Snyder: "The foundation...is awesome"

(By Win McNamee - Getty)

I earlier lauded the fact that Daniel Snyder wasn't on the podium during the introduction of Mike Shanahan. Out of sight, out of mind, out of the plane during scouting trips to see hot young quarterbacks, was the idea.

Well, not so fast. Snyder may not have been on the podium, and he may have declined The Post's interview requests, but he did do a few on-camera reaction pieces. So much for the disappearing act.

I saw one Snyder interview with Kelli Johnson, and another with Larry Michael, and then I came to this conclusion: Dan Snyder isn't particularly quotable. Also, Mike Shanahan exudes leadership. I mean, he must have been drizzling leadership all over Snyder's steak, the way the owner talked. The waitresses must have been sopping up all that excess leadership.

Oh, and it's a very exciting day, also.

The one piece of legitimately great news came during the interview with Michael, when Snyder said this.

"I think [Shanahan] has built great teams and he's gonna build one here. It's gonna take some time, we understand that. We're excited about having a high draft pick, and we've got a great leader."

Snyder also likes the non-sequitur, turns out. He was also asked about the Redskins' reputation for winning offseason championships, and whether he's bothered by such an accusation.

"I think what they're referring to is the aggressiveness in free agency," Snyder said. "Obviously the last two years we really have disappointed, and I think it's time to really build. We've got the foundation here now, with Bruce and Coach Shanahan [as] our leaders."

I think the "Offseason Champs" school are referring to not just the aggressiveness in free agency. I think splashy coaching changes count, too. Anyhow, while the purported willingness to take time was good, the gushing praise was a bit much.

"He's someone that I've always thought so highly of, I never thought he'd ever be available," Snyder told Johnson. "And it's just an opportunity that is really really important for us, so we're excited."

Never though he'd ever be available? Everyone is available, when the check's cash. He's been available for more than a year. More Snyder quotes from the two interviews.

On leadership: "Well you know, he [has a] disciplined approach, he understands all facets of the game, he understands personnel. He's somebody that really truly exudes leadership, and to have that is really great."

On leadership: "He's very comfortable, and he exudes leadership. It's really a pleasure to be with him."

On the 2009 team coming apart at the seams: "Well, we were 4-12, and two last place division seasons, and we're all very disappointed. We feel bad, I feel terrible for the fans, and it's now in good hands with Bruce and Mike. And I'm just ecstatic to be in this position."

On how exciting this is: "Big time exciting, big time exciting."

On irrational exuberance: "I think 2010 already has had a victory, so it's going to be a great decade."

On Shanahan's resume: "Not only the credentials but he has the discipline, the competitive drive, the leadership skills. He's a man that needs no introduction. I'm real excited."

On Shanahan's resume: "Well he's a winner. And when you've got somebody with that background and that experience and where we are right now as a franchise and what we need to build, the foundation now with Mike and Bruce is awesome. So we're real excited about it. it's a big deal."

On the Skins' tradition: "He knew and felt it. He bleeds burgundy and gold now."

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 7, 2010; 8:31 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Why Arenas was unfit to take the court
Next: Stackhouse on Gilbert, guns and goofing

Comments

Danny Boy have you checked out next years schedule? Good luck with that one.
Vikes,Colts,PackersNFC East? Pretty tough.

Posted by: ridgely1 | January 7, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

My 2 cents:

1. Super Bowls without John Elway: Zero
2. Allen: Teams HE built to win Super Bowls: ZERO
3. Quote (sort of) from yesterday that scared me: Shanahan: "I've known Dan for 10 years..."
4. Shanahan is VICE President of football ops. Who is President? Oh yeah, same dude.
5. What could the interview have included during 2 days during the sleep-over at Danny's house? What question, based on his VAST experience, could Dan have asked that convinced him that Shanahan was the right man for the job, over say, everyone else they interviewed? This is the same way he came to the conclsion that Zorn was his man.

Sorry for the negativity, but I really see 3 more years of 8-8 football, maybe a playoff appearance. Until Dan moves to France and buys the NFL Package to watch the Redskins play, I have no faith.

Posted by: Leeguru | January 7, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

I'm encouraged by how yesterday's news conference was done. Dan seemed to want to show that he's stepping back some (and not micro-managing the team).
I saw his interview with Lindsay Czarniak, and I was wow'd by how casual he was; I've never seen him smile so much,either. So, I hope this is the new hands-off, but supportive & big picture & thus likeable type owner.

Posted by: Max231 | January 7, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Everyone likes to talk about how many Super Bowls Shanahan won without Elway. Has anyone bothered to look to see how many Super Bowls Elway won without Shanahan? I think you'll find them to be the same.

Posted by: drbatchelor | January 7, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

To be perfectly fair, people keep saying...

Shanahan without Elway = ZERO Superbowls Rings.

well, the same hold true this way too...

Elway without Shanahan = Zero Superbowl Rings.

Extremely hard building the necessary elements that can constitute a Championship caliber roster, it will take time, there will be some missteps, but everyone has to be pretty happy that the pieces are in place for optimism. This team now has real football minds at work, that hasn't been the case for the majority of the Snyder years.

Posted by: sichon | January 7, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

the anti zorn comment---

(paraphrase)
jason campbell has a ton of talent. its my job to build an offense around the talent of my players. thats what coaching is.

zorn...molded west coast garbage to a lot of dudes not sorted for a WC system...

Posted by: carsonspence | January 7, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Man, do we love to hate...

Historically, and I could be wrong, probably am... how many coaches won SB's with different QBs?

Gibbs (did it with 3)... Parcells (2)... Shula (2)... all of the other multiple winners did it with one QB...

So would you all turn down the Hoodie if he came here? Walsh in his prime? Would you shun Chuck Knoll? Let's give this a ride (like we really have a choice) and see the Danny can keep his fingers outta da pie!!!

Posted by: bschaef12 | January 7, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

having some sort of pessimism with this hiring is understanding, if only because snyder is still in the picture..but the negative talk on shanahan doesn't make any sense to me...who would people rather have as the redskins head coach, who would've been attainable? this team drastically needs discipline and direction, and shanahan should be more than capable of supplying that

Posted by: jdwood84 | January 7, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Steinbog: You mislabeled the "2010 already has had a victory" quote. That should go in the "winning the offseason bucket."

Despite the nice playacting he did yesterday, Snyder still hasn't learned that there's only one kind of "victory" sports: When you put more points on the board than your opponent.

Buckle up for a couple of 6-10 seasons, more hand-wringing, and another splashy press conference with yet another coach.

Posted by: c5karl | January 7, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I saw the Channel 4 interview, and you are right on the mark, Steinberg. Snyder is an awkward public speaker. Whether he's too guarded or what, I don't know, but Snyder doesn't drip confidence and leadership. For a billionaire, he should walk around like he's a big swinging you-know-what. That also contrasts with all those rumors about what he's like behind closed doors, where apparently he unleashes his arrogance. To see him scurrying away from the media and trying to jump into the Escalade after the dinner at The Palm was comical.

Contrast that with Shanahan, who strutted slowly, calmly, coolly, and confidently even as cameramen and reporters scrambled around him. That man, in your words, "exudes leadership."

Snyder says Shanahan is a perfect fit. Well, we'll have to see...Snyder has not earned the benefit of the doubt.

Posted by: rooster75 | January 7, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

I feel the same way about the 'Skins that I do about the Nats: I'm not worried about championships at this point, I just want to see some competence. Fielding a mediocre team would be progress. Let's set our sights on .500 for a couple of years, and work our way up to contending for a championship.

Posted by: TomServo | January 7, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Good call bschaef12.....3 coaches have won with diff QBs! Stop the negative people! Saying Allen hasn't built an SB team... Blah, blah, blah. That's been our problem in Washington, we always want ppl that have already had greatness. How about we shoot for guys that have the ability to BE great, not already BEEN great. I want discipline in that locker room, we need it! Sick of watching DeAng Hall starting fights on field and sounding like an idiot off field. Run there asses off so they're too tired to talk to the camera!

Posted by: kevinlc555 | January 7, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

We're still screwed

Posted by: peterandmeredith | January 7, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

"Elway without Shanahan = Zero Superbowl Rings."

Elway=3 super bowl appearances on teams that had NO business being there...elway is the best QB EVER

Posted by: nattylite88 | January 7, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

It's annoying that Snyder doesn't see that his devotion to the rift with the Post only continues his PR problems. And now that he doesn't have the Times to give scoops to, he'll spoon feed national media. A bigger man would just let it go and give the Post some pro forma snippets.

On the other hand, there's nothing surprising about Snyder doing interviews of some kind when a new coach is introduced, is there? That would happen in all 31 other NFL cities, right? And, sadly, it's not surprising that those interviews were with Kelli Johnson who is (1) hotter than you are and (2) affiliated with an official Redskins partner/media outlet.

Finally, of course all his remarks are redundant and idiotic. Were you expecting thoughtful, insightful, etc.? His only skill is aggression (passive or otherwise). For grace, you'll have to look elsewhere.

Posted by: DCUnited2 | January 7, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Yet again, I'm amazed (though I shouldn't be) at the gullibility and stupidity of the fans of the Lower Potomac Indigenous Peoples.

I've read comments like "Danny's off to a great 2010 start!" or "Danny's finally learned his lesson!" What makes you all think that anything has changed? Do you all not recall the past 10 years?

The Peoples' fan base has to be to stupidest, most delusional, and easiest to separate from its money in all of the NFL. They truly deserve getting ganked year after year by Comrade Snyder's lies the mistreatment from his Salacious Crumb lackey Comrade Donovan.

Posted by: playahatah | January 7, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I don't think people are dwoning Allen and Shanahan because of comparasons to what has happened in the past. What I point out is nothing in their past is pointing towards success here. In fact, it shows that they have NOT succeeded as much as some are pointing out in the past. I'm all for finding the next Bobby Beathard or Joe Gibbs 1.0.

Posted by: Leeguru | January 7, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

"I think 2010 already has had a victory, so it's going to be a great decade."

So begins the 100 game season.

Posted by: dcsween | January 7, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nattylite88 | January 7, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Really? Dan Reeves took more than one team to the Super Bowl- did he deserve to be there? Elway always had targets/offensive weapons around him. Granted, he made them look really good, but that's a two way street.

It Shanahan to create a run blocking scheme that took the pressure off Elway and made, like, 15 different backs into pro-bowlers. He also had the sense to get Ray Rhodes to run the D for at least part of the time he was there.

You can't extract the success of the one guy from the other. Whether any of the past presages the future remains to be seen, but you can't take the bonafides away from the guy. He earned them.

Also, at this point, I take consistent NFC East contender. Shanahan's teams contended even in the worst of times.

Posted by: LarryBud | January 7, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

To you guys bellyaching about the hiring of Allen / Shanahan , I gotta ask -- What do you want? Vinny back?! .. Seriously, regardless of whatever misgivings you might have, do you really not think the 'Skins are 10x better off with Allen / Shanny running the show than they were with Snyder / Ceratto ?! C'mon ... Honestly, I think a lot of you are not-so-secretly rooting for failure because you get-off on the complaining more than you would on the team actually having some success ..... You know who you are , and to you I say go **** yourselves ......

Posted by: RoidRage | January 7, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Snyder exudes...welll.....nothing.

No problems with Shanahan and Allen. But at this point- after 10 years of futility - have to wait for tangible results.

Posted by: i155133 | January 7, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

We all just have to wait and see, but lets take a break from the negativity for our own sakes. Short of selling the team, I don't see what more Snyder could have done to demonstrate that the team is changing its approach. Sure, it could all turn out to be meaningless again. We'll know more after the draft in April. Unless Campbell refuses to re-sign, I'll assume it is business as usual if we take a QB at 4.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | January 7, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

"Snyder exudes...welll.....nothing."
Posted by: i155133 | January 7, 2010 12:53 PM

MY GOD, THIS IS THE BEST POST EVER.

Posted by: bestmick1 | January 7, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

"Awesome" loses some of its meaning coming from an owner/interviewer who was "blown away" by Zorn.

Posted by: rooster75 | January 7, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse