Vegas odds on Portis, Campbell

Anyone who watched the Mike Shanahan introductory press conference this week came away with the impression that Jason Campbell was staying, and Clinton Portis was going. "Anyone" apparently included oddsmakers; the PR machine behind Bodog.com sent out 2010 Redskins odds, which favored Campbell over Portis.

I know everyone may not be as obsessed with the sports odds as I am, but suffice it to say you'd have to bet more money than you'd win if you think Jason Campbell will start in Week 1, and you'd win more money than you'd bet if you like Portis in the starting lineup.

Also, the oddsmakers think the Redskins will finish fourth in the NFC East, which I guess isn't surprising. And they think Sam Bradford is the team's most likely draft pick. Sigh. The odds:

Will Jason Campbell be the starter for week 1 of the 2010 NFL season

Yes: -140 (Bet $140 to win $100.)
No: +110 (Bet $100 to win $110.)

Will Clinton Portis be the starter for week 1 of the 2010 NFL season?

Will the Washington Redskins finish above fourth in the NFC East for the 2010 Regular season?

Yes: +110 (Bet $100 to win $110.)
No: -140 (Bet $140 to win $100.)

Will the Washington Redskins make the NFL's biggest free agent signing this offseason?

(Player to receive the largest overall dollar amount for the package will be deemed the biggest free agent signing for the purpose of this wager.)

What player will the Washington Redskins draft with the fourth overall draft pick?

Sam Bradford: 3/2
Jimmy Clausen: 9/4
Russell Okung: 12/5
Field: 5/2

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 8, 2010; 11:51 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gilbert becomes America's punchline
Next: Frank Hanrahan moves on from ESPN 980

Comments

As far as draft goes...

Field Please! We NEED an O-line!

Posted by: MillBurray | January 8, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Okung is O-Line MillB

Posted by: fushezzi | January 8, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Okung for President! Or Spiller. Stick a fork in Portis's @zz.

Posted by: Corvis777 | January 8, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Easy $$ on Portis not returning. Shanny didn't like his work ethic in DEN, much less 7 years later past his prime. BYE BYE.

Posted by: HogsHaven | January 8, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

These odds are for entertainment purposes only, right?

Posted by: VeloStrummer | January 8, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

No QB would thrive with this OL. Skins must fix that problem first. If the QB play isn't greatly improved, you address that issue next year. Bottom line is we have too many problems to fix in one year. I can promise you QB is not our most glaring need. The OL is and must be fixed this year.

I believe, however, that JC will greatly improve with time to throw. He is more of a 5 to 7 step passer with a big arm. Problem for him is he took three step drops and always threw short patterns. That was by design by the coaching staff to save his life.

FA - RG and C
First round - LT - second most important position on the field. Skins must draft a franchise player here. You won't get one in FA and mostly likely won't get one in later rounds.
Second round - RT
Fourth round - OLB - must get Orakpo full time at DE.
Fifth round - RB
Seventh round - FS

Posted by: afiorillo | January 8, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Only surprise to me is that the oddmakers say both CP26 and JC17 have a fighting chance to still be playing for Washington at the 2010 season opener.

If either sticks around, I predict no better than a 7-9 season next year -- but if they both stay, the Redskins will be extremely lucky to win 5 or more games.

Both have loser written all over them -- and if you leave both in the same backfield -- the combination is even worse.

Posted by: Vic1 | January 8, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Vic, you're like the Sol Rosenberg character in those Jerky Boys cds. "Sue everybody!!!"

Really, is there anyone in DC you don't want fired or cut?

Posted by: Barno1 | January 8, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

"Really, is there anyone in DC you don't want fired or cut?"

Barno

We can keep Ovie and the other CAPS...

Ryan Zimmerman is a keeper...

I like London Fletcher's approach to the game...

and the Redskin cheerleaders are usually smoking hot.

The POTUS and First Lady seem to have the city charmed... but I have never understood the Left Coast fascination with Nany Pelosi.

I'm pleased the see we're keeping Bob Gates as SECDEF...

and I guess we'll keep you around too, if only for comic relief.

Posted by: Vic1 | January 8, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

All these odds prove is that for the umpteenth time, Vegas knows a helluva lot more about predicting the future than the average idiot fan.

Of course Campbell and Portis will be here next year. Why anyone would argue differently is beyond me.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 8, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

So sayeth the average idiot fan who predicted a 12-4 season and playoffs -- along with a pro bowl for JC17.

Posted by: Vic1 | January 8, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

The telltale evidence of whom really is running this team will make itself known on draft day if the Redskins do indeed acquire Bradford whom has a suspect injury that could shorten his career. I if I were Allen would go after as many stalwart offensive lineman as is allowed including getting and signing unrestricted free agents. Everything else is moot, especially if the OL is as porous as last year any new quarterback will get crushed like a grape and it will be money down the drain. The rebuilding of this team will take at least 2 if not 3 years to make them a perennial powerhouse again competing year in and year out for the NFC Championship. Dannyboy can see now that the band aid approach just does not work and he needs to get his prying grubby hands off this team or he should do the right thing and sell the team to anybody that knows how to run a professional football team. How long and how many years have we seen a new coach come and go around here, thinking the new Messiah is here and things are going to change?

Posted by: jamesjiven55gmailcom | January 8, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

No chance it's Bradford. I just don't see Shanahan wasting that pick. I think it's either Okung or Clausen, or possibly trade down with SF. I'd rather not see a QB, but if we do go that way, I'm praying it's not Bradford.

In years past, with Snyderato running the war room, I'd already be cringing. But this year I feel confident our picks will not be in vain. In Shanny I'll trust.

Posted by: RIP-21 | January 8, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I truly agree that the new G.M. & coach's first priority is an offensive line. Think about it. We went to the Super Bowl with Billy Kilmer as our quarterback. Why? Because we had an awsome offensive line. So maybe Jason Campbell deserves a chance to perform without having to run for his life everytime the ball is snapped. I also feel that he should have a better grasp of the game than he displays. After five years in the league he should perform better than he does, and I don't care how many coaches and offensive coordinators he's had. In my opinion he still performs like a rookie.

Also, here are the priority must go players for a better Redskin team.

Clinton Portis
Antwan Randle-El
Fred Smoot
Carlos Rodgers
Albert Haynesworth (?)
Reed Doughty
DeAngelo Hall
Kareem Moore
Once again my humble opinion, but Albert Haynesworth definitely should not have gotten no guaranteed 41 million. As much as he has been on the sideline, he should have a pom-pom in his hand instead of a helmet.

Last but not least. Daniel Snyder needs to stop trying to buy a Super Bowl with these hand-me-down ball players he keeps getting, draft some good quality players out of college, allow them to gel together as a team, and then bring the Super Bowl home to D.C.

Posted by: RAC55 | January 10, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse