lie..."

I agree and the Caps are 1-0 against Pittsburg this year. :)

The Caps are better then Pitt this year, you could see it last night. When they went up on Pitt, they just gave up.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 22, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I like how the Pittsburgh people are spinning the lack of signs, etc. by saying that they are cheering for their own team instead of denigrating the opponent. No, the obvious reason for the disparity is that Washington fans are much more passionate then the Pens fans. You watch a home game on TV and the Caps are constantly cheering Let's Go Caps -- I didn't hear that until once or twice in the third period last night. They simply aren't as into their team as much as we are of ours.

Posted by: TheOtherGuyInSection117 | January 22, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Steelers36

OK, I buy the not crowing part until they win the playoffs.

But you do realize the Caps were playing with their No. 2 goalie and without an all-star Dman who leads all NHL defensemen in scoring (Green)?

Posted by: sparman | January 22, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

My question is, if Pittsburgh and their fans are so great why was the team so close to moving not all that long ago?

Never hear about the Caps possibly skipping town.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 22, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

This is one of the funniest threads of internet trashtalking I've ever seen. Especially that eco guy. Don't know how I missed all those banjoes and fried chicken buckets around the Verizon center all these years.

Posted by: jec4p | January 22, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Pittsburgh: the city of champions...and the Pirates

Posted by: ecglotfelty | January 22, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I am just so glad that the folks in pittsburgh can add. We have some real mathmaticians up there.

Posted by: rockinthered1 | January 22, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Gonna follow the same line as rmcazz.

Math doesn't lie!!!

CAPS 6
Pens 3

But stupid Pens fans think jersey numbers are more important than the final score. We all know Ovechkin is better than both of them. Seriously, where did Malkin and Crsoby go in the third period, especially Malkin? I think he thought the game ended after the 2nd period cuz he disappeared.

Posted by: rachel216 | January 22, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

The above sign was produced without the aid of a calculator or abacus.

Posted by: chopin224 | January 22, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Yes, but 5 Pens fans did have to take off their gloves, shoes and socks . . .

Posted by: rbpalmer | January 22, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Actually, no, with the extra fingers and toes, it only took 4.

Posted by: rbpalmer | January 22, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

All my in-laws are Pitt. fans for everything... Caps have to beat them in the playoffs before it becomes a equal two way rivalry...

But with that said - Pittsburgh fans do not travel well - I get so tired of hearing that - they have moved away from Piitsburgh!! Just stop anyone who is white and in NOVA - 1 out of 4 will be from PA...

Posted by: mockymock | January 22, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

@Steelers36 Caps have been without their #1 goalie Varlamov since December 7th take a loss

Posted by: chasepyke | January 22, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

No need to waste energy trashtalking with pens fans. All they gotta do is look at the final score again. CAPS 6 Pens 3.

Posted by: rachel216 | January 22, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Caps fans: Please be careful with all the "Math doesn't lie" stuff. The Penguin fans have been misreading it as "Meth doesn't lie" and gotten so excited they've taken off early from looking for work to get their Friday night fix from their Amish dealers.

Posted by: minorthread | January 22, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Pittsburgh would love to have Ovechkin. Besides tnat , their banners and jerseys are just plain stupid, but so are the fans.

Posted by: DCFanatic | January 22, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

My Aim is True.

Posted by: ecostello | January 22, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I eat pittsburgh fans for breakfast

Posted by: Braaaaah | January 22, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I've always been curious about this: Everyone knows that people move away from Pittsburgh because it's such a crap town, so why are they always bragging about being from there?

Posted by: Terpsrule | January 22, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I hate how penguins fans keep saying how they lost because they didn't have fleury or dupree. GET OVER IT!

The Caps didn't have Mike Green, Semyon Varlamov and they had to practically start two underutilized defensemen in Carl Alzner and John Carlson.

BTW when did Crosby teach Malkin how to cry and whine, cause I could've sworn I saw two babies on the ice who needed time outs.

Posted by: gr8t | January 22, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Reading this makes me wish the DC sniper had gotten quite a few more kills.

Posted by: bigmuthafcknmac | January 22, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Awwwwwww bigmuth, I hope we didn't hurt yo wittle feelings too much. Poor baby.

That said I guess the truth hurts.

Posted by: thedude1974 | January 22, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Stop the hate. Lets all enjoy hockey. Who cares what some loser from Pittsburgh thinks or posts. Their comments are completely pointless. Stop taking the bait.

Posted by: pkme | January 22, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I think the rather large man holding the sign looks like George Costanza, and I am sure Ovie could give a Russian crap who he is or what he thinks.

"Gocaps99" is correct; the verb in the sign should read "Are."

Lets Go Caps!

Posted by: Thespyder01 | January 22, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

With all due respect, it's just Pittsburg...

Posted by: jhorstma | January 22, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

bigmuthafcknmac: Wow. Someone is a little sensitive here. Wishing death on people? You're taking this way too far, calm down. Sorry your team lost.

