Redskins to install HD video screens at FedEx

(Courtesy Washington Redskins.)

This week, the Washington Redskins began mailing letters to their general admission and premium club seat ticket holders, informing them of significant changes to the in-game video experience, headlined by two 30 feet tall by 100 feet wide high-definition video boards, one in each end zone. More details here.

Now, there are two ways fans could react to this news. (And no, drunken indifference is not an option. It's the offseason.) Some fans will say it's about time, that after living with a scoreboard nicknamed The Lite Brite and a video board that seemed smaller than Albert Haynesworth, the franchise owed season ticket holders this much and more. They'll talk about the lack of out-of-town scores and in-game stats, and the 28-by-28 feet JumboTron that hadn't been updated in 13 years, and the high-def screens in Philadelphia and Baltimore, and the in-game experience at FedEx that Sports Illustrated rated 28th out of 32 teams in 2007.

But because I'm an optimist, I'm choosing to take a different point of view. Redskins fans this fall were as angry as local observers could remember. They demanded change. And whatever the reason, no matter how late the hour, some signs of change have arrived.

Fans wanted a general manager, and they got one in December. They wanted Daniel Snyder to take a step back, and while it's early, at least there are public nods in that direction. And they wanted the game-day experience to leave the 20th century; this is a first step. If you demand something, and then it happens, you can hardly complain that it only happened because you demanded it.

So what does this letter announce? There will be the HD boards in both end zones, replacing the comically small scoreboards, the old JumboTrons, and two end zone billboards. The big screens, which should be in place for the preseason, can be split into a variety of configurations; for example, displaying the same replay from different angles simultaneously, or showing replays and stats at the same time. There will be 10 other new screens in the lower bowl, from the game clocks to the time clocks to the out-of-town scoreboard displays, which will be equipped to also convey game stats and fantasy football totals.

Obviously we need to wait and see how it all looks, but these sound to me like massive upgrades.

"I think Dan Snyder's finally realizing that he doesn't have an endless supply of fans, so the product on the field has to be improved and the amenities have to be improved as well," said Mike Broderick, one of the franchise's most vocal critics during the past fall. "At least they're trying," he added, which is the angle I'm going for.

"It's about time that they actually gave back to the fans as opposed to just taking money from them with nothing to show for it," said Ted Abela, another of my go-to fan voices.

The big boards will compare in size quite favorably to other models in the close vicinity. Philadelphia's Lincoln Financial Field has two 27-by-96 foot screens. Baltimore's M&T Bank Stadium has two 24-by-100 foot screens. Charlotte's Bank of America Stadium has a 31.5-by-77 foot screen.

(And yes, Dave McKenna has been predicting this for weeks. And yes, Brian Murphy gets credit for breaking this one.)

The old board. (1999 photo by Michael Williamson)

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 19, 2010; 8:29 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps fan bloodied by flying puck
Next: Jose Theodore gets an ovation

Comments

It's about time. And now how about that practice bubble?

Posted by: tidalwave1 | January 19, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Vinny gone...
A Real GM in...
A credible, winning coach...
Two new Jumbo HD boards...

Begin building your ark now!

Posted by: rickyroge | January 19, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

How big is the Nats' scoreboard?

Posted by: VelocityAtrocity | January 19, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the Nats' scoreboard is 47 x 101. Same width, a bit taller.

Posted by: DanSteinberg1 | January 19, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

This is the biggest complaint I've had for the last two years. Its about time they did something other than build the Audi bar.

Posted by: WhenDoesItStop | January 19, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

While we started a wish list and it is coming to fruition how about more Port-a-potties in the parking lots, also let everyone bring in one bottled water for the September games instead of charging us $5 and always running out of it. Also dont force us to sing Hail to the Redskins during TV timeouts, those should be saved for when we actually score touchdowns. One more thing, how about spreading out the green lots so that 75% of all cars are parked in one lot, when I walk to the stadium the orange and purple lots are deserted and the green lot is packed. Is this too much to ask Dan?

Posted by: feltym5 | January 19, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

"along with the pole dancers and the playoff losses and the kicker that can't make clutch field goals, but they can keep all that."

Just wanted to tell you that we, the true fans of the Washington Redskins/loyal soldiers of the Burgundy Revolution, appreciate the above line.

Keep up the great work!

Posted by: jgarrisn | January 19, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I've been a football fan since the days when I thought the "Did you see THAT?" graphic at the late Giants Stadium was really neat.

But yeah, sounds like Snyder is trying.

Another mock at the Cowboys Stadium! At least htey've stopped alleging the video board is a target for punts.

Posted by: Nemo24601 | January 20, 2010 12:19 AM | Report abuse

Please leave some money in the budget to upgrade the TV's in the concourses and add some in the rest rooms. Oh yeah, make them in sync with the radio broadcast!

Posted by: VinnyInRichmond | January 20, 2010 12:35 AM | Report abuse

...Of course, that team in Dallas has some sort of 71-by-160 monstrosity, along with the pole dancers and the playoff losses and the kicker that can't make clutch field goals, but they can keep all that.

....and don't forget the inept coaching and playcalling.

Posted by: Predator48 | January 20, 2010 12:54 AM | Report abuse

....and don't forget the inept coaching and playcalling.

Posted by: Predator48 | January 20, 2010 1:04 AM | Report abuse

I have to admit......the fact the screens are bigger than the Ravens screens makes me drool with anticipation...

I never really minded the screens (as I have lower level seats close to the field)....but keep the changes coming.

As long as my tickets stay the same price....I'm happy.

I have season tickets to the RAVENS & REDSKINS......and will say Snyder has treated the general admission ticket holders well (i.e. our ticket prices really haven't increased or changed in years)...as for the Ravens......well....my tickets were 65$ in the late 90s....they are now $ 120.00 a ticket. Yeesh......

Posted by: GoonieGooGoo | January 20, 2010 2:30 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure all the Eagles & Giants fans that invade FedEx field will enjoy the upgrades...

Posted by: peterandmeredith | January 20, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

The cheese on my extra large Nachos was often cold last season. Another item I'd like to see improved from here on out.

Posted by: TheDubb | January 20, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Sure, new TVs at a live event is always welcome news.

However, I take a different approach to this.

After two years of pathetic football and fake field goals...

after overpaying for an overrated lineman, while letting the O-line fade away...

after hiring a GM with a terribly mediocre record who was recently fired for letting his team degenerate to misery...

and after hiring a big name coach whose last three years were mediocre, and who has yet to prove he can win without a quarterback named Elway....

we get Brand New TVs! Woooo Hoooo! I sure hope they get NFL Red Zone.

Posted by: kemp13 | January 20, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

It is about time.

As a season ticket holder up in the rafters...I have always wondered why they didn't have bigger or better screens...they have the perfect place for them.

Either way it is a much need upgrade. I have zero complaints about that.

Next they need to actually show replays and show more out of town scores.

And make sure that those escalators are in working order on game day.

At the same time, in the end it doesn't matter to most people. They will still find a negative in it. This is about a mediocre stadium...not the mediocre team.

Posted by: SmallPen15 | January 20, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

I thought that the reason for not showing the out of town scores and replays was on purpose; in order to get the fans to pay another $50 or whatever to rent the "kangaroo" thingy which let you watch all the other games like haveing direct tv/NFL ticket in the palm of your hand. Looks like Snyder is fianlly caving on this, which will reduce some revenue I suppose. Looks like he might actually be getting the message here.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | January 20, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Now you can see them suck in HD!

Posted by: futbolclif | January 20, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

"Change has come to Raljon."
-Barack Hussein Obama

Posted by: c_e_daniel | January 20, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Wow, great. Now we can watch the poor play of the B&G in HD. Sniders ego at work again. Who gives a natzass about an HD screen?

Posted by: TJDemo | January 20, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I think that the football is far more important than the amenities. RFK had all the fan comforts of a rocky hillside, but they packed 'em in because the football was great.

Posted by: Nemo24601 | January 20, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

A positive development. Now how about a new sound system at Fed Ex. The current one sucks.

Posted by: poguesmahone | January 20, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I like how some Redskins "fans" are finding reasons to complain about this. For the love of everything that is holy, this is a good thing from the Redskins people, enjoy them when you can.

Posted by: PropJoe | January 20, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Stadium upgrades are what owners should be up to...now let's get a few more bathrooms in that dump that don't flood. Also, take some seats out. Yes, out. Making a ticket more rare will make "diehards" less likely to give them up and we'll see a higher ratio of Skins fans rather than Squeeler or Cowpie fans.

Posted by: kevin_rigsby19 | January 20, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I think they should play even more ear-splitting commercials and music at FEDEX. Also, I think the Skins should move to an even more depressing town than Landover - if such a place exists on this planet.

Posted by: nativedc | January 20, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Ok now DOME IT IN so we can get the Super Bowl here, might cost ALOT but hey we are one of the RICHEST FRANCHISE in Pro Sports
Come on Dan DOME IT IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: obxneric | January 20, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Dundalk?

Posted by: glazer68 | January 20, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Good, now they need to fix the damn toilets in the club level men's bathroom. They are always overflowing.

Posted by: doesntmatter | January 20, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PropJoe | January 20, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Amen PropJoe, Amen. Sorry about Marlo by the way, he did you so wrong. You should have never taken him under your wings.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 20, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

The cheeee on your extra large nachos was cold? Have you spoken to Mr. Snyder about this? God, no wonder we suck! Look at our fanbase!

Posted by: mstov | January 20, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Wow, this is just what this team was missing. I'm throwing it down now: new video boards = 16-0 record and Super Bowl. Of course, Comrade Snyder in his grand magnanimity, would NEVER pass along the cost to the season ticket holders, would he?

Posted by: playahatah | January 20, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: playahatah | January 20, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

No, I'm thinking maybe the 2-time Super Bowl winning coach and accomplished General Manager was more along the lines of "what this team was missing." Good lord, with fans like you who needs cowboys/eagles fans invading Fed Ex.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 20, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Now I know I've arrived when I get attacked by the Barn after he takes a break from suckling the teet of the Lower Potomac Indigenous Peoples. Also, I'm not a fan of this team, I'm a former fan who now HATES the Burgundy and Gold.

Your response indicates the typical Lower Potomac Indigenous Peoples' fan idiotic blindness; moves in the off-season AUTOMATICALLY equates to wins on the field without a single down played right? Please. Champions of April yet again...

Posted by: playahatah | January 20, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: playahatah | January 20, 2010 2:13 PM

Oh wow what a man of great convictions, who drops his support of his favorite team when they lose a few ball games. So tell me, do you drop your friends and family too when they hit tough times, or is your lack of loyalty reserved for just your sports teams.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 20, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Wow, there are actually four other teams with a worse game experience than FedEx?!

Posted by: RichinVA | January 20, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

you people are crazy if you think that Snyder is even remotely considering firing Cerrato.

Posted by: playahatah | October 23, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

hah

Posted by: Barno1 | January 20, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I may disagree with some of his ownership moves, but I will never say a bad word about Abe Pollin.

To the people who belittle him with sophomoric and moronic nicknames: do you all have any idea about how much good Abe Pollin has done for DC? Do you all have even the slightest notion of how much charitable work and giving this man has done? What was the last charitable thing that you all did that actually cost you money from your pocket? Oh, that's right, most people can remember that far back.

So fine, criticise Abe Pollin for his ownership moves but please don't attack this good man's character. He truly has done more in his lifetime for others that you all (or me) could ever dream of.

Posted by: playahatah | February 26, 2009 2:36 PM

Replace "Abe Pollin" with another man who has given millions to charity, "Dan Snyder", and see if playhatah can hold back the personal attacks against an owner who's moves he "may disagree with" but "never say about a bad word about."

Hypocrite

Posted by: Barno1 | January 20, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

It sounds like playahatah reads Gregg Easterbrook. Ha-Ha. What a d-bag. He probably drives a Prius too.

HA!

Posted by: peterandmeredith | January 20, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

What we really need is to end the game so we can listen to Dan Snyder's endless commercials. That's why we show up, right, so we can get bombarded with advertising? It drowns out the foul-mouthed fans too.

Posted by: InTheMiddle | January 20, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

That Ted Abela guy sounds pretty kick ass

Posted by: G20FdaCowboys | January 20, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

I would be happier with a better team.

Posted by: affirmativeactionpresident | January 20, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

I almost always watched the Skins on TV, but this year I went to a few games due to the absurdly cheap resale tickets. After those experiences, I realize that having jumbo replay screens makes a big difference to one's enjoyment of the game. Good move by the Skins.

I'm sure there are a zillion other things they could improve at FedEx Field, but this is a good start.

Posted by: acoberst1 | January 20, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Next they should increase the number of bathrooms. They added about 20,000 seats after the stadium was built, but they did not add one bathroom.

Posted by: skinsfan1010 | January 20, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

I would be happier with a better team.

Posted by: affirmativeactionpresident | January 20, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

affirmative action president. Sad, but true.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 20, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Some of ya'll's hatred for Snyder is sickening...

This man is damned if he does...damned if he doesn't!

Posted by: rickyroge | January 20, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

I would love to see Snyder build a roof around FedEx like RFK has, so that it can trap the nose inside the stadium.

Posted by: RedskinAddict | January 20, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Screw the screens! If you want to keep up with the Jones, make the team itself bearable to watch....then do all the ancillary horsehockey!

Posted by: mdrockjock | January 20, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Will Synder subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket on the new HDs so we can watch quality football games?

Posted by: jcaruana | January 21, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Man I've been complaining about this for 5 years at least. I'm shocked Danny is removing advertising space! How's he going to make up for that? I'm assuming that during replays and stats that Bank of America will be scrolling underneath.

Posted by: TheRealDuffman | January 21, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Good idea--he can show the Cowboy games on the big screens so the fans have something worth watching.

Posted by: JCM-51 | January 21, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Okay, so now can we pave the Gray Parking Lot? That's all I ask for...please pave that lot!

Posted by: LuvMySkinz | January 23, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Call me crazy but I'd actually like to see a replay of every play instead of a commercial after every play. I'd also like to see replays of plays being challenged... Even if it looks like we will not win the challenge. Looks like Dan is starting to do the right thing. I'll wait to see if this is a true change or merely a temporary change until the masses stop revolting.

Posted by: pstrboy | January 23, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

...yea, and dating back 18 years to the 1992 season that team in Raljon can keep its nine losing seasons, three playoff wins, one NFC East title, and its 73-70-1 (0.507) regular season home record.

Posted by: DickNixon | January 24, 2010 1:18 AM | Report abuse

Now don't complain about the size of the new HD screens. Remember we'll have two of them. The furthest you can be from either is if you are sitting on the 50 yardline. They'll get the point across for sure, as long as they are well shaded.

Thanks, Danny!

Posted by: jighazelton | January 24, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Reading some of these comments and I'm thinking this is the most naive fanbase in all of sports. The L'il General has been trying hard from THE FIRST FREAKING DAY HE BOUGHT THE TEAM. And every year he says the same thing "I've been wrong, learned my lesson and now things are going to get better - as long as you renew your season tickets."

Lets modify the phrase "there's a sucker born every minute." For 'Skins fans it's "there's a sucker re-born every offseason."

Posted by: Leofwine | January 24, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

SAINTS ARE NFC CHAMPIONS. COWBOYS ARE NFC EAST CHAMPIONS. WISH THE COWBOYS HAD DONE BETTER, BUT SO LONG AS THEY BEAT THE REDSKINS TWICE A YEAR I AM HAPPY. GEAUX SAINTS.

Posted by: JCM-51 | January 24, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

futbolclif wrote:
Now you can see them suck in HD!

Do you need to purchase season tickets for that?

Posted by: RalphZero | January 25, 2010 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Danny's plans were to scrap Fed-Ex field and build a new stadium in DC similar to Jerry-Land. Now that the team as tanked and the waiting list is down to about 12, he's changing the plans.

This HD thing is just another quick-fix patch just like the team.

Posted by: RalphZero | January 25, 2010 7:47 AM | Report abuse