Rob Dibble: "Mark McGwire is a cheat"

Plenty of people have lobbed criticism toward Mark McGwire in the past few days. But I'm not sure anyone's worked up quite as much indignation as our own Rob Dibble. His opening monologue during his daily Sirius XM show on Tuesday was straight fire, the sort of thing that would have Bob Carpenter scrambling under his desk and looking for cover.

"This guy cheated every player like myself, Steve Trachsel, Don Mattingly, Paul Molitor, anybody who didn't have to use performance enhancing drugs," Dibble said. "I don't care if it's for health, statistics, financial, it doesn't matter....He was one of the best and the chosen few. God gave him an ability better than me, better than 99.9 percent of human beings. Alex Rodriguez is in that category. Manny Ramirez is in that category. They all chose to take it a step further. They need to apologize for duping the fans.

"I find it ironic that McGwire had a list and he waited five years to call these people on the list. Don Hooten, the Maris family and all these other people on this list that he knows he cheated, he knows he lied to. All he is doing here is doing more self-serving stuff so that he can come back to Major League Baseball as a hitting coach. I don't think Major League Baseball should allow Mark McGwire back in the game. So that's my own opinion. This guy has not done enough to tell people the truth."

Was that it? No, that was not it.

"I feel dirty watching Bob Costas sit there and watch Mark McGwire tear up when for every Mark McGwire there's a hundred guys like myself that busted their ass and failed to make it to the Major Leagues or failed to play 10 years in the Major Leagues and their bodies deteriorated," Dibble later said. "John Kruk talked about it, a lifetime .300 hitter. His statistics will not get him in the Hall of Fame because he chose not to go Mark McGwire's route. Mark McGwire is a cheat, he's a liar and he ripped us all off. And he owes the players that did it on the up-and-up - the Eric Davises, the Don Mattinglys, whose statistics fall short of the Hall of Fame - an apology."

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 13, 2010; 12:57 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: When Steve Spurrier taunted Jim Haslett
Next: The best Joe Bugel story ever

Comments

Rob Freakin Dibble. Amen. No matter how much the Nats screw up, at least they hit bullseye with that dude.

Posted by: dovelevine | January 13, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Is that the Clipse with Canseco and Dibble? Why and where?

Posted by: fushezzi | January 13, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Damn!!! Dibble dropped the hammer on Mark("i'm not here to talk about the past")McGwire, Bill Rhodens article in the NY Times also takes Marky-Mark to task and calls for him to be eliminated from consideration for the HOF,i'm in that camp also no HOF for you Mr.McGwire, if he gets one vote then the HOF is a joke.

Posted by: dargregmag | January 13, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Damn skippy! Rob Dibble is a breath of fresh air. I can only hope he aims for the enabler coward Selig and LaRussa next!

Posted by: mjwies11 | January 13, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Rob D.

even when the Nationals stink, you make the games fun. I totally agree with you on Mr. McCryer.

Posted by: garyolney | January 13, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Um, yeah, that's about right. McGwire's statement of regret "that he played in the steroids era" is a special kind of stupid. It is the last measure of a lifelong narcissist who still needs to make himself the victim, not the perpetrator.

McGwire can earn forgiveness once he states what he took and where he got it. And forgiveness does not mean entry into the HOF.

Nicely played, Rob Dibble.

Posted by: ElGordo9 | January 13, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

this man knows which end of the keyboard to beat on, or which end of the microphone to put next to his mouth. right on right on right on.

Posted by: bnglfn | January 13, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

What a whiner. Move on folks. He apologized. Be a man and accept it. The details won't change anything. The HOF will wind up having to admit many players who did steroids. Deal with it.

Posted by: mackmor | January 13, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Right on Rob. I'm a DC native but have been a Reds fan since 84. When the Expos came to DC I immediately adopted them. Then when you came to DC in the booth, it was like a match made in heaven for me: Nasty Boy + The Nats

You hit the nail on the head regarding someone like Eric Davis. He was my idol growing up. I admired his style of play, his character, and the way he carried himself. He made the choice to play clean and because of that he took a beating and didn't put up steroid type numbers... but to this day I still look up to his example on the field.

I played baseball all the way into college and didn't reach my dream to be pro but I did it all w/o messing with the roids... so long story short, I totally agree with you and these guys should not be let off the hook!

Posted by: travelingavery | January 13, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Keep your right on negative remarks directed at the Keystone DEADGnats... otherwise....you'll wear out your tenuous welcome if you don't know when to shut the **** up......

Posted by: FletcherChristian1 | January 13, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

To be honest, Eric Davis' 1998 stats seem a little "inflated" themselves. Especially taking into account he was 36 at the time and had broken down numerous times in the previous years.

Just saying....

Posted by: fushezzi | January 13, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

This makes it clear the Mitchell Report was Selig's attempt at a whitewash -- throw a few under the bus. Hopefully, Selig will be seen as an enabler of the steroid era and kept out of the HoF.

Posted by: gbooksdc | January 13, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Why does no one else think Dibble took steroids? Roid rage???? The guy was a psycho!!! Sure he is fine on TV no but remember how he threw at people hit a fan? No, well he did. Sure is easy to deny roids when you know you were never tested. He's a jackass people he always has been!!!

Posted by: dimension71 | January 14, 2010 4:14 AM | Report abuse