Posted by: rachel216 | January 22, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

I know I am an insecure Caps fan. I constantly spend time on the Pens blog saying mean things about the Caps. Actually though, I was watching the game, and noticed what I thought to be a hybrid fan jersey! It looked like it was black and red! Then the camera panned in, and I could see it was a Pittsburg uniform with blood around the cuff. Seems like one of the Pens fans couldn't get enough nachos for their money, so they were gnawing at their fingers. Of all the things! I kind of feel sorry for Pittsburg fans this year. I would have a hard time adjusting to the fact that all the best players on my team look rather fem.. "C'mon girls! They made Cindy cry again! Let's get those brutes!!" Does any Caps fan really hate the Pens? Yes, they do have some talent, but hate them? I'm surprised none of the Pens fans that have to defend their team on the Caps blog, didn't use some emotional reason for their team's loss. Crysby did look like she was having a bad hair day.

Posted by: coastallp74 | January 22, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

I don't think I've ever woke up one day and said I wanted to move to Pissburgh. Nah. Sorry.

Posted by: MNMNT | January 22, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

alisterio

Posted by: Alisterio | January 22, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Every time I ask a Pittsburgh fan "If you're city is so great, why do you live here" I swear I can hear crickets.

Let's remember, about Crosby, that last year ESPN asked PLAYERS to weigh in on a couple of non-standard "awards".

Crosby, however, won the biggest complainer by a landslide with 52% of the votes.

Posted by: Alisterio | January 22, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Why did Coach Cowher retire to Carolina?

Posted by: NorthFork1 | January 22, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

So what y'all are saying is flannel is bad. And I shouldn't be kissin my sister even if she is kinda cute?

Posted by: PennHillsBubba | January 23, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, I enjoy every Pens/Caps game. The talent on the ice is amazing, and the 7 game series last year was the best I've ever seen. Here's hoping for a sequel.

Posted by: PennHillsBubba | January 23, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

"the Steelers wear the same colors, plus they win." - you gotta keep your blog UP TO DATE sir ... and don't make it sound like Pens don't win!

besides all the Pens signs are way more classy and less obnoxious ... thats because Penguins fans actually know about hockey and care about the sport ... most Pens fans choose to cheer up their own team than put down their opponent ... stay classy DC ... NOT!

Posted by: usbzoso | January 23, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

To all the "special" Caps fans that can't figure out the last sign i am going to break it down for you. I am really sorry you couldn't figure this out on your own ... i mean this is not rocket science. Look at the last picture where it says "MATH DOESN'T LIE #71 and #87 IS GREATER THAN # 8" ... Its obvious from the picture that the sign originally read ... "MATH DOESN'T LIE #71 IS GREATER THAN #8" (notice the correct English) ... the "#87" part was added later on. Enjoy :-) and LETS GO PENS!!!

Posted by: usbzoso | January 23, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

"STUFF OVENCHICKEN?" I don't get it....

Posted by: TheSuperhoo | January 23, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

The reason you don't see many personalized jerseys is because "real" hockey fans don't do that. The ones you see in the Burgh are fans newer to the game. In Washington, many jumped on board recently, so they think they're being funny when actually, they're just proving they're not "real" fans of the game. Check out the Jersey Bill of Rights for more.

It started in Pittsburgh, yes, but has now been referenced nationwide.

Posted by: msmccormick3 | January 23, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

It's too bad so many Pittsburgers move to our area...I am so tired of seeing Steelers bumper stickers and license plate frames. Seriously, Pittsburgh must really be in the pits because everyone has to move out apparently.

Posted by: rocotten | January 23, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I mean....did a pittsburgh fan really say that our fanbase was non-existent before Ovechkin came to town? I guess he's one of those bandwagon jumping Pens fans who forget how they were getting ready to move the team out of town before Lemieux bailed them out of bankruptcy, and then Crosby showed up? Pot. Kettle. Black.

Posted by: GKINMD | January 23, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Hey look - a fat Pittsburgh fan. What are the odds...

Posted by: jmuandy | January 22, 2010 9:56 AM |

hahahahahahaha hilarious

Posted by: Moco1 | January 23, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

What do you call a good looking person in Pittsburgh? A visitor. Yuk yuk yuk!

Posted by: jamesacarroll | January 23, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Fact is, earlier this decade, Pissburgh's attendance was 11,500 per game. That is way less than the Caps EVER drew.

Posted by: poguesmahone | January 24, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse

The message they convey is:
“Hey Ovechkin
I am George Costanza
I stuffed 71 Oven Chickens
and 87 knee-less penguins and math
does not lie!”

Posted by: Thespyder01 | January 24, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Ah, so nice to see all those signs go to waste.

Posted by: Dlewis10 | January 25, 2010 12:39 AM | Report abuse

Always thought the Caps should be in the Atlantic Division.

It wasn't a factor at the time but if it had stayed that way in the division realignment the best teams and players in the conference would almost all be in the same bracket.

Posted by: leopard09 | January 25, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

The Pittsburgh fan who posted a comment about the LGBT crowd should be afraid of them. The "ladies" in Pittsburgh are part of that crowd and could quite possibly kick the crap out of them and is more manly than their beloved pinup boy. Let's give the Pittsburgh fans credit - they actually know what a computer is. =P

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | January 25, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm confused though. How'd the Pittsburgh fans manage to count up to 71, much less 87??? They only have 10 fingers and 10 toes, plus or minus 4.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | January 25, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I love how that OVAGKIN guy was Rockin The Red.

Posted by: rmontcal | January 25, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Pittsburgh fans can't stand to exept the truth that the capitals have a star that is a man and the penguins have a star that is a boy.

Posted by: Dlewis10 | January 25, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